Iconic actress, Doris Day, has died at 97

TCM Remembers

BIOGRAPHY
She embodied an image she hated, and for much of her life, sought a familial ideal never achieved, becoming, in the process, the biggest box-office draw in the movie business at one time before simply fading away. Doris Day became a phenomenon of sight and sound, a hit song machine in the first part of her career and, in the second, Hollywood's No. 1 female box-office star and the epitome of the girl next door. Her resume composed an American archetype - the pristine, bright-eyed sweetheart of America's neo-Victorian 1950s, even if she was far from her on-screen type. Though often successfully paired with leading man Rock Hudson in a series of iconic romantic comedies, off-screen she longed for what her characters always seemed to get in the end: the simple, stable existence of a housewife tending her corner of the American Dream.

Since she only had one grandchild and maybe a great niece, I
wonder if the bulk of her estate will go to her animal foundation.

I imagine her estate will go mostly to her animal foundation. Ms Day was a majority owner of a pet friendly hotel in Carmel, California I wonder if that will continue. Unfortunately I understand that after his Dad died Ms Day’s Grandson Ryan became estranged from her. It is tragic that someone so talented and kind had a such a difficult personal life with husbands that treated her badly and stole from her to her son dying of cancer.

TCM FILM TRIBUTE - JUNE 9 (ALL TIMES EST)

6:00 AM Romance on the High Seas (1948)

8:00 AM My Dream is Yours (1949)

10:00 AM Tea for Two (1950)

11:45 AM On Moonlight Bay (1951)

1:30 PM Carson on TCM: Doris Day (1976)

1:45 PM Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

4:00 PM Calamity Jane (1953)

6:00 PM Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)

8:00 PM Pillow Talk (1959)

10:00 PM Lover Come Back (1961)

12:00 AM Move Over, Darling (1963)

2:00 AM The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)

4:00 AM Julie (1956)

Ms. Day does not want a funeral, memorial or grave marker. Hopefully her fans who are able can give a small donation to an animal charity in her memory I think she would like that instead.

Tonight at 8:00PM (Eastern) on TCM: The Glass Bottom Boat

Looking for a madcap romp complete with Cold War intrigue? Take a ride on The Glass Bottom Boat (1966) with Doris Day and Rod Taylor. Brought to you by director Frank Tashlin, famous for his send-ups of '50s and '60s mass culture, who delivers spy thriller parodies, romance and even a few musical numbers in this screwball comedy, which includes a distinctly comedic supporting cast. Doris Day plays a widow who has just started a new job in public relations at a space laboratory that develops inventions by engineering wizard Rod Taylor. Day moonlights as a mermaid for her dad's Catalina glass bottom boat tour business and, as the film opens, is literally hooked by Taylor, little knowing that he's her new boss. Taylor sets his sights on the dizzy but wholesome blond and the stage is set for mistaken identities galore, most of them set in motion by those protecting Taylor's top-secret project, known as Gismo. They become certain that Day's mysterious calls to a certain Vladimir (her dog), and other misinterpreted behavior, are proof she's a secret agent. Meanwhile, Doris sings, Rod falls hard, and the Soviets ultimately miss the boat in this classic mid-sixties romp...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back