Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody "lost" their place and had their "dreams destroyed". People apply to many schools, those not accepted at one institution likely got accepted somewhere else. If you were not accepted at the slightly less prestigious school, you would not have been accepted at the more prestigious one either.

Only about a third of the students accepted in many of these elite institutions actually show up at the start of the school year.
By the same token, likely most of the students whose parents paid bribes would have likely been accepted somewhere without any bribes, maybe not into the particular school they got in. Yet parents were willing to pay huge amounts of money and break the laws, for which not only they but their children are going to pay for (because children are being kicked out of these schools). And it wasn't even necessary, because rich children with decent grades and scores (like that student kicked out of Georgetown) would surely have gotten into some school if not Georgetown. And some of those didn't even want to go to college really. A person who aspires to be a make up influencer doesn't really need to go to college.

And then when they showed up nobody was going to notice they are not minorities?
My guess is that most of the creativity involved claiming to be "Hispanic".

Hispanics are a cultural group and not a racial group. As such, unlike Native Americans who are actually enrolled tribal members, there are not a lot of rules with being Hispanic.

Hispanic physical features can vary- especially in the Carribean and encompass people with European, African to Asian features. Likewise, though most Hispanics have Spanish last names, it is not required. Zimmerman of the Trayvon Martin shooting and infamy is Hispanic and has a German last name. Other Hispanics can have Italian or eastern European last names (common in Argentina ala Pope Benedict) or on occasion, have Chinese last names.

Then factor in that there are millions of Hispanics who don't speak Spanish. In short, if somebody says they are Hispanic, it is almost impossible to prove they are not with out going deeply into family origins.

Last edited:
A plea hearing is scheduled today for two more parents accused in the nationwide college admissions scandal.

Gordon Caplan, a prominent New York lawyer and Agustin Huneeus Jr., a well known Napa Valley wine maker -- are both expected to plead guilty.

Both are charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud.

The hearing is set for 2:30 p.m. at Federal Court in Boston.

New York lawyer, Napa Valley wine maker expected to plead guilty in admissions scandal

“Olivia Jade wants to go back to USC,” a source told Us Weekly. “She didn’t get officially kicked out and she is begging the school to let her back in.”

“She knows they won’t let her in, so she’s hoping this info gets out,” another insider told the news outlet. “She wants to come out looking like she’s changed, learned life lessons and is growing as a person, so she for sure wants people to think she is interested in her education.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/21/oliv...ts-to-go-back-to-usc-amid-admissions-scandal/

Olivia Jade isn’t letting her parents’ legal turmoil get in the way of her very active social life.

The 19-year-old Instagram celebrity was spotted partying in West Hollywood last week.

Olivia Jade Giannulli wants to return to USC while her parents fight bribery charges | Daily Mail Online

My guess is that most of the creativity involved claiming to be "Hispanic".

Hispanics are a cultural group and not a racial group. As such, unlike Native Americans who are actually enrolled tribal members, there are not a lot of rules with being Hispanic.

Hispanic physical features can vary- especially in the Carribean and encompass people with European, African to Asian features. Likewise, though most Hispanics have Spanish last names, it is not required. Zimmerman of the Trayvon Martin shooting and infamy is Hispanic and has a German last name. Other Hispanics can have Italian or eastern European last names (common in Argentina ala Pope Benedict) or on occasion, have Chinese last names.

Then factor in that there are millions of Hispanics who don't speak Spanish. In short, if somebody says they are Hispanic, it is almost impossible to prove they are not with out going deeply into family origins.

BBM

OT, but this is the 37th anniversary of my first college graduation, so here's a snippet of European history for y'all:

Linda Ronstadt is also Hispanic. For a short time, Mexico had a European ruler, Emperor Maximilian. Unfortunately for Emperor Maximilian & his wife Queen Charlotte, er, Mexico didn't want an Emperor...he was executed by firing squad.

During the couples' time in Mexico, several shiploads of German & Austrian engineers came to build buildings, roads, and bridges. Other tradesmen came as well, leaving their Germanic surnames and some beautiful buildings!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread!

BBM

OT, but this is the 37th anniversary of my first college graduation, so here's a snippet of European history for y'all:

Linda Ronstadt is also Hispanic. For a short time, Mexico had a European ruler, Emperor Maximilian. Unfortunately for Emperor Maximilian & his wife Queen Charlotte, er, Mexico didn't want an Emperor...he was executed by firing squad.

During the couples' time in Mexico, several shiploads of German & Austrian engineers came to build buildings, roads, and bridges. Other tradesmen came as well, leaving their Germanic surnames and some beautiful buildings!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread!

O/T

And Louis C. K. has dual citizenship, American and Mexican on his fathers side. (Paternal grandmother is Mexican and his father is Mexican)

Gregory and Marcia Abbott and Peter Jan Sartorio entered their guilty pleas Wednesday in Boston federal court.

The Abbotts were charged with paying $125,000 to have someone cheat on their daughter’s entrance exams. Gregory Abbot is the founder of a food and beverage packaging company.

Sartorio was charged with paying $15,000 to have someone correct his daughter’s answers on the ACT. He founded an organic frozen food company.

Nineteen other parents are fighting the charges including Lori Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli.

College admissions scandal: Gregory, Marcia Abbott plead guilty

I don't know what he knew or didn't know, but the university either knew or had to know that he wasn't a tennis player. They investigated the coach, they dismissed the coach, obviously this student was not playing tennis. They allowed him to continue to study, to pay tuition, to earn credits, and now they want to nullify all of that. If they wanted to kick him out, seems like they should have done so long ago.

I agree, though they may be trying to get around this prohibition with something akin to citing an "honor code" (if the school in fact has such a thing - I don't know). If you want to bring a suit against him for fraud or similar I think that is one thing; I wouldn't be sad if he had to do community service or get probation... but negating all the work he did do and rescinding his credits, I think that's the wrong way to go about it. He did do the work. Punish him for how he came to be at the school in the first place; don't say he didn't do the work.

BBM

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, though they may be trying to get around this prohibition with something akin to citing an "honor code" (if the school in fact has such a thing - I don't know).
I imagine they do have honor codes buried deep in the student handbook and rarely referred to. If the school wants to use the honor code as a basis for not providing a documentation of completed work (transcript), they should not have cashed his tuition checks. The school should also look to the military service academies where honor codes are rigorously adhered to.

My strong suspicion is that those expelled from West Point, Annapolis and Colorado Springs for honor violations are also given transcripts. Such a policy would reflect the honor policy of the school: We always recognize and reward earned accomplishment. In this case that recognition consists of a transcript and appropriate grades. But, you are being expelled for honor violation "X"....

Though the private school can put what ever twists into an honor policy it wants, my guess is that in the end they will have to issue the transcript via an understood contract as a historical documentation of performed work.

Any inconsistencies regarding their willingness to cash 'dishonorable' checks and their unwillingness to issue a transcript based on an "honor code" is only going to hurt them.

Though the private school can put what ever twists into an honor policy it wants, my guess is that in the end they will have to issue the transcript via an understood contract as a historical documentation of performed work.

IIRC the dean of Faber College (National Lampoon's Animal House) invented Double Secret Probation for the selected fraternity...

LL’s status conference is set for Monday.
She still claims she’s done nothing wrong, how can that be?
Lori Loughlin could face 40 years in prison, reports say

Her hubris and narcissism won't allow her to believe that she has done anything wrong. The entitlement mentality is epic. She is rich, and wanted to buy her daughter a place at USC. So she wrote a few checks. The people she wrote the checks to are the bad ones. Of course. It is all a big misunderstanding.

Her hubris and narcissism won't allow her to believe that she has done anything wrong. The entitlement mentality is epic. She is rich, and wanted to buy her daughter a place at USC. So she wrote a few checks. The people she wrote the checks to are the bad ones. Of course. It is all a big misunderstanding.
Yes, wrote checks and sent in fake photos of her daughters rowing, but it’s all a big misunderstanding. Have you noticed how psycho her eyes are in the photos where she’s got that big toothy smile? My hubby pointed that out to me, lol.

I’m actually beginning to wonder if she’s going to go so far as to try to place all the blame on her husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne