MO - Samara Kitts, 23, Harley, 24, & Willa Million, 1, slain, Wayne Co., 25 Jan 2018

Thursday, Jan. 3rd:
*Status Hearing (@ 11am CT) - MO – Samara Fontaine Kitts (23), Harley Michael Million (24) & Willa Fontaine Million (17 mos) (last seen Jan. 25, 2018, reported missing Jan. 28, 2018, found Jan. 29, 2018, Mill Spring) - *Drew D. Atchison (24) arrested & charged (1/29/18) & arraigned (2/15/18) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder, 3 counts of armed criminal action, 2 counts of child kidnapping & tampering with motor vehicle. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Confessed to stabbing couple & fatally shooting the baby.
Change of Venue from Wayne County to Cole County.
Next Status hearing on 1/3/19. Trial is set for 6/1/20.

Thank you Niner. I met Samara Kitts's Mother online some time ago, shortly after this tragedy. IMO she is an example as to how an incomprehensible act like this changes the life of a family, forever. Losing your child and your Granddaughter who are the future of your family is just a big empty hole where Hope used to live.

JMO

I am not understanding how a trial date has already been set in this case for next June, another year and a half away this far in advance. He confessed right away to both Sheriff and in front of Deputies. His crimes spread over two days beforehand. Mental illness should not be an issue. He had to be of stable mind when he did these things. Almost anyone could say he must be crazy to have done something like this.

If we go by his mental state now and in the future by trial date, that's a loaded question. I assure you, if you lock me up in a small cell for two and a half years I promise I will be crazier than pet coon by trial date.

JMO

01/04/2019 Order
Filed By: JON EDWARD BEETEM
Order
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the State of Missouri and all its investigators and investigative officers, law enforcement agencies of the State of Missouri and all testing laboratories shall: Preserve all biological samples and physical evidence retrieved from the alleged victims, the crime scene, or any other person or place relevant to the investigation of this cause; Refrain from any testing which is likely to consume or otherwise alter a sample thereby precluding any independent testing of such sample by the defense absent further order of the court; Identify to the Defendant's attorneys all individuals in who possession or in whose custody said samples remain; Identify to the Defendant's attorneys all laboratories, testing facilities, officials and persons who have obtained said samples, their name, address and telephone number. Nothing in this order shall be construed as requiring the State to independently and /or separately disclose the identifications required above such information is set forth in the State's responses to discovery propounded by the Defendant.
Counsel Status Hrng Scheduled
Scheduled For: 03/28/2019; 10:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit

Received a notification from the Court that the March 28th court date has been continued, but there is no new date in Casenet yet. Will update when I receive it.

Well geez.... I was just about ready to post it here for today.

Thanks for the heads up JimmyPerez!

Bumping up for Samara!

Either @JimmyPerez or @jggordo - any updates for this?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

MONDAY, MAY 11, 2020
Judge/Commissioner Time Day Setting Event
JON EDWARD BEETEM 9:00 AM 1 OF 1 Pre-trial Conference
Event Text: Location: DIVISION 1 COURTROOM Cole Circuit
Address: 301 E HIGH JEFFERSON CITY MO

MONDAY, JUNE 1, 2020
Judge/Commissioner Time Day Setting Event
JON EDWARD BEETEM 9:00 AM 1 OF 21 Jury Trial
Event Text: Location: DIVISION 1 COURTROOM Cole Circuit
Address: 301 E HIGH JEFFERSON CITY MO
Displaying 1 thru 2 of 21 scheduled hearings and trials returned for case 18AC-CR01536.

This is per Casenet. I over the last number of years have lost all faith in the Death Penalty. In so much that DP qualified Defense Attorneys are required which are becoming few and far between. Most DP trials are up to about 3 years to get started. It stretches the ability of witnesses memories to testify, therefor built in Appeal fodder. Then of course around 20 years on Death Row just waiting for even more appeals. It just seem worth it to me anymore.

I still get posts from Sam's Mother. She has been nothing short of tortured in the aftermath of emotions, questions and moreover the usual "why". The long wait for a DP Trial does not guarantee anything to help her.

This is the only case I can think of that a small rural community pulled together to provide a Family a special made Coffin so that Mom, Dad and Daughter could be laid to rest Together.

There is no shortage of Sadness in this case.

JMO

Last edited:
Thanks jggordo. But nothing before May 1, 2020, eh?

I'm with you on the DP - way too long for justice.

The case is still under Missouri jurisdiction, just a different County and Judge. In MO a defendant can ask for, and get a different Judge once the Prelim is over. The County where these murders took place is very small. The Jail there was ill-equipped to handle his safety and long term protection. When his Lawyer requested a change of venue, it was granted very easily and quickly.

JMO

You’re correct. I had to double check. My apologies

Last edited:
No, and it's frustrating. There are only 3 Public Defender DP qualified offices in the whole state. To ad insult to injury the DP defendants use the same Attorneys to defend in post-trial Appeals as well.

JMO

Bumping up for either @jggordo or @JimmyPerez - any new court dates? Last one I have was 3/28/19 a status hearing that was continued to ??

TIA! :)

No hearings are set until the pretrial in May, 2020. The Judge entered an order on June 6th, but the text isn't available in casenet and there is no summary provided.

Nope. Text of the June 6th order still unavailable, nothing else set before the pretrial in May, 2020.

I believe this no text business has to do with this ruling back on Halloween.

JMO

10/31/2018
Judge/Clerk - Note
Evidence taken by Court Reporter K. Asel on 10-31-2018.
Order
The Court therefore sustains the motion, reserving the right to require a contested hearing, on any issues which go to the merits of the case or are otherwise properly contestable by the state, finding that same is required to protect the Defendant's constitutional rights, including but not limited to due process and fair trial. The Defendant is authorized to make ex parte written filings, under seal, which will be maintained by the Court until this cause is finally disposed of, either by trial, dismissal or plea. /s/JEB/jw

Per Casenet/MO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member