GUILTY SC - Five Jones children, ages 1-8, Lexington County, 28 Aug 2014 *Father Arrested*

Psychiatrist still on the stand:

Caroline Hecker (@CHecker_WIS) on Twitter
"This is a real psychotic illness he has, this is not caused by drugs," psychiatrist testifies during the Jones trial

Tim Scott (@TimScottTV) on Twitter
Dr. Agharkar says Jones told him that he started using spice three months before the murders, telling him that it quieted the "voices in his head." He also believes his condition was not caused by drugs.

Dr. Argharkar says Jones only had an IQ of 89, which he says is "very low" for someone of his intelligence. He also says Jones was afraid to talk about his psychological issues to others since he was afraid he'd "end up like his mother."

Dr. Argharkar said Jones started turning to smoking marijuana around the age of 12, and ultimately started doing cocaine at 19. He served time back in 2001 for cocaine possession.

Dr. Agharkar says based on the imaging and all the tests he did, he has no reason to believe that Jones is faking this condition.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CHecker_WIS
Deputy Solicitor Suzanne Mayes asks Dr. Agharkar if he is offering an opinion as to Jones' mental state at the time of the killings, to which he responds, "no." He is only offering his opinion of his mental state after he was arrested

Deputy Solicitor Mayes is highlighting the numerous lies Jones told law enforcement about what happened to the children; offering the thought to the jury that Jones may not have been truthful about the voices and hallucinations when he met with the doctor.

Deputy Solicitor Mayes is highlighting the numerous lies Jones told law enforcement about what happened to the children; offering the thought to the jury that Jones may not have been truthful about the voices and hallucinations when he met with the doctor

Here's a look inside the courtroom thus far this morning, as a psychiatrist testifies on behalf of the state, telling the jury its his opinion Jones has schizophrenia and brain damage.

F61103D2-9628-498D-94C5-590D1C41235C.jpeg

Courtney King (@CourtReportKing) on Twitter
The back and forth between Deputy Solicitor Suzanne Mays and Dr. Agharkar has been pretty tense, Mays is drilling the witness on prescription drugs #TimothyJonestook but he is not caving

Here is #TimothyJones waving to his father, grandmother, and other relatives today in court (see above pic)

Jury is sent out on its lunch break. Court will be back in session at 1:30.

Up next on the stand: Eric Brenton Sadreameli Before he has a chance to testify, Judge Griffith sends the jury out of the room for a quick break.

Mays wraps up her questioning by raising issues about Dr. Agharkar relying on testimony from a babysitter who was also Jones's girlfriend at the time, who said she heard Jones talking to himself and thought that was weird.

Dr. Agharkar says academic testing is not an accurate indicator of brain function. He keeps reiterating that his assessment of Jones was after the murders, not at the time.

Mays brings up Jones's job performance at Intel (where he "exceeded expectations" and received a promotion) and his academic test scores in Illinois (where he scored above average in his school and district) as reasons his cognitive function wasn't affected by a brain injury.

Dr. Agharkar says he's never seen a patient take 160mg of Geodon, a drug that can treat schizophrenia. Even with that high dosage, Dr. Agharkar said Jones could carry a conversation, but there was some thought disorganization.

I see that Spelly is posting the tweets, which is good for me as I am very behind on my Spring cleaning because I was very sick before this trial started. I have 2 other trials that I'm tweeting - one that just is recessed and will be continued in June.

I'll pop in when I can.

Carry on...:)

I see that Spelly is posting the tweets, which is good for me as I am very behind on my Spring cleaning because I was very sick before this trial started. I have 2 other trials that I'm tweeting - one that just is recessed and will be continued in June.

I'll pop in when I can.

Carry on...:)

I will try to do better ... I was "hit and miss" so far :oops:

The jury's back in the courtroom with Eric Brenton Sadreameli on the stand. Defense bringing up a bunch of books to the stand, most of which are related to the religion. [also notebooks]

Sadreameli works for the South Carolina Commission on Indigent Defense. He was tasked with gathering materials (books, pouches of Scooby Snax) from Jones's house.

[one picture/note says "dear mommy, come back so we can be happy"] (paraphrased by me)

New witness, Micah Sutton, lives near Toledo, Ohio, pastor of a church. Was previously part of the Pentecostal Church, is nondenominational now. He picked Tim up when released from prison (after getting a call from him) , and Tim attended the church he was at during that time. He had performed the wedding for Tim and Amber . Amber had not been a member of the church then.

Says Tim struggled to separate what he was taught with how to apply it to the real world, though seemed to have complete sincerity. It often cussed trouble even in the conduct of the church by being insultive, upsetting others. He seemed dedicated to trying to apply The Word on every level.... his ability to remember things was extraordinary, but not always apply to apply what he learned to practical life

Tim left that church because he was not allowed to have a leadership role. Capacity to help others move forward was "limited to none."

Another reason he left the church: Tim felt pastor's wife was trying to seduce him by her clothing, words, actions. He and pastor talked about this, it was outside of her nature according to the pastor.

Sutton says Jones was always asking questions and looking to learn more about the faith. He says Jones even called him at 2:30 in the morning to ask him a question about scripture.

Sutton believes Jones's devotion to Christianity was authentic, but very intense. He says Jones sometimes interpreted things very literally, and he struggled how to apply how he was learning into the practical world

Sutton says he used to joke with his wife that he had a "church with 25 people and only one person (Jones) who could make everyone upset" since he says Jones took the word too literally

Sutton says Jones was always asking questions and looking to learn more about the faith. He says Jones even called him at 2:30 in the morning to ask him a question about scripture

He [Tim] served time for cocaine possession back in 2001.

After Tim left the church, the pastor never heard or spoke with him again until this morning. He saw the "calm Tim" he witnessed many years ago.

Micah Sutton, a pastor from Ohio, takes the stand next for the defense

Pastor Sutton performed #TimothyJones and Amber’s wedding.

Pastor Sutton says #timothyjones came to him and accused Sutton’s wife of trying to seduce him

Sutton says Jones had two sides: a calm, listening, open side, and then a side where it "was difficult to have any communication with him

New witness, April Hames worked in Marriage & Family therapy. Tim came (alone) to her for marriage therapy, he said Amber was caring for the kids at home and could not drive herself to therapy. She suggested conference calls, and he said Amber was not interested. They worked on making him the vest man they could under the circumstances.

He discussed his spiritual beliefs, very literal interpretations and adherence to scripture. "Conservative and old-fashioned". He came during lunchtime. He requested she not wear high heels during their sessions. he expressed several problem issues he had.

Discussed his mother, she realized he had bigger problems than just a marital issue. Had she believed he might be schizophrenic she would have referred him to someone who could deal with that, as she did not feel qualified. He talked about "that monster" ... fear, abandonment, jealousy, inferiority. Called himself s mama's boy but felt he was not close to her. Had issues with infidelity with a former girlfriend. Allegedly he saw his stepmom being unfaithful, had a fear that his own wife would be unfaithful. Felt the beginning relationship with Amber was "just magical".

Jones said part of that "monster" was watching infidelity happen right in front of his eyes growing up, and he was afraid that "the monster wanted control" and he wanted to know more while he was at work; if there was a deficit in information, "the monster would come out.

He said Amber told him she could not be near him when the monster comes out. They talked about this monster as being like his wounded child self. They talked about the monster's voices that talked to him ... and redirecting the monster inner child with the adult voice shutting that down to allow the adult voice in.

His worst fear was Amber would get a job and be with the man he suspected she had an affair with and she would leave him.

Returned from trip to see family in Mississippi and found a neighbor in his home with Amber. He started drinking and smoking (cigarettes) heavily after that.

She felt his suspicions about his wife were accurate. On June 21, his primary goal was safety of kids and keeping then away from the situation.

She wrote a letter to a doctor June 21 (Dr. Leslie West) with concerns ... troubling childhood issues that continued to impact his adult life. Occupational and social issues.

After a brief cross-examination, Sutton steps down from the stand. April Hames, a marriage therapist who had meetings with Jones, takes the stand.

Hames said Jones requested she not wear heels to their lunchtime meetings, and he put down a laundry list of issues (claiming he had "baggage" from his childhood) that were troubling his marriage

When their therapy sessions began, Hames remembers Jones being "very tearful", calling himself a "mama's boy", and saying that he had a "monster inside him that's finally come out

Jones said part of that "monster" was watching infidelity happen right in front of his eyes growing up, and he was afraid that "the monster wanted control" and he wanted to know more while he was at work; if there was a deficit in information, "the monster would come out

Jones told Hames one of his fears was that Amber would get a job, fall in love with the man he suspected she was having an affair with, and then leave him

When talking with Hames, Jones said "drinking to drown your problems doesn't make them drown, It makes them float."

April Hames is on the stand now. She was #TimothyJones therapist in 2012

Continuing with therapist, April Hames:

September 2012: he was concerned how kids were doing I s hook, frustrated with Amber and what she was doing with home schooling they were behind and she had mot followed through ... "he wanted to strangle her". She had a legal duty to report, but he had no detailed plan and did not feel there were homicidal ideations and it was a figure of speech.

Over all the visits he often discussed what he called his "mommy issues". He said Amber made promises of what she would do if he let her back in their lives.

He said, Spanking and corporal punishment was _____ for their bodies

In December the talked about bringing the kids to therapy. (With another therapist) He seemed excited. They did come in. They saw Kim Vender (sp?)

He became conflicted with whether to find a new mommy for the kids or leave it alone

Hames testifies Jones once said “I want to strangle her” meaning his ex-wife, Amber. However, Hames asked several follows up and found it to be a figure of speech and not a threat

Caroline Hecker (@CHecker_WIS) on Twitter
April Hames, who worked as Jones' family counselor, testifies during one visit, he "wanted to strangle" his then wife Amber, after learning she was behind in helping their kids with school work over the summer

[I have to take a break]

Therapist Hames says she never saw signs of delusions, hallucinations and he never mentioned these. She would have transferred him to someone who could also prescribe medications. She did not see disorganized speech, but some disorganized thoughts appropriate with the situation.

Diminished emotional expression (flat) - he did not exhibit
Abolition (decreased motivated self) - no indications

Asked her to do a report supporting his custody for an emergency hearing (she only knew what he would tell her). She did. She read the letter/report in court. [quite flattering of the father; stated the mother, according to him, did not want to take part in therapy. ]

4:30: There is a 30 minute video to be seen next, but judge has to review it first. Sending jury home now

April Hames, the marriage therapist who Jones met with from time to time, is still on the stand, fielding questions from Deputy Solicitor Shawn Graham

Hames talking about what happened at the end of the Jones' marriage. Amber told Tim she wanted to get back together, but Tim "called her bluff and told her to pack her bags"

On trial for allegedly killing his 5 kids, defense portrays Timothy Jones as guilt-ridden

Defense lawyers, who are trying to save Timothy Ray Jones Jr. from execution, put on a witness Wednesday whose testimony portrayed Jones as not only mentally unhinged when he killed his five children but wracked with guilt and remorse.

If jurors sitting on Jones’s death penalty trial believe that he was mentally ill and feels remorse, they will be more likely to give him a life without parole sentence or confinement in a mental institution instead of the death penalty, defense lawyers believe.

That witness was Lexington County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Adam Creech, who told jurors that he was with FBI agent David Mackey in September 2014 when they wrangled a confession out of Jones that he killed his five children, ages 1-8, and got him to lead them to his children’s bodies in an Alabama woods.

Creech, who would normally be a prosecution witness but was testifying under compulsion of a defense subpoena, answered a host of questions from Jones’ attorney, Rob Madsen. Madsen played a tape that Creech had made of an interview with Jones on Sept. 9, 2014, minutes after Jones had led officers to his five children’s bodies in a forest in Alabama.

At the time, Jones and Creech were in the back of a police car, headed back to Smith County, Mississippi, where Jones had been arrested several days earlier. It was the first time this tape had been played to the jury.

(More at link)

If the jury were to find Jones “guilty” or “guilty but mentally ill,” the trial would move into a second phase where jurors would decide whether Jones should get life in prison or be executed.

If jurors found Jones “not guilty by reason of insanity,” he would be confined to a secure unit in the state mental hospital in Columbia for a long but uncertain amount of time.

I was thinking , since he looked up kids and outlets just like he looked up schizophrenia and its behaviors, that he planned and subsequently used that outlet story ( I even think it was made up entirely) as "reason to explain to the world why that boy needed punishment/killing".

I think the outlet story may be true. My child did that and I certainly googled it! But he would have found that him killing himself that way was almost impossible. Outlet's in homes are designed specifically to avoid that.

He looks up schizophrenia and it's behaviors months before the murders.... if he'd looked them up later I might think it was connected. If he'd looked up resources or something. Ugh. I wish he had just gotten help and dropped the kids somewhere alive.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back