OH, Medina County - Girl escapes Montville home, suspect deceased, one other shot

holtzmann

Reaction score
WKYC, Cleveland:

Girl without clothing escapes from Montville home, suspect dead after standoff

MONTVILLE, Ohio — A suspect is dead following a three-hour standoff that began after an unclothed girl escaped from a Montville home, where she said she'd been assaulted.

It started around 12:44 a.m. Sunday, when an employee at the McDonald's on Wooster-Pike Road called police to report that an unclothed juvenile girl ran up to employees as they were leaving for the night. The girl said she'd been assaulted at a home in the 4700 block of Stockbridge Drive.

After a McDonald's employee drove the girl to a local hospital, she told officers there that the man who assaulted her had also shot another female, and that there were other juveniles inside the home.

As officers were responding to the Stockbridge Drive home, a man from inside the home called 911 to report he had just shot a female in the head. When officers arrived, they found the man standing over a female in the garage. The female had a gunshot wound to the head, and was taken to a local hospital in an unknown condition.

The man refused all orders to surrender and ran into the home.

A three-hour standoff followed before SWAT made entry to the home and found the man dead.

Police have not identified anyone involved.

Authorities have scheduled a news conference to provide more information at 1 p.m. Monday.

(first thread, mods please edit if errors are found)

No other word on whether more juveniles were found at the home, nor any identification of any parties involved yet. This is horrific news.

WKYC, Cleveland:

Girl without clothing escapes from Montville home, suspect dead after standoff

MONTVILLE, Ohio — A suspect is dead following a three-hour standoff that began after an unclothed girl escaped from a Montville home, where she said she'd been assaulted.

It started around 12:44 a.m. Sunday, when an employee at the McDonald's on Wooster-Pike Road called police to report that an unclothed juvenile girl ran up to employees as they were leaving for the night. The girl said she'd been assaulted at a home in the 4700 block of Stockbridge Drive.

After a McDonald's employee drove the girl to a local hospital, she told officers there that the man who assaulted her had also shot another female, and that there were other juveniles inside the home.

As officers were responding to the Stockbridge Drive home, a man from inside the home called 911 to report he had just shot a female in the head. When officers arrived, they found the man standing over a female in the garage. The female had a gunshot wound to the head, and was taken to a local hospital in an unknown condition.

The man refused all orders to surrender and ran into the home.

A three-hour standoff followed before SWAT made entry to the home and found the man dead.

Police have not identified anyone involved.

Authorities have scheduled a news conference to provide more information at 1 p.m. Monday.

(first thread, mods please edit if errors are found)

No other word on whether more juveniles were found at the home, nor any identification of any parties involved yet. This is horrific news.

WRONG COUNTY. This is Montville Township in Medina County. Not the One in Geauga County.

Can we get a mod to fix the title?

Attachments

• B66E0A7E-C8DA-4B5C-B486-DA7E1213CA1B.jpeg
    B66E0A7E-C8DA-4B5C-B486-DA7E1213CA1B.jpeg
    596.6 KB · Views: 14
In the PC, it's stated that in 2014, Shawn was reported to police by the shooting victim (his girlfriend) for sexually assaulting her older daughter. It was investigated by LE, referred to the county prosecutor. He declined to prosecute and it was dropped. WTG, Medina County Prosecutor, it sounds like this could have been prevented. There was another report of one of the daughters being sexually assaulted last December, but the matter was dropped.

Why wasn't this guy on someone's radar? Why wasn't there a restraining order? Why wasn't he in jail?

In the PC, it's stated that in 2014, Shawn was reported to police by the shooting victim (his girlfriend) for sexually assaulting her older daughter. It was investigated by LE, referred to the county prosecutor. He declined to prosecute and it was dropped. WTG, Medina County Prosecutor, it sounds like this could have been prevented. There was another report of one of the daughters being sexually assaulted last December, but the matter was dropped.

Why wasn't this guy on someone's radar? Why wasn't there a restraining order? Why wasn't he in jail?

Good question.
(Dropbox - Stockbridge Media Folder - Simplify your life) has the original police reports on the sexual assault.

The link above is the police report from 2014/2015 includes that Shawn had said he wanted to shoot (his girlfriend) in the head. Shawn also admitted to asking his step daughter for oral sex in order to get her mom to move out?

It basically says that the victim was "above the age of consent" so it wasn't pursued by police or prosecutor which is MADDENING.

Good question.
(Dropbox - Stockbridge Media Folder - Simplify your life) has the original police reports on the sexual assault.

The link above is the police report from 2014/2015 includes that Shawn had said he wanted to shoot (his girlfriend) in the head. Shawn also admitted to asking his step daughter for oral sex in order to get her mom to move out?

It basically says that the victim was "above the age of consent" so it wasn't pursued by police or prosecutor which is MADDENING.

So in Medina County, it's ok to sexually assault someone if they are over age 18. Good to know. I hope they advise all the women over 18 in that area.

According to the report, there was no gang involvement. So he had that working for him. Also noticed he's an Army vet. In Medina County that and being a white guy probably gets you out of a lot of trouble.

Poor Rachel Azbell. She couldn't get any help at all. She must have been living a very difficult, stressful life.

ETA: It looks from the report linked above that LE tried to get Rachel some help, but she didn't follow through. I still don't know why the prosecutor didn't pursue charges against him for his previous assaults.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking that she laid there for 2+ hours before she got any medical help. After the coward ran inside, why didn’t they scoop her up and run?! Maybe she could have been helped more? I’m no medical person and maybe her brain injury was a foregone conclusion.

I am wondering if the domestic violence situation was so volatile that she was unable to get herself and her children to safety after the first assault to the oldest daughter years ago.

These poor kids, knowing their Mother was being controlled by an alcoholic boyfriend who preyed on them.

Heartbreaking that she laid there for 2+ hours before she got any medical help. After the coward ran inside, why didn’t they scoop her up and run?! Maybe she could have been helped more? I’m no medical person and maybe her brain injury was a foregone conclusion.

I am wondering if the domestic violence situation was so volatile that she was unable to get herself and her children to safety after the first assault to the oldest daughter years ago.

These poor kids, knowing their Mother was being controlled by an alcoholic boyfriend who preyed on them.

In the police reports linked above, she said she had no funds to find another place for her and her kids to live. No financial safety net. Sadly, there aren't any financial resources to help women in her situation. They can go to a domestic violence shelter temporarily, but its hard to earn enough money in a short period of time to put a deposit on an apartment, etc. She was probably very depressed living in that situation.

So in Medina County, it's ok to sexually assault someone if they are over age 18. Good to know. I hope they advise all the women over 18 in that area.

According to the report, there was no gang involvement. So he had that working for him. Also noticed he's an Army vet. In Medina County that and being a white guy probably gets you out of a lot of trouble.

Poor Rachel Azbell. She couldn't get any help at all. She must have been living a very difficult, stressful life.

ETA: It looks from the report linked above that LE tried to get Rachel some help, but she didn't follow through. I still don't know why the prosecutor didn't pursue charges against him for his previous assaults.

I've got serious questions for this prosecutor and I don't know how much I can say here (without getting verified) but I'm local. A lot of what you have said is spot on. Very white area. Veteran. Affluent.

I also happen to know that the "help" offered by LE here is an utter joke from personal experience.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck