Potential Suspects and Persons of Interest

Just finished reading the Last Stone book. I would recommend to anyone who has followed this case and wants to see at least some of the loose ends tied up. I am confident that LLW Jr was indeed involved in the abduction/murder, though detectives involved in the case differ on whether he had accomplices and whether those accomplices were his father and uncle.

Teddy Welch is cleared, though his association with Leonard Kraisel is sad and tragic. In a nutshell, he was sold by his family to a child molester and that child molester was only arrested after he went on to molest the two sons of TW.

The Welch family is filled with dysfunction and abuse. Richard Welch is accused by several relatives of sexual abuse, physical assault and other acts of cruelty. To me, it's not a stretch to conclude he was involved in the Lyon sisters crime, even though he was never charged.

Readers may come away with different scenarios after finishing this book. If you read it, and again, I recommend, you may find it hard to believe anything that LLW said in the multiple interviews with MoCo police. Many with even a rudimentary knowledge of the legal system may wonder why he made the fatal mistake of not just remaining silent and lawyering up. My guess is that he felt he could push enough false information out there that would stymie the investigation while also gathering valuable intel on what was known by investigators. LLW's story changed from non-involvement, to being an observer, to having been involved with a changing cast of others who committed the crime.

I don't think the police were anxious to just convict LLW alone and call it a day. I think they tried very hard to bring anyone involved to justice, but a provable case was just not there for anyone other than LLW. Other investigators also arrived at the thought that LLW would have had an easy time kidnapping one child, but could not have acted alone with two.

It's a painful book but a well written and based on true interviews. It left me with a lot of questions on others, but did convince me of LLW's guilt.

Reactions: IDK
I also saw the post you refer to about "C.D." and like you, was wondering if there was another reference besides my earlier posts quoting Mileski's letter(s).

I quoted exactly what Mileski wrote; specifically "C.D." but I was never able to connect those initials to any specific individual or complete name. It is possible that Mileski simply made them up in his letter and later revealed the true name to police under their questioning. Or they might have stood for some prison nickname, as he claimed to have met the person "in the pen" (his words - meaning in prison).

It would certainly be interesting to know if Mileski and Welch were both at Jessup Prison at the same time and if they had any contact there.

Mileski, was a strong suspect, probably the strongest, yes he mentioned C.D. He did kill family members and sexually assaulted several young females but a direct connection to the Lyon sisters disappearance was not found or a connection to Lloyd Welch.

Raymond Rudolph Mileski
Mileski, was a strong suspect, probably the strongest, yes he mentioned C.D. He did kill family members and sexually assaulted several young females but a direct connection to the Lyon sisters disappearance was not found or a connection to Lloyd Welch.

Mileski was a criminal well known to MCP long before the Lyon case. He had been shot in an encounter with police attempting to arrest him during a burglary. He lost a leg as a result, and walked with a prosthetic one.

In November 1977, following an on-going family argument about a 19 year old male "boarder" staying with them, Mileski shot and killed his own son in the basement of his home with a high power deer rifle. When his wife and youngest son came running down the stairs, Mileski turned the gun on them, killing his wife and wounding the little boy.

That "boarder" (MCP has his name) was said to be the original source of the 2001 informant's story (mentioned in previous posts) alleging Marvin Peirce Peele II's and Mileski's connections to the Lyon case.

The "boarder" was said to have revealed this information shortly after being allowed back into the Mileski house crime scene to retrieve his personal belongings. Those statements to the 2001 Informant were NOT made public or relayed to MCP at the time (1977).

That would have been about December 1977, five years before the prison inmates told their very similar story about Mileski.

Mileski responded in writing to letters sent him in 2001 while in prison. In his return letters, he claimed intimate knowledge of who the abductor of the Lyon girls was and called him "C.D.", whom he claimed to have met in prison.

He did not admit in his letters to having been personally involved in the kidnapping, but did have suggestions that the girls' bodies might be found "in a rural area, near a sort of cabin where one might go for hunting or fishing." It is interesting that LE search efforts in Virginia were in just such an area.

Mileski, in his letter wanted it pointed out to his son Carl (16 years old in 1977), that the named "boarder" did not come into their life until AFTER the Lyon sisters incident.

This statement would indicate that he mistakenly believed Carl had offered the 2001 information to police about the "boarder" and the Lyon case connection. He hadn't, but it begs the question as to what he might have known - or what Mileski thought he knew. He wasn't completely denying what he thought Carl said, but was saying that Carl was somewhat mistaken and was making minor corrections as to dates and times.

Also, the statement indicates that Mileski was pretty clear about when the Lyon case occurred - and what his own living situation was at that time - since he seemed to be able to pinpoint other events (such as who was boarding at their house at a given time) so accurately, 26 years later. It might indicate that the Lyon case figured into his life personally.

While there might not have been a strong/known link between Mileski and Welch, there seems to be at least some coincidental links. Both were burglars and both were known to be armed while committing home break ins.

Peele (Mileski's alleged accomplice) was originally from Hyattsville (as was Welch) and he, too had many criminal charges on his record - including kidnapping, rape, assault and battery and possession of weapons. Peele lived in numerous rented rooms and houses in the Suitland, Maryland area - near Mileski's home and business.

The Tape Recorder Man (yes him again) was seen at Wheaton Plaza, but also at Iverson Mall and Marlow Heights Shopping Center only days before the girls went missing. Those two adjacent PG County malls were only minutes away from Mileski's Cabinet shop/ware house.

Mileski was known to have both a white panel truck or van which he used in his cabinet business, as well as a family station wagon - the types of vehicles which have been mentioned in connection with the Lyon case over the years.

Making a connection between Mileski and Welch today, after so many years, might be difficult, but there are possible ways this might be done. Knowing some of Mileski's associates and persons connected with Welch, might provide the link. Prison records might indicate if they served time together, and who else served with both of them at various specific times.

Knowing the exact location of Mileski's cabinet business/warehouse might provide clues as well.

Last edited:
Just to clarify what I was asking, I wanted to know if anyone could point me to the other reference to C.D. that someone had brought up and had noted C.D. coming in under different circumstances.

I'll look harder.

Raymond Rudolph Mileski

Mileski was a criminal well known to MCP long before the Lyon case. He had been shot in an encounter with police attempting to arrest him during a burglary. He lost a leg as a result, and walked with a prosthetic one.

In November 1977, following an on-going family argument about a 19 year old male "boarder" staying with them, Mileski shot and killed his own son in the basement of his home with a high power deer rifle. When his wife and youngest son came running down the stairs, Mileski turned the gun on them, killing his wife and wounding the little boy.

That "boarder" (MCP has his name) was said to be the original source of the 2001 informant's story (mentioned in previous posts) alleging Marvin Peirce Peele II's and Mileski's connections to the Lyon case.

The "boarder" was said to have revealed this information shortly after being allowed back into the Mileski house crime scene to retrieve his personal belongings. Those statements to the 2001 Informant were NOT made public or relayed to MCP at the time (1977).

That would have been about December 1977, five years before the prison inmates told their very similar story about Mileski.

Mileski responded in writing to letters sent him in 2001 while in prison. In his return letters, he claimed intimate knowledge of who the abductor of the Lyon girls was and called him "C.D.", whom he claimed to have met in prison.

He did not admit in his letters to having been personally involved in the kidnapping, but did have suggestions that the girls' bodies might be found "in a rural area, near a sort of cabin where one might go for hunting or fishing." It is interesting that LE search efforts in Virginia were in just such an area.

Mileski, in his letter wanted it pointed out to his son Carl (16 years old in 1977), that the named "boarder" did not come into their life until AFTER the Lyon sisters incident.

This statement would indicate that he mistakenly believed Carl had offered the 2001 information to police about the "boarder" and the Lyon case connection. He hadn't, but it begs the question as to what he might have known - or what Mileski thought he knew. He wasn't completely denying what he thought Carl said, but was saying that Carl was somewhat mistaken and was making minor corrections as to dates and times.

Also, the statement indicates that Mileski was pretty clear about when the Lyon case occurred - and what his own living situation was at that time - since he seemed to be able to pinpoint other events (such as who was boarding at their house at a given time) so accurately, 26 years later. It might indicate that the Lyon case figured into his life personally.

While there might not have been a strong/known link between Mileski and Welch, there seems to be at least some coincidental links. Both were burglars and both were known to be armed while committing home break ins.

Peele (Mileski's alleged accomplice) was originally from Hyattsville (as was Welch) and he, too had many criminal charges on his record - including kidnapping, rape, assault and battery and possession of weapons. Peele lived in numerous rented rooms and houses in the Suitland, Maryland area - near Mileski's home and business.

The Tape Recorder Man (yes him again) was seen at Wheaton Plaza, but also at Iverson Mall and Marlow Heights Shopping Center only days before the girls went missing. Those two adjacent PG County malls were only minutes away from Mileski's Cabinet shop/ware house.

Mileski was known to have both a white panel truck or van which he used in his cabinet business, as well as a family station wagon - the types of vehicles which have been mentioned in connection with the Lyon case over the years.

Making a connection between Mileski and Welch today, after so many years, might be difficult, but there are possible ways this might be done. Knowing some of Mileski's associates and persons connected with Welch, might provide the link. Prison records might indicate if they served time together, and who else served with both of them at various specific times.

Knowing the exact location of Mileski's cabinet business/warehouse might provide clues as well.

Knowing the exact location of Mileski's cabinet business/warehouse might provide clues as well.[/QUOTE]

Here is that quote of 2-16-01 Raymond Mileski again about “C.D.”

Quote: Yes there is objective and subjective matter on your subject area I could speak to; particularly as to a region -- within which (is) an area, within which is specific acreage that would involve something of a lodge; a place one would go for brief hunting or fishing stays...

In short, I'm probably as sure of who the perpetrator is in the Lyons case as the Md State Police are, having discoursed many times and in close quarters with that person over years at the "Pen"... (C.D. and I were "almost friends")...
Here is what I propose; Have your contact with the State Police place a request to Warden *advertiser censored* - as to my being transferred to the Maryland House of Corrections - this for the duration of my incarceration. This would improve my lot as well as facilitate easier logistics for who of police might be assigned . to speak with me. . When I told my son *advertiser censored*, "I know who did that", I was referring to what I had gathered at the "Pen"...Ray Mileski, 2-16-01." Unquote.

Although the ship may have already “sailed” on the Lyon Sisters case, and there’s apathy whether or not there actually is group involvement; I regained interest after reading the Last Stone page saying, “On his (Mileski’s) bedside table”, the night of the shooting, “police had found
a slip of paper with John Lyon’s phone number on it.“

Did Mileski murder his family members to keep them “quiet” about his possible past crimes revolving around his pedophile group activities? I don’t know.

Here is a review for you of R. Mileski’s locations.

R. Mileski, 30 of the 3900 block of Renwood St. Brentwood
source Oct 2, 1966 Evening Star Washington DC

break in to Oxon Hill Apt. - Raymond Mileski, 31 of 3900 block of Southern Ave SE
source: June 16, 1967 Evening Star Washington D.C.

Mileski resided in the 5810 block of Suitland Road in Suitland, Maryland .
source: Newspaper 1977 Prince Georges Man Convicted

In 1982, police dug up the yard of Raymond R. Mileski in 2013, actively investigating a connection.

There is a Polk's College Park, Hyattsville, Mount Rainier, and Riverdale City Directory: 1966 for searching.

Raymond Mileski was living at the Suitland Road, Suitland, Maryland address in March 1975 when the Lyon sisters went missing. It was the Suitland Road yard that police searched in 1982. At that time it was under different ownership.

Mileski, however had a workshop or warehouse for his cabinet installation business at a different PG County location. The 2001 informant indicated that it was on Beech Road, just off Route 5 (aka Branch Ave.) This was just north of the Washington Beltway, I-95.

I cannot tell if the Brentwood address is Brentwood, Maryland, or the Brentwood section of Washington, DC (two very separate places). If it was Brentwood, Maryland, then he lived within a few minutes drive of Hyattsville.

Last edited:
I noticed that Martha Jean Lambert was mentioned in this thread. I just wanted to know if anyone else suspects she was abducted by a non family member? I don’t believe her brother did it or may family member. Tell me what you think?

Richard, foureyes, I applaud your efforts!
Cheers,
djt

So many more people to research. So many connections and potential connections. Kraisel appears to be in the same complex in Hagerstown that Jerry Lee Beatty is in (but not the same facility -- MD Correctional Institute vs MD Correctional Training Center). At least it appears that way from the inmate locator.

So many more people to research. So many connections and potential connections. Kraisel appears to be in the same complex in Hagerstown that Jerry Lee Beatty is in (but not the same facility -- MD Correctional Institute vs MD Correctional Training Center). At least it appears that way from the inmate locator.

Jerry Lee Beatty has not previously been mentioned in this thread. He was 17 years old in 1982 when he and another man abducted, raped and murdered Stephanie Roper in Maryland. Don't know what connection he might have had in this case, as he would have only been 10 years old in 1975.

Jerry Lee Beatty has not previously been mentioned in this thread. He was 17 years old in 1982 when he and another man abducted, raped and murdered Stephanie Roper in Maryland. Don't know what connection he might have had in this case, as he would have only been 10 years old in 1975.

Yeah, no direct connection, just an interesting coincidence for those of us who follow regional murders.

Just finished The Last Stone myself. What a ride. While I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to listen to LLW talk in circles, playing pinball with the truth over all that time, I really admire their persistence in getting him to admit to as much as he did, and backing some of it up with finds of hard evidence.

I also admire them, and anyone who reads this book, for the restraint exercised by not simply burning down the homes of every family member that assisted in covering things up.

The District Attorney’s Cold Case Unit has indicted a suspect in a seven year old murder case.

Justin Anthony Thurman was indicted on Tuesday, but is still at large.

He faces First Degree Murder and Especially Aggravated Robbery charges for the death of Leslie Townsend in 2012.

She was shot and killed on October 8th while sitting in a car on East 14th Street.

They charged another suspect with the crime to begin with, but the District Attorney dropped the charges later because of a lack of evidence.

The Cold Case Unit took up the murder and linked Thurman to it.

They believe he is still in our area, and they are asking for the public’s help to find him.

If you have information on where he might be, please call the Cold Case Hotline at 423-209-7470, or the Chattanooga Police Department at 423-698-2525.
Cold Case Unit indicts suspect in 2012 murder - WDEF

I do not believe there is any connection between the Lyon Sisters and this more recent 2012 Tennessee case. Maybe I missed something?

I do not believe there is any connection between the Lyon Sisters and this more recent 2012 Tennessee case. Maybe I missed something?
My search linked it to the updated chronological list posted. I apologize if I posted in wrong thread. I can report and have it deleted if incorrect thread.

Raymond Rudolph Mileski

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back