Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the 911 caller spoofed the number?

Neighbour spoofing, otherwise known as NPA-NXX spoofing, is a form of caller ID spoofing used by telemarketers, scammers, and robocallers. Neighbor spoofing uses auto-dialing and VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services to send unsolicited phone calls. These calls have an outgoing Caller ID that closely matches your area code and phone number.
https://www.robokiller.com/blog/local-call/

Take it a step further: the killer could have spoofed Barry’s cell or home phone number to call 911 making it appear as though he was alive the next morning.

ETA: The police would have to wait for the warrants and the phone service provider to confirm which device made the 911 call.

In what urgent situations can the police enter my home? | CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)

Police can enter the home for many reasons including to give aid in an emergency, or to respond to a 911 call.
So now I have to wonder if police possibly responded to a 911 call at the Sherman house and either 1) didn’t go in the house, or 2) went in and didn’t search the entire house. Perhaps this is the reason thatLE has been so secretive about this whole situation- protecting themselves! Can you imagine what a furor this could cause if it was shown to be true? I hope Donovan can get to the truth here.

That would be a fiasco.

That might also answer the ‘no forced entry’ part of the story. If Honey was surprised upon entering the front door the door may have remained unlocked.

The police officer could then easily access the home if he felt someone might be in danger inside. (How else were they so confident there was no forced entry so early in the investigation.)

It could have been a police stealth or unmarked car that was at the Sherman home.

Greenspan said he didn’t know who that man was who spent 29 minutes in the home. If it was a cop, he likely wouldn’t know.

I’ve noticed that police don’t park on the driveway of a home they’re visiting. They park on the street.

Could the uniformed officer have visited more than one neighbour’s home? Other neighbours may not have been home or are not talking to the Star.

If the perps (presumably) could enter the Sherman house with no obvious point of entry or use of force, could that not also happen at any house?
Not that this is a particularly likely scenario, but the old urban myth about the babysitter calling 911, comes to mind just the same!
Complete speculation, imagination, ect. imo
The call is coming from inside the house.”

Urban Legend Horror GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Regarding the police activity on the street and the man who entered the Sherman home the morning after the Shermans were last seen alive, I recalled this post by Kerry:

Kerry WinterVerified Family - Barry and Honey Sherman

I’m strongly suggesting a theory which l believe that something happened in the hours between Honey and Barry’s deaths.
I also have reason to believe that there was a “clean up/staging” and my cousin didn’t act alone.
I don’t know who helped....but, have a VERY good idea.
Know this: Honey was dead and moved to the pool.

Jun 30, 2018

Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #8

Has it been made public when the Shermans actually died (not were found)?

No official police statement, but the Star’s sources estimate they died late Wednesday/early Thursday morning.

The Shermans lived at 50 Old Colony Rd. They were last seen alive on the evening of Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017. Their bodies were discovered two days later. No official time of death has been released but sources close to the case have said it is believed the Shermans died late on Wednesday or early Thursday morning. Police are investigating the case as a targeted double homicide.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s neighbours cite mysterious 911 call, visitor on day before billionaires found dead | The Star

That would be a fiasco.

That might also answer the ‘no forced entry’ part of the story. If Honey was surprised upon entering the front door the door may have remained unlocked.

The police officer could then easily access the home if he felt someone might be in danger inside. (How else were they so confident there was no forced entry so early in the investigation.)

It could have been a police stealth or unmarked car that was at the Sherman home.

Greenspan said he didn’t know who that man was who spent 29 minutes in the home. If it was a cop, he likely wouldn’t know.

I’ve noticed that police don’t park on the driveway of a home they’re visiting. They park on the street.

Could the uniformed officer have visited more than one neighbour’s home? Other neighbours may not have been home or are not talking to the Star.

A new, hidden clue in Barry and Honey Shermans' vanishing murder case - Macleans.ca

The article today says the car was parked on the street. The original McLean’s article linked above says the mystery car was parked in the driveway.

And what’s with not donating the contents of the house? Surely some charities or less fortunate people would have been very grateful?

Most if not all large demolition companies are responsible for salvage as well. ie The owners take everything out if the home or business they want to retain and then hire a demolition company who is also responsible for salvaging any usable materials or items for donation. This also serves to reduce the impact to landfills. I think the family can’t be automatically blamed if this was the responsibility of the demolition company they hired.

The Star has agreed not to identify the homeowners or their exact address. They live roughly 10 houses away on Old Colony.

Just thinking, roughly 10 houses away from #50 Old Colony could be #15 Old Colony Rd. (I think it is 8 or 9 houses away). Is it possible the squad car misheard the dispatcher, mistook 50 for 15, and went to the wrong house? It would be an easy mistake. If so, the call could have come from the Sherman house phone. Just a thought.

ETA #15 is 10 houses from #50, but on the other side of the street.

Last edited:
The Star has agreed not to identify the homeowners or their exact address. They live roughly 10 houses away on Old Colony.

Just thinking, roughly 10 houses away from #50 Old Colony could be #15 Old Colony Rd. (I think it is 8 or 9 houses away). Is it possible the squad car misheard the dispatcher, mistook 50 for 15, and went to the wrong house? It would be an easy mistake. If so, the call could have come from the Sherman house phone. Just a thought.

ETA #15 is 10 houses from #50, but on the other side of the street.
Just about to post a similar sentiment, thinking that a miscommunication would possibly be more likely if the person phoning had trouble speaking clearly....
On the other hand, the call might have come from someone in the S. home who was somewhat, but not especially sure of the address.
imo. speculation.

I'm thinking perhaps the killer had a burner phone and when he was all finished and gone from the S home, made the 911 call while driving, while in front of one of the neighboring homes... to alert police, while at the same time protecting the caller. Perhaps killer wanted police to believe the call came from one of the victims? Doesn't seem likely since police would know it hadn't come from either of the S cellphones. (Unless killer used B's cellphone, made that call from it, and that is from where all of this initial LE talk of M/S originated? - Was it ever reported that both of the victims' cellphones were found inside the home?)

This whole thing seems *wild* to me. If a 911 call was made, presumably sometime just before the 9:15am police visit to the neighbor's home... police show up to the neighbor home from where they believe the call originated.. the homeowner there knows nothing and didn't make the call.. but yet there is a car parked on the street with some man either sitting in the car, or walking up to the door, or knocking on the door of the S home. One would presume in such a case, the officer sent about the 911 call would have noticed this car/man at the S home and perhaps questioned him. At that point in time, LE would only know there had been a 911 call from somewhere near.. wouldn't that officer be looking for something/anything out of the ordinary.. and if there was a man and a vehicle who seemed not to belong (parked on street), wouldn't they question and make a report?

The neighbour with the CCTV footage of the man who entered the Sherman home on Thursday didn’t mention seeing the police that morning.

If the 911 call was unrelated to the murders, why wouldn’t the police simply confirm that?

Like Deugirtni said, maybe it was part of the m/s staging.

Last edited:
Regarding the way at least some of the couple's possessions were dealt with, I have to say that given BS's seeming disdain for waste, (driving his perfectly good car around for years even though he could've had the latest and greatest every single year), and HS's seeming mandate of 'giving', I can't help thinking the two would be so disappointed to know that some of their stuff was just crushed in demolition, rather than being donated or sold for re-use to someone else.

I can understand the kids not wanting to be bothered dealing with selling it used, and I do understand their need for privacy perhaps in not wanting to invite a charity into the home to take what they wanted, but still seems such a waste. It was reported at one point that several members of an auction house had come into the home however, presumably to appraise the couple's possessions, so the need for privacy wasn't far reaching enough to exclude that visit, so why not a charity too, to look after the less valuable stuff. I'm sure those kids had many people who would have taken on these tasks on their behalf.

"Around 10 a.m., a van arrived with four people from Waddington’s, an auction house that specializes in fine arts, wine and spirits, unique collections and confidential sales involving “timing and privacy,” according to its website. The group was presumably at the house to assess the Shermans’ art and other valuables, though none of them would answer questions as they stood outside the caution tape surrounding the estate."

Amid quiet from high-profile murder probes, family takes back house where Shermans died

Last edited:
The neighbour with the CCTV footage of the man who entered the Sherman home on Thursday didn’t mention seeing the police that morning.

If the 911 call was unrelated to the murders, why wouldn’t the police simply confirm that?

Like Deugirtni said, maybe it was part of the m/s staging.
Yes, weird that the neighbor with video wouldn't have mentioned the TPS visit on same day, same time as the S's 'visitor' was seen... unless perhaps asked not to disclose that. (?)

Yes, weird that the neighbor with video wouldn't have mentioned the TPS visit on same day, same time as the S's 'visitor' was seen... unless perhaps asked not to disclose that. (?)

Old Colony Road is quite winding. There are sharp curves in the road to the left and to right of the Sherman house. It is quite possible that the neighbour with the CCTV couldn't even see a cop visiting the other neighbour's house, which could be roughly 10 houses down the street.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, I don’t see a post about it, if I missed it, apologies.
The 911 call did bring something to mind, about cutting off a call before the system could identify it.
It may strike some as fanciful, but everything about the Sherman case shouts professional murder; very professional murder.
A tactical jammer, turned on at the time of the call attempt, (perhaps made from an unsecured bathroom phone/hidden phone/pool phone) could be what caused the inability to identify the precise location of the call, but it was an error on the part of the killers that allowed even the dialling and momentary connection at all.
It’s not like the police to confirm or deny anything related to an open case, but we know they do have many, many sealed warrants having to do with communication electronics in this case. MOO.
EDIT: A word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member