Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@K9Enzo You're right when they posted that on FB I guess they are done with public input. We probably give them added work & they do have limited resources. I wonder if they had ppl call with stories abt meeting MH farther back before his hike started, that could mean he'd been using another identity for a very long time. I would understand their need for someone kown to MH to make contact; so they arent chasing their tales. (I know thats been discussed before I guess Im typing what comes to mind lol)

The hiking community was crucial when he was discovered because many had interacted with him, hiked with him and had pictures. It was a big deal to put a face to the deceased man in the tent.

I don’t believe they are going to put any man hours into leads unless they find them credible.

It’s definitely a balancing act with the public and tips.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why LE has not requested the Namus file to include a pic of MH in addition to the sketch?

LE/ME could put the photos of MH in themselves since they are the ones who entered the case. The pics may already be in there, just not viewable to the public which, IMO, would be a little silly since MH's photos are all over the 'net.

I also think it’s good to call in a tip, regardless. Some here felt strongly about some of the pics of other missing men, while others didn’t.

There was a tip I called in years ago when police in my work area were looking for a man who was exposing himself to girls and tried to lure one into his van. I felt it was a long shot but I had to do it, my conscious would have weighed on me.

I appreciate the person that responds to me, however I do not understand how they can rule out within minutes so many profiles-especially some that are not in the database. I have said it before, it appears they have a detail we do not know. Something that would be listed in a missing person file or noticeable on their photos.

Chasing their tales...as in taking the time to rule out missing people with tattoos and chipped teeth? Because so far that is the only missing people except one that they have put on the rule out list.

The hiking community was helping until they cut them off by telling them they did not have time to answer any questions..Whether they meant to rude or not, some of the hiking community felt it was.

NamUs a great tool if it was taken more seriously by the people entering information...unfortunately not all of the information is entered (such as photos), information is entered incorrectly, it is rarely updated and not all missing departments take the time to enter a report. The contact information for tips do not give you an email address.. (A call to the numbers usually get you to a voice mail or you jump through hoops to talk with the right person..In today's world calls are rarely answered/returned and most people use email)

I appreciate the person that responds to me, however I do not understand how they can rule out within minutes so many profiles-especially some that are not in the database. I have said it before, it appears they have a detail we do not know. Something that would be listed in a missing person file or noticeable on their photos.

For that last submission, I think they would have been able to rule it out so quickly just based on the fact that MH did not have any major scars which I would assume would include plastic surgery. For him to be that last submission he would have had to undergone drastic nose surgery at the least.

I also think it’s good to call in a tip, regardless. Some here felt strongly about some of the pics of other missing men, while others didn’t.

There was a tip I called in years ago when police in my work area were looking for a man who was exposing himself to girls and tried to lure one into his van. I felt it was a long shot but I had to do it, my conscious would have weighed on me.

Crud - autocorrect

*conscience

Who the h@ll are you dude?? We have tried everything we can think of, throw us a clue!!!
I’m disappointed in LE in this case. They don’t seem interested in any tips at this point. They only want someone who knows him to give his name. Submissions that are made are immediately dismissed. They never checked for a camping permit in Unionville. It’s one phone call. I don’t honestly know that town hall has looked, or would actually tell me if they found something. His name and address could be sitting right there FGS!

Chasing their tales...as in taking the time to rule out missing people with tattoos and chipped teeth? Because so far that is the only missing people except one that they have put on the rule out list.

The hiking community was helping until they cut them off by telling them they did not have time to answer any questions..Whether they meant to rude or not, some of the hiking community felt it was.

NamUs a great tool if it was taken more seriously by the people entering information...unfortunately not all of the information is entered (such as photos), information is entered incorrectly, it is rarely updated and not all missing departments take the time to enter a report. The contact information for tips do not give you an email address.. (A call to the numbers usually get you to a voice mail or you jump through hoops to talk with the right person..In today's world calls are rarely answered/returned and most people use email)

Off course I would submit somebody if I think that this person has, besides the looks, a couple of other things that fit. Although I'm holding back on doing this, especially when I keep on having doubts "going over it" a few times. I always have done this and will keep doing it. I agree with you on the strange rule outs, in my opinion no where near MH. I'm sure they have a reason for doing so. I'm also frustrated sometimes with NAMUS (but I guess they are most of the time depending on LE for getting the right information to put in a file), but their goals are good and most of the time there is more relevant information available then, for instance, on the Dutch or Canadian unidentified and missing persons sites. Giving us (the public) a possibility to really search/help. The system content is depending on people who, I guess, have a huge workload and cases keep piling up. In the past I called in obvious mistakes, information that was available elsewhere, even pictures of missing persons I found on the internet and not available in NAMUS. I'm aware that they have to check this with family etc. so it will take time...Positive thing is still old cases are recently entered. I think you would have a day-job only reading E-mails or answering them...NAMUS-contacts (most of them) at least let you know (automatically) that your mail is received. Some official agency's don't even do that.
@Classito Although I think you last MP is not a match, I like your persistence. At least you keep on trying to find a match. I tip my head for that.

I'm wondering if the quick response was because they've already compared and eliminated that MP?
Although, IMO, I felt that response was quite unprofessional.
It would be helpful to have a current rule out list from LE, but with that type of reply, I know I would be hesitant to request one, MOO!
It saddens me to think that our Denim may not have had close family that is looking for him. I think I have a bit of a soft spot for him as he looks very much like a good friend that passed away from a brain tumor. They seriously look similar enough to be brothers. I would love to see DDP pick this one up.

Not long after the candid photo of Denim spreading peanut butter on a tortilla at Calf Mountain Shelter it appears Denim trimmed his beard much shorter-- he is the one standing behind the picnic table farthest from the camera.
These photos were posted Aug 27, 2007:
tj21587_082817_111303_1133107.jpg

tj21587_082817_111303_1133108.jpg

GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Photo : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals
GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Photo : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

At first he seems taken off guard by the camera, then he poses for the second photo. MOO.

View attachment 181116
I can't find the original source of this photo at the moment (pretty sure it was posted in the first thread) but thanks to Joe's Blog I just figured out this was taken on top of Humpback Rock-- most likely on or around Aug 28, 2017. Note Denim had shaved and cut his hair so it was likely after the photos of him standing behind the picnic table posted on Aug 27. MOO.

Humpback Rock is only about 14 miles south from Calf Mountain Shelter (Google walking directions do not always follow the AT, however):
Google Maps

Revisiting these photos. Does it look like Denim might have a slight sunken chest?
Pectus excavatum - Wikipedia

I noticed it most in the photo with his hands on his hips but I thought he was just super skinny. Surely the coroner would have noted that and we would know about it, right?

I came across this abducted infant who was born with a sunken chest. I couldn't help but look at his baby photo and his age progression photo and think "that could be Denim". Same nose anyway. MOO.

He would be 36 this year:
53611-331a8d744dabf68b6df3a30a728ea03d.jpg
upload_2019-5-21_18-50-4-jpeg.185415

AR - AR - Matthew Crocker, 3 mos, Van Buren, 9 June 1983
If he was stolen and raised by someone they might not report him as missing.

Ok, Ok, I know it's highly unlikely this is him. I just want this case solved! I'm grasping at every straw I find. :oops::(

MOO.

I wish you guys would rule out Travis Butler for me. The only rule on on him for me is that he wasn’t missing until the summer that Denim showed up on the trail. But no one has proven he started the trail in April as he said. The age, height, hair and eye color match. The only picture of Travis is super freaking old but it looks a bit like the pic that someone did of MH with no facial hair to me.

Not much on Travis..No mention of family, town he was from etc. No one has even given an updated photo to go with his profile

I am not LE so I cannot officially rule anyone out, but, I do not think Denim is Travis Butler. Travis' hairline looks higher than Denims. That could be fixed with hair plugs but I think that would marks that would be detectable postmortem. LE hasn't made mention of scars or marks on the scalp so personally, I would rule Travis out. All IMO of course.

I can't rule Travis out, but I can't see it, either.

The picture of Travis is so bad it's almost impossible to compare with Denim, but I don't see much resemblance. Since his car was found in the Grand Canyon area, it's most likely he met with an untimely end in the same area where he went missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆