GUILTY SC - Five Jones children, ages 1-8, Lexington County, 28 Aug 2014 *Father Arrested*

‘Over there!’: Timothy Jones, SC man accused of killing his 5 kids, led police to bodies

May 17, 2019

"LEXINGTON — Accused Lexington County child killer Timothy Ray Jones Jr., wearing an orange jail jumpsuit and handcuffs, led a caravan of police in 2014 on a three-hour drive, traveling some 170 miles to a rural logging road in central Alabama.

Jones had promised police he would lead them to the spot where he had dumped the bodies of his five children, ages 1-5, according to an investigator who testified Thursday during Jones’ death penalty trial.

“(Jones) was crying, and he yelled, ‘They’re over there!’ and he pointed,” testified former Mississippi Bureau of Investigation officer Eric Johnson, who lifted both his hands together — as if he were handcuffed — to demonstrate exactly what Jones had done.

“I walked over the knoll several yards, and 60-70 yards (away), I observed the bags,” Johnson testified Thursday before a Lexington County jury on the third day of Jones’ trial.

Inside the black garbage bags were the bodies of Jones’ children: Merah, 8; Elias, 7; Nahtahn, 6; Gabriel, 2 and Elaine, 1. From a distance, officers could see the bags had been disturbed by animals, Johnson testified....

...after nearly five years, 11th Circuit Solicitor Rick Hubbard is seeking the death penalty against Jones. Jones’s defense attorneys, who include Boyd Young, Rob Madsen and Casey Secor, seek a verdict of “not guilty by reason of insanity” — a verdict that would send Jones to a secure psychiatric hospital for a likely long stay. Another possibility is “guilty but mentally ill,” which would give Jones an automatic life-without-parole sentence."

‘Over there!’: Timothy Jones, SC man accused of killing his 5 kids, led police to bodies

‘Melt the bodies, saw bones to dust,’ reads note found in SC accused child killer’s car

“The odor was very, very distinct,” she said. “It was absolutely based on my professional opinion a decomposition of sorts. There was what I described as decomposition, old blood and then a chemical bleach type smell that was kind of all combined together. It was very strong and almost burn the nostril to work inside that vehicle.”

Hundreds of photographs of the five Jones children were also found inside the car, along with their birth certificates, social security cards, savings bonds, clothes, shoes, and information from their pediatrician.

The forensic scientist testified she tested a reddish-brown stain on the back of the car’s center console and it tested positive for blood. She also testified to finding human hair and a piece of human tissue in the back of the car.

Additionally, she testified to finding a presence of maggots inside the car, along with large bleach stains on the floorboards.

But perhaps most shocking were the handwritten notes found on a clipboard sitting in a cardboard box on the passenger seat.

“The paper says, number one, head to campground, it says melt bodies, it says, saw and bones…to dust…or small pieces,” she testified as she read the note aloud to the jury. Another note listed “burn up bodies,” “sand down bones” and “dissolve and discard” next to a smiley face.

Throughout the several hours of testimony, Timothy Jones Jr. sat motionless in the courtroom.

Those poor, helpless children never had a chance. He deserves the death penalty. Why he had custody, I cannot understand. RIP precious little ones. What a sad, horrendous and sorrowful case. Makes me ill.

Those poor, helpless children never had a chance. He deserves the death penalty. Why he had custody, I cannot understand. RIP precious little ones. What a sad, horrendous and sorrowful case. Makes me ill.

This is so upsetting.:(:(:(:(:(
Need to go back, and see why he had the kiddies, and why it has taken so long for trial, if his car, had all this evidence.
The evil we find is incredible.:eek:

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 4h4 hours ago
Back at the Lexington County Courthouse for Day Five of the Timothy Jones Jr. murder trial.

Here are some pictures from Friday, when an audio recording of Jones's second interview with police was played for the jury.

D7Aq8BjX4AA0nid.jpg
D7Aq8BnW4AAPiJX.jpg
D7Aq8BiXYAMDVNH.jpg

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 3h3 hours ago
Day 5 of the Timothy Jones Jr. trial is underway. It begins with Deputy Stephanie Stanley, a DNA analyst with SLED. @wis10

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 3h3 hours ago
The first witness of the day (and 20th overall called by the prosecution) is Stephanie Stanley, a DNA expert with SLED.

Stanley talks about the blue bucket found in Jones’s car. Swabs were taken from the bucket, and they determined that DNA from Merah Jones (the oldest child).

She says she also found DNA from Elias (the oldest son) in the Cadillac Escalade.

Another swab of the back of the car found DNA of Nahtahn (six years old).

DNA found on a pillow found in the car matches that of Gabriel (3 years old). Stanley says the odds of finding a random match were one in nearly 30 quadrillion.

Human tissue found in the back of the SUV proved to be that of Elias, blood on center console was that of Nahtahn, Merah’s DNA found on the handle of a bucket, Abigail’s DNA was found on a sunshade, while Gabriel’s was found on a belt and pillow. @wis10

Prosecution shows the jury a belt found with two DNA samples. In an audio interview aired Friday, Jones told investigators that he used a belt to strangle his two youngest children to death since his hands were too big.

DNA analyst from SLED testifies each of the children’s DNA was found on different items tested inside the Jones SUV. @wis10

Elementary School nurse testifies about a conversation with Tim Jones, related to Merah, 8, having lice. Jones suggested using kerosine or a heat gun to get rid of them, which the nurse objected to. @wis10

The next witness has been a nurse at Saxe Gotha Elementary School for twenty years. The three oldest Jones children attended school there.

The nurse, Karen Leonhardt, is analyzing student health cards for the oldest Jones children (Merah, Elias, Nahtahn). Cards say all three of the children were in good health.

Defense is asking Leonhardt about a time Merah came in for head lice. She says Jones suggested using a heat gun to kill the lice, which she said was not a good idea.

Leonhardt says in addition to the DSS call about Nahtahn, she says she has records about a time she called them concerning Merah. The jury is sent out for a quick break.

After the jury is called back in, Leonhardt says the call to DSS about Merah was concerning the head lice. She is also asked about the DSS report concerning Nahtahn, which was made in May 2014. The report says Nahtahn had bruises around his neck.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 2h2 hours ago
Defense now showing pictures of Nahtahn. Some of the photos show bruising on his neck and arms.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 2h2 hours ago
Elementary School lunch teacher is shown photographs she took of bruising on Nahtahn Jones’ neck and arms. It was part of a report to DSS. She has stepped down, we are waiting on the next witness. @wis10

Leonhardt steps down from the stand. Jury sent out of the room for a ten-minute break before the next witness.

Jury comes back into the room after the defense and prosecution argue about showing certain photographs during this phase of the trial.

The next witness called by the prosecution is Dr. Janice Ross, a forensic pathologist who performed autopsies for Newberry Pathology Associates.

Dr. Ross says the autopsies on the five Jones children took place on Sept. 11, 2014. Elias was the first autopsy; says the body was double-bagged, he was clothed, and a lot of decomposition symptoms (darker skin, tissue loss, maggot activity).

Dr. Ross says leaving a body in a black plastic bag in the sun on a hot day would speed up the decomposition process.

Dr. Ross says she noticed a fracture of the hyoid bone in Elias, which she says is indicative of strangulation.

Switching gears to Merah’s autopsy. Dr. Ross says her body was in four plastic bags, she was naked, there was some tissue loss (in the face, over the sternum, on the arms, right hand, over the knee), and maggot activity.

Dr. Ross says there were no broken bones in Merah’s neck. She says Merah’s cause and manner of death was “homicide brought upon by violent actions.”

She then starts to talk about the second-youngest, Gabriel.

Dr. Ross says Gabriel was wrapped in a comforter, and he was in a bag stuffed with girls’ underwear and a diary.

He also did not have any fractures, but Dr. Ross says he did have a depression in the right side of his neck.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 1h1 hour ago
Dr. Ross: The depression on the right side of his neck are indicative of ligature marks caused by an object, like a belt. She says the belt brought into evidence would be consistent with the parallel marks found on his neck.

Dr. Ross says Gabriel’s manner of death was a homicide brought upon by “probable strangulation.”

She transitions to Abigail’s autopsy. The youngest child did not have maggot activity on her body, but did have darker skin and cloudiness of the eyes.

Dr. Ross says Abigail’s death was brought upon by homicidal violence. She says the body had no outward indications of strangulation but she couldn’t rule it out.

The prosecution switches gears to Nahtahn’s autopsy. He was found in two plastic bags, had some tissue loss, and she saw a wound on his leg coming from a sharp object (like a saw).

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 1h1 hour ago
The prosecution walks through five sketches of the Jones children with a forensic pathologist, showing external and internal injuries. Just one photo showing a sharp object injury to Nahtahn's left leg is shown to the jury, sparing them images they likely couldn't unsee. @wis10

Prosecution shows the jury a picture of Nahtahn’s left knee. Dr. Ross steps down temporarily to point out some details in the picture, like where the cut mark was found.

She says Nahtahn was the only one of the five children who still had food in his stomach once the autopsies were performed.

Dr. Ross says Nahtahn’s death was caused by homicidal violence.

Nahtahn’s cause of death was similar to those of Merah and Abigail, according to Dr. Ross. No visible fractures in the neck, but strangulation couldn’t be ruled out.

Dr. Janice Ross, the forensic pathologist who conducted the autopsies, testifies it is possible to exercise a child to death, as Jones told investigators he did after questioning Nahtahn about blown electrical outlets. @wis10

Dr. Ross ruled 6-year-old Nahtahn's death a result of homicidal violence, which runs contrary to Jones' story to investigators that he exercised him to the point of death. She can't rule out strangulation, but couldn't make a definitive determination. @wis10

Dr. Ross testifies, Merha, 8, Abigail, 1, and Nahtahn, 6, all died of homicidal violence. Gabriel, 2, and Elias, 7, died of strangulation, per her testimony. She noted decomposition was very severe, in some cases maggots and animal activity were identified. @wis10

Dr. Ross says she performed full body X-Rays on the five children, says there were no previous fractures prior to their deaths.

Defense now displaying cause of death forms for the five children.

Dr. Ross says on the cause of death form, Nahtahn’s original cause of death was indeterminable, but she and the coroner later changed it to homicidal violence.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 56m56 minutes ago
Dr. Ross: The cause of death papers were printed out at the time of the autopsies, but Nahtahn’s was changed after further review with her colleagues.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 53m53 minutes ago
Dr. Ross wraps up her testimony by saying that it’s possible all five children could have been strangled to death.

Judge Griffith sends out the jury for a quick break.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 37m37 minutes ago
The fourth witness of the day is Shelby Derrick, who was a crime scene investigator with the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 35m35 minutes ago
Derrick went to Atlanta to pick up evidence (including a Samsung cell phone) from an FBI rep from Jackson, MS, and also did an investigation of the Jones residence.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 33m33 minutes ago
Derrick obtained a search warrant to search Jones’s house, and took photographs of both the inside and outside of the home.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 21m21 minutes ago
Defense asks Derrick to analyze a bunch of photographs she took while doing an investigation on the Jones home.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 5m5 minutes ago
Judge Griffith sends the jury out for a lunch break. Court should resume around 1:45

Your welcome.

shug_poopoleyou_100-100.gif

This is hard to watch/listen to, IMO.
t2330.gif

I don't understand what the father thought his 6 year old son was trying to do....:confused:

He's so paranoid about something. Is he schizophrenic?

This isn't information about the trial, so if some want to skip over it feel free.

Apparently he was diagnosed after he was charged yes, his mother has been institutionalized for years for it. After reading that I understand a little bit more about the family dynamics here. I've read the whole thread and familiarized myself with the case again and now I have a lot of thoughts, feel free to skip them. :oops:

Speaking from personal experience, terminology NOT intended to offend. Tim's Dad very likely has a ton of guilt for "ruining" Tim by saddling him with a "crazy mother."

So that is why he makes excuses for and defends his son no matter what. Because he blames himself for his son ending up the way that he did. He prefers to look at it as his son being a stupid teenager, or helpless due to his mental illness rather than his son being heartless or evil.

He will do anything to help his son because he blames himself. That's fine, I can understand that. He can't accept reality, I can't blame him for that. He could have prevented these 5 kids murders. That wouldn't be something I would want to accept either.

Another part of this is Tim himself.

His statement about the only cure for him is a bullet through the head. I can understand that and don't disagree with that.

But if he TRULY believed that, why didn't he do that BEFORE he killed his children? Why didn't he kill himself in jail awaiting trial? That doesn't sound authentic to me for that reason.

I actually found myself sympathizing with Tim while reading the thread, VERY briefly. I do understand having a mentally ill mother. I do understand the knowledge that the capacity for that illness might already be in your brain. I do understand that fear. I've lived my whole life taking every precaution that I can to avoid becoming my mother.

HOWEVER, I do not understand increasing the risk of triggering it.

I do NOT understand using drugs KNOWN to trigger or worsen mental illness. I do what I can to AVOID anxiety and paranoia! I don't use drugs that cause it. I do not understand putting yourself in high stress situations known to worsen mental illness.

I do not understand putting yourself in a position to be the sole caregiver of 5 children just to spite their mother. Knowing that if your mental illness emerges, you have a psychotic break or start hearing voices you are the ONLY adult present. None of that is consistent to me.

I think Tim may be schizophrenic. But I don't think he's legally insane. I don't think he was when he killed his kids and I don't think he is now. He lied to the babysitter, he lied to the cops, he fled the scene, he hid the bodies, he knew what he did was wrong.

Tim is showing emotion during the trial so I think life in prison might be more punishment than death for him. I think guilty but mentally ill is probably the best verdict, to ensure he never gets out.

I do think he may have been legally insane or had a psychotic break AFTER the murders. Because to keep the bodies in your car that long you almost HAVE to be. Decomposition is a smell you never forget and I don't know a single person who "gets used to it." I get sick even thinking about it!

Aside from that though I think he was aware of what he was doing. I'm not buying his stated motive... I think he was abusive and when he killed one kid he figured he had to kill all the kids. What he should have done is call his Dad to get the other kids and kill himself.

I also think that Tim's history should have come out in the divorce, to give Amber a more fair shot. The kids SHOULD have been removed August 28 at Walmart. It was clear Tim was laying the groundwork for his defense with that interaction. This could have been prevented.

Jury comes back from their lunch break. Shelby Derrick back on the stand, talking about the variety of religious books she found in the Jones home.

Derrick steps down from the stand.

Witness number five of the day is Candy Kyzer, an Evidence Custodian with the Lexington County Sheriff's Department.

After explaining what she does as an evidence custodian, Kyzer steps down from the stand.

Next up: Britt Dove, who handles computer crimes for SLED.

Lt. Dove is talking about how he logically examined the cell phone (extracting information from apps) submitted as evidence, but he did not physically examine

Judge Griffith sends the jury out of the room for a quick break after a sidebar takes place.

Watch Live:

Watch Live: Timothy Jones on Trial in Murders of His 5 Children
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Lt. Britt Dove steps down from the stand, Timothy Jones's ex-wife Amber takes the stand. She and Jones were married for nine years. When it comes to death of her kids, she says "she can't handle it."

Amber Jones, the mother of the five slain children, now testifying on the stand. @wis10

She is getting emotional when talking about the birthdays of her children. She recently remarried and had a daughter with her new husband.

When she first met Jones, she thought he had everything together and was very involved in the church. She thought at the time it was appropriate to get married.

Kyzer says her ex-husband was very smart and ambitious; every time he wanted to do something, he got it done.

D7CBTiLWkAAb4FQ.jpg

She says her ex-husband's ideal woman was one who "is fruitful and can multiply." Says her church exercised modesty for women "to a tee."

Kyzer says while she was married, Jones believed women "should be seen and not heard." At one point, she says her ex-husband wanted "a farm full" of children.

Kyzer says when they got divorced, they came to a mutual understanding that Jones should be the primary caretaker since he had a steady job and a roof over his head.

Kyzer says after the divorce, she bought her children clothing and had supervised visits at Chick-fil-A. She says by 2014, those visits happened "less and less."

At the divorce hearing between Amber and her ex-husband Tim Jones, she testified she had no attorney and no money. @wis10

Amber said she bought her children clothes and diapers and supervised visitation took place most often at Chick-fil-A. He needed to be there, she said. @wis10

She called home the night of the incident, saying that she heard crying on the phone from Nahtahn that he "couldn't catch his breath." She also heard Jones yell at his son and at her "why do you always defend the kids?"

Kyzer: He proceeded to hang up the phone on her. She noticed his rage, especially when he yelled at Nahtahn "you could have killed yourself son." She tried to call back various times, but no answer.

After a brief break, Kyzer (whose maiden name is McCauley) is back on the stand. Prosecution displays a series of phone calls Kyzer made to her ex-husband on August 28.

Prosecution begins to play answering machine messages left by Kyzer to Jones on August 28, saying she was concerned and that "as a parent, she should be allowed to correct her children."

Kyzer: It was not uncommon for Jones to go away for a weekend and not say anything, but then call back a few days later.

When she finally got a hold of Jones a few days later, Kyzer said he seemed a little intoxicated on the phone. She used a phone call recorder to record a conversation she had with her ex-husband.

Prosecution plays a recorded phone call between Jones and his ex-wife a few days after their last conversation on August 28. The two argue about work schedules and what she's done for him.

Jones denies being drunk on the phone call, though Kyzer insists he "seems out of it".

Kyzer says she was concerned about her children and Tim after not hearing from them for a while. She was going to meet them at the Chick-fil-A in Lexington that Saturday and hoped they would show up.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 59m59 minutes ago
Kyzer starts to cry on the stand after reading a letter she wrote to her daughter on the stand.

D7CQqqOW4AETDCy.jpg

Powerful testimony from the mother of the five Jones children, Amber Kyzer. Tune in now https://bit.ly/2Qd3gru @wis10

D7CL_2IXsAEn2my.jpg

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 52m52 minutes ago
After Kyzer's crying begins more uncontrollable, Judge Griffith orders the jury out of the room.

After Amber Kyzer bursts into tears and begins wailing and sobbing uncontrollably, the judge orders the jury out of the room for a break. @wis10

She called home the night of the incident, saying that she heard crying on the phone from Nahtahn that he "couldn't catch his breath." She also heard Jones yell at his son and at her "why do you always defend the kids?"

Kyzer: He proceeded to hang up the phone on her. She noticed his rage, especially when he yelled at Nahtahn "you could have killed yourself son." She tried to call back various times, but no answer.

This would have been enough for a welfare check. :( Man so many missed chances that final day.

This is such a sad, horrible story. Just reading the tweets has me sitting here holding my breath with a heavy heart. He is a monster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back