GUILTY AZ - Navneet Kaur, 30, Phoenix, 30 March 2007 *Arrest*

Niner

Long time Websleuther
Reaction score
More than 12 years after Avtar Grewal allegedly killed his wife and fled to India, 63 potential jurors packed into a small courtroom on West Jefferson Street. Monday's jury selection marked the start of Grewal's long-awaited trial following his extradition from India and years of back-and-forth motions, status conferences, and hearings delaying the case.

It also marked the beginning of another months-long, high-profile murder case for Deputy Maricopa County Attorney Juan Martinez, who has been the subject of at least seven bar complaints in the past four years. Many of the complaints involve Martinez's actions during the trial of Jodi Arias, who was convicted of the first-degree murder of her boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in May 2013.
[.....]
On March 30, 2007, Grewal allegedly brutally murdered his wife, 30-year-old Navneet Kaur, at her home in Phoenix. Grewal's arranged marriage with Kaur was a strained one. According to detectives, Kaur's friends said she was scared of Grewal and that though the couple lived apart (Grewal lived in Canada), he tried to control her every move. When she tried to file for divorce, he flew down to Phoenix and allegedly stabbed, suffocated, bludgeoned, and drowned her, then tried to kill himself, but failed.
[.....]
Of the 63 potential jurors, two were immediately eliminated because they said they could not fluently understand or speak English. When Judge Dean Fink asked who is unable to serve due to pre-existing travel arrangements, health issues, being a dependent's primary caregiver, or other serious conflicts, nearly every hand in the room shot up.
[.....]
Grewal has pleaded not guilty. Martinez sought the death penalty in the case, but in 2016, Judge Dean Fink ruled under seal that the death penalty be dropped.

Since Grewal was extradited to the United States, his attorneys have argued that prosecutors violated his constitutional rights when federal agents seized three binders of docum.
[.....]
His attorneys have also alleged that Grewal is not competent to stand trial. Though a prior judge refused their request to transfer Grewal to a psychiatric hospital in Mesa, it appears Grewal's alleged mental health problems did play a role in the current judge, Judge Fink's, decision to drop the death penalty. Grewal did file a rambling, incoherent pro se lawsuit from prison alleging that his attorneys weren't helping him, that he was losing his mind, and that he's being denied his right to practice his religion, which he says is the only thing that keeps him sane.

Juan Martinez Still Prosecuting Murder Cases Despite Seven Misconduct Complaints

A lot more in article.

from court site:

Date Description Party
6/10/2019 Trial 3

6/6/2019 Trial 5

6/4/2019 Trial D 2

6/3/2019 Trial 5

6/3/2019 Trial P 1

5/24/2019 005 - ME: Hearing

link: Public Access Case Lookup

@pocketaccent - do you happened to know "what" his charges are? Can't find them anywhere on the court site. TIA!
Charged with 1st degree murder and burglary in the 2007 death of his wife Navneet Kaur. Extradited from India in 2011.

The Judicial Branch of Arizona in Maricopa County -

More than 12 years after Avtar Grewal allegedly killed his wife and fled to India, 63 potential jurors packed into a small courtroom on West Jefferson Street. Monday's jury selection marked the start of Grewal's long-awaited trial following his extradition from India and years of back-and-forth motions, status conferences, and hearings delaying the case.

It also marked the beginning of another months-long, high-profile murder case for Deputy Maricopa County Attorney Juan Martinez, who has been the subject of at least seven bar complaints in the past four years. Many of the complaints involve Martinez's actions during the trial of Jodi Arias, who was convicted of the first-degree murder of her boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in May 2013.
[.....]
On March 30, 2007, Grewal allegedly brutally murdered his wife, 30-year-old Navneet Kaur, at her home in Phoenix. Grewal's arranged marriage with Kaur was a strained one. According to detectives, Kaur's friends said she was scared of Grewal and that though the couple lived apart (Grewal lived in Canada), he tried to control her every move. When she tried to file for divorce, he flew down to Phoenix and allegedly stabbed, suffocated, bludgeoned, and drowned her, then tried to kill himself, but failed.
[.....]
Of the 63 potential jurors, two were immediately eliminated because they said they could not fluently understand or speak English. When Judge Dean Fink asked who is unable to serve due to pre-existing travel arrangements, health issues, being a dependent's primary caregiver, or other serious conflicts, nearly every hand in the room shot up.
[.....]
Grewal has pleaded not guilty. Martinez sought the death penalty in the case, but in 2016, Judge Dean Fink ruled under seal that the death penalty be dropped.

Since Grewal was extradited to the United States, his attorneys have argued that prosecutors violated his constitutional rights when federal agents seized three binders of docum.
[.....]
His attorneys have also alleged that Grewal is not competent to stand trial. Though a prior judge refused their request to transfer Grewal to a psychiatric hospital in Mesa, it appears Grewal's alleged mental health problems did play a role in the current judge, Judge Fink's, decision to drop the death penalty. Grewal did file a rambling, incoherent pro se lawsuit from prison alleging that his attorneys weren't helping him, that he was losing his mind, and that he's being denied his right to practice his religion, which he says is the only thing that keeps him sane.

Juan Martinez Still Prosecuting Murder Cases Despite Seven Misconduct Complaints

A lot more in article.

I'd love to read the defense motions about the allegedly improper seizure of those binders & papers. It would be very problematic if the State is indeed profiting from access to material that is protected by attorney-client privilege.

Also looking forward to hearing JM's arguments about Grewal's mental state at the time of the murder, especially since the State seems to be acknowledging that for at least some stretch time afterwards, Grewal wasn't competent to stand trial.

I'd love to read the defense motions about the allegedly improper seizure of those binders & papers. It would be very problematic if the State is indeed profiting from access to material that is protected by attorney-client privilege.

Also looking forward to hearing JM's arguments about Grewal's mental state at the time of the murder, especially since the State seems to be acknowledging that for at least some stretch time afterwards, Grewal wasn't competent to stand trial.

Woohoo! H4M is baaack! Me too!

Three comments:

1. JM is very used to addressing mental state at time of crime, not because of JA's fake fog, but because IIRC he won the conviction for the guy who said he was sleep walking when he killed his wife.

2. What would happen if documents could be seized legally in India, but not the US? Would it be okay for US prosecution to have access?

3. I would love to see the latest iteration of Janine Whatshername weigh in on the mental state. Hope she's in this.

I want to make what I think is an important point up front.

Media seems to imply that an "arranged marriage" is a harbinger of trouble. And they can't wrap their heads around parents arranging a marriage for their adult children. I guess they assume it'll be clickbait.

Actually, it's culturally insensitive, xenophobic, Hindu- or Islamophobic, and I don't know what else....

I have many women friends who are in VERY SUCCESSFUL arranged marriages. They are extremely well-partnered. Several are also professionally very successful (this is a cultural thing, not a class thing), with very supportive husbands. Things have turned out way better than in many "love-marriages" I've encountered.

So, please, let's not buy into the whole idea that arranged marriage might from the get-go indicate something problematic about this particular murder/victim pairing, destined, as it were, for catastrophe.

Thanks in advance for taking this in.

Can you believe this case started on 3/30/07 and did not get into the courts until 9/21/2011. Waited 4 years for extradition, I'm guessing...

from court since May 26th:

Docket:

Filing Date Description Docket Date Filing Party
5/30/2019 REL - Reply - Party (001) 5/30/2019
NOTE: REPLY TO SUPPLEMENTAL RESPONSE TO STATES MOTION IN LIMINE TO PRECLUDE TESTIMONY REGARDING DIAGNOSIS OF ASPERGERS SYNDROME OR BEING ON THE AUTISM SPECTRUM

5/29/2019 029 - ME: Status Conference - Party (001) 5/29/2019

5/28/2019 RES - Response - Party (001) 5/29/2019
NOTE: Supplemental Response to States Motion in limine to preclude Testimony Regarding Diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome or Being on the Autism Spectrum

link: Criminal Court Case Information - Case History

and the trial is still a go for Monday, 6/3.

Anyone know IF this going to be streamed? Any tweeters?

TIA! :)

I don't mind doing tweets
animated-smileys-computer-10.gif

They want to make Aspergers a mental condition that might compel a person to kill another? Oh, gosh, where to begin on that one?

This is as nonsensical as JA’s fog thing. I wonder if we’ll see a do-over on transient global amnesia?

Yeppers, the case definitely needs Dr Janine. Can anyone remember her last name? I feel I’m being disrespectful without it.

They want to make Aspergers a mental condition that might compel a person to kill another? Oh, gosh, where to begin on that one?

This is as nonsensical as JA’s fog thing. I wonder if we’ll see a do-over on transient global amnesia?

Yeppers, the case definitely needs Dr Janine. Can anyone remember her last name? I feel I’m being disrespectful without it.

DeMarte. :)))

Monday, June 3rd:
*Trial set to begin (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor
Extradited from India to U.S. (9/14/11).
Trial starts 6/3/19. Jury is 8 people. Trial should last about 3 months.

New Juanettes:

6a00e54fbb349788340148c7388ce2970c-800wi
6a00e54fbb349788340148c7388ce2970c-800wi

Can you believe this case started on 3/30/07 and did not get into the courts until 9/21/2011. Waited 4 years for extradition, I'm guessing...

from court since May 26th:

Docket:

Filing Date Description Docket Date Filing Party
5/30/2019 REL - Reply - Party (001) 5/30/2019
NOTE: REPLY TO SUPPLEMENTAL RESPONSE TO STATES MOTION IN LIMINE TO PRECLUDE TESTIMONY REGARDING DIAGNOSIS OF ASPERGERS SYNDROME OR BEING ON THE AUTISM SPECTRUM

5/29/2019 029 - ME: Status Conference - Party (001) 5/29/2019

5/28/2019 RES - Response - Party (001) 5/29/2019
NOTE: Supplemental Response to States Motion in limine to preclude Testimony Regarding Diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome or Being on the Autism Spectrum

link: Criminal Court Case Information - Case History

and the trial is still a go for Monday, 6/3.

((Hi Niner! ))

I've been reading up on the backstory to this case. Yep, an extradition battle delayed Grewal's arraignment for years.

Grewal was arrested immediately after he fled to India following the murder. Literally. As soon as he stepped off the plane.

Grewal fought extradiction up to India's Supreme Court, on the sole grounds that he would likely face the DP if returned to the US. Sadly for Grewal, India also has the DP. So, that argument didn't fly; only he did, back to the US.

Some of the other delays (between 2011-2015) were likely caused by the same systemwide backup/logjam in AZ's courts that postponed 's (Arias) trial for years. I'm looking up next whatever I can find about the legal wrangling related to Grewal's mental state, which perhaps contributed to the mothballing of his case.

(BTW- have you found any Twitter sources for the trial?)

Woohoo! H4M is baaack! Me too!

Three comments:

1. JM is very used to addressing mental state at time of crime, not because of JA's fake fog, but because IIRC he won the conviction for the guy who said he was sleep walking when he killed his wife.

2. What would happen if documents could be seized legally in India, but not the US? Would it be okay for US prosecution to have access?

3. I would love to see the latest iteration of Janine Whatshername weigh in on the mental state. Hope she's in this.

((Hi Rickshaw!)

About your question #2 and the 3 binders.

I found & read an AZ appeal record relating to the binders. To summarize:

1. Grewal had the 3 binders in his possession when 2 FBI agents (and others?) met him in India, at the airport, the day of his extradition to the US.

2. Grewal was not allowed to keep the binders in his possession.

3. Grewal insisted- repeatedly- upon reading the contents of the binders to FBI agent Wilson.

4. Wilson testified that Grewal read all of binder #1 to him, and that Grewal would have read both other binders outloud if time had permitted.

5. Binder #1 contained what Wilson described as a full confession of the murder by Grewal.

6. Grewal handed over all 3 binders to Wilson, either in India at the airport or en route to the US.

7. Grewal later asserted that he requested Wilson turn over the binders to Grewal's attorney(s), though it seems unclear if any such attorneys had yet been secured. Wilson testified Grewal had not made this request, but instead had simply asked Wilson to keep the binders "safe."

8. Shortly after Grewal's return to the US, an attorney for Grewal claimed that the content of the binders was covered by attorney-client privilege, demanded that the binders be returned to Grewal immediately, and argued that LE/the State not be allowed access to the binders' content.

9. A Maricopa Superior judge ruled in Grewal's favor twice: in 2011, and again, upon reconsideration of that ruling, in 2012, both times on the grounds that the binders were indeed protected by AC privilege.

10. The State appealed these lower court rulings, and prevailed. The appellate Court ruled the binders weren't protected by privilege, not least because Grewal, even when explicitly given the opportunity in court, could/would not provide any evidence that what he wrote in the binders was prepwork he intended to provide his attorneys (Indian or American).

Grewal's case for privilege was also undermined (destroyed?) by his proactive, freely chosen insistence upon sharing the binders' content with persons he knew to be US law enforcement.

(PS: From reading Grewal's Maricopa County court docket, it looks like he is trying to prevent agent Wilson from testifying at trial).

Last edited:
No I have not... nothing coming up. I have Navneet's name in my Google alert - his also. But what is coming up for her name is some actress...

Thanks. I've searched too, no luck. FWIW, I'm not sure the trial itself is set to begin today. A notation of "trial" on the Superior's Court docket sometimes refers to hearings, etc. that are in common sense language still pre-trial, and it looks like the Aspergers motion (at least) hasn't been decided yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back