OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#48

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been discussed and I missed it, but were Angela's parents divorced? I know her father died - did she inherit his house and was his house next to or near RN's house?

RN and EC were only married for a few years. I dug for the information and have it somewhere but for now it’s jmo. They got divorced when AW was very young, like ~6 yr. while married they purchased the home together and he got it after the divorce. But he never got the deed changed. When he died her name was still on it cuz she had to appear in probate court to settle the estate. There is documentation in Scioto Co Probate Court that the State has filed a claim on it.

RN and EC were only married for a few years. I dug for the information and have it somewhere but for now it’s jmo. They got divorced when AW was very young, like ~6 yr. while married they purchased the home together and he got it after the divorce. But he never got the deed changed. When he died her name was still on it cuz she had to appear in probate court to settle the estate. There is documentation in Scioto Co Probate Court that the State has filed a claim on it.

Just wondering then...why was AW still so close to RN, since RN obviously remarried L. Newcomb and had a child with him? And AW appeared to be very close to her dad.

That makes sense. I am still curious why George registered to vote in a different town tho. I thought that some on WS had theorized that George arrived back in Ohio at a later time iirc.

I believe RN’s farm was located in Oak Hill, Jackson County. There isn’t much distance between SW and Oak Hill mail route.

Rural Free Delivery was created in the late 1890s. The area of service of a post office hasn't changed unless the
address was incorporated into city or village.

Check out FW farm address and gauge the distance from Lucasville, Ohio on an Ohio map. Any guesses or
clues why rural people would use a post office box as an address?

Because FW actually lives close to the Scioto County/Pike Co line and has a Lucasville address but it’s closer for her to go to the Piketon Post office.

Pike County Facebook tirades reveal concerns about sheriff's credibility in court

This article goes into detail about how Sheriff Reader's "problems" could affect the Jury in the Wagner murder trials.....

Excerpts:
Criminal justice experts agree that should Reader be found of wrongdoing, the case could pose a serious obstacle to the prosecution of the four members of the Wagner clan who are charged in the Rhoden family massacre.

If defense attorneys make a strong case that Reader's credibility is tainted by his potential conviction, "that could give jurors reason to pause and give reasonable doubt," said David Singleton, a law professor at Northern Kentucky University and the executive director of the Ohio Justice & Policy Center. "It's possible it could make a difference."

He likened such a scenario to the O.J. Simpson trial. Then, Det. Mark Fuhrman, who found crucial evidence in the case, was branded by the defense as a racist. Tapes were played of him using the N-word after he denied he’d said it.

"He was a critical fact witness. Discredit him, the house of cards falls," Singleton said. "If the sheriff (Reader) is a critical fact witness in terms of investigatory steps, and (a defense attorney) attacks his credibility, the house could fall."

Allen suspects that Reader played more than an ancillary role in the Wagner investigation, considering the relatively small size of the Pike County Sheriff's Office.

"If they call him and he's impeached by the defense," Allen said, "they're stuck with him. They're just stuck with whatever he has to say."

Last edited:
I re-checked the Adams County Auditor's website and for the Peterson Road property, it shows GW4 and JW purchased the property on 2/4/14 for $175,000. It also shows GW4 and JW sold the property on 3/17/2017 for $165,000.

There is no reference there that shows GW3 was an owner of that property. If you have something that shows differently, that would be interesting!

No, I think you and rsd are correct, it was JW who purchased it with GW4 to have a place for their new families. Wonder when AW and GW3 moved in?

Interesting that they sold at a $10K loss when they'd invested a lot of money into the new barn (can't remember what they owed the construction contractor, about $40K?) that's gotta hurt. Couldn't have been much equity for only being there for about three years. Especially if there was a second mortgage.

JMO, speculating - that would mean they didn't have much in proceeds from the property sale to fund their Alaska trip.

No, I think you and rsd are correct, it was JW who purchased it with GW4 to have a place for their new families. Wonder when AW and GW3 moved in?

Interesting that they sold at a $10K loss when they'd invested a lot of money into the new barn (can't remember what they owed the construction contractor, about $40K?) that's gotta hurt. Couldn't have been much equity for only being there for about three years. Especially if there was a second mortgage.

JMO, speculating - that would mean they didn't have much in proceeds from the property sale to fund their Alaska trip.

I agree. We know the house lost value in the few years they had it, even with the new barn. The contractor filed a lien against the property for what he was owed on the barn, IIRC, so I image they had to pay the contractor in order to be able to transfer the property to the new owners when they sold the property.

They sucked out equity in the property after they bought it, too. If they came out even on the sale of the property, they were lucky, IMO.

We've tossed about theories they weren't up there as long as we may have thought. They may have sold a bunch of stuff, gotten enough together to get a small place (AW was looking in specific price ranges at one point, iirc), and thought they'd do just fine. Find work and all would be well. I don't think they acclimated for one. I think they ran out of money, for two, and nickel dimed their way home through family and friends, or AW got a little inheritance money. She couldn't even go home for his funeral. so that says money was tight. Just insomnia thoughts.

We've tossed about theories they weren't up there as long as we may have thought. They may have sold a bunch of stuff, gotten enough together to get a small place (AW was looking in specific price ranges at one point, iirc), and thought they'd do just fine. Find work and all would be well. I don't think they acclimated for one. I think they ran out of money, for two, and nickel dimed their way home through family and friends, or AW got a little inheritance money. She couldn't even go home for his funeral. so that says money was tight. Just insomnia thoughts.

I feel your pain. I have insomnia thoughts, too. The lawn irrigation guy programmed my irrigation system to go off at 2 a.m. and now I'm up for the night!

I think they ran out of money in Alaska, too. DeWine did a good job of making sure everyone in the country, including everyone in Alaska knew who the Wag's were and that they were his laser focus. That probably made it hard to find and keep jobs up there.

JMO

He seems to be making sure that he is not a future problem with a mistrial. That is why he is always asking if there is a problem with how they are being treated and if they see their lawyers as often as wanted...

He's done so from Day 1, and the answers from all of the defendants have been positive. I think he's doing a very good job so far.

Just wondering then...why was AW still so close to RN, since RN obviously remarried L. Newcomb and had a child with him? And AW appeared to be very close to her dad.

I believe she was raised by RN but not positive. EC was disabled from a work accident and spent his life in a wheelchair prior to his divorce. I doubt he was able to raise AW.

Eight unsolved murders in Pike County, Ohio

I never saw this article before....
Maybe someone would be interested in reading it?

20180619-uT5l09jgtG70vUlLsTqp

Last edited:
Eight unsolved murders in Pike County, Ohio

I never saw this article before....
Maybe someone would be interested in reading it?

That article has always intrigued me. It's dated June 2018 and the author found someone to talk about 'silencers'. The investigators actually visited this person and they had relatives on UHR.

The silencers appear to have been disposed of after the article which was featured prominently on the SM site that is closed.

I haven't heard of investigators talking to anyone yet this happened. The author 'found' someone that made legal silencers.

Grand Jury started in July.

It almost sounds like tickling the wire.

I don't think this subpoena has been discussed. FW wants BCI Agent Ryan Scheider to appear.

Interesting. Right before it there is mention that the State requested discovery evidence from Fred's defense attorneys. People usually think of it being the other way around.

Detective Ryan Scheider is the one to whom the Wagner's made threats against. I anticipate he will be called by the prosecution for the 4 murder trials as he was the lead BCI agent on the case.

I didn't think about him working on Fred's case because it only involved her GJ testimony.
But then there were the searches on her property, was it 1 or 2 searches? And the months trying to get her attorney's cooperation over the BPV purchases, and then all those Exhibits listed in her discovery evidence.

Put all that together and it makes sense that he was involved in gathering evidence to indict her. I now think the prosecution will use him in her trial but it's interesting that Fred's attorney wants to use his testimony and is calling him as a witness.

If the prosecution puts him on the stand and uses his testimony to their advantage, then Fred's attorney will cross examine him to negate or to do "damage control" with
his testimony.

But the fact that Fred's defense is actually on the "offense" by calling Scheider to the stand means that he has actual testimony that can help prove Fred's case, or, Fred's attorney found a way to discredit the things he (LE) did in the investigation.

.......Just my own speculation.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads