OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like that will be a thousand years from now. I may take up drinking if I have to see many more pretrials.

LOL....Yes it is slow and tedious. What is irksome is that so much of these pretrial hearings are being discussed back in the Judge's chambers rather than in open court. It was a little confusing just to find out when they all could wear civilian clothes for example...o_O...And some discovery is posted on line but then other batches are not. Like Jake's only from December and Angela's only from March!

...My 2 Cents......

Last edited:
Congrats to LE, they figured it out and solved the case that many of us weren’t able to. They also had a lot more resources than an average person.

My opinion is it wasn’t skill that solved the case, but the W’s just left too much evidence that it was undeniable

When are these trials for the main 4 gonna get underway?

WAVERLY – Justice is slow.
Prosecution of Wagners in Rhoden murders to take 'years,' cost thousands

Excerpts from article:

Answers to countless questions about the methodical murders of eight members of a Pike County family in April 2016 are years away. Much like the investigation took years, so will the prosecution.

Even without the death penalty specification adding time to the process, the investigation involved following up on about 1,100 tips, conducting 550 interviews, serving more than 200 subpoenas, search warrants, and court orders, and testing over 700 items.

"It's not uncommon for a typical capital case to involve over 500 hours of work, and that's without all the stuff to go through in the Rhoden case," Bogen said.

Among those first motions from the defense will likely be a request to move the trials out of Pike County due to the extensive pre-trial publicity of the case and concerns about the Wagners receiving a fair trial.

“This case has received more publicity than anything we’ve ever had,” Junk said.

In Ohio, co-defendants in death penalty cases are required to have their own trials, so it’s possible the four cases could be tried in four different counties as each trial will likely generate local media attention.

Those decisions will be up to Deering who also will be sifting through and deciding on what could be at least 200 motions combined. Once a trial date is set, that process too will be quite the undertaking with each case likely taking more than a month to complete.

While typical jury selection involves a single round of questions looking for potential conflicts and prejudices, those in death penalty cases also have a second round focused on their views on capital punishment.

“We all have a lot of hard work ahead of us,” Junk said.

I wish I could say I felt the same. Is OJ any less guilty because he was found not guilty? How about Caylee Anthony's mom? The list goes on and on unfortunately. People who are cooperating generally don't stalk and spy for years in advance of a very well planned homicide. People that truly cooperate are open and honest. Wagner's simply don't have the ability to be open and honest.

If they aren't found guilty, it wouldn't be the first time justice failed. That's all it would be. Failed justice. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the outcome that none of them die of old age anyway. They caused such a big unhealing wound in the R, M, and G family. They have waited for justice. Been exceptionally patient. If they are denied justice in one way, they may look for another.

BBM... ITA with you Kentucky Mama... IMO, the W4s are guilty as all get out, and I cannot wait to see what all comes out at trial. MOO, JMO.

I cannot even begin to fathom what these three families have gone through and continue to go through... you're so right.... they have all been irreparably wounded for generations.

Congrats to LE, they figured it out and solved the case that many of us weren’t able to. They also had a lot more resources than an average person.

My opinion is it wasn’t skill that solved the case, but the W’s just left too much evidence that it was undeniable
So you are saying no one investigating this case contributed anything of value? It was just mistakes by the perps that got them arrested? But, no skill was needed to find those mistakes?

Someone must have told LM to keep quiet. He went from being very vocal to total silence.

After they came out of the courthouse, LM has not spoken to the media again, iirc. I think JM's lawyer possibly had a talk with him, and maybe some of his family talked to him too. Just my thoughts. I understood his pain, but, the media is out for the story, I feel they used his pain, to get stories and information from him.

...My 2 Cents......

I wonder if the Wagner's refused to take polygraph tests and that was one reason LE suspected them? 2 of the Rhoden cousins refused to take them but the Manleys agreed to do so, thus making them look less guilty just for taking them.

If the Wagner's lied to LE that means they did not cooperate and instead tried to mislead the investigation and, in my opinion, would have avoided taking lie detectors tests. If they are found innocent I will think they cooperated, even without polys.

Acquitted = Wagner's cooperated and didn't lie.
Guilty = Wagner's lied and mislead investigators.

As you know, everything rides on the verdicts the Juries bring back, and what charges they are found guilty of. Just because there are over 20 charges does not mean they will be found guilty of every single one of them. Prosecutors throw a lot of changes to see what "sticks".

BBM
I see that a lot. I see it a lot with the arrests too. Police officers arrest folks, under the guidelines of probable cause. LEOs are suppose to have sufficient facts and evidence to warrant a "belief" that someone has committed a crime prior to searching their home or person, or pressing charges.

The prosecutor's office has to prove the case, with what data they have, to convince a judge or jury, beyond-a-reasonable-doubt. There's no other logical explanation than, this person committed that crime.

Yes, that's it! Thanks. That was the day they found the BPVs at Flying W and other things at Peterson Rd. LE was being very cagey, at first denying that Franklin County was helping out or that SWAT vehicles were used. They seemed concerned about not making it look like the W's were suspects. These were the only searches news media covered as LE has mentioned many others conducted in the area.

Look what I found!!! It doesn’t show busting through the gate (I believe that was on FB) but it shows the LEO convoy at Flying W farms. I’ve hunted for 2 days. Twitter

Look what I found!!! It doesn’t show busting through the gate (I believe that was on FB) but it shows the LEO convoy at Flying W farms. I’ve hunted for 2 days. Twitter

The only thing I can think of is if they broke through another gate at the top of the hill, near their property. Even so, all the W's had to do was open it to avoid LE breaking it down.

Great work, Merrygirl. I think the video you found was from last November, though, when they did the arrests.

Just to keep the dates up to date:

quote from Johnny B Bad:

May 13: June 10: Edward "Jake" Wagner pretrial.

May 15: Sept. 17: George “Billy” Wagner pretrial.

May 16: Moved to July 3: Angela Wagner pretrial.

May 23: George Wagner IV pretrial.

June 1: Deadline for prosecutors to provide all evidence to attorneys for Angela Wagner, George Wagner IV, and George “Billy” Wagner III.

June 14: Rita Newcomb pretrial.

June 26: Fredericka Wagner pretrial.

July 8 – July 11: Rita Newcomb’s trial.

July 29-Aug. 2: Fredericka Wagner’s trial.

Sept. 1: Deadline for defense attorneys for Angela Wagner and George “Billy” Wagner III to file substantive motions.

Sept. 16: Hearing on non-substantive motions in Angela Wagner’s case. Deadline for prosecutors to file written responses to substantive motions in her case.

Sept. 17: Hearing on non-substantive motions in George “Billy” Wagner III’s case. Deadline for prosecutors to file written responses to substantive motions in his cas
e
Future trial dates for the accused.

Thanks, Niner! You're such a great help in so many case threads here! I'll update this info in the Media & Timelines thread. Thank you, too, Johnny B Bad!

The only thing I can think of is if they broke through another gate at the top of the hill, near their property. Even so, all the W's had to do was open it to avoid LE breaking it down.

Great work, Merrygirl. I think the video you found was from last November, though, when they did the arrests.

Yes, it was. It’s all I can find. I saw one on fb back at the time of arrests but can’t find it anywhere. It was only on for a couple of days and may have been yanked. It showed the lead vehicle crash through the gates and was recorded by someone in the convoy. I believe LE cut the lock then the lead vehicle barreled through the gate. Sorry but I can’t find it and unless it was in msm then I couldn’t post it anyway.

Interesting that the ambulance was from Columbus. I'd think there would be one closer. I wonder if those EMTs had special training of some kind...

Today I'm wondering about all the Walmart shoe dept. video of the Ws in the weeks leading up to the murders.

What required multiple shopping trips, sometimes to different Walmart stores? Were they looking for a specific brand and style of shoes that the store didn't have in stock in certain sizes? Were they looking for more than one type of shoe worn by different members of the family to disguise their own footprints? Were they looking for a type of shoe worn by someone related or known to the family who didn't live at the murder scene, to frame them for the murders? What required multiple shopping trips to different stores?

I was also wondering at the possibility it may be harder to tie AW to the murders if there's no evidence present at the murder scenes. If she's shown on the video helping shop for these shoes, that legally ties her to the murders, even if she didn't pull the trigger.

What other evidence do they have that conclusively ties her to the planning of the murders? Text messages? Cell phone calls? Participation in the forgeries? Assisting in the sale of the black Ford Explorer that was later searched and photographed in 3D? Lying about when Jake picked up S from Dana's home?

After they came out of the courthouse, LM has not spoken to the media again, iirc. I think JM's lawyer possibly had a talk with him, and maybe some of his family talked to him too. Just my thoughts. I understood his pain, but, the media is out for the story, I feel they used his pain, to get stories and information from him.

I think there was also a gag order put on JW's case when it went to the GJ. That may have also been a factor in Len Manley not talking.

Today I'm wondering about all the Walmart shoe dept. video of the Ws in the weeks leading up to the murders.

What required multiple shopping trips, sometimes to different Walmart stores? Were they looking for a specific brand and style of shoes that the store didn't have in stock in certain sizes? Were they looking for more than one type of shoe worn by different members of the family to disguise their own footprints? Were they looking for a type of shoe worn by someone related or known to the family who didn't live at the murder scene, to frame them for the murders? What required multiple shopping trips to different stores?

I was also wondering at the possibility it may be harder to tie AW to the murders if there's no evidence present at the murder scenes. If she's shown on the video helping shop for these shoes, that legally ties her to the murders, even if she didn't pull the trigger.

What other evidence do they have that conclusively ties her to the planning of the murders? Text messages? Cell phone calls? Participation in the forgeries? Assisting in the sale of the black Ford Explorer that was later searched and photographed in 3D? Lying about when Jake picked up S from Dana's home?

BBM Could it be the W’s we’re trying to throw a smoke screen because they knew they were being video recorded? One or more demonstrated knowledge about security JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member