GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that video........wow......and how calm he was!........also he also contradicts himself several times, Ima go ahead and deem him as a liar, first he said he was working at a tatoo parlor during the same times he was in prison.......then he said killed what? 8 people then it jumped to 32

Definitely a psycho!

But yes, we missed a perfect opp for this to be the guy! He was all around the area, definitley could have been him

I saw him in one picture on the water but wondered if he would be hauling someone off.......probalby killed them and leave them

SEE, that's what I cant get past with the D's murders........would a psycho really haul her off in a boat? Or just leave them where they kill them.......but Definitely not everyone has a boat! I dont think I can fathom someone renting a boat.........no someone OWNED a boat already IMO

Yes, seems he's been in prison for longer than his entire adult lifetime and half of his whole lifetime (over 16 years in total, apparently, and the guy is only 32 years old).

This guy doesn't seem like he would have had the resources (vehicle, boat, money), nor the intelligence, but still seemed like a possibility! I guess we have to scrap that idea!?!

There is a good timeline here:
Sex offender Nicholas Gibson, caught in New York, confesses to being serial killer, police say | Daily Mail Online

If you get a chance, take a look at the youtube wherein he actually clearly mouths the words, 'with my bare hands', when asked if he killed this most recent man. Perhaps this guy is one who prefers jail life and doesn't do well when he's out? He also seems to be a pathological liar, which may or may not explain why he said 'with my bare hands' .. unless he strangled his victim first before taking the 'sword' to him.

Hey Jabarn

We dont know that it was a random picking of this house........from the forensics standpoint, the D's knew the killer the reason there was no forced entry...........they knew them well or JUST well enough to trust opening the door to them
I think so, too. This is such an off the grid and sad murder story. I go back to the lake and who might have had access to a boat and used the dock to come up to the house that way.

The thing I ponder is why this house was chosen.

There are crimes that occur simply for the thrill of it and not revenge or robbery. Maybe it’s something like that.

It would be hard to imagine a lone boater, to be fair.

It’s been a while since I looked into the case, but is there a consensus on the means the killer(s) used to access the home?

Hey Jabarn

We dont know that it was a random picking of this house........from the forensics standpoint, the D's knew the killer the reason there was no forced entry...........they knew them well or JUST well enough to trust opening the door to them

Thanks for the reply... it’s helpful. I know they missed the derby party, and that was the first clue something happened. I assume given the time of year and when the party was supposed to start (not sure what time) this crime started when there was still daylight?

Thanks for the reply... it’s helpful. I know they missed the derby party, and that was the first clue something happened. I assume given the time of year and when the party was supposed to start (not sure what time) this crime started when there was still daylight?
in the latest podcast I think it was, I posted above......SS said it may have taken place all throughout the day, probalby saturday.....she had worked the crossword puzzle fri evening and answered emails, we dont know exact time but that paper is delivered fri after 3???......their stomachs were empty, it takes 6-8 hrs to digest a meal, so they had not had breakfast or they'd not had supper friday after noon, and yes party at 4, they didnt show up and had rsvp'd....

I just dont know what time emails were answered but problaby why SS speculates saturday early, before they had time to eat

My GUESS, is they stayed til dark, dropped off early and were picked up by boat, I think a car in their driveway would have been more susceptible to suspicion but someone even tho their closest neighbor was out of the country ALLEGEDLY.....I dont know what proof there is on that BUT......I dont think theyd have run that risk, especially since it's highly suspected the D's knew the perpetrators, well enough anyway to unlock the door or open it, maybe inviting them in..........AND, these people seem to have gone to GREAT GREAT lengths to avoid detection and DNA, why let someone see your car?

Boat by pre dawn hours and boat by nightfall, no one would see a thing

And NO ONE DID

I think you're right now think of this. If they stayed there that long that gave them plenty of time to do a thorough cleaning especially of the bathroom which they must have used a few times. There must have been dna left behind. Also the water company can tell the last time water was used which could give SS a better timeline

I think you're right now think of this. If they stayed there that long that gave them plenty of time to do a thorough cleaning especially of the bathroom which they must have used a few times. There must have been dna left behind. Also the water company can tell the last time water was used which could give SS a better timeline
Is the Great Waters neighborhood on 'time of use' billing from the power company, and if so, was TOU in effect 5 years ago? Hopefully SS would have checked those things, both water and power usage times in the home.

I wonder also if the couple had 'wifi' set up on their modem/router, and if so, if it was unsecured so that anyone could latch onto their wifi (automatically) while within a certain range? That was part of the evidence in catching the killer in another case I followed. If the killer's phone was set to access whichever wifi is available at any given time, it would do it automatically.. but that would only work *if* the killer(s) had phone(s) on hand.. which, if it had been planned, the killer may have arrived without any electronic devices.

I looked up historical weather info during those crucial days in May 2014 in Eatonton GA, and it appears there was zero precipitation. So yes, if the killer(s) were there for a length of time and nature had called, they must have used the house facilities, otherwise their DNA would have been evident in the yard (which presumably the dogs would have found?), since no rain to wash it away before SS arrived.

Wow, hi hope that, was checked!! That would be interesting info to get. ... And about the boat part

They used a boat be auae they Have one

Wonder if the house smelled like bleach

And according to the fbi profile page, the amount of time spent at a crim scene indicates their familiarity to that location

I would love to know more about the couples past. I recently listened to the True Crime Garage episode.

From what I learnt they had many fast food franchises over the years.
Had they ripped off someone many years ago?
Reported someone for fraud or given evidence years ago against someone.

Being so wealthy and owning many businesses over the years, surely they would have pissed off some people.

I would love to know more about the couples past. I recently listened to the True Crime Garage episode.

From what I learnt they had many fast food franchises over the years.
Had they ripped off someone many years ago?
Reported someone for fraud or given evidence years ago against someone.

Being so wealthy and owning many businesses over the years, surely they would have pissed off some people.
There’s not much to tell. Russell was an executive at a clock company, and Shirley stayed home with the 4 kids. When Russell was 58 he retired and they moved to atlanta from NJ and bought up some franchises. There was one disgruntled employee in the past that the kids told SS about, but he had died. And I think you may be overstating their wealth. They were better off than most but total assets including house, retirement plan etc were $1.5 million according to SS. Not exactly Barry and Honey Sherman (another similar, fascinating, unsolved case).

Theories:
The True Crime Garage episode host, Nic, laid out his theory that the D’s were killed by two or more locals, the type of men who have guns and knives, likely blue collar jobs, and feel entitled and perhaps even wronged by “rich people.” They likely planned this in order to get something they perceived that the D’s had (and they might have gotten it, we don’t know).

A pet theory of mine, that I like to entertain even though I think it’s extremely unlikely, is this: Mark D had spent 5 years in Sing Sing and also did a number of stretches in prisons in GA. There he must have met some sketchy types. His parents had written him off after years of him stealing from them and forging checks and flunking rehab - SS indicated this. Isn’t it possible that while in prison, Mark had a bestie that he vented to about his parents? Maybe saying they were awful/betrayed him/were rich/he hated them, and this Bestie exacted revenge on Mark’s behalf after Bestie got out? Weirder things have happened. And if it was a GA prison mate, he could very well know Lake Oconee - many in Atlanta do. Anyway, I know it’s far out there, and this isn’t the movies, but as I said, weirder things have happened!

Theories:
The True Crime Garage episode host, Nic, laid out his theory that the D’s were killed by two or more locals, the type of men who have guns and knives, likely blue collar jobs, and feel entitled and perhaps even wronged by “rich people.” They likely planned this in order to get something they perceived that the D’s had (and they might have gotten it, we don’t know).

A pet theory of mine, that I like to entertain even though I think it’s extremely unlikely, is this: Mark D had spent 5 years in Sing Sing and also did a number of stretches in prisons in GA. There he must have met some sketchy types. His parents had written him off after years of him stealing from them and forging checks and flunking rehab - SS indicated this. Isn’t it possible that while in prison, Mark had a bestie that he vented to about his parents? Maybe saying they were awful/betrayed him/were rich/he hated them, and this Bestie exacted revenge on Mark’s behalf after Bestie got out? Weirder things have happened. And if it was a GA prison mate, he could very well know Lake Oconee - many in Atlanta do. Anyway, I know it’s far out there, and this isn’t the movies, but as I said, weirder things have happened!

JBetty - thank you for bringing this up. From the beginning I have had a weird feeling that this horrific crime MIGHT be connected to their son, Mark. I didn't realize that he had spent 5 years in a seriously bad prison.

One point I'd like to address. One conclusion that has been made (I believe even by SS) is that the Dermonds probably knew their killer or killers. Since there was apparently no forced entry, everyone assumes the Dermonds answered the door (because they knew who was behind that door.) I believe that they very well just answered the door. Many people live in very safe neighborhoods and the elderly, esp. are trusting people (I have opened the door to complete strangers in the past but no more.) Home invasions happen fast. I think they also had other points of entry i.e. porch door off the kitchen, etc. where someone could have easily just walked in. What if one of the D's was accosted while coming out to fetch the paper or mail or just to sit outside with a cup of coffee? I am not convinced they knew their killers, at all. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong