CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that comment Cabo.
However, in my opinion, NO, they did not!
The murder of Rebecca in Coronado is another example of sloppy, inept, lazy police work here in San Diego, California.
Astonishing actually.
With the 3 detectives that I met at the McStay home "Dugal" inside the home talking to the families, was so..."whatever" as to the families questions. His favorite answer was, "Your guess is as good as mine".
When I went outside to have a cigarette. Dugals bosses were out there. One, having a cigarette.
Neither one of them were concerned about this missing family.
They were joking and laughing about other stuff.
Truly, they were very cavalier.
I will never forget these few minutes with my law enforcement.
In my opinion.
This branch of the San Diego law enforcement, screwed Summer and Joey's family, from day one.
It was all less important to them, then worrying about this missing family of four.
I guess, I didn't say this correctly.
Okay. Correctly.
They did not give a ****.
Degal, poo poed any and all suggestions by the family as to what could have happened.
His bosses were out front of the house talking and trading stories.
Then we have this trial.

I sincerely hope SDSO has learned a lesson about their policy/procedure. Dugal will have to live with this the rest of his life, no matter the outcome of this trial.

Was just reviewing Dr Rudin/Cognitech for his upcoming testimony. I found it interesting that Dr Rudin advertises Defocus/Deblur software on his website that works with blurred surveillance video images of faces or *license plates* and enables them to become clearly visible. I wonder if he did this on the truck in the Mitchley video???

Recover Detail Lost To Defocus Deblur - Cognitech
Defocus blur is constantly present in surveillance videos due to the limited depth of the field of a camera's optical systems. The defocus blur affects the ability to recognize faces and license plates.

Cognitech's Manual Defocus Deblur plug-in provides the end-user with an interface-friendly software tool that removes defocus blur without excessive 'ringing' artifacts. Traditional deblurring methods are associated with restoration errors (artifacts). Cognitech's artifact-suppressing technique removes such errors. Once the proper focus blur parameters are estimated by interactive real-time interface, and provided the image has sufficient resolution size, license plates and faces come into focus.

Here is a link to our Defocus blur interactive tutorial! Check it out!

CVI_ManualDefocusDeblur

Interesting, but I am not sure if they can make something appear in the dark that can't even be seen as a blur in the original video? That video is just so poor quality... *sigh*

Interesting, but I am not sure if they can make something appear in the dark that can't even be seen as a blur in the original video? That video is just so poor quality... *sigh*

I was trying to focus on the left (in our view) bumper where it juts out on CM's truck, to see if there was any sign of that jut on the Michley video pic but it's just so dark.

Absolutely I looked around with a critical mind.
LOL. I've always been interested in true crime. However, I did not go upstairs at all.

When you were there, did you look around with a critical eye? I mean, at the time, were you thinking that it was possible something occurred in that house? I put myself into the family’s shoes and I think I would assume they left on their own. It seems almost too bizarre to imagine that someone absconded with a family of four.

I was vacuuming this morning and thinking about it. I can actually see, from SB’s point of view, wanting to clean up before outsiders come walking through and think my kids are pigs. I guess what I am saying is it is almost too unbelievable to even let it enter your mind that someone beat 4 people to death, packed up their bodies and drove away with them. This is not to say it shouldn’t have crossed the minds of LE though, although it certainly does not happen often, that’s for sure.

<modsnipped quoted post and response>

Back to the subject—does anyone know of a case where someone deliberately disappears and leaves a large amount of money forever untouched in a bank account?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
I need a quick answer and I can’t find it in my notes and I’ve been trying to search the forum but I must be doing it wrong because I keep getting 0 results.

On the night of the 4th, what exactly did CM do at the house on the computer? He wrote himself a check, correct? Is that one he cashed or deposited? I can’t believe I don’t know the answer to this. I knew all this like the back of my hand, but there have been so many breaks and I have been so overwhelmed with life lately, I think my brain is purging information without my consent.

Hey guys,
I need a quick answer and I can’t find it in my notes and I’ve been trying to search the forum but I must be doing it wrong because I keep getting 0 results.

On the night of the 4th, what exactly did CM do at the house on the computer? He wrote himself a check, correct? Is that one he cashed or deposited? I can’t believe I don’t know the answer to this. I knew all this like the back of my hand, but there have been so many breaks and I have been so overwhelmed with life lately, I think my brain is purging information without my consent.

The check on the 4th wasn't cashed, he couldn't get a printer alignment page to print so couldn't/didn't print that check. He made one on the 5th for 500.00 more (than the created check on the 4th) and did cash that one.

The check on the 4th wasn't cashed, he couldn't get a printer alignment page to print so couldn't/didn't print that check. He made one on the 5th for 500.00 more (than the created check on the 4th) and did cash that one.
Thank you!

I also just found all my notes. It is all under Hanke and not Schroeder. Duh. Thanks a million for such a quick answer!

Great post OBE. I have somthing else to add. At this meeting between Dugal and both families, Detective Dugal said TWICE that they had reviewed Joey's bank accounts, and did not see anything funny going on.

TWICE! Mind you, this was well after 10 days since they'd all been missing. So, Chase Merritt had already been heavily messing around with the account by then.

I don't know who they had look at the financials, but obviously, they were deaf, blind and dumb.

IMO

And that is exactly why Chase deleted and backdated the fraudulent checks. When the detectives took a 'quick look' and reviewed the books, things looked fine because the crook took small amounts, similar to his usual pay checks, and he wrote the ones to MsMetal as well, so it didn't look as suspicious.

I think DuGal was mainly looking at the books to see if rumours were true ----was EIP a real, legal business or a front for drugs? And/or , did the family voluntarily run off and clean out their accounts for their trip?

I don't think they were looking closely enough st that time, to see if someone deleted checks that were created on Joeys QBook account.

And that is exactly why Chase deleted and backdated the fraudulent checks. When the detectives took a 'quick look' and reviewed the books, things looked fine because the crook took small amounts, similar to his usual pay checks, and he wrote the ones to MsMetal as well, so it didn't look as suspicious.

Yes.

The only person it wouldn't fool is Joey who would discover as soon as he matched his bank statements to QBs

But he didn't need to worry about Joey.

Let's be honest, it makes no difference what vehicle he used to take the bodies out of the house.

The cheque puts him there, he's dark for almost 4 hours, starting from precisely the time he would have needed to leave to get there, he's not home when he calls Cathy back at 9.30, and the backdating and call to purge the account is a web he is firmly stuck in, the fibres of which he started spinning around himself from Feb 1st.

The defense is doing an excellent job of assisting the prosecution. First the missing wedding dress box, now the availability of tie-down straps.

MOO

yes - its yet another attempt at distraction as you say.

The case has descended into farce.

I am struggling to maintain interest anymore I have to say

My concern is that by the judge's third party culpability rulings the defense has been unlawfully allowed to contaminate the state's case with it's opening statement of the confession. They should have been forced to depose her before trial, in case this situation arose where IMO they probably never had any intention of calling her.

From what I understand the law dictates that third party evidence may not be adduced at trial if it is only sufficient to prove motive and there is nothing tying the third party to the murder. It's all well and good saying the state can say defence didn't call their star witness, but how does the court truly fix that jurors heard that and have nothing to weigh her credibility? I think the judge has to talk to the jury about it and tell them outright to disregard DK from their deliberations completely...or do something.

MOO

BBM, I agree as this trial coughs and sputters to the finish line with still no end in sight. How much longer will they keep this charade going i wonder?
What have we had this week one day of Trial? When is it going to resume again i wonder? It's ridiculous IMO.

My concern is that by the judge's third party culpability rulings the defense has been unlawfully allowed to contaminate the state's case with it's opening statement of the confession. They should have been forced to depose her before trial, in case this situation arose where IMO they probably never had any intention of calling her.

From what I understand the law dictates that third party evidence may not be adduced at trial if it is only sufficient to prove motive and there is nothing tying the third party to the murder. It's all well and good saying the state can say defence didn't call their star witness, but how does the court truly fix that jurors heard that and have nothing to weigh her credibility? I think the judge has to talk to the jury about it and tell them outright to disregard DK from their deliberations completely...or do something.

MOO

Mate I agree it is completely farcical.

There is no way the DK evidence can be allowed without the confession as the confession is the only evidence linking DK to the murder.

When you combine that with the fact the defence always knew about DKs seemingly rock solid alibi evidence, then you have a sabotaging of the trial.

Currently there is simply no evidence at all before the jury on which to base a reasonable possibility DK is the killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ann-Margrock