Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
the icon on the right side (its a stopwatch icon) indicates time left for a snapchap to be visible to the viewer. If I were the one ending a snap, I can set the time limit anywhere from 1 second to 10 seconds before it disappears off of the viewers screen forever. There is one other option - i can set it to be viewable with no limit. This means my friends or whoever i am sending it to can view it again and again until it's no longer available. I don't know if this option was available in Feb 2017.

I cant tell what Libby had it set to but the icon is an indication it was set for a time limit and the time is running out.

This is actually about Androids but Mr Hickman is working to crack the code on iPhones.

"But apparently Snapchat doesn't actually delete the photos. It just buries them deep inside a device.* A digital forensics examiner named Richard Hickman has found a way to resurface the private pictures on Androids. The finding is similar to a flaw Buzzfeed uncovered in December."
BBM

Actually, Snapchat Doesn't Delete Your Private Pictures And Someone Found A Way To Resurface Them

MOO that statement about the cold night always rang false, I have often wondered that the police may have drawn back intentionally because it was looking like a bad situation.

By midnight the police might have tried by saying search was off to media to encourage any possible assailant to make a move out of the woods. Modern criminals have smart phones too, and can track whats happening in real time.
After two years of looking at crime in and around Delphi, I can't believe the CaCoSherrif's was that naive or callous.
They deal with plenty of all kinds of crime, and a shocking number of sex offenders, many 'whereabouts unknown'.
They had absolutely no way of knowing that “it was looking like a bad situation.”

They had two missing girls in the woods, and the last thing on their mind would be that they had been murdered.

Even in a high crime area the homicide scenario would be unlikely.

Them calling off the search is completely standard, and the news coverage of that night paints the picture as to why.

That’s not an easy area to navigate.

Let’s say they somehow knew this was a homicide. The killer would have been long gone.

Murderers don’t hang around in the woods with their victims for several hours, especially when a search is underway.

I take their decision at face value.

Last edited:
If they found DNA at the crime scene, but the suspect's DNA was never entered into CODIS for a previous crime, there is nothing to match it to.
More and more, the use of DNA through genealogy is used, however, it's still illegal in several states.
Other states have restrictions like say for example, they can only use it after all other methods have been exhausted.
yes, do we know the legality of using familial dna to track down a suspect in Indiana? Because that might be why they are able to have DNA but aren't able to find a match. They obviously don't want to go down the GEDMatch route and then find all their evidence stemming from those discoveries tossed out.

yes, do we know the legality of using familial dna to track down a suspect in Indiana? Because that might be why they are able to have DNA but aren't able to find a match. They obviously don't want to go down the GEDMatch route and then find all their evidence stemming from those discoveries tossed out.
It is currently legal in all states.

Some states prohibit using criminal databases to analyze familial DNA matches, but the GEDMatch angle is fine.

the icon on the right side (its a stopwatch icon) indicates time left for a snapchap to be visible to the viewer. If I were the one ending a snap, I can set the time limit anywhere from 1 second to 10 seconds before it disappears off of the viewers screen forever. There is one other option - i can set it to be viewable with no limit. This means my friends or whoever i am sending it to can view it again and again until it's no longer available. I don't know if this option was available in Feb 2017.

I cant tell what Libby had it set to but the icon is an indication it was set for a time limit and the time is running out.

Interesting, so it looked like it was at 3/4 (from my memory) time gone, and the time on the left said 7 hours so does that presumably mean 7 hours already gone so about an hour was left?

Interesting, so it looked like it was at 3/4 (from my memory) time gone, and the time on the left said 7 hours so does that presumably mean 7 hours already gone so about an hour was left?

"7h ago" means that Libby took the picture or posted the picture 7 hours ago from when the viewer opens the snap. If the friend had opened Libby's snap an hour later you would be seeing "8h ago".

ETA: I'm not sure what you mean by hours left. The timer can be set from 1 second to 10 seconds.

They had absolutely no way of knowing that “it was looking like a bad situation.”

They had two missing girls in the woods, and the last thing on their mind would be that they had been murdered.

Even in a high crime area the homicide scenario would be unlikely.

Them calling off the search is completely standard, and the news coverage of that night paints the picture as to why.

That’s not an easy area to navigate.

Let’s say they somehow knew this was a homicide. The killer would have been long gone.

Murderers don’t hang around in the woods with their victims for several hours, especially when a search is underway.

I take their decision at face value.

Yes. My opinion only.
Here is one protocol outlined. Our city has hiking trails and occasionally hikers are lost. The search once initiated doesn't stop until found or called off. The sheriff department of course may have their own modified protocol.

Inside the Art of Backcountry Search and Rescue

Yes. My opinion only.
Here is one protocol outlined. Our city has hiking trails and occasionally hikers are lost. The search once initiated doesn't stop until
found or called off.

Inside the Art of Backcountry Search and Rescue
Yeah, I’ve seen both.

I’ve seen searches that go through the night, and ones that are called off at sunset.

I imagine that it comes down to the terrain, the weather, the age of those missing, the circumstances of their disappearance, and the standard protocol of the organization conducting the search.

With these circumstances, I completely understand why they called it off.

It wouldn’t have changed much anyways, as they were long since dead.

"7h ago" means that Libby took the picture or posted the picture 7 hours ago from when the viewer opens the snap. If the friend had opened Libby's snap an hour later you would be seeing "8h ago".

ETA: I'm not sure what you mean by hours left. The timer can be set from 1 second to 10 seconds.

Oh so the pic is only on the screen for so many seconds? IIRC the timer was at the 9 p.m. position ( if it was a clock ) so 6pm would be 5 seconds (halfway round) and 9 p.m. would be about 7 seconds I guess. Can it be viewed several times and/or saved? I just wondered how the person was able to show a reporter the SC photo if it can only be viewed the once for a certain number of seconds, that's all.

edit. I am talking about the circular icon in the top right of Libby's SC pic of Abbey, that the OP is also discussing, that looks a bit like a stopwatch that has gone 3/4 of a minute around the clockface.

Last edited:
The databases are growing, but it could take some time. Both my mom and I got tested on Ancestry because we wanted to see what countries they thought our ancestors came from. We got lots of family matches, and of course we matched each other. The closest match I had besides with my mom was with one of my dad's cousins. Beyond that, we didn't know who any of the other matches were. Some said 3rd to 4th cousins, but being that my mom's parents were cousins themselves, it could likely be more distant than that since we didn't know who they were. The rest were distant cousins that we did not know. If they have the killer's dna, eventually there will be a match somewhere. I have no doubt.

I wonder if they do have a match, but the person can justify or explain the presence of their DNA at the crime scene - someone known to the girls, family friend who can by recently, a searcher, someone involved with securing the scene, etc... This could explain the length of the investigation, confidence LE has that the community is safe even though we now know LE suspects someone with close ties to Delphi, the info being released about the car, and some of the weirder statements in the PC.

I am, of course, assuming that the DNA profile isn’t from semen.

Not accusing anyone at all JMO

Add to that the speculation that the killer had a baby goat or dog under his jacket, was wearing a respirator or mask of some kind, and might have had a congenital defect due to his prominent chin.

He should have stood out quite spectacularly...

Time for me to go to Specsavers, because for the life of me I can't see any of these things, just a blurry image of an average Joe wearing lumberjack boots, a hat, jeans and a jacket. o_O

moo

Last edited:
I haven't really heard anyone talk about the type of shoes BG is wearing. I say shoes tell alot about a person. Has this been discussed?

Well I'm a few pages behind but to me BG shoes look like black boots, higher than a shoe but more like a "booty" just come up to the ankle, squared off in the front, probably a zipper on the side, look kind of 70s ish style

Actually I found a pic of what I am trying to describe

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/af...0d_5699133330/Tom-Ford-black-boots-perfil.jpg

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    boots.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 6
Oh so the pic is only on the screen for so many seconds? IIRC the timer was at the 9 p.m. position ( if it was a clock ) so 6pm would be 5 seconds (halfway round) and 9 p.m. would be about 7 seconds I guess. Can it be viewed several times and/or saved? I just wondered how the person was able to show a reporter the SC photo if it can only be viewed the once for a certain number of seconds, that's all.

edit. I am talking about the circular icon in the top right of Libby's SC pic of Abbey, that the OP is also discussing, that looks a bit like a stopwatch that has gone 3/4 of a minute around the clockface.
You can screen shot it and save it.

Edit: It was on her story so anyone she added would’ve been able to see it.

Last edited:
If you are innocent, and have never committed a crime, under what circumstances would you want to refuse to give a DNA sample?

Matter of principle. Afraid LE will frame you. Afraid your insurance company will get hold of it and start charging you more because you have a genetic susceptibility to something. Afraid they’ll take your DNA and use it to clone more of you. Afraid they’ll take your DNA, patent it, and charge you to use it.

Note that some of these reasons are more valid than others.

Matter of principle. Afraid LE will frame you. Afraid your insurance company will get hold of it and start charging you more because you have a genetic susceptibility to something. Afraid they’ll take your DNA and use it to clone more of you. Afraid they’ll take your DNA, patent it, and charge you to use it.

Note that some of these reasons are more valid than others.

I get what you're saying but could you clarify?

- How is it a matter of principle not to give DNA when two young girls were murdered and LE is trying to find the killer?
Anyone with principles and morals would do their best to help LE.

-Why in the world would LE try to frame someone innocent?

-Why would an insurance company get hold of DNA and charge higher premiums? Surely LE would keep that info strictly private and insurance companies would not be allowed access? LE would be comparing DNA to the DNA found on the girls. I don't think they'd be testing for Lou Gehrig's ALS.

moo and EBM for spelling.

Last edited:
So you have to wonder how cam BG looks like a middle-aged man with a beer belly and tannish cap and also as a young man?
I don't see a beer belly or a definitive age when I look at it. I see someone wearing a baggie jacket, loose fit jeans, hat obstructing his hair, a possible fanny pack around his waist, possible knife sheath on his left side hip, hands not visable, chin tucked down. All in all, kind of hard to distinguish features let along age. AJMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks