Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct.

To my knowledge, LE has not confirmed that there was hitchhiker.

But they sure stopped asking very quickly after the flyer/announcement went out.

JMO

I think a person was sighted on the highway and that’s who sketch one eventually was supposed to resemble. The FBI billboards nation wide, then when the first sketch was released the search for the suspect really broadened and not much emphasis was put on a local person at all. For whatever reason it appeared as if LE was looking for somebody just passing through. The woman who assisted with the sketch months later reportedly saw the person “near” the trails, not on, but how “near” is near was never mentioned. JMO

Feb 20, 2017
“If you saw a hitchhiker or somebody walking along roads in Delphi last week, the police would like to talk to you. You could help find who killed Abigail Williams and Liberty German.

Police are asking the public to try and remember if you saw somebody Monday, Feb. 13 in the late afternoon or evening.

"We're asking people that were driving down the Hoosier Heartland that might have seen a hitchhiker or someone walking. We're asking people that live in Logansport all the way to Lafayette, if they saw somebody late that afternoon, that evening of Monday the 13th, if they saw somebody walking down the roadway that just did not look like they should be there, or they're just a hitchhiker, we would like to talk to that person," said Sgt. Kim Riley, Indiana State Police....”
See somebody walking near Delphi? Call police

Jmo any confession in this case would be false...the killer is not going to confess.

Not to police anyways.

But some of these guys do have a tendency to run their mouths.

So it’s not simply about vetting the veracity of a confession to a police, but vetting the veracity of a confession to a witness.

Found part of the story -
Apr 4, 2017
High Bridge access changes, parking will no longer be allowed off of 300 North

“An entrance to the Monon High Bridge Trail area in Carroll County has been barred to keep the public out, and people will now have to walk twice as far to explore the area.....

.....Mears’ grandson and his family will be moving into the home his grandfather lived in for more than 50 years, and he expressed concerns about safety and people parking there at all hours, Corson and McCain said.

His concern was there was activity there day and night, even when you wouldn’t think there should be,” McCain said.

For the complete story, read Wednesday's Herald Journal.

(Herald Journal? This must be referring to the printed edition.)

Last edited:
In all fairness, LE hasn’t confirmed a lot of things. We are left to interpret much of the info that has been released.

And yes, I understand why... but just sayin’...

Agreed. I remember the phrase 'word salad' being used in another case I followed closely and it sometimes applies to this case. JMO

That's why I keep going back to early MSM articles.

I am going back to the beginning when it seems we needed to interpret less to find out more.

JMO

@Cutiekitty
Thank you! So that article says be on the lookout for anyone walking along the road possibly a hitchhiker. So not a guarantee of a hitchhiker out that day right?
Agree.

No guarantee of a hitchiker out that day.

But I believe that someone confirmed to LE that there was one!

That flyer did not seem to last long at all.... to the best of my recollection, it seems like it was less than a week.

JMO
Edited to clarify who someone confirmed it to

Last edited:
Agreed. I remember the phrase 'word salad' being used in another case I followed closely and it sometimes applies to this case. JMO

That's why I keep going back to early MSM articles.

I am going back to the beginning when it seems we needed to interpret less to find out more.

JMO
Been doing that myself. Interesting stuff in the media thread.

Boy do I know the feeling of going back to the same stuff time and time again.

I have been on that same dizzy merry-go-round too and I am gonna need a motion-sickness pill soon!

This is my logic:

The key to this second sketch seems to point back to where the perp was most likely sighted, which is the abandoned building. JMO

To the best of my understanding, only one person saw the perp, and I personally don't think it was on the trail that he was seen.

I believe that anyone who saw someone on the trail that they thought was the suspect contributed to describing the person in sketch number one.

It wouldn't make sense (to me) that the perp was the one hitchhiking, as he would need to keep a low profile...so my conclusion is that the hitchiker saw the perp and the car. "They were on to something early on."

Again...JMO....LE needs someone else to validate the hitchikers story about the car before they close in on making an arrest.

They know who it is.

JMO
Was there a hitchhiker who came forward with info for LE? I know LE was asking for a possible hitchhiker on that road, but was it ever confirmed that there was one?

Or, they are trying to avoid the incredible shaming and ostracizing that is inevitable, and maybe even worse. The Perp's family will have to leave town, no doubt. He is destroying three families, not just Abby and Libby's.
What a Coward.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Unless they have been covering for him I would hope the people in the area would understand they are victims also.

Often times people want to blame the parents for how a kid turned out. Imo there have been plenty of good people whose kids did bad things and bad people whose kids are good people. We will have to wait and see how this turns out.

Not to police anyways.

But some of these guys do have a tendency to run their mouths.

So it’s not simply about vetting the veracity of a confession to a police, but vetting the veracity of a confession to a witness.

Double murderer of children might be less likely to slip that into a bar conversation...jmo. There is no way to frame that as a brag, or justified, etc...

I don't think the hitchiker was bs'ing at all.

I think that the hitchiker offered up the sketch #2 and a story that was dismissed early on due to who it was about.
JMO
BRADFORDSLEUTH Now that is some crazy-good-sleuth-thinking!!! "Yeah, I hitchhiked through "them thar' parts" and a real nice "samaritan" gave me a ride into town and told me about some missing teens in the area." (Only problem being, no announcement had yet been made?)
Right now there are so many possible scenarios. Also thinking the perp could explain off any injuries as "work related" or say "he was scratched by bushes while trying to rescue a stray" etc. Something about this perp makes me think he is really good with alibis and deflection. I bet he has a history of telling lie after lie.... a seamless liar, who always tries to make himself look good??
I am just trying to imagine how he manages to "hide in plain site."

Admin Note:

This post lands at random.

Just a reminder that any information that relates to a submitted tip should not appear on the thread as it could have a negative impact on any ongoing investigation.

This is my first post. <modsnip>

Hi HouseGnome, and Welcome !! Glad you have joined the discussion while we all wait for justice for these beautiful young girls.

Don't let that little modsnip scare you. Takes a while to get to know all the ropes around here and we've all been there.

Any questions, just message a Mod or Admin and we'll try to help.

BRADFORDSLEUTH Now that is some crazy-good-sleuth-thinking!!! "Yeah, I hitchhiked through "them thar' parts" and a real nice "samaritan" gave me a ride into town and told me about some missing teens in the area." (Only problem being, no announcement had yet been made?)
Right now there are so many possible scenarios. Also thinking the perp could explain off any injuries as "work related" or say "he was scratched by bushes while trying to rescue a stray" etc. Something about this perp makes me think he is really good with alibis and deflection. I bet he has a history of telling lie after lie.... a seamless liar, who always tries to make himself look good??
I am just trying to imagine how he manages to "hide in plain site."
Your giving me undeserved credit.lol

My sleuthing this angle was just in regards to a unconfirmed hitchiker possibly being the witness to sketch #2 by seeing the perp and the car at the lot prior to the crimes ...not necessarily that the hitchiker accepted a ride from the perp.

JMO

Just a theory -

I’m wondering if LE, more than two years later, lost track of a way to contact the witness who gave that tip three days after the murder, who assisted in the newly released sketch at that time.

But if that witness happened to state they were parked from noon to 5pm at the old CPS/DCS Welfare building, then LE asking anyone to come forward with information about the parked car was a round-about way to seek contact with this person once again.

And they did, which is why the parked vehicle has never been mentioned again. JMO

ETA - This transcript on the link below is somewhat jumbled but that’s also the only inference I can think of for this -
“the person apparently gave the investigating officers the information they were looking for ... “
ISP on Delphi killer: 'Somebody may have already interviewed him'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members