GUILTY IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

The odds of two murderers from Delphi in such a short time is very scary. It is also scary to look at his FB friends and see some who have been accused on unfounded grounds of being involved in the double homicides of (I find something uncanny about it all). On the other hand I could see how experiencing the ripple effect of a double murder in ones small town might significantly impact any teen, let alone one who was already trying to escape reality and later did so through drug use.

Have we been wrong this whole time? I feel so uncomfortable and disturbed.

None of this seems to fit. And so it may

ETA: also friends with family of one of the girls. If this is against TOS I apologize and please remove

I want him to be ruled out just so I don’t entertain this. Because it seems absolutely absurdist of me.

Last edited:
Man oh man....you are impressing the heck out of me Sleuther019..etc (Can I just shorten your moniker to super Sleuth009??? :)) Is there anyway you can tell what the "make and model" of the vehicle was on Sept. 2017. Chances are it is the same vehicle used on or about Feb. 13, 2017 since his other vehicle was wrecked on Jan. 2017 and when he had confrontation with man from Flora. Oh S-N-A-P !!! Just had a thought....what if the vehicle used on Feb 13th 2017 was a "loaner car" from the vehicle repair shop, or a "short term rental" paid for by the insurance company?? That definitely would have made recognizing/unrecognizing a vehicle to a driver, who normally drove a different car improbable/difficult. Okay, did y'all get that??? My brain is asking questions faster than my fingers can type right now. (Lol, you guys are Class A sleuths and will figure out what I mean.....) A vehicle not normally seen in town and only used for a short time from Jan 2017 to end of Feb 2017....
BTW...I do not think this case will ever go to trial...diagnosed mental illness... transfer to mental health facility and then to prison LWOP. So much tragedy...
another young woman who took the initiative to say, "This isn't right and filed a restraining order." I say Bravo to SR!!
Thank you, @IQuestion but anything I post I have learned from the veteran WS’ers here. They have been kind enough to share sources & links here. I just track things as they arise.
Sleuther is fine :)
I apologize, but I can not find any info on a make or model of TJ’s vehicle.
I agree with where you are going with the vehicle info.
I also agree that SR is a brave young woman. It takes brass ones (ykwim) to file for a protection order in the first place & to follow through with calling LE when it’s broken.
MOO

I’m also gonna have to unfortunately say untreated mental health/personality disorder issues that were undetected as a child and festered (often lack of detection isn’t the parents fault as the child has not yet developed. I also believe diagnosing a child with a personality disorder is a clinical no no. I might be wrong, but believe a diagnosis before 18 is considered clinically uncouth and most doctors advise against doing so). He’s at the age where certain things start to come to the surface, especially if one has a genetic predisposition and is self medicating or abusing drugs. Tends to be what tells the dna to switch on what otherwise might be latent

Aka in my head as someone who is delusional and/or now completely out of touch. Believes in his false oppressed reality, paranoid, schizoid like traits. The illness doesn’t make him a killer so much as aggravating some pre existing “evil” or lack of normal empathic reactions.

ETA: do we no yet how the victim died? I would be curious to learn by hand, weapon, etc and how learning the MO might help us

Also, so sorry for the victim.
I believe he was beaten and strangled.

You are right

Just saw that as well, but wasn’t sure if that was stated in msm.

That doesn’t seem to fit. But then again this person would be an anomaly in all sorts of ways? But it doesn’t fit? Then again we have such few facts.

Short on facts, long on speculation. Because I don’t understand why the 29 year old victim would go anywhere near the suspect’s apartment considering his 18 year old girlfriend had earlier filed a protection order. Plotting to steal a car and keys is all for naught if the victim had refused to have anything to do with TJ, which in the normal course of events would seem prudent.

I had a fleeting thought maybe RM went over to pick up things that SR left behind if she’d recently lived in that apartment and left because of the incident involving the protection order. I’m curious how long SR and RM had been involved in a relationship because this all seems like it might be similar to a love triangle that ended horribly wrong.

... (snipped by me)... I bet he is also a manipulative, conniving, self-centered, grudge accumulating weasel. (Apologies to weasels.) ****Please realize, all my thoughts are just my thoughts, based on similarities of past cases, infused with a ton of "what if" scenarios.****

BBM
@IQuestion: the world's weasels thank you!:) (needed a touch of humor, especially with such a case as this one)

(Thinking now of other "human weasels" [i. e., in very nearby towns to Lafayette, IN] who need to be apprehended and incarcerated ASAP.)

Last edited:
He must have caught him off guard, as typically, if size is relatively equivalent, a 29 year old would typically outstrength a 19 year old.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I agree. Do we know Martins size like height, thin or muscular etc... Of course if Jasper was in a rage, it probably wouldn’t matter. MOO

<modsnip - to remove a quote that has been removed>

Or maybe the current boyfriend was asked by the girlfriend to play friends in order to get information out of Jasper. Maybe Jasper felt threatened (due to what was a real threat or perceived as a real threat) and snapped. Another very real possibility is fear of exposure or a rage induced killing. Unless Jasper himself had plotted this in advance (the MO doesn’t seem to suggest that however)

The only reason I can imagine Martin going anywhere with him would be because 1. He didn’t know his current girlfriend used to date Jasper (unlikely) 2. Drugs 3. Picking up clothes of the girlfriend or something like that as suggested above 4. To have a “conversation” about something as a means to confront 5. Because the girlfriend asked to get more information out of him regarding something (basically a version of 4) 6. Jasper told Martin he wanted to talk and apologize (which could be an act of premeditated murder or just that the talk didn’t go as planned).[/QUOTE]
Or he was forced to go with him

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the "thinking out of the box" as to why Ryan went into the apartment. If it was to cause or confront...TJ had more than ample opportunity to call the police and report the problem. Add to the fact NOT ONE NEIGHBOR has claimed to have heard an argument. So, from that, I am going to surmise Ryan was hit from behind (Ie, blunt force trauma to head) and also strangled (per coroner's report)...easy enough to accomplish if the victim has already been knocked unconscious. But the fact is he didn't and instead hid Ryan's body in a closet for more than 12 hours!!....acknowledgment of guilt (?). Hiding a body kind of screams, "I don't want anyone to see what I have done." And, he was strong enough to drag Ryan's body into a closet. (!! disgusting) The next fact is the arrest record states "invasion of privacy and entering a residence" NOT BREAKING AND ENTERING...so how do you think he got into SR's home?? I think the answer is evident....he used Ryan's keys and walked into the home, no doubt very proud of how he figured out how to scare poor SR half to death.
Who knows, how his mind works? Maybe he schmoozed Ryan for weeks and feigned "no hard feelings, buddy....I now see the error of my ways." "Hey, I want to give you my bigscreen TV" or "Can you help me move a sofa" (some kind of innocent request or ruse). Be assured, Ryan and SR are the victims.

I appreciate the "thinking out of the box" as to why Ryan went into the apartment. If it was to cause or confront...TJ had more than ample opportunity to call the police and report the problem. Add to the fact NOT ONE NEIGHBOR has claimed to have heard an argument. So, from that, I am going to surmise Ryan was hit from behind (Ie, blunt force trauma to head) and also strangled (per coroner's report)...easy enough to accomplish if the victim has already been knocked unconscious. But the fact is he didn't and instead hid Ryan's body in a closet for more than 12 hours!!....acknowledgment of guilt (?). Hiding a body kind of screams, "I don't want anyone to see what I have done." And, he was strong enough to drag Ryan's body into a closet. (!! disgusting) The next fact is the arrest record states "invasion of privacy and entering a residence" NOT BREAKING AND ENTERING...so how do you think he got into SR's home?? I think the answer is evident....he used Ryan's keys and walked into the home, no doubt very proud of how he figured out how to scare poor SR half to death.
Who knows, how his mind works? Maybe he schmoozed Ryan for weeks and feigned "no hard feelings, buddy....I now see the error of my ways." "Hey, I want to give you my bigscreen TV" or "Can you help me move a sofa" (some kind of innocent request or ruse). Be assured, Ryan and SR are the victims.

I’m not denying Ryan is a victim at all. I’m just curious why he went willingly to TJ’s apartment, assuming he wasn’t forced. Its uncommon for new boyfriends to hang out with their girlfriend’s ex, especially those who have protection orders filed against them. There’s more to this story, as it is it doesn’t quite make sense.

Great post! (As usual) A lot to consider!

Lafayette man killed, found in suspect's apartment

This report is also very vague.

8:05am SR call LE about the protection order, claiming TJ was at RMs home, where she was as well. But TJ had already left. She also tells LE she had expected RM to be home that morning.

While investigating the missing persons report, somebody tells LE they saw RM at TJs apartment “earlier in the day”.

TJ tells LE RM gave him a ride home from work that morning and stopped in at his apartment and RM left after receiving a phone call or text.

At 8:30pm LE obtains a search warrant and then find RMs body in TJs closet, beaten and manually strangled.

Lafayette man killed, found in suspect's apartment

This report is also very vague.

8:05am SR call LE about the protection order, claiming TJ was at RMs home, where she was as well. But TJ had already left. She also tells LE she had expected RM to be home that morning.

While investigating the missing persons report, somebody tells LE they saw RM at TJs apartment “earlier in the day”.

TJ tells LE RM gave him a ride home from work that morning and stopped in at his apartment and RM left after receiving a phone call or text.

At 8:30pm LE obtains a search warrant and then find RMs body in TJs closet, beaten and manually strangled.
... the results of the autopsy report "blunt force trauma and manual strangulation" was not issued until the following day. The police had no idea they would find Ryan in TJ's closet. They had to search the apartment to find Ryan. The victim did not put himself in the closet, TJ had to drag him in there. Can we assume/agree Ryan had been deceased or incapacitated for over 12 hours as he did not answer his phone? Since LE had to get a search warrant, as I am also assuming TJ did not say, "Guys, Come on in and have a look around." Bizarre doesn't even begin to describe these recent events. Shocking, but in many ways not surprising either. I think TJ was a youthful offender, who got too many passes and his escalating violence has finally caught up with him.

I’m not denying Ryan is a victim at all. I’m just curious why he went willingly to TJ’s apartment, assuming he wasn’t forced. Its uncommon for new boyfriends to hang out with their girlfriend’s ex, especially those who have protection orders filed against them. There’s more to this story, as it is it doesn’t quite make sense.
bbm above Giving a co-worker a ride home from work would not be my definition of "hanging out." The drive was on his way home from work, and they lived less than a mile from each other... Ryan was just a kind man and didn't deserve this horrible fate.

I agree. Do we know Martins size like height, thin or muscular etc... Of course if Jasper was in a rage, it probably wouldn’t matter. MOO

In Mycase TJ is 5'11" and RM 6'0" with RM being a bit heavier so not a lot in it.

Case Search - MyCase

Case Summary

State of Indiana v. Talmadge R. Jasper
Case Number 79D04-1905-MC-000505
Court Tippecanoe Superior Court 4
Type MC - Miscellaneous Criminal
Filed 05/24/2019
Status 05/24/2019 , Pending (active)
Reference
Prosecutor Case Management Number
79-DM89329
Police Agency Number