FL - months old baby died after being left in van for 5 hours at daycare

MicheleT

Reaction score
I wonder if the baby was one of the children they picked up. Why else would a newborn be in a daycare van at 8:00am?

“The day care typically transports some children to its facility, he said.”

Typically daycares transport kids to school from its facility in the mornings, and then pick them up from school and take them back to daycare at the end of the day. Maybe the newborn had been dropped off at 7, and there was nobody in the building to watch her when they took other kids to school so they took her with them?

Infant girl dies after being left in sweltering van outside Florida daycare in blazing 87F heat | Daily Mail Online

• Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) shared that the daycare 'did not notify DCF that they were transporting children
  • DCF stated that it would not issue an emergency suspension order to cease operations of the daycare facility, which has been licensed since 2016
Jacksonville daycare co-owner arrested in death of 4-month-old left in van

Child care center employees were interviewed on scene, and investigators learned that the baby girl as well as other children had been picked up at their homes earlier this morning. Ewing was the child care van driver, and had driven to the center with a van full of children about 8:25 a.m., police said. The children were taken into the center, and Ewing parked the van in front of the daycare and left with the baby girl still strapped in her car seat in the van's third row, police said.

Whaaaaaaaaaat??? These people are allowed to OWN a daycare????

Ewing has three prior arrests for driving with a suspended license, according to jail records. And jail records also show his wife and co-owner of the child care, Gloryian Ewing, was arrested in December 2017 on two counts of child abuse.

I.can't.even.

Infant girl dies after being left in sweltering van outside Florida daycare in blazing 87F heat | Daily Mail Online

• Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) shared that the daycare 'did not notify DCF that they were transporting children
  • DCF stated that it would not issue an emergency suspension order to cease operations of the daycare facility, which has been licensed since 2016

Child care center employees were interviewed on scene, and investigators learned that the baby girl as well as other children had been picked up at their homes earlier this morning. Ewing was the child care van driver, and had driven to the center with a van full of children about 8:25 a.m., police said. The children were taken into the center, and Ewing parked the van in front of the daycare and left with the baby girl still strapped in her car seat in the van's third row, police said.

Ewing has three prior arrests for driving with a suspended license, according to jail records. And jail records also show his wife and co-owner of the child care, Gloryian Ewing, was arrested in December 2017 on two counts of child abuse.

I.can't.even.
ABCNews reported it this way according to the link above so I’d take DMs post with a grain of salt.

“The Department of Children and Families in Duvall County has begun the process of issuing an emergency suspension order to cease operations at the facility, the agency said in a statement. The facility has been licensed with DCF since 2016.“

Day care co-owner charged in baby's death jailed, ordered not to have contact with kids

DCF ordered an emergency suspension of the center's license because it was not aware the business was transporting children, which requires extra scrutiny to ensure it is meeting state standards.

The center cares for around 14 children, and no others were injured, police said. DCF said all the parents were notified the center's license was being suspended.

News4Jax meteorologists estimated that the temperature inside an enclosed vehicle parked in the sun at midday Wednesday could have reached 123 degrees.

I.can't.even.

The other owner of the business, Gloryian Ewing was arrested 18 months ago on two counts of child abuse. While those charges involved her own teenage children -- police said they were beaten with an extension cord -- she was arrested at the day care center in December 2017

bbm

I.can't.even.
How were these people allowed to have a day care?

How were these people allowed to have a day care?

That is scary.

Sometimes, when I read about things that happen at a daycare, I feel personal responsibility. About 25 years ago, I was working on the "Welfare to Work" program, and the goal was to get everyone off welfare and working. The problem was that the clients were not on board with this plan. Usually the easiest jobs to get these folks were daycare workers and CNA jobs, whether they were suitable for those jobs or not.... glad I no longer do that work. But it is still pretty much the plan.

Heartbreaking... when is this going to Stop!!!

Mother of infant who died in day care van asks for community's help

view

What a beautiful little baby. RIP Sweetie.

That is scary.

Sometimes, when I read about things that happen at a daycare, I feel personal responsibility. About 25 years ago, I was working on the "Welfare to Work" program, and the goal was to get everyone off welfare and working. The problem was that the clients were not on board with this plan. Usually the easiest jobs to get these folks were daycare workers and CNA jobs, whether they were suitable for those jobs or not.... glad I no longer do that work. But it is still pretty much the plan.

I agree with you. Welfare to Work jobs were not for the people they were trying to get off the program. The horrors I saw from people forced to participate in CNA training and work were despicable! So many would miss or fail testing just so they could keep their benefits but fail out of the program and the abuse inflicted on the ill and elderly in nursing homes were awful.
JMO based on my experience with training and managing them.

Baby who died in day care van honored at vigil

Two days after 4-month-old Brooklyn died when she was left strapped in a car safety seat inside a van parked in the sun for 4½ hours, the baby's mother and others gathered at the Westside day care center where it happened.

photo-of-brooklyn_1558739717365_21895686_ver1.0.jpg
There was a somber tone early Friday evening as family and friends arrived about 6 p.m. Friday for a candlelight vigil to honor Brooklyn

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back