NC - Loving father or abusive parent, spouse? Tales conflict in suspicious dog-leash death

The guy was not on the ground, supposedly he was sitting in a chair.
Right. I thought I had found pics of the inside of the house yesterday, but they were from a house belonging to someone else in this case.

It would be so helpful to know what kind of chair, leash and dog we are talking about.

@gitana1, I too have a crazy dog like that. She couldn’t pull me to the floor but she could definitely do that with a leash just from being frantic.

Also if it’s true that the gold bars were sold long before this happened, which the defense states in their motion, then I am even more suspicious because the same person keeps pointing out all the “evidence” against the son.

It would be so helpful to know what kind of chair, leash and dog we are talking about.
I haven't found anything where the leash is described. Chair and dog are described.

Descriptions for the chair include "recliner" and/or "leather chair". This article has "oversized leather chair":
Son challenges search warrants in Durham dog-leash death. Could evidence be thrown out?
Officials found Bishop without a pulse in an oversized leather chair.

Dog is a labrador retriever:
New report questions homicide ruling in Durham dog-leash death
In his report, Privette, a former state medical examiner who has completed 2,000 autopsies, pointed to a lack of self-defense injuries on Bishop.
[...]
Bishop was admitted to the cardiac intensive care unit at Duke University Hospital after he was found unconscious April 18, Idol said, and stayed there until his death.
[...]
Privette said he had no opinion as to whether Bishop’s dog, a Labrador retriever, could wrap a leash around someone’s neck.

“However, assuming that the events are possible, it is my opinion that a 60-pound dog would have the force to cause the described injuries,” his report states.

Hard to imagine how dog would have managed to wrap a leash around a neck of a guy sitting in a chair.

Right. I thought I had found pics of the inside of the house yesterday, but they were from a house belonging to someone else in this case.

@gitana1, I too have a crazy dog like that. She couldn’t pull me to the floor but she could definitely do that with a leash just from being frantic.

Also if it’s true that the gold bars were sold long before this happened, which the defense states in their motion, then I am even more suspicious because the same person keeps pointing out all the “evidence” against the son.

My son's lab most definitely could do that. I think it possible the dog yanked on the leash and pulled Bishop down. The leash was wrapped around his neck as he was trying to get up and dog excitedly moved back and forth. Bishop made it to the chair and suffered his heart attack there.

The falsifying of the search warrants by a police officer and failure to allow a parent present during the juvenile's questioning should result in this case getting thrown out and the police officer fired. They also need to investigate the relationship between that police officer and the father's girlfriend.

JMO

I haven't found anything where the leash is described. Chair and dog are described.

Descriptions for the chair include "recliner" and/or "leather chair". This article has "oversized leather chair":
Son challenges search warrants in Durham dog-leash death. Could evidence be thrown out?

In his report, Privette, a former state medical examiner who has completed 2,000 autopsies, pointed to a lack of self-defense injuries on Bishop.
[...]
Bishop was admitted to the cardiac intensive care unit at Duke University Hospital after he was found unconscious April 18, Idol said, and stayed there until his death.
[...]
Privette said he had no opinion as to whether Bishop’s dog, a Labrador retriever, could wrap a leash around someone’s neck.

“However, assuming that the events are possible, it is my opinion that a 60-pound dog would have the force to cause the described injuries,” his report states.

Of course the dog couldn't wrap its leashe around his neck if he was sitting up. Unless he was holding the leash in an odd position.

Or unless he wasn't sitting up and was reclining. But then why would he be holding the leash?

I want to know what evidence thy have against the kid.

“Expected self-defense injuries include scratches/abrasions at the face and neck created by Mr. Bishop frantically attempting to remove the ligature from his neck,” Privette wrote. He also wrote that the marks on Bishop’s neck, faint and on one side only, “are unusual” for a violent strangulation with the dog leash material.

Bishop had heart disease, according to Privette. His heart was enlarged and 80 percent blocked on one side.

Blockages over 75 percent can cause sudden heart “events” and death, the report said.

Bishop’s family believes he had a fatal heart attack, said Bob Idol, an attorney representing Bishop’s two sons in estate-related matters.

Read more here: New report questions homicide ruling in Durham dog-leash death
This is an older article, but wanted to post the above as I didn't see it in this thread. The ligature marks were faint and on one side of the neck only. IMO, if that is true, I think it's possible the dog did wrap the leash around his neck. We don't know what position the man was actually found in. In the 911 call, the dispatcher told the son to lay the man flat on the floor. If the son did, then only the son knows what position his Dad was found.

I guess it doesn't help to make statements to the effect of how much you dislike your father as your father is dying. Sounds like police became suspicious about the son's involvement because he made those types of statements. There were apparently some suspicious internet searches the son did (it's in the OP).

I guess it doesn't help to make statements to the effect of how much you dislike your father as your father is dying. Sounds like police became suspicious about the son's involvement because he made those types of statements. There were apparently some suspicious internet searches the son did (it's in the OP).
There was no evidence of a crime at the scene. The father was still alive and died of a heart attack three days later. The man had been accused of abuse in the past. So that makes his son a murderer? I don't think so.

JMO

[...]
[...]

I believe a 60 pound lab absolutely could do this. About 15 years ago, while rescuing a lab, she decided to go on a walk-about at a very fast pace. Long story short, she dragged me to the ground, over a tree stump, etc. I was probably 130 pounds then. So if a 60 pound lab could drag 130 pounds without exertion, I imagine she could accidentally throttle a man. Those in rescue know why labs are considered puppies for the first 7 years. They are strong and extremely active.

“Expected self-defense injuries include scratches/abrasions at the face and neck created by Mr. Bishop frantically attempting to remove the ligature from his neck,” Privette wrote. He also wrote that the marks on Bishop’s neck, faint and on one side only, “are unusual” for a violent strangulation with the dog leash material.

Bishop had heart disease, according to Privette. His heart was enlarged and 80 percent blocked on one side.

Blockages over 75 percent can cause sudden heart “events” and death, the report said.

Bishop’s family believes he had a fatal heart attack, said Bob Idol, an attorney representing Bishop’s two sons in estate-related matters.

Read more here: New report questions homicide ruling in Durham dog-leash death
This is an older article, but wanted to post the above as I didn't see it in this thread. The ligature marks were faint and on one side of the neck only. IMO, if that is true, I think it's possible the dog did wrap the leash around his neck. We don't know what position the man was actually found in. In the 911 call, the dispatcher told the son to lay the man flat on the floor. If the son did, then only the son knows what position his Dad was found.
So it’s possible he came home from walking the dog, not feeling well, so he collapses in recliner without bothering to remove the leash, had a heart attack, possibly in a reclining position. What would your dog do? I once had a rescue dog who was so fearful of losing me that he would constantly check that I was still breathing while I slept. I’ve even had cats frantically paw at me during a coughing fit. I believe the dog may have panicked and jumped in the chair trying to get a response from him, and in his manic jumping around, gotten the leash wrapped around him.

I feel so sorry for this kid. Finding his father like that, losing his father, and then being charged with his murder — absolutely horrible!

IMO... He probably had heard how his dad tried to commit suicide years ago and how angry his father was when his mom called 911.... so he was afraid to call for help. I think that is why he said something to the police that his dad was going to be angry with him.

This case reminds me of AJ Armstrong who just had a mistrial for murdering his mom and ex-pro football player dad. AJ was 16 when the murders occurred. I have serious doubts that AJ did the crime too.

This is unreal. WOW what a case.

bbm

You bring up an excellent point, IMO! If the dad was having a heart attack, the dog could have jumped up to either play -- the dog thought he was playing -- or the dog thought he was in distress -- the leash could have somehow gotten around the man's neck and the dog and/or the man could have strained and thrashed around enuff to put pressure on his neck. Hmmmm.

I think this is totally possible. I know it sounds insane but I really think it could have happened this way.

I just know from my crazy hyena of a dog, if I collapsed on the ground she could EASILY run around me and strangle me with the leash. She'd be frantic. And running in circles.

We have a 45 pound puppy who is a beagle/heeler/border collie/bloodhound mix. Between the energy, the tracking and being a puppy he's a handful!

I have actually thought of this exact scenario happening. (When I saw this thread I thought I was crazy or dreaming.) He once wrapped around my leg and it left a very ugly ligature mark just below my knee and bruised as well. He is very protective and if anyone is hurt or sick he's right there. If someone were to fall over or something I can also see him getting wrapped around the person trying to kiss them and then running away and then coming back.

This may just be a case that is stranger than fiction.

IMO the father had a heart issue, sat down, became unresponsive and the dog (still on the leash) anxiously got wrapped around him, making it appear like a possible strangulation.

I can’t imagine the son approaching the father and strangling him with the dog leash — and the father had no defense wounds.

As to the Google searches allegedly made by the son, WHEN were they done? Before the incident? If so, that raises some suspicion.
If AFTER the father was found, well, that just makes sense. The father apparently provided for the sons. Of course they would be curious about finances.

Just saw this -- nothing really new or earth-shattering --

Teen Called 911 Claiming Multimillionaire Dad Choked on Dog Leash — Now He’s Charged With Murder
First Responders found Bill Bishop unresponsive in a leather chair in his Durham home

By
Christine Pelisek

May 22, 2019 10:21 AM

On April 18, 2018, 16-year-old Alexander Bishop called 911 to report a tragedy in his Durham, N.C. home: His 59-year-old father Bill was unresponsive, with a dog leash wrapped around his neck with the dog attached to it.
[...]
In one of the motions, Sharp said the purchase order for the gold bars “clearly” showed the bars had been sold in 2016 and weren’t missing. Sharp also claimed that in body worn camera footage, responding officers could he heard saying they believed the dog leash was responsible for the strangulation.
Teen Called 911 Claiming Multimillionaire Dad Choked on Dog Leash — Now He’s Charged With Murder

Hard to imagine how dog would have managed to wrap a leash around a neck of a guy sitting in a chair.
He could have jumped up in his lap, whined and licked his face, trying to arouse him; he could have moved around on the chair dragging the leash here and there, etc. I could see where it might happen.
We have had two labs -- very loving, loyal, and devoted (as most dogs are). They get even more that way, and more protective as well, as they get older, but not in a vicious way -- they are very even-tempered -- and they are very strong. I could see it happening. Or not, But IMO, it's possible.

Hey all! Just found this case the other day and now have time to catch up.

Gardenista said:
This case reminds me of AJ Armstrong who just had a mistrial for murdering his mom and ex-pro football player dad. AJ was 16 when the murders occurred. I have serious doubts that AJ did the crime too.

I was just thinking about that case too. I too have serious doubts about AJ, and have some very serious doubts about Alexander....

Bizarre case as some of you have said. I'll be following this one, except I can't get into NC court site!! :(

@borndem - can you find a court site for Durham County - I can't seem to find one....

Thanks for checking borndem!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

and DARN!!! Can't access the site....

Looks like I'll be calling on you for this one! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back