Found Deceased IL - Marlen Ochoa-Uriostegui, 19, nine months pregnant, Chicago, 24 Apr 2019 *Arrest*

I am not suggesting hospital shouldn't have alerted authorities. I don't understand why they didn't, it doesn't make any sense. But if the baby is brain dead, then he is already dead. I am actually surprise hospital is keeping him on life support for that long, because in other cases, hospitals turn life support off brain dead patients and don't need relatives permission, and relatives have to go to court if they want life support kept on (such as Jahi McMath case)

Yes. But again, that's besides the point. His status is irrelevant to my post about how they failed to alert the authorities and what could've happened had they not. The baby's brain function is a red herring.

She could've snatched the baby out of there before DNA tests and disappeared him. Or given the pace of the notification and investigation, she could've smothered him and/or simply had him taken off life support af then had him cremated. Same result. No body.

As to Jahi Mcmath that's a different case but no. They're not allowed to take a child off life support without a parent's permission. They'd have to go to court if the parent disagreed.

But the fact is, the hospital's inaction made that decision up to the monsters who murdered him. At least for three weeks.

In McMath case, hospital was going to take her off life support, and it was the parents that had to go to court to stop that. McMath was in fact issued a death certificate in California five years ago, so she was officially dead there. Parents had to fly her to New Jersey, where brain death isn't necessarily considered death if family disagrees. Hospital in California was not going to keep her on life support, that's why family had to remove her from the hospital and from the state. But the laws apparently differ from state to state.

Last edited:
That's beside the point. The hospital should not refrain from making decisions that could affect the welfare of a child they know is not the supposed mother's, OR thatcould affect the rights of his actual family, just because they believe him to be brain dead.

That's insane. They knew she brought a half dead baby to the hospital who was not hers. She was allowed access to him. She could've run off with him or smothered him there in the hospital to prevent a connection from being made.

The hospital should have immediately alerted the police. That very day.
This is just such basic common sense for anyone, let alone people who are trained in the medical field.

State not alerted for weeks that woman may not be baby’s mom

“Illinois’ child welfare agency says more than two weeks passed before it was alerted that a woman taken to a Chicago-area hospital with a gravely ill newborn may not be his mother, even though she arrived bloodied and showed no signs of giving birth.”
Heads are gonna roll! And they should! The failure here on EVERY single level! Sadly her other son should live very well for the rest of his life, because of the blunders here!

When my brother was brain dead (adult) he opened his eyes for a brief moment and even sat upright. Freaked my poor cousin out. But the nurses told Me this was normal :( jmo.
But I do believe in miracles and anything can happen. I pray he pulls through.

What a beautiful little baby he is! A miracle here would be amazing.

104j87p.jpg

A baby cut from his mother's womb after she was killed opens his eyes - CNN

Maybe. If the baby is actually able to breathe without a respirator, there is some hope. The problem with preemies, and babies who had a traumatic birth, is that you just don't know which ones will be okay, and which ones will be severely multiply impaired. It takes time.
From what has been reported, he either has no brain activity (brain dead) or little brain activity (severely brain damaged). Neither one suggesting a good outcome. He was deprived of oxygen while his mother was being strangled to death. Brain dies the fastest of all organs.

From what has been reported, he either has no brain activity (brain dead) or little brain activity (severely brain damaged). Neither one suggesting a good outcome. He was deprived of oxygen while his mother was being strangled to death. Brain dies the fastest of all organs.

I spent years working with children who had been considered "brain dead" with severe Anoxia, lack of oxygen to the brain, but their bodies kept working, no respirator needed. They have to be tube fed, with a button in their stomach. All of them were in wheelchairs. Children like this are eligible for special education services until age 22 in public school.

It is not my opinion whether or not this little guy will make it, but if he ends up breathing on his own, they don't pull any "plugs".

I spent years working with children who had been considered "brain dead" with severe Onoxia, lack of oxygen to the brain, but their bodies kept working, no respirator needed. They have to be tube fed, with a button in their stomach. All of them were in wheelchairs. Children like this are eligible for special education services until age 22 in public school.

It is not my opinion whether or not this little guy will make it, but if he ends up breathing on his own, they don't pull any "plugs".
They wouldn't be brain dead, just brain damaged. By definition, brain dead persons can not breathe on their own. There is no brain function in a brain dead person, thus they can not survive without a respirator.

They wouldn't be brain dead, just brain damaged. By definition, brain dead persons can not breathe on their own. There is no brain function in a brain dead person, thus they can not survive without a respirator.

I don't know, either way, I hope he gets better. Having a child with severe multiple disabilities is definitely a game changer. People get so wrapped up in "saving" the baby, they don't have a realistic idea of what the potential outcomes there are...and it really is a toss up. In this case, who knows.

The people who did this should definitely get the death penalty.

I don't know, either way, I hope he gets better. Having a child with severe multiple disabilities is definitely a game changer. People get so wrapped up in "saving" the baby, they don't have a realistic idea of what the potential outcomes there are...and it really is a toss up. In this case, who knows.

The people who did this should definitely get the death penalty.
There is no death penalty in IL. Yes, I am afraid in this case the child surviving might be a severely disabled child which is what sounds like, since he has either little or no brain function.

My thoughts as a nurse and former social worker about the hospital not calling DCFS is that this hospital needs to be made an example for mandated reporters that you HAVE to call no matter what you think or don't think happened or whether or not you think someone else already reported it.

I suspect that no one called because everyone assumed someone else already had, for example ER nurses and Dr. didn't report because they thought EMS already had called it in or because they thought NICU social worker would once baby was taken to NICU, then NICU staff didn't because they assumed EMS or ER staff had. It's a cycle I've seen before especially in a big busy facility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back