Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

MAY 21, 2019
Jake Patterson awaits sentence for kidnapping Jayme Closs, killing her parents, as Barron awaits 'normalcy'
[...]

Patterson will be sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in March to the Oct. 15 murders and kidnapping, bringing seven months of searches, hope and relief to a close. His sentence will hinge in part on the testimony of Jayme's family, who are expected to share the impact Patterson's actions had on them.

The hearing is also the last opportunity for Patterson or his attorneys to shine light on his motivations in court — something that's remained a mystery since his arrest.

[...]

Patterson's sentencing signals the end of a long journey — one the community is ready to leave behind.

Diane Tremblay, superintendent of the Barron public schools where Jayme is a middle-schooler, put it this way in an email to USA TODAY Network-Wisconsin: "This high-profile sentencing event will bring a true finality to yet another dramatic reminder of this crime that brought tragedy to the family and this community."

[...]

MAY 21, 2019
Jake Patterson awaits sentence for kidnapping Jayme Closs, killing her parents, as Barron awaits 'normalcy'
[...]

Patterson will be sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in March to the Oct. 15 murders and kidnapping, bringing seven months of searches, hope and relief to a close. His sentence will hinge in part on the testimony of Jayme's family, who are expected to share the impact Patterson's actions had on them.

The hearing is also the last opportunity for Patterson or his attorneys to shine light on his motivations in court — something that's remained a mystery since his arrest.

[...]

Patterson's sentencing signals the end of a long journey — one the community is ready to leave behind.

Diane Tremblay, superintendent of the Barron public schools where Jayme is a middle-schooler, put it this way in an email to USA TODAY Network-Wisconsin: "This high-profile sentencing event will bring a true finality to yet another dramatic reminder of this crime that brought tragedy to the family and this community."

[...]
This part’ll be interesting:
“Once Patterson is sentenced, the Department of Corrections will determine in which state prison he'll spend the rest of his life.”

It is nice to see one case where I think most of us have little doubt as to his sentence being life, it remains to be seen of course, but with the charges, the confession and the guilty plea, it is what I expect at minimum, if not consecutive life sentences.

Then Jayme and family can be given what I think they want, for her to be left alone to heal from his evil acts.

And he can be forgotten.

This part’ll be interesting:
“Once Patterson is sentenced, the Department of Corrections will determine in which state prison he'll spend the rest of his life.”
Type 7734 into your calculator, then turn it upside down and you’ll read the name of the prison I’d like him to go straight to.

Sentencing brings end to Barron’s tragedy
Heightened security is expected and another media blitz is in store for the community of Barron as a court hearing is set for Friday afternoon, May 24, for 21-year-old Jake Patterson, who will be sentenced in connection with the October 2018 murders of James and Denise Closs, rural Barron, and the kidnapping of their daughter, Jayme.

[...]

As many as 200 print and broadcast journalists, video crews and technical staff have been present at each of three prior hearings held in Barron since Patterson’s arrest. At least as many are expected, once again, for Friday’s sentencing hearing.

[...]

Circuit Court Judge James C. Babler, who will sentence Patterson at 1:30 in Friday, issued an administrative order on May 10 which once again sets forth ground rules for media coverage, designates seating for families of the victim and defendant and warns visitors about security checks and weapons screenings.

Media access to the courtroom will be cut in half, with only eight seats available compared to 16 during previous hearings.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald issued an email Monday, May 20, indicating a lottery will take place for media who desire access to the sentencing hearing. Journalists’ business cards will be placed in a drum, and eight names will be drawn to determine who can watch the proceedings in person.

[...]

Fitzgerald said he and Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright will hold a press conference about half an hour after the court hearing ends. Once again, officials plan to speak to the press at a podium outside the Justice Center, as was the case during the early days of the investigation into Jayme Closs’ abduction.

[...]

It is nice to see one case where I think most of us have little doubt as to his sentence being life, it remains to be seen of course, but with the charges, the confession and the guilty plea, it is what I expect at minimum, if not consecutive life sentences.

Then Jayme and family can be given what I think they want, for her to be left alone to heal from his evil acts.

And he can be forgotten.
I would hope he gets consecutive life sentences. He murdered two innocent adults for his own selfish lustful reasons. What he did to Jayme makes him deserve something brutal. I will leave it at that. He acts entitled.

@Ragnarok, I understand your mixed feelings, however...

give or take, she is an orphan. And life is long; she wants to graduate, eventually, go to college, date, have a wedding. All of it costs money. There will be no parents to help her financially at that point, she is on her own. :(

Horrible as it may sound, whatever money she can make for her future plans, she can make only now. As you have said, after sentencing, her story will drop off media attention.

Here is how I would look at it. It is a complicated situation, but I see no push to donate to her cause. If people who are moved by her story want to help her, there is nothing wrong with this, either.

It will take her years in therapy to sort things out. And maybe not as much now as when she grows up.
Perfect reply.

@Ragnarok, I understand your mixed feelings, however...

give or take, she is an orphan. And life is long; she wants to graduate, eventually, go to college, date, have a wedding. All of it costs money. There will be no parents to help her financially at that point, she is on her own. :(

Horrible as it may sound, whatever money she can make for her future plans, she can make only now. As you have said, after sentencing, her story will drop off media attention.

Here is how I would look at it. It is a complicated situation, but I see no push to donate to her cause. If people who are moved by her story want to help her, there is nothing wrong with this, either.

It will take her years in therapy to sort things out. And maybe not as much now as when she grows up.
As I said in my original post I do not begrudge JC any monies she receives. My mixed feelings are towards the mixed signals from the family. They want privacy for JC which I agree with yet they are raising money for her which I also agree with.

If I had to tip the scale one way or the other I would go with privacy. She is a 13 YO child. I'm skewed some what due to my third Grandchild is a 13 YO girl in some of the same activities JC was. I would want and encourage my Grandchild's parents to provide privacy and allow her to grow up as a child as much as possible.

I'm the first to tell anyone that there is never enough money but balance that with what you like to do. At some point in the future, adulthood preferably, she will get a book deal. Even Jaycee Dugard who received twenty million dollars from the state for their failures wrote a book.

JC has a loving family and I am optimistic she will do well despite the memories. Her recent public appearance at the State House for an award was encouraging. Another reason I am optimistic for JC is that when the opportunity presented itself, despite the grief she would experience if caught, she seized the moment and escaped.

An adage I learned long ago is that you may not have control of who or what puts you down, it is your choice to stay down. Kudos to you JC. You have a story of inspiration to tell and I hope some day you do.

As I said in my original post I do not begrudge JC any monies she receives. My mixed feelings are towards the mixed signals from the family. They want privacy for JC which I agree with yet they are raising money for her which I also agree with.

If I had to tip the scale one way or the other I would go with privacy. She is a 13 YO child. I'm skewed some what due to my third Grandchild is a 13 YO girl in some of the same activities JC was. I would want and encourage my Grandchild's parents to provide privacy and allow her to grow up as a child as much as possible.

I'm the first to tell anyone that there is never enough money but balance that with what you like to do. At some point in the future, adulthood preferably, she will get a book deal. Even Jaycee Dugard who received twenty million dollars from the state for their failures wrote a book.

JC has a loving family and I am optimistic she will do well despite the memories. Her recent public appearance at the State House for an award was encouraging. Another reason I am optimistic for JC is that when the opportunity presented itself, despite the grief she would experience if caught, she seized the moment and escaped.

An adage I learned long ago is that you may not have control of who or what puts you down, it is your choice to stay down. Kudos to you JC. You have a story of inspiration to tell and I hope some day you do.
I completely understand what you are saying.

Friday, May 24th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) - WI – Jayme L. Closs (13) (missing Oct. 15, 2018, Barron, found alive Jan. 10, 2019, 70 miles away in Gordon), killed James Closs (56) & Denise Closs (46) her parents - *Jake (Jacob) Thomas Patterson (21) arrested & charged (1/10/19) & arraigned (3/27/19) with 2 count of 1st degree intentional homicide, 1 count of kidnapping & 1 count of armed burglary. $5M Cash Bond.
After being read his rights he confessed to killing parents & kidnapping Jayme.
First appearance scheduled for Monday, 1/14. 1/14/19: Public Defender appointed. Bond set at $5M cash. No plea entered. Next Preliminary hearing on 2/6.
2/6/19 Update: Waives right to preliminary hearing. Arraignment on 3/27/19.
3/27/19 Update: Plea agreement. Patterson plead guilty to counts 1 (1st degree murder), 2 (1st degree murder), & 3 (kidnapping). Count 4 (burglary) will be dismissed. The state will not file charges for crimes committed in Douglas County. Sentencing scheduled for Friday, May 24. Bond revoked. Pre-sentencing investigation ordered. Judge Babler said there could be two life sentences consecutively for murdering her parents plus 40 years for kidnapping.

Found it!

Future court activity

Date Time Location Description Type Court official
05-24-2019

01:30 pm

JCB

Check Monitor & Posted Calendar for Courtroom

Sentencing hearing Court Babler, James C.

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access
Bumping up court access link...

It’s Justice for Jayme day!

Hoping for max sentence, consecutive, without supermax isolation.

Jake Patterson: Jayme Closs' kidnapper will be sentenced today - CNN
Jayme Closs' relatives spent three months agonizing over the Wisconsin teenager's whereabouts before she escaped from the man who'd gunned down her parents and imprisoned her in a remote cabin.

[...]

Her relatives will face Patterson in court Friday, where a sentencing hearing is expected to start at 1:30 p.m. CT (2:30 p.m. ET) and last several hours.

Several Closs family members are expected to give statements, talking about how Patterson's crimes affected them, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said.

Each intentional homicide count carries a sentence of up to life in prison; kidnapping carries a term of up to 40 years.

[...]

Jayme Closs kidnapper to be sentenced
[...]

The sentencing is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. before Barron County Circuit Judge James Babler. Members of Jayme's family are expected to deliver victim-impact statements, and Patterson himself may address the court.

The only real issue at stake, however, is whether Patterson will ever see an opportunity for parole. Wisconsin law mandates a life sentence for each of the homicide convictions, but the judge has discretion in determining whether the defendant will have any right to seek future release from prison.

At a minimum, Patterson would eligible for parole after serving 20 years in prison. On the maximum end, the judge may impose two consecutive life terms, followed by an additional 40 years in prison.

[...]

Patterson did not cooperate with a presentence investigation report, which was submitted to the court last week by Wisconsin Department of Corrections probation and parole agent Jennifer Sem.

Still, it's unusual for a case of its significance to be fully resolved in just over four months. In pleading guilty at the first available opportunity, Patterson declined to have a trial before a judge or jury, bring a motion to suppress his confession, seek a change of venue or exercise any other pretrial right.

[...]

Neena Pacholke on Twitter
Jayme Closs' loved ones are encouraging you to wear blue today, in support of Jayme and in remembrance of her parents #JusticeforJayme
7:40 AM - 24 May 2019

Lou Raguse on Twitter
Here is my thread today for the Jake Patterson sentencing hearing. Watch it live on @kare11 starting at 1:30 p.m. He will get life in prison, but the judge will decide if parole will ever be possible after listening to Jayme’s family. #JaymeCloss
7:53 AM - 24 May 2019

Lou Raguse on Twitter
Patterson pleaded guilty in March to murder and kidnapping with the agreement no charges will be filed in Douglas County where he held Jayme for 88 days. #JaymeCloss
7:55 AM - 24 May 2019

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave