CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Thanks it was more of a rhetorical question. Rudin was all over the place. Basically what I got is he had an opinion, then changed it, then decided he had no opinion and needed further testing. Good grief.
Sounded like the DT was frustrated because they couldn't pin him down. Rudin threw a monkey wrench in the whole process. He's calling both sides, sending them letters about his new calculations, refused to meet with the DT without Imes being present and they storm out. Then the DT served him with a subpoena which scared his wife. When he finally testifies he says he needs to do further calculations as does Liscio. I think it was Missy that said he was in search of the truth. I believe that, too.
If this wasn't such a tragedy, it would be comical.

I did pick up on Maline complaining about the PT tittering, snickering, rolling their eyes in front of the jury. And there were a few times I saw that. He actually chastised the judge for never looking up to observe the antics in the court room.

MOO.

Because he's not on trial, he has always had an alibi, CM SAID he only knew of DK always being in Hawaii, and if I was being sucked into a murder trial as a POI after I had been cleared by LE, I wouldn't testify either.
DK doesn't need to explain forged checks, pings in Fallbrook or the high desert, money he owed Joey, which story is correct for February 4th, which story is correct about feeding the dogs, etc., etc.

Dear Bernina, you did realize I was being sarcastic, no? :)

Sounded like the DT was frustrated because they couldn't pin him down. Rudin threw a monkey wrench in the whole process. He's calling both sides, sending them letters about his new calculations, refused to meet with the DT without Imes being present and they storm out. Then the DT served him with a subpoena which scared his wife. When he finally testifies he says he needs to do further calculations as does Liscio. I think it was Missy that said he was in search of the truth. I believe that, too.

I did pick up on Maline complaining about the PT tittering, snickering, rolling their eyes in front of the jury. And there were a few times I saw that. He actually chastised the judge for never looking up to observe the antics in the court room.

MOO.

When he called Imes a Liar, I wonder if he was (in full or part) referring to Imes telling the court McGee had been out partying and drinking? He sure was p.o.'ed.

But do you think they would leave a typo on an incorrect legal document without rectifying it if it wasn't correct?
It specifically states AKA and that is also known as:
Plaintiff vs.Charles Ray Merritt ,aka Charles Ray Mandel,aka Charles Ray Morritt,aka Chase Meredith Defendant

Karinna, I was thinking that yes, it would be left in a legal document if it were listed that way in some other document -"covering the bases". In other words, if his name is misspelled in another document or venue, the legal document is trying to include those spellings. Sorry if this is clear as mud.

Yes i agree it may not necessarily have been his truck that night. And also if he drove the Trooper to the border and dumped it there, was there another vehicle with someone helping him close by to pick him up? Or how did he get home afterwards? And by someone helping him i don't mean DK, but someone who was close to him.
It's not a stretch to think Merritt may have gambling buddies in the area. He wouldn't have to tell the truth about needing help moving a vehicle.

This has to be tongue in cheek sarcasm! Lol! Good one, FB.

Because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me that anyone would want DK to take the stand instead of the cold blooded murderer himself.

However CM is not going to take the stand. Sigh. How I wish he would.

As far as DK, who is not on trial, I imagine he's in HI enjoying the surf like he enjoys doing, and living life to the fullest like everyone else tries to do.

Jmo

Ocean, it just seems to me that there's so much drum-beating here on "missing DK", etc. Would that there were the same interest in having the defendant take the stand.

Lol. Thanks it was more of a rhetorical question. Rudin was all over the place. Basically what I got is he had an opinion, then changed it, then decided he had no opinion and needed further testing. Good grief.

I listened to the testimony, I wasn't confused at all. He had an opinion before Feb 5th. He came and gave testimony in the 402 hearing and gave his opinion, which was he could not accept or reject Merritt's truck. After the 5th, he did more calculations because he found a file that was mis-labelled (it was the FARO scan of the neighborhood) On Feb 15th, IIRC, he informed Imes that his opinion had changed and at some point requested that they do a live reprojection since they had the truck and the camera was still on the Mitchley house, he was denied that request (there was stuff mentioned in a hearing that we did not get to hear on Monday I believe) At some point, after Liscio testified, he contacted the defense to request or tell them to do the live reprojection. (I still do not know if the defense could actually do this). It sounds like he didn't really want to give the defense all of his findings (Rudin says McGee was very angry at him haha), and they ended up subpoenaing him. The link I provided clearly states what his opinion is and it's not that he has no opinion, it's that with the available data he would reject Merritt's truck but he is open to being over ruled if they (anyone he says, him, Liscio ,the FBI) will do the "crown jewel" of tests and do a live reprojection, although he doesn't see how it's possible to be the truck, it would be more definitive.

Imes did try to confuse the jury though, which Rudin called him out on it and McGee cleared it up on re-direct. Rudin had sent an email at 3am, McGee didn't even discuss the exhibits with Rudin before he testified yesterday (which I thought was pretty brave of McGee LOL) Then further confusion ... IMO.. with a tweet yesterday that had the wrong info with what they were showing on the screen. :confused:

The video I linked is only a few minutes long, anyone that wants to hear what his bottom line is, it's there and you don't have to listen to all of the testimony.

It's not a stretch to think Merritt may have gambling buddies in the area. He wouldn't have to tell the truth about needing help moving a vehicle.

The park and ride on I15 is easy walking distance from their home. I’ve had several car-juggling ideas that revolves around that. Like—he leaves the Isuzu at the park and ride as staging. Later decides to stage their departure to Mexico. Drives the Isuzu down to the border, and takes Uber/Lyft/cab back to the park and ride to pick up his truck.

Or—this would be a wacky coincidence—leaves the Isuzu in the park and ride with the keys in it—and someone steals it a couple of days later.

When he called Imes a Liar, I wonder if he was (in full or part) referring to Imes telling the court McGee had been out partying and drinking? He sure was p.o.'ed.

I thought the same!!! Does anyone know if there is a site to look up the lawyers and complaints? I will be interested after this trial if there are complaints filed and for what, who, and who filed against them.

It does sound like there will be a hearing in regards to what Imes knew and when, and what he received. From what little we heard, it sounds like Imes said he didn't get a text or something, but it sounds like this text was pretty important info LOL The judge got a copy of everything Rudin in regards to communication with the Sheriff's Dept and the prosecution.

The problem I have with Rudin is that he cannot see the running lights of the truck in the Mitchley video. They are definitely visible. It just boggles my mind. And since he didn't include any "data points" for those lights how can his computations be correct???

Ocean, it just seems to me that there's so much drum-beating here on "missing DK", etc. Would that there were the same interest in having the defendant take the stand.

Well, legally, there can’t be. I think the prosecution would create a mistrial if they as much as hinted in front of the jury that they’d like CM to take the stand and explain a few things.

I listened to the testimony, I wasn't confused at all. He had an opinion before Feb 5th. He came and gave testimony in the 402 hearing and gave his opinion, which was he could not accept or reject Merritt's truck. After the 5th, he did more calculations because he found a file that was mis-labelled (it was the FARO scan of the neighborhood) On Feb 15th, IIRC, he informed Imes that his opinion had changed and at some point requested that they do a live reprojection since they had the truck and the camera was still on the Mitchley house, he was denied that request (there was stuff mentioned in a hearing that we did not get to hear on Monday I believe) At some point, after Liscio testified, he contacted the defense to request or tell them to do the live reprojection. (I still do not know if the defense could actually do this). It sounds like he didn't really want to give the defense all of his findings (Rudin says McGee was very angry at him haha), and they ended up subpoenaing him. The link I provided clearly states what his opinion is and it's not that he has no opinion, it's that with the available data he would reject Merritt's truck but he is open to being over ruled if they (anyone he says, him, Liscio ,the FBI) will do the "crown jewel" of tests and do a live reprojection, although he doesn't see how it's possible to be the truck, it would be more definitive.

Imes did try to confuse the jury though, which Rudin called him out on it and McGee cleared it up on re-direct. Rudin had sent an email at 3am, McGee didn't even discuss the exhibits with Rudin before he testified yesterday (which I thought was pretty brave of McGee LOL) Then further confusion ... IMO.. with a tweet yesterday that had the wrong info with what they were showing on the screen. :confused:

The video I linked is only a few minutes long, anyone that wants to hear what his bottom line is, it's there and you don't have to listen to all of the testimony.

Thanks. I heard it already. He wants to do further testing.

This would explain McGee's level of frustration; email at 3 am, tweet with wrong info, not having time to review the exhibits in advance.
Why do you think Rudin wouldn't give the DT all his findings?

MOO.

The meeting with Rudin and Imes not leaving was back in Feb during the 402 hearing. It was mentioned back then as well.

I do think that Rudin really doesn't care about the results, whether it was Merritt's truck or not, he just wants to find the "answer". I imagine it can't be easy to be a math genius LOL it reminds me of that movie A Beautiful Mind.

And yes, Maline complained about the prosecution... and it made me think... most trials that I have watched, the people in the gallery are usually told to not react, lawyers don't usually have to be told, yet in this trial, we have continually seen it with the prosecution and it should have been stopped on Day 1 IMO. I am usually a big cheerleader for the prosecution, but I just can't in this case. JMO I have been watching some trials on L&C lately... there is such a HUGE difference, and the one they are showing now is in San Diego County, they actually hold a full day of court, the judge actually has control of the court room, it's a complete opposite of what we have watched for the last few months. All JMO

I thought the same!!! Does anyone know if there is a site to look up the lawyers and complaints? I will be interested after this trial if there are complaints filed and for what, who, and who filed against them.

It does sound like there will be a hearing in regards to what Imes knew and when, and what he received. From what little we heard, it sounds like Imes said he didn't get a text or something, but it sounds like this text was pretty important info LOL The judge got a copy of everything Rudin in regards to communication with the Sheriff's Dept and the prosecution.
BBM The Judge was very clear yesterday in denying the defense motions though on this text. The Prosecution had already informed the defense of Rudin's changes, etc. so the text was not new or suppressed information.

From what I could understand, exhibit O was a text Rudin sent to Imes, which Imes apparently received but didn't read (Daugherty was the one talking about it). If there is a hearing, I hope we at least get audio of it (unlike the hearing the day before yesterday which would shed some light on this whole situation).

The problem I have with Rudin is that he cannot see the running lights of the truck in the Mitchley video. They are definitely visible. It just boggles my mind. And since he didn't include any "data points" for those lights how can his computations be correct???

This is the problem. You say you can see them, I say I can't, and there are others that agree with both of us. It's like Rudin said... you say it's raining, I say it's sunny..... if you can open the door and look, open it!

I would be curious to see what you think is the running lights if you are able to show me lol I see a reflection of the lights on the bumper, is that what you are saying is the running lights?

Reactions: TRB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members