Match! AR - Little Rock, WhtMale UP5813, 45-75, Under I430 Overpass, 25 Sep'00- Bobby Wayne Burr

Case is officially closed:

Located & Identified Persons

Bobby Wayne Burr (NamUs MP case #9810)
Missing Since:
January 1, 2000
Missing From: Little Rock, Arkansas
Found: September 25, 2000 in Little Rock (NamUs UID case #5813).
Match submitted by: "Creepedout" in 2017 and submitted to Law Enforcement by the Doe Network.
Confirmed :In 2019

Great job, Creepedout! Keep up the good work. I'm happy that Mr. Burr is no longer a John Doe. May he rest in peace.

Can't find where I read it, but I believe his brother reported him missing. Don't know the brother's name though, or if he is still alive.
Actually my dad j
Poor guy. I hope he has family wanting him, whoever he is.
He does I'm his niece and I've missed him since that day. I'll never forget the day he went missing. I've waited since that day to hopefully see him again.

Burr is not listed among the ruleouts. I'd like opinions on this one; if others agree, I believe it should be submitted. DNA is listed as on file for both.

I've often wondered about NamUs automatically cross-checking DNA of MPs and UIDs. If I understand correctly both DNA profiles were in NamUs but they weren't compared until you submitted the cases as a possible match. Correct? If so, then I suppose we shouldn't assume two profiles have been automatically excluded yet not listed as exclusions. Am I on the right track here?

Thank you. Bobby is my uncle.

Welcome to Websleuths, Brigette! Hopefully you've gotten some comfort and relief by finally being able to solve the "where is he?" part of having lost him. The not knowing must be the hardest part to deal with for the loved ones. I can't imagine the anguish you and others must have felt. My condolences to you.

I've often wondered about NamUs automatically cross-checking DNA of MPs and UIDs. If I understand correctly both DNA profiles were in NamUs but they weren't compared until you submitted the cases as a possible match. Correct? If so, then I suppose we shouldn't assume two profiles have been automatically excluded yet not listed as exclusions. Am I on the right track here?

Years back I wrote a couple posts about this, which I have linked below. Warning: they are out of date and grossly oversimplified.

post #1: IL - IL - Mascoutah, BlkFem Skeletal 327UFIL, 20-40, SK victim, off I-64, Jan'02

post #2: IL - IL - Mascoutah, BlkFem Skeletal 327UFIL, 20-40, SK victim, off I-64, Jan'02

I believe the core takeaways are still true:
  • NamUs is not the same as CODIS ("Combined DNA Index System"). DNA profiles are stored and searched in CODIS. An investigator may choose to tell NamUs that the MP's or UID's DNA profile is already available in CODIS or elsewhere. Investigators making new entries in NamUs are supposed to submit DNA profiles to CODIS if available.
  • DNA profiles "flow upward" according to each jurisdiction's own practices. A DNA profile available in a local city database might not be in the state database. A DNA profile in a state database might not be in the national database.
  • Even if DNA profiles for both MP and UID are in the same databases, there may not be a "hit." Matches and associations depend on the types of DNA used, the sources, and the completeness of the profiles.
In other words, don't assume anything.

Years back I wrote a couple posts about this, which I have linked below. Warning: they are out of date and grossly oversimplified.

post #1: IL - IL - Mascoutah, BlkFem Skeletal 327UFIL, 20-40, SK victim, off I-64, Jan'02

post #2: IL - IL - Mascoutah, BlkFem Skeletal 327UFIL, 20-40, SK victim, off I-64, Jan'02

• NamUs is not the same as CODIS ("Combined DNA Index System"). DNA profiles are stored and searched in CODIS. An investigator may choose to tell NamUs that the MP's or UID's DNA profile is already available in CODIS or elsewhere. Investigators making new entries in NamUs are supposed to submit DNA profiles to CODIS if available.
  • DNA profiles "flow upward" according to each jurisdiction's own practices. A DNA profile available in a local city database might not be in the state database. A DNA profile in a state database might not be in the national database.
  • Even if DNA profiles for both MP and UID are in the same databases, there may not be a "hit." Matches and associations depend on the types of DNA used, the sources, and the completeness of the profiles.
Awesome info. Tyvm!

@Bit of hope Iirc you recently asked about DNA availability and whether they were automatically compared. Zinc's excellent explanations here and in the threads linked above might help with clarification.

ETA - @zinc Again, ty for this explanation!

Also a comparison won't be made if certain other parameters don't match. For instance if the MP's last seen date is after the UID's found date, it won't be compared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back