KY KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Watching tonight's episode. From what I can tell, in the first few minutes, his death was a hired hit. It was somehow linked to an informant he was working with on drug trafficking.

JMO, from the start this looked like a hit of some kind. Quite a few murders in this area, mostly related to drugs and drug trafficking groups. Not surprised to hear there problems with informants working with LE. This seems a common pattern in small towns & cities and rural counties.

The only way investigators make headway sometimes is working with people in prison hoping to reduce their sentences. Sometimes it works, especially if the information can be used to take a new look at evidence in these cold cases. Interesting also how it's tv shows and documentaries who often uncover info and break these cases over.

See also: "Gone: The Forgotten Women of Ohio" to learn about problems with LE, informants and drug trafficking gangs

Gone: The Forgotten Women of Ohio (TV Mini-Series 2017) - IMDb

I'm giving running commentary here:

Informant/inmate is saying Jason was killed because he was getting close to finding out about robberies at local storage units, might be related to drugs. Tells the location of the weapon, where it was hidden. LE says they haven't heard about any of this. They haven't investigated. Not very friendly towards the people with the tv documentary.

From what I can tell, Ellis was just a patrolman with a K9. He would certainly be aware of going on’s around town but he would not be directly involved in any ongoing investigation. That would be the role of a Detective. It is possible that he handeled one or more informants but normally, someone in his position would turn over to his commanding officer any information he might have concerning serious criminal activity. Killing a beat cop because “ he knew too much” seems unlikely. The one exception might be if internal corruption as involved.

My brother was in rehab in Bardstown. Most people agree this case was about covering up corruption in the department over drug trafficking. Drugs are big money in rural areas.

I attend church with a native Bardstownian. I'll see what he knows. Families are all connected in these small towns.

I didn't find out anything new, but Tommy Ballard's father worked with my church friend. Poor man lost his daughter to murder, a brutal domestic violence situation, then his granddaughter Crystal Rogers disappeared. Because his son Tommy was keeping the case alive and searching for her he was murdered. He thinks if Crystal's mother doesn't stop looking for these cases to be resolved she could be next if she gets too close to the truth.

Sad situation. Doesn't bode well that Crystal's boyfriend's brother was fired for interfering in the investigation.

He didn't think it was the police that murdered Jason Ellis but someone local and the police were covering it up. Drugs, prostitution, who knows what.

From everything I've read including all WS posts on all the murders and print articles elsewhere I've never felt warm nor cozy about LE. Any of them. Hinky meter launched long ago never to return. KWIM.

The Oxygen series really pointed the many discrepancies of what LE officials were saying. I liked the retired Detective and he saw through their BS as well. I believe the look on his face when they were reporting what they had found summed it up perfectly. ;)

JE murder was a cold blooded execution. Down to the minute. Who else would know exactly when he was leaving, where he would go and when he would arrive at that exact spot.... Just one logical answer to those questions IMHO.

I believe there is a link between the murders. No doubt Bardstown is full of rampant corruption and MAJOR BIG $$$$.
I also believe it's pretty obvious what this is about.

The drug abuse has been reported on for many years and just keeps growing. Too much $$$$ to fret about dropping people who get in the way. It's truly heartbreaking it spilled over to Crystal and Tommy. I pray for the Ballard family daily as I fear there will be further bloodshed.

Kentucky has a long history of corruption in small towns, especially elected officials in the rural areas where those jobs and teachers are the main employers.

I need to watch the documentary. Is it streaming online?

The 5 part series is on OXYGEN channel.
"The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers".

Most of the YouTube videos that streamed have been deleted. Although it was mainly about CR I thought it was presented well and went into the other murders. I really liked the retired Detective & I need to look his name up.

I have become obsessed with the BM'S and am soaking up everything I can. I really hope Oxygen does a Season 2 on this series.

BARDSTOWN, Ky. (LEX 18)- Bardstown Police found skeletal remains Wednesday as they searched for a homeless camp in the woods.

According to a release from the department, officers responded to the rear of Windsor Garden in an attempt to find a homeless male camping. While canvassing the area, officers located skeletal remains.

The bones have been sent to the medical examiner for review.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Bardstown Police Department or the anonymous tip line at 502-348-4328.

Skeletal Remains Found In Bardstown

I got really freaked out around an hour or so ago. I was standing outside the liquor store in Bloomfield when (literally) a couple of MILES of cop cars drove by toward Chaplin.

Honestly... I hadn't seen that many cop cars (anywhere) at one time in all of my 37 years. And I'd never seen that long of a line of cars of any kind going through Bloomfield. A few news vans were in the group and there was at least one (TV station?) helicopter flying around.

I hope I don't wind up on some news clip later on tonight. I was standing there watching the cars go by, along with many others who were doing the same. Only I was trying to hold a few bags of booze while throwing chicken bones to a stray cat and looking really confused.

Today is the anniversary of Officer Ellis' murder and they had a candlelight vigil at his grave in Chaplin. Hopefully it went smoothly, because I don't know how that many cars would be able to park at the cemetery. I don't know how that many cars could even fit in Chaplin itself, much less all at the graveyard.

Three year anniversary of Officer Jason Ellis' murder marked with candlelight vigil
WKYT
(CBS Lexington, KY)
5/25/2016
I realize this is an old post but if @bflocket is still here at WS I feel the need to commend them on the both touching and hysterical mental pictures this post provided.

The 5 part series is on OXYGEN channel.
"The Disappearance of Crystal Rogers".

Most of the YouTube videos that streamed have been deleted. Although it was mainly about CR I thought it was presented well and went into the other murders. I really liked the retired Detective & I need to look his name up.

I have become obsessed with the BM'S and am soaking up everything I can. I really hope Oxygen does a Season 2 on this series.
Look up the murders of Kathy and Samantha Netherland. Also in Bardstown KY. If you think you're obsessed now lol

The FBI is reminding people that it's offering up to a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person who killed Officer Jason Ellis. The FBI posted the reminder on Facebook during National Police Week. "They used the most opportune moment to remind us, me included, that we are here, there's still $50,000 reward that the FBI will pay for that information," said Sherpherdsville Police Chief Rick McCubbin.
FBI reminds public of $50,000 reward in murder of Bardstown Officer Jason Ellis

VIDEO and transcript.
FBI intensifies effort to find killer in murder cold case
"Somebody has to know something," Eastman said.

The silence surrounding the case has always bothered the family.

By all accounts, Ellis was well-known and loved in the small, central Kentucky town.

But until someone comes forward, the killer remains free.

"There is somebody out there walking free that took something from us. And they're selfish, they're cowards and they're evil," Eastman said.

Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact their local FBI office.

Tips may also be sent to elliscaseetips@ky.gov."

When they can’t solve a case of one of their own being murdered, it doesn’t give me much hope that the other area murders will ever be solved.

His really bothers me a lot. My exit is the one he was killed at so I pass his memorial quite often. There was a LOT going on within Bardstown PD and the mayor during the time Ofc Ellis was killed. I think a few names are overlooked because of the other high profile cases that were going on around the same time. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, by any means, but I really do think that Ofc. Ellis, Crystal Rogers and Tommy Ballard's could be solved at the same time. I don't think the Netherland's are connected to any of them. I do think it's possible there were some people within the department that could've been involved, but I don't necessarily think it's who people usually accuse.

I am so into the bardstown cases. I believe there’s a bigger picture.
Check out the case of Kara Tingle Rigdon and note her ex husband is part of a biker gang called the Iron Horsemen.

Look at where her car was located

I am so into the bardstown cases. I believe there’s a bigger picture.
Check out the case of Kara Tingle Rigdon and note her ex husband is part of a biker gang called the Iron Horsemen.

Look at where her car was located
Does Kara have a thread here? TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
icedtea