GUILTY UK - Blake, 14 & Tristan Barrass, 13, dead, 4 hospitalized, Sheffield, May 2019 *Arrests*

Were they already known to police? Or did whoever called the police see or hear something that riot vans were sent?

I have closed down all the media tabs I've read for the case, so I don't have access to quotes, but from what I can tell from police statements plus the tabloid reports.... police were called by someone who did not live in the house, but nothing has said exactly who called or why.

The attending vehicles have been said to be multiple police cars, I think four ambulances plus air ambulance, and two riot vans. And the surviving children have been described on police Twitter as having been 'rescued' from the house/the situation in the house.

All I'm saying is that whatever the 'incident' was these were the vehicles they chose to send out. I think it's also telling that attending officers have been said to be receiving support for what they encountered/saw in that house.

I’m ex police. Attended a few horrific incidents in my time, including a child’s murder

If support is needed at this stage, then it’s bad. V bad. I have my own thoughts on this case, but I guess we will find out fairly soon

Can I ask a question...not in relation to this case specifically, but when the police say serious incident, what are the rules so to speak

It seems a strange and unfamiliar choice of words that I’ve not seen too often. Is there a reasoning to why this term is used?

I’m ex police. Attended a few horrific incidents in my time, including a child’s murder

If support is needed at this stage, then it’s bad. V bad. I have my own thoughts on this case, but I guess we will find out fairly soon

Seems strange to 'like' a post like this but I hope you know I mean thanks for'the info!

Just catching up with this, it's not too far from my Grandparents home.
I've seen the family member on facebook commenting on the news article as well. - I saw that before I found this as it's "local" news for my family as it were.
Insane really... I can't help but feel broken for those two lads, I dread to think what kind of situation the police were met with upon arrival. Poor kids. :(

I've been trying to figure out what the hell has gone on with it all - the kids contact their friends to say they aren't well, suddenly the two eldest are dead and the rest are in bandages - my Grandpas first thought was a cook den that's gone wrong [from the words poisoning an assumption that chemical mixtures have gone wrong? caused some sort of toxic gas???]

Regarding murder charges and how they work in the UK I'm going to add the link here that I use for my uni studies; Homicide: Murder and Manslaughter | The Crown Prosecution Service --

"Subject to three exceptions (see Voluntary Manslaughter below) the crime of murder is committed, where a person:
  • Of sound mind and discretion (i.e. sane);
  • unlawfully kills (i.e. not self-defence or other justified killing);
  • any reasonable creature (human being);
  • in being (born alive and breathing through its own lungs - Rance v Mid-Downs Health Authority (1991) 1 All ER 801 and AG Ref No 3 of 1994 (1997) 3 All ER 936;
  • under the Queen's Peace (not in war-time);
  • with intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH)."
I really don't know what to think of this situation. It's so sad. I hope the other children are okay! :(

Just catching up with this, it's not too far from my Grandparents home.
I've seen the family member on facebook commenting on the news article as well. - I saw that before I found this as it's "local" news for my family as it were.
Insane really... I can't help but feel broken for those two lads, I dread to think what kind of situation the police were met with upon arrival. Poor kids. :(

I've been trying to figure out what the hell has gone on with it all - the kids contact their friends to say they aren't well, suddenly the two eldest are dead and the rest are in bandages - my Grandpas first thought was a cook den that's gone wrong [from the words poisoning an assumption that chemical mixtures have gone wrong? caused some sort of toxic gas???]

Regarding murder charges and how they work in the UK I'm going to add the link here that I use for my uni studies; Homicide: Murder and Manslaughter | The Crown Prosecution Service --

"Subject to three exceptions (see Voluntary Manslaughter below) the crime of murder is committed, where a person:
  • Of sound mind and discretion (i.e. sane);
  • unlawfully kills (i.e. not self-defence or other justified killing);
  • any reasonable creature (human being);
  • in being (born alive and breathing through its own lungs - Rance v Mid-Downs Health Authority (1991) 1 All ER 801 and AG Ref No 3 of 1994 (1997) 3 All ER 936;
  • under the Queen's Peace (not in war-time);
  • with intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH)."
I really don't know what to think of this situation. It's so sad. I hope the other children are okay! :(
I was thinking cookhouse was a possibility before the charges, but from your link:

The intent for murder is an intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH).
So I don't think it can be that. But things may change. Early days and not much info out there.

serious incident would mean a few people affected as opposed to an isolated individual case. its established that theres no threat to the public so i guess its enquiries stage now

small distressed children can make a lot of noise, and this alone will be enough for officers to be affected, i can only imagine the scene that greeted them

i'm baffled by the bandage observation

Gosh I'm seeing one news outlet has named them. I won't link it or quote it until I know for sure yesterday's warnings from the police about naming them has been lifted.

“The two cannot be named for legal reasons. Anyone who chooses to name them could be charged with contempt of court.”
Pair charged with murder after two children die in Sheffield

It's in all the papers now courtesy of the Press Association so I think it's safe to quote.

Sarah Barrass, 34, is accused of murdering Blake Barrass, 14, and 13-year-old Tristan Barrass following an incident in the Shiregreen area of Sheffield on Friday.

She appeared in the dock at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court alongside Brandon Machin, 37, who is also accused of murdering the two boys.

Mother in court charged with murder of two sons in Sheffield

Gosh I'm seeing one news outlet has named them. I won't link it or quote it until I know for sure yesterday's warnings from the police about naming them has been lifted.

“The two cannot be named for legal reasons. Anyone who chooses to name them could be charged with contempt of court.”
Pair charged with murder after two children die in Sheffield

It's possible the reporting restrictions were clarified at the magistrates hearing and now only affect the names of the surviving children?

The outlet that has used the names is one that you would not expect to break the rules on something like this. But, best to wait and find that out for certain before using the names here...

ETA the one I found naming the accused was Sky News website.

It's in all the papers now courtesy of the Press Association so I think it's safe to quote.

Sarah Barrass, 34, is accused of murdering Blake Barrass, 14, and 13-year-old Tristan Barrass following an incident in the Shiregreen area of Sheffield on Friday.

She appeared in the dock at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court alongside Brandon Machin, 37, who is also accused of murdering the two boys.

Mother in court charged with murder of two sons in Sheffield

It was all over social media anyway so probably makes sense to name them and get some facts out there rather than all the rumours.

It's possible the reporting restrictions were clarified at the magistrates hearing and now only affect the names of the surviving children?

The outlet that has used the names is one that you would not expect to break the rules on something like this. But, best to wait and find that out for certain before using the names here...
Since I posted that it appeared all over the media and it's a Press Association release so I gathered it's been approved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back