UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

It was a very businesslike killing ( no offence meant) not a crime of passion or anger ? Almost like a deal went wrong , or time limit was up etc.
Oh I agree it was 'businesslike' in the manner it was carried out. It possibly had a connection to his work I don't doubt it but it seems unlikely nothing would've been uncovered if any criminal dealing/mishandling had been directly within or through the 'bank' itself :confused:
(I'm not explaining what I mean very well ;))
Everything is so strictly controlled within & linked together within the 'corporate-network' any kind of discrepancy would have shown up eventually - I'd think?

It’s believed the gunman may have demanded cash."
How much money would you get in s wee envelope though ? Enough to kill if you didn’t?
I can't imagine why someone in this day & age would possibly think ANYONE would even have that kind of cash easily accessible especially on a Sunday evening?
And ^ this.
How much cash would a typical greeting card sized envelope hold?
Hardly worth killing for :(
Yet whoever was & fully prepared to ... he WAS armed with a loaded weapon.

The Envelope - Speculation

I've already discussed the possibility that Alistair was expected to put cash into the envelope. If it wasn't cash then what else could it have been? Whatever it is it's got to be small enough to fit inside the envelope. Observation: The gun is small enough to fit inside the envelope.

Here's my list of possibilities (some are more probable than others):

Key.
Combination for a lock or safe*.
Password*.
PIN*.
Security access card/keycard.
Credit or debit card.
Mobile phone.
SIM card.
Memory card.
Floppy disc.
CD.
Document(s) (note - the envelope has been described as a roughly quarter of A4 in size (i.e. A6) so it couldn't hold much).
Cheque.
Passport.
Driver's licence.
Drugs.​

* these could have been given over the phone.

The Envelope - Speculation

I've already discussed the possibility that Alistair was expected to put cash into the envelope. If it wasn't cash then what else could it have been? Whatever it is it's got to be small enough to fit inside the envelope. Observation: The gun is small enough to fit inside the envelope.

Here's my list of possibilities (some are more probable than others):

Key.
Combination for a lock or safe*.
Password*.
PIN*.
Security access card/keycard.
Credit or debit card.
Mobile phone.
SIM card.
Memory card.
Floppy disc.
CD.
Document(s) (note - the envelope has been described as a roughly quarter of A4 in size (i.e. A6) so it couldn't hold much).
Cheque.
Passport.
Driver's licence.
Drugs.​

* these could have been given over the phone.

All plausible; one could potentially add to the list - the envelope is (one) of the bizarre elements here.

Fact: AW was in possession (for a time) of an envelope handed to him by someone he did not know. Given the situation, what reason would AW have to take said envelope?

According to reports, AW left the killer on the doorstep none the wiser as to what the killer "Meant" but he had taken an envelope: one would assume that in that situation you'd be less inclined to take something from someone ("I don't know what you are on about, but nevertheless I will take this envelope") does not seem a normal thought process (?)

There can really then only be two potential theories which are possible.

1) As soon as AW got to the door, the killer handed the envelope saying "This is for you" and AW took it, innocently and the conversation then took place. AW might not look in the envelope or pay too much attention to it while ascertaining he doesn't have a clue what the visitor is talking about - the 'truth' about the envelope becomes clear after he goes back in.

2) The killer hands the envelope over while saying something relating to its purpose - perhaps "You know what to put in here" or something along those lines.

Both theories have problems and questions: in the first, AW would have to not see the name "Paul" (if he did, why keep the envelope?) while in the second, would there not be less chance of AW accepting something following a conversation he 'does not understand' or having no idea what he's supposed to do with?

Meanwhile AW spoke to his wife. "He gave me this envelope" is all that we are told was said: Did AW really say this, giving no reason? Did his wife not ask "What for?" Did AW give any reason?

AW was then, after returning to the door, shot following a short exchange with the killer.

Barring random acts of lunacy, some serious perceived wrong or a crime of passion/gang related or underworld stuff, murders in this manner (especially shootings) are extremely rare - the killer must have had a reason.

Yet at the same time, if AW was "clueless" ("Sorry mate I don't know what you mean") - and had not been threatened (to come up with something if that was the purpose of the envelope) - this must have been clear to the killer (insofar as they'd need to be aware the person they are speaking to clearly isn't going to do what is being asked of them) - which raises the question "Why would the killer then wait" (What were they thinking would happen).

The murder then took place following some sort of (short) conversation.

If you want something badly enough to visit someone in that manner you are not going to get it if you then shoot them. If something is that important then people with the ability to have killers on the job (unless a loner) could surely find other methods to obtain whatever they wanted (?)

I’m still rather confused over this blue envelope. I have read various articles in MSM and they are conflicting information. Apparently the envelope is a crucial piece of evidence, yet the police don’t have it? Alistair gave it back to the gunman. In some articles it states A6 in size others state A4 ? Also I have read the envelope was empty & I have also read Alistair never opened the envelope.....if that is the case, how does anyone know it was empty?

I’m still rather confused over this blue envelope. I have read various articles in MSM and they are conflicting information. Apparently the envelope is a crucial piece of evidence, yet the police don’t have it? Alistair gave it back to the gunman. In some articles it states A6 in size others state A4 ? Also I have read the envelope was empty & I have also read Alistair never opened the envelope.....if that is the case, how does anyone know it was empty?

One theory around is the envelope (or name on it) was meant to get into the media as a warning to someone. It doesn't explain what connection to AW this has, why the killer waited (how would they know he'd come back with the envelope) - I mean, they could have (while waiting on AW) wrote "Paul" on the door with a marker pen, with very little chance of leaving any evidence and certainly getting a message across - and yes, there are some apparently contradictory comments about the envelope although this might be people's interpretation of what was said?

One theory around is the envelope (or name on it) was meant to get into the media as a warning to someone. It doesn't explain what connection to AW this has, why the killer waited (how would they know he'd come back with the envelope) - I mean, they could have (while waiting on AW) wrote "Paul" on the door with a marker pen, with very little chance of leaving any evidence and certainly getting a message across - and yes, there are some apparently contradictory comments about the envelope although this might be people's interpretation of what was said?

I agree, it seems strange the gunman would hang around on the doorstep (directly across from a busy pub, where he could have been seen ) to wait on the off chance of Alistair reappearing. I think police know a lot more about this case than they wish to make public. Initially I believed Veronica was the only witness but on reading MSM articles it seems someone else saw Alistair & gunman chatting on doorstep but never saw his face.
If memory serves me correctly they had only bought their house 18 months prior to shooting, house now valued at roughly £400,000 so a very expensive purchases with considerable mortgage? They were running a restaurant business from home that had recently failed. And he was due to start a new job in next couple of weeks. I’m assuming Veronica would have been out of work (running restaurant & 2 small kids to look after?) Money must have been tight....perhaps he was doing dodgy dealings at the bank (for someone involved with organised crime & receiving backhanders for doing so?) but police are keeping this close to their chest, I don’t believe they have ever ruled it out? Maybe he realised he was out of his depth, committing crime on their behalf which if caught by the bank could result in prison sentence. Decides to leave the bank as a way out (probably not a wise choice for someone who is 100% squeaky clean with a wife & 2 young kids to support) If so perhaps his “associate” was upset by this & sent hitman with the envelope with note (threat) in it asking him to reconsider? He Knows gunman is waiting on reply of some sort...goes back inside to think what to do, maybe not realising just how much danger he is in? Veronica asks who caller was & he tells his wife he’s not got a clue about the caller or envelope ( doesn’t want to upset her as she genuinely has no idea of what he’s been up to). Decides he’s defo leaving bank for new job...new fresh start for him & his family? He thinks going straight is the better option & tells gunman this and then he’s shot. Probably didn’t realise he was gonna have to pay with his life for not doing what he was told. All just my theory.

I agree, it seems strange the gunman would hang around on the doorstep (directly across from a busy pub, where he could have been seen ) to wait on the off chance of Alistair reappearing. I think police know a lot more about this case than they wish to make public. Initially I believed Veronica was the only witness but on reading MSM articles it seems someone else saw Alistair & gunman chatting on doorstep but never saw his face.
If memory serves me correctly they had only bought their house 18 months prior to shooting, house now valued at roughly £400,000 so a very expensive purchases with considerable mortgage? They were running a restaurant business from home that had recently failed. And he was due to start a new job in next couple of weeks. I’m assuming Veronica would have been out of work (running restaurant & 2 small kids to look after?) Money must have been tight....perhaps he was doing dodgy dealings at the bank (for someone involved with organised crime & receiving backhanders for doing so?) but police are keeping this close to their chest, I don’t believe they have ever ruled it out? Maybe he realised he was out of his depth, committing crime on their behalf which if caught by the bank could result in prison sentence. Decides to leave the bank as a way out (probably not a wise choice for someone who is 100% squeaky clean with a wife & 2 young kids to support) If so perhaps his “associate” was upset by this & sent hitman with the envelope with note (threat) in it asking him to reconsider? He Knows gunman is waiting on reply of some sort...goes back inside to think what to do, maybe not realising just how much danger he is in? Veronica asks who caller was & he tells his wife he’s not got a clue about the caller or envelope ( doesn’t want to upset her as she genuinely has no idea of what he’s been up to). Decides he’s defo leaving bank for new job...new fresh start for him & his family? He thinks going straight is the better option & tells gunman this and then he’s shot. Probably didn’t realise he was gonna have to pay with his life for not doing what he was told. All just my theory.

Yes. Something mentioned (possibly on the Podcast) was that "PAUL" was short for "Pay And yoU Live"; what we are told clearly indicates this message was missed by AW (would that be a 'message' anyone would understand?); the Police - apparently witheld the envelope detail so as NOT to 'advertise' the name Paul. Is it plausible to propose, however, that the killer - in order to get some name out in the press, chose the method they did?

Yes. Something mentioned (possibly on the Podcast) was that "PAUL" was short for "Pay And yoU Live"
Oh really now. This sort of "deciphering" is a recent trend, related to how far-fetched conspiracies have gained purchase. I know little about this case but I do know bull when I smell it. The discourse these days: DUMBED DOWN.

Yes. Something mentioned (possibly on the Podcast) was that "PAUL" was short for "Pay And yoU Live"; what we are told clearly indicates this message was missed by AW (would that be a 'message' anyone would understand?); the Police - apparently witheld the envelope detail so as NOT to 'advertise' the name Paul. Is it plausible to propose, however, that the killer - in order to get some name out in the press, chose the method they did?

If I was handed an envelope & it said PAUL on in, I certainly wouldn’t have thought of the Pay And U Live thing...I don’t think many would make the connection.
There has been a lot of speculation of the Glasgow Underworld & the name Paul...there may be some truth in it there may not.
Remember back in 2004 there were only 10 aspects of dna to look at now there are 24 & the police have the murder weapon & a cigarette butt found on the doorstep...is it just a matter of time before the killer s found?
Found this article rather interesting Nairn banker Alistair Wilson murder cops on trail of expat former neighbour
Shaun refused to give his dna according to his brother. For that reason I find it very strange that police didn’t interview Shaun. You would think if he was the guy on doorstep Veronica would have recognised him being a local? Maybe not, he may have worked away a lot? His dad thinks Shaun should speak to help the police & Shauns brother believes police are looking for Shaun for the dna sample he failed to give in 2004 ...my thinking is maybe he left the local area because at the very least he knows too much? Doesn’t want to speak to police about the Paul connection as it’s more than his life’s worth? Can’t look at Alistair’s family without feeling guilty?

Last edited:
Forgot to add Shaun lived in Cumming Street at the time which is about a 1-2 min walk from Alistair’s home depending on how far down the street he lived, I know his dad has given him an alibi saying he was at home on the night of the murder...but would it have been to hard for Shaun to leave & enter via back door or window unknown to his father? Especially as he would only have been gone around 10-15 mins max (imo this would be more likely if he lived on the side of the street facing onto The Links grass park area). Looking at google maps street view shows The links car park at the bottom of cumming street which has lots of caravans & lorries in it...I wonder if it was like that back in 2004 and if it would be as busy in November? If would be great if someone could add a map of area so others could see how close this is all is. Alistair’s house was no 10.

Looking at google maps street view shows The links car park at the bottom of cumming street which has lots of caravans & lorries in it...I wonder if it was like that back in 2004 and if it would be as busy in November?

Those lorries and caravans are part of a travelling fair. They'd be there maybe 1 weekend a year.
The area they are parked at is the main car park for the beach and Cumming Street is the main route in/out of the car park. It's very busy in the summer months. It would be less busy but still well-used on a Sunday in November but by that time of night it would have been dark and if anyone was still around at the beach car park possibly wouldn't have even seen anyone walking anyway.

Forgot to add Shaun lived in Cumming Street at the time which is about a 1-2 min walk from Alistair’s home depending on how far down the street he lived, I know his dad has given him an alibi saying he was at home on the night of the murder...but would it have been to hard for Shaun to leave & enter via back door or window unknown to his father? Especially as he would only have been gone around 10-15 mins max (imo this would be more likely if he lived on the side of the street facing onto The Links grass park area). Looking at google maps street view shows The links car park at the bottom of cumming street which has lots of caravans & lorries in it...I wonder if it was like that back in 2004 and if it would be as busy in November? If would be great if someone could add a map of area so others could see how close this is all is. Alistair’s house was no 10.

I've uploaded a map. The red square is AW's street; Links car Park can be seen to be just to the north. The gun was found where the red circle is on the map.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 29
Those lorries and caravans are part of a travelling fair. They'd be there maybe 1 weekend a year.
The area they are parked at is the main car park for the beach and Cumming Street is the main route in/out of the car park. It's very busy in the summer months. It would be less busy but still well-used on a Sunday in November but by that time of night it would have been dark and if anyone was still around at the beach car park possibly wouldn't have even seen anyone walking anyway.

Yes the entire area is also well used from dawn til dusk - walkers, dog walkers, and local kids out and about. That time on a winter sunday as you say very few people would be 'hanging about'. Which way the killer went when the left Crescent road is 50/50 but the did reach Seabank Road. It's conceivable they could have walked 'around the houses' and no one would have given a second glance / seen anything out of place.

Thankyou Touch for clarifying this.

Yes the entire area is also well used from dawn til dusk - walkers, dog walkers, and local kids out and about. That time on a winter sunday as you say very few people would be 'hanging about'. Which way the killer went when the left Crescent road is 50/50 but the did reach Seabank Road. It's conceivable they could have walked 'around the houses' and no one would have given a second glance / seen anything out of place.

Thanks Jambers for adding the map. I believe Veronica said she saw the killer leave to her left which would indicate him exiting onto Marine Road. Could it be the killer didn’t dump the weapon that night but maybe days later...the reason for asking is that would police not have searched drains in area in the days immediately after for the weapon? The gun was found 10 days later by a workman.

Found this at https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/one-year-on-who-killed-alistair-wilson-517368.html:

Mr Wilson didn't leave a will, which meant his widow had to submit a formal application at Inverness Sheriff Court to be appointed executor of his estate. As a result of his death she inherited more than £130,000 - including his half share in their jointly owned £230,000 luxury home, £6,243.91 from personal bank account, £4,940.04 from bonuses due to him from the Bank of Scotland, a further £2,600 from her husband's saving schemes and income tax rebates and £2,000 of furniture and personal belongings.
I don't think anyone has posted this information here before.

Thanks Jambers for adding the map. I believe Veronica said she saw the killer leave to her left which would indicate him exiting onto Marine Road. Could it be the killer didn’t dump the weapon that night but maybe days later...the reason for asking is that would police not have searched drains in area in the days immediately after for the weapon? The gun was found 10 days later by a workman.

My personal view is the killer dumped the weapon on the evening. The location where it was dumped is interesting. The killer wanted to get to the A96 (and in my view then headed off probably in the direction of Inverness) - and the map gives some insight.

The killer (again my view) left Crescent Road, then onto Marine Road and turned left. To get to the A96 they had several options. There are three streets closer to the scene they could have used, and one street slightly further up. There was also the option of 'taking the back road" (altonburn Road) - they did not do this, as it becomes single track and although rural, it would be easy to be (potentially) stopped or noticed. Although Seabank Rd is not the furthest road (in town) from the scene allowing access to the A96, it is - if you look at the map, the "most direct" (Marine Rd, Seafield Rd, Seabank Rd) - to go to Manse Rd (next down) would waste a little more time, while any of the nearer streets are just a bit too close (also to the Police Station). The drain is just before the traffic lights - where cars regularly stop - conveniently just before getting to the main road.
Keeping in mind the killer could have dumped the gun elsewhere (ie drains on the way) - not gardens - I think this was a planned location and the killer had the 'escape route' planned. While there's pictures of the Police searching the beach (a seemingly obvious place the killer might throw the weapon - perhaps into the sea) I don't know how extensively they searched the drains/gardens in Nairn. Possibly they did to a point - and Seabank Rd is "close" but not "too close" to the scene.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back