FL FL - Bobby Joe Long, 65, Executed. He Killed at Least 10 Women in the 1980s

PastTense

Reaction score
"After 34 years on death row, Bobby Joe Long was finally put to death. He had confessed to killing 10 women during the 1980s and raped many more. He said nothing before he was executed at Florida State Prison.

Bobby Joe Long died without saying a word.

The infamous Tampa serial killer was pronounced dead at 6:55 p.m. inside the death chamber at Florida State Prison on Thursday night.

“We thank God that this day has finally arrived,” said Lula Williams, the mother of victim Chanel Williams. “Now, after 35 years, we can say we had some peace of mind knowing that justice has been served.”

Long, 65, was executed by the state for the 1984 murder of Michelle Denise Simms, a former beauty pageant contestant from California. Her body was found that May, near an Interstate 4 overpass by Plant City. She was bound with a rope and her throat had been cut.

But she was only one of his many victims. Long was convicted of killing eight women while terrorizing the Tampa Bay area in the 1980s. He actually confessed to 10 murders, and sexually assaulted many more."

Tampa serial killer Bobby Joe Long is executed in silence

Finally those families can have closure.
When there was a delay right at 6pm I thought for sure there was going to be a stay of execution. In my opinion it's a good thing it went on as planned.
Someone who murdered 10 people should not use "cruel and unusual punishment" as the reason why they should not be executed. MOO JMO

Why did they wait so long? I do not understand this. He admitted to some of the most unbelievable acts imaginable (I watched it), and still they wait until he's just about ready to kick the bucket due to natural causes to administer a lethal injection. It says to me that, regardless of what they want us to believe, money is received for keeping these condemned criminals alive. It has nothing to do with being "more expensive to administer lethal injection." All MOO.

Serial killer who took 10 women’s lives executed in Florida

Noland became the victim Long let go. The day before her abduction, she'd written a suicide note, planning to end her life after years of sexual abuse by her grandmother's boyfriend.

But she ended up using heroic use of that history.

"At the time he put the gun to my head, it was nothing new to me," she told The Associated Press.

Why did they wait so long? I do not understand this. He admitted to some of the most unbelievable acts imaginable (I watched it), and still they wait until he's just about ready to kick the bucket due to natural causes to administer a lethal injection. It says to me that, regardless of what they want us to believe, money is received for keeping these condemned criminals alive. It has nothing to do with being "more expensive to administer lethal injection." All MOO.

I think our justice system is a mess: those perps who go to death row have so many appeals: it takes years and years for the appeals process, so the murderer grows old on death row and the victim's families have no closure: it sucks. In some states like California, most of those who have been given a death sentence will die of old age before they are ever put to death. Florida and Texas at least do perform executions-
eventually.

In the good old days the death penalty was carried out within a relatively short time from the time of the conviction and sentence. That was back in the 1950s---

I think our justice system is a mess: those perps who go to death row have so many appeals: it takes years and years for the appeals process, so the murderer grows old on death row and the victim's families have no closure: it sucks. In some states like California, most of those who have been given a death sentence will die of old age before they are ever put to death. Florida and Texas at least do perform executions-
eventually.

In the good old days the death penalty was carried out within a relatively short time from the time of the conviction and sentence. That was back in the 1950s---

Can I ask, who pays for these appeals? I am in UK

eventually.

Used to be 3
clear Sunday's in the UK

Can I ask, who pays for these appeals? I am in UK

THE TAXPAYER, of course. If the inventor of these laws had to pay for them, they'd be put to death the night of the guilty verdict, IMO. It is also the
inventor of these quacky laws who is instructed by the powers that be to put them in place. Each state benefits per head (much as schools). Then, they preach the "cruelty" and how much better it is to punish them while they "languish"over their their crimes, etc. all over the news media. If these criminals had any conscience or languished about anything worthwhile, they wouldn't have murdered their victims, IMHO.

I can't begin to list all the stories I have read and seen where criminals commit crime just to get thrown in jail. Why work when you can get free room and board, recreation, medical and dental. No responsibilities to anyone. And, that's exactly what they say. It's just eeny, meeny, miny, mo as to who gets to be the victims (the more victims, the more likely you'll get a life sentence). They do NOT fear the death penalty. What they fear is their own mortality, and our laws are such that their mortality is not in question. All MOO and from articles, interviews and research on the subject.

I hope all of this changes someday. But, as long as money is behind it, I doubt seriously it ever will. MOO

Jack Gilbert Graham - Wikipedia

Here is a perfect example of a case where the death penalty was carried out within 2 years after the nasty deed. This man put a bomb on an airplane in 1955; he wanted to kill his mother so he had no problem killing all the other people on the plane. I saw this story on " A Crime To Remember" on Investigative ID and then I read the book: " Mainliner Denver": it is a fascinating read: considering there was no internet or computers at that time, The FBI figured out pretty quickly the son was the perp. He was executed in 1957. This is how the death penalty should work: i also believe that when the death penalty is given, there should be no doubt that person is the killer.

Is it entirely possible that these cases could be linked to Bobby Long?

Behdokht Behnia Pyke – The Charley Project

Rose Marie Haney (1969-1983) - Find A Grave...

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The problem is that serial killer Christopher Wilder was in the same area at roughly the same time, with the same preferred type of victim. So was the Vampire Rapist John Brennan Crutchley. As were Gerald Schafer. It's unbelievably difficult to try and find any that Long might have committed that one or more of these other men may have done.

In summary, this is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

The only problem with speeding up the process is all the people exonerated from death row would have been executed before they were able to prove their innocence...

There are so many problems with capital punishment and the criminal justice system as a whole...

I agree that the families go through a lot during the process...

I wonder if Bobby Joe Long thought he escaped the death penalty...He received life for all the murders except one...I'm surprised they charged him with every murder...If the one DP case was overturned, he would've just served LWOP...Sometimes they will not try killers with all of murders just in case the sentence is overturned...There's no statute of limitations on murders...

I agree.
The DP seems like a joke. The appeal process is too lengthy, imo.
Glad he finally received his sentence.
The problem with the death penalty is that its for the living instead of the dead. Of course, kill murderers, revenge the victims, deter future crimes. But do it in a way that we give the condemned every chance, every mercy. But it's not for them. It's for us. To make it okay when we do finally pull the switch.

The death penalty exists the way does because we are not longer a hard society.

Shame and the Serial Killer

Sep 06, 2019

"...It’s no excuse for murder, but for some people, humiliation runs deep—depriving them of self-esteem, a sense of control, and feelings of accomplishment. They don’t get past it. Instead, the humiliation festers, feeding their view of a hostile world that hinders them and justifies payback....

Florida rapist and serial killer Bobby Joe Long confessed to ten murders, and said he’d started killing his rape victims after a woman reported him. Long was a “power assertive rapist,” according to the FBI’s classification system, which means he acted out to assert his manhood. He’d been born with an extra X chromosome that had produced abnormal amounts of estrogen during puberty, along with enlarged breasts.

Defense expert Dr. John Money testified about the negative impact of this condition, including shame over having breasts as a teenage boy. He said that, with Long’s fragile ego, the combination had created a Jekyll/Hyde syndrome. Given his developmental issues and the fact that the woman who'd reported him had undermined his control, his subsequent brutality to his murder victims might well have reassured him of his dominance...."

Shame and the Serial Killer

eventually.

You're right. We have too many appeals....I mean...Long waited 30 years for his execution but some criminals were sentenced to death in the late 70's and they're still alive...what the heck... o_O
Maybe we should make all the appeal process more fast and functioning. If somebody has been sentenced to death they have only two appeals: one to the State Supreme Court and the last one to the US Supreme Court.
If the US Supreme Court rejects the appeal the convict can ask for clemency or commutation.
If clemency or commutation are not accepted he MUST be executed within 1/2 weeks. No more delays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back