GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIFTY--

No doubt this will be the defense's strategy. LR is not a model citizen; he's an confessed murderer and "jack boy" (armed robber of drug dealers)! And you are correct that he admitted he and SG did drugs while on their mission to kill DM. There will undoubtedly be details of LR's confession/implication of LR and the As that will be shown to be inaccurate in certain details. The people who participate in criminal conspiracies and then flip and testify against their former partners in crime are usually deeply flawed individuals; LR is no exception.

That said, is it your position that LR and SG did not travel from Miami to Tallahassee to kill DM at the behest of members of the A family? If not, what possible other reason did they have to commit this crime? No one -- including the As' attorneys -- has put forward any remotely plausible theory that did not involve LR and SG killing DM as directed and paid by certain members of the A family. Do you have one? (Whether WA herself was involved in the plot remains an open question in my mind.)
Yea, I mean these guys didn't know Dan Markel. IMO this is all on Charlie. The last straw for him was Dan wanting supervised visits when Charlie's mother was with the grands because she bad-mouthed Dan. I don't believe Charlie's mother even knew he was going to do this.

Tuesday, May 21st:
*Final Pretrial Hearing for both (@ 10:30am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Sigfredo Garcia (34) arrested & charged (5/25/16) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder.
*Katherine Magbanua (32) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy & solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
Court hearings from 6/21/18 thru 4/30/19 reference post #165 here:
FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

5/1/19: Magbanua files Motion non-party motion for protective order. Motion hearing for trial continuance on 5/7 for Garcia only.
5/7/19 Update: Judge has DENIED the absurd request from the defense to delay the trial due to the impending birth of one of the attorney's baby in July. Magbanua's attorney filed a request for a delay on Tuesday morning citing recent health concerns & what she says is difficulty in scheduling depositions & getting evidence from the State. The Judge acknowledged the motion, but will make a ruling in writing soon. Judge says trial should last 3 weeks. Next motions hearing on 5/21 for both. 5/10/19: Judge again denies continuance of trial. Trial starts 6/3.
Accomplice:
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson.

Some snippets:
Defense has heavy lift in Markel murder evidence dump
Updated 1:49 p.m. ET May 21, 2019
The last-minute pretrial shuffling in the case of two people charged with the murder of Florida State law professor Dan Markel continued Tuesday.

With just two weeks until a jury is seated, a mountain of evidence is being provided by prosecutors to the defense attorneys of Katherine Magbanua.
[...]
Lead prosecutor Georgia Cappleman was granted a request to seal the data from public view because it contains information about patients in Adelson’s Tamarac dentistry practice.

Tuesday’s hearing also was a chance for Cappleman and Magbanua’s attorneys to hammer out an ongoing back and forth over evidence being provided by the state.

Monday, Leon Circuit Judge James C. Hankinson gave the state five days to provide a list of items the defense said it didn't have but are crucial to providing effective counsel to Magbanua.

Adelson’s iCloud data has always been available, just not releasable without a court order because of the medical records, Cappleman said.

Hankinson’s order has provided the defense with that they’ve asked for, but it’s admittedly a lot to sort through with just weeks until jury selection, she said.

“I tend to agree with them, but I think that most of the information they’ve request is not relevant to the case,” she said. “We’re scrambling upstairs and working hard to get ready, but we’ll be ready.”
[...]

Judge denies third request for trial delay in Dan Markel murder case
May 21, 2019

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) – Katherine Magbanua's defense team had renewed its request for a trial delay, but it was denied Tuesday morning for the third time.
[...]
The defense had asked for a trial delay for the third time, saying it’s just getting word of six more witnesses, and now has access to new text messages and FBI wiretaps.

A Leon County judge denied the request to delay the trial. The trial is set to begin June 3.

May 20, 2019
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) – A key witness in the upcoming Dan Markel murder case is now back in Tallahassee.

Records show Luis Rivera was transported from a federal prison in Tucson, Arizona and booked into the Leon County Jail late last week.
[...]
Magbanua's attorneys have asked for a delay in the trial, saying the state has been slow to turn over evidence in the case. In a motion filed Monday, they contend prosecutors have “thumbed their nose” at rules requiring them to turn over evidence and called it "classic trial by ambush."
[...]

Haven't seen any press on it yet, but based on the docket, it looks like a continuance was granted today and June 3 trial is off. Status conference set for June 18.

Haven't seen any press on it yet, but based on the docket, it looks like a continuance was granted today and June 3 trial is off. Status conference set for June 18.
Markel Murder Trial Delayed Again

"New evidence led Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson to push back the trial yet again. Prosecutors anounced Thursday they’ve unlocked the cellphone of one of Markel’s alleged murderers.

Law enforcement began analyzing Katherine Magbanua’s cellphone after a search warrant was approved last week."

Although another delay is unfortunate, I truly hope this is the break in the case that leads to ALL responsible parties facing justice.

Markel Murder Trial Delayed Again

"New evidence led Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson to push back the trial yet again. Prosecutors anounced Thursday they’ve unlocked the cellphone of one of Markel’s alleged murderers.

Law enforcement began analyzing Katherine Magbanua’s cellphone after a search warrant was approved last week."

Although another delay is unfortunate, I truly hope this is the break in the case that leads to ALL responsible parties facing justice.

I wonder why it took SO long to get a search warrant approved to look at her phone? It seems like that's something that should have been addressed back when she was arrested, or even before she was arrested.

I wonder why it took SO long to get a search warrant approved to look at her phone? It seems like that's something that should have been addressed back when she was arrested, or even before she was arrested.
'A stone that was unturned': Cellphone data forces delay in Markel suspects' murder trial

They're claiming that they used "newly discovered technology" to unlock the phone. Maybe a warrant was needed to use the new method.

Markel family is understandably not happy with the delay:
"The Markel Family is deeply disappointed by today’s continuance. In the nearly five years since Dan was brutally assassinated, the Markels have endured unfathomable grief and loss," they said through their attorney Orin Synder. "They continue to suffer, some of them in declining health, with each passing day. Justice delayed will continue to be justice denied for the Markel Family and all who knew and loved Dan."

'A stone that was unturned': Cellphone data forces delay in Markel suspects' murder trial

They're claiming that they used "newly discovered technology" to unlock the phone. Maybe a warrant was needed to use the new method.

Markel family is understandably not happy with the delay:
"The Markel Family is deeply disappointed by today’s continuance. In the nearly five years since Dan was brutally assassinated, the Markels have endured unfathomable grief and loss," they said through their attorney Orin Synder. "They continue to suffer, some of them in declining health, with each passing day. Justice delayed will continue to be justice denied for the Markel Family and all who knew and loved Dan."
I'm sorry for the family but honestly, this is the first delay I don't mind.

I wonder if we're looking at another 6 months. Maybe the judge has leeway to reschedule for later in the summer because the trial has been delayed so many times.

Then again, maybe the (admissible) content of the cell phone will finally force KM to take a plea and there won't be a need for a trial (assuming SG also sees that the jig is up).

@SeesSeas - could you tell me "what time" the status hearing on 6/18 is please? TIA! :)

@SeesSeas - could you tell me "what time" the status hearing on 6/18 is please? TIA! :)
CASE MANAGEMENT 6/18/2019 10:30 AM
https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/public/online_services/search_courts/search_by_name.asp

37 2016 CF 003036 A - STATE OF FLORIDA vs MAGBANUA, KATHERINE D

Event Date Start Location Judge Result Source
CASE MANAGEMENT 6/18/2019 10:30 AM HANKINSON JIS

MOTION HEARING 5/23/2019 1:00 PM HANKINSON JIS

MOTION TO CONTINUE - GRANTED OFF 6-3 CMC 6-18 COURT ORDERED - SCREENING BY FDLE AND PROSECUTOR FROM ANOTHER OFFICE FOR REVIEW OF PHONE RECORDS ; ALSO ANOTHER JUDGE TO HEAR ANY MOTIONS CONCERNING PHONE REVIEW - WRITTEN ORDER TO FOLLOW

SAME for Garcia:
https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/public/online_services/search_courts/search_by_name.asp
37 2016 CF 001581 A - STATE OF FLORIDA vs GARCIA, SIGFREDO

Event Date Start Location Judge Result Source
CASE MANAGEMENT 6/18/2019 10:30 AM HANKINSON JIS

MOTION HEARING 5/23/2019 1:00 PM HANKINSON JIS

MOTION TO CONTINUE - GRANTED OFF 6-3 CMC 6-18 10:30 COURT ORDERED - SCREENING BY FDLE AND PROSECUTOR FROM ANOTHER OFFICE FOR REVIEW OF PHONE RECORDS ALSO ANOTHER JUDGE TO HEAR ANY MOTIONS CONCERNING PHONE RECORDS - WRITTEN ORDER TO FOLLOW

Thank for taking the time to look that up for me SeesSeas!
animated-smileys-waving-017.gif

May 26 2019
TaxProf Blog: Dan Markel's Murder: The TV Series
By Paul Caron

"Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Podcasts: Wondery Looking to Adapt 'Over My Dead Body' for TV:

Matt Shaer has a knack for weaving an intriguing story. The writer turned podcaster took aim at a twisted tale of marriage, divorce, and revenge in Over My Dead Body in conjunction with the Wondery network. The six-part series ended its run at the top of Apple’s podcasting list, and now Wondery has a whole new set of plans for the story. The success of Dirty John’s adaptation to a TV series has buoyed the podcast production company’s confidence, and they are ready to take another stab at the television true crime genre. There may be no better series to adapt to television than this crazy tale!

While fans are excited to see Over My Dead Body turned into a television series, it is going to be a rather long wait. The network is allegedly just in the planning phase of creating the show, and it will likely take more than a year to develop the story into a script.

The show will also have to wait for the legal battle to wrap up. The podcast focused in on the murder of Dan Markel, but the case is still active. ... The production house will likely want to wait for all of the legal loose ends to be tied up before they move forward. Not only will it allow the story to be told in full, but it will ensure they don’t run into any problems with getting it on the air.

Over My Dead Body is a six-episode podcast series that tells the story of Dan Markel and Wendi Adelson. Markel, then a 33-year-old successful lawyer met Wendi Adelson, a 26-year-old law student on JDate. From there the pair had a picture-perfect romance, including a lavish Boca Raton wedding in 2006. They went on to have two children together.

Cracks in the marriage appeared as soon as the family landed in Tallahassee for Markel’s newest career move. Wendi hated Tallahassee, but Dan was immersed in the city and his teaching career. Divorce proceedings were started, but a bitter custody battle and an overbearing family made the divorce particularly contentious.

Then one day, Markel turns up mortally wounded. Shot in his driveway in a quiet residential neighborhood, police set out to figure out exactly who would want the prominent lawyer and professor dead. Suddenly all eyes were on Adelson, but there is far more to the story than that.

Over My Dead Body takes listeners on a twisted journey that delves deep into family dynamics, cultural expectations, and what could have led to the demise of someone that is described as likable and spirited"

rbbm.
Updated 3:01 p.m. ET May 28, 2019
DCA to decide whether Wendi Adelson can be deposed
"Appeals judges will hear arguments Wednesday on whether to let stand a protective order allowing Wendi Adelson to skirt a deposition subpoena by the attorneys of a woman accused of killing her ex-husband.

Kristen Kawass, an appellate attorney for suspected Dan Markel murderer Katherine Magbanua, will argue that Adelson — whose family has been implicated in but not charged for orchestrating the July 2014 shooting — should speak with the defense team prior to testifying at trial."

"The oral argument is set for 11 a.m. Wednesday at the First District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23