UT UT- STILL MISSING 5 -Year-Old Elizabeth Shelley , Logan, 25 May 2019 (UNCLE ARRESTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be my guess, too.
They seem to be spending a lot of time searching the home. I'm wondering if the crime occurred there and he hid the body very close by or even in the house or on the property.

There is a large landfill complex with compost piles and lots of weird little ponds within walking distance to the west of the home. It's also very close to the Cache County Sheriff's office and jail complex.... Where he might have resided before in prior arrests.

And farther west of that area is a very convoluted segment of the Logan River, lots of short hairpin bends and tree cover

Last edited:
That would be my guess, too.
They seem to be spending a lot of time searching the home. I'm wondering if the crime occurred there and he hid the body very close by or even in the house or on the property.
The more I think about, the more I think this is likely - assaulted and killed in the home and then "stuffed" somewhere - as opposed to in the water or under leaves, etc. Maybe in someone's garage, in a culvert, storage bin in a backyard, etc. I think she will be found in a small space.

Total speculation on my part - thinking aloud - not facts.

I just hope she is found before another night falls. The idea of her out there alone is so sad - and I can't imagine what it's like for the family to be waiting. My heart breaks for them.

jmo

I only see one warrant at the "mugshot" site and its for "failure to appear" which is the warrant he was arrested on early this morning.

The site you linked shows multiple charges on 5/8/2018 but these are not convictions. Is there another link for the warrants you cite above for drugs and theft charges? Thanks!

The failure to appear warrants were for violating probation/parole on the theft/drug charges.

Several of us checked the actual warrants before he was arrested and saw them. Once the person has been arrested the warrant is recalled and doesn't show up anymore.

Here the theft is mentioned and driving under the influence. LE has absolutely mentioned his drug history but I have to run so can someone else link it.

Police arrest prime suspect in Logan girl’s disappearance

Whipple was booked late Saturday night into the Cache County Jail on a bench warrant, issued out of Salt Lake County, for violating his probation in a felony theft case. He is being held on $25,000 bond.

Last edited:
The more I think about, the more I think this is likely - assaulted and killed in the home and then "stuffed" somewhere - as opposed to in the water or under leaves, etc. Maybe in someone's garage, in a culvert, storage bin in a backyard, etc. I think she will be found in a small space.

Total speculation on my part - thinking aloud - not facts.

I just hope she is found before another night falls. The idea of her out there alone is so sad - and I can't imagine what it's like for the family to be waiting. My heart breaks for them.

jmo
I also think he killed her in that house.

It was likely dark, and he appears to have been on foot, so the challenge would have been finding a place to put her.

He probably couldn’t have taken her a long distance, so he would have focused on finding a spot where she wouldn’t be found.

In a shed, under some object, water, brush, anything is possible really.

They’ll find her, it’s just a matter of how soon.

@oceanblueeyes I can't believe people are still doing meth, and it is still as lucrative as ever. Twenty years ago, the epidemic was just starting, and the results so devastating.

The entire meth-head culture is destructive. The crimes they commit are heinous. You are probably right, meth driven.

Only $25,000 bond. I don't see anyone lined up to get him out.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46559827/search-continues-for-5-year-old-girl-after-uncle-located

Information about where and how Whipple was found was not immediately available. Budge said Whipple is "not being that cooperative" but police found items of clothing with him that lead them to believe Elizabeth was with him.

"The unfortunate thing is that we have all the adults accounted for so obviously (the) conclusion is that she's in a lot of danger," Budge said.

Uncle of missing girl booked into jail on warrant; 'main suspect' in girl's disappearance

The girl’s disappearance coincides with when he left the home, sometime between 2 a.m. and 9 a.m. on Saturday.

He is a convicted felon who was sentenced to prison after engaging in a police pursuit in a stolen truck while intoxicated, Sept. 17, 2017.

His prison sentence was suspended and he was placed on probation for 5 years. The FTA warrant was issued on April 29, 2019, for his failure to comply with probation.

Searchers did find clues of “evidentiary value” near the girl’s home that police say indicate she’s likely nearby

Officials are asking the public to stay out of the area, which is between 300 South and 100 North and 300 West and 600 West in Logan.

Police arrest prime suspect in Logan girl’s disappearance

Around 3:00 p.m. officers found Whipple, however Shelley was not with him. He reportedly had some of the girl’s clothing in his possession and was taken into custody for questioning.

Salt Lake County court records show Whipple had a warrant issued for his arrest last month, for violating his probation. In January 2018, he was convicted of felony theft, failing to stop at the command of law enforcement and driving under the influence.

Police continue search efforts for missing Logan girl, uncle booked into jail on warrant

Logan City Police posted an update to Facebook Sunday morning:

Logan City Police Department
7 hours ago
The FBI and local agencies worked through the night finishing search warrants and following up on leads. The main suspect Alex Whipple continued to be uncooperative and was booked into the Cache County Jail on an FTA warrant for absconding from probation. Search teams are again out this morning as we continue to look for 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley. Thank you again for your assistance in staying out of the area. We know there are many who want to help and there are some who think they are helping by posting their concern about the perceived lack of details of this investigation. They do not have all the information because we cannot release everything pertinent to this investigation. There are many agencies in a coordinated effort working around the clock and will continue to work until she is found. We will update Facebook as information becomes available.

Elizabeth was last seen wearing a red tank top with blue ruffles and either blue jeans or a teal colored plaid skirt. She is also described as 3′ 6″ tall with brown, shoulder length hair and brown eyes.

Uncle 'uncooperative' as search continues for missing 5-year-old | East Idaho News

Elizabeth Shelley was last seen by her mother at 2 a.m. Saturday when she went to bed, according to the Logan Police Department. The girl’s uncle, Alex Whipple, showed up at the home as they were going to bed. Both Elizabeth and Whipple, 21, were missing when the rest of the household woke up around 10 a.m.

Logan Police also stated they are aware of comments made by concerned citizens but they are not releasing “everything pertinent to this investigation” yet.

5-year-old girl missing, uncle in custody: Police

Elizabeth Jessica Shelley hasn't been seen since Saturday at 2 a.m., according to the Logan City Police Department. She was with Alex Whipple, her mom's brother, when she vanished, the department's captain, Tyson Budge, said.

He is being held on $250,000 bond, according to the Cache County Sheriff's Office's website. [according to this link the bond amount is $25,000 Uncle of missing girl booked into jail on warrant; 'main suspect' in girl's disappearance ]

Whipple has not been formally arrested in connection with Elizabeth's disappearance, but Budge told ABC News authorities are "pretty confident" he had something to do with it. A burner phone Whipple was allegedly using was among the evidence found at the girl's home, allegedly linking him to her disappearance, according to Budge.

Elizabeth's parents reported the incident to police at 10 a.m. Saturday.

addition to Logan City police, the search for the little girl includes the sheriff's office, the FBI and the county's search and rescue unit. A helicopter has been deployed, too, Budge said.

SEARCH INTENSIFIES FOR MISSING 5-YEAR-OLD GIRL WHILE UNCLE REMAINS IN POLICE CUSTODY
The search eventually included FBI agents with experience in child abduction cases who volunteered to assist in the search, Budge said.

The search for Shelley was highly methodical, with multiple search teams going door-to-door, talking with residents and obtaining their permission to search homes, garages and sheds inside and out in a multi-block radius surrounding the family’s home.

Additional volunteers carefully searched a canal located in the vicinity, with no apparent results. Only the family home and the Bear River Charter School have been marked with police tape, although late in the afternoon several streets in the area were blocked off.

Last edited:
Family members told police Elizabeth Shelley, of Logan, was last seen at 2 a.m. on Saturday when her mother went to bed. When she woke up at about 9:30 a.m., Elizabeth was gone, as was her uncle, Alex Whipple, 21, who had visited the house Friday night, the Logan Police Department said. Logan is about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City.

Whipple, who police have said is the main suspect, was later found walking around the northern Utah city alone and was arrested Saturday.

Search continues for missing 5-year-old Utah girl, uncle in custody

When the sun went down Saturday night, there was still no sign of a five-year-old girl who was last seen in her Logan home in the early morning hours Saturday.

Logan City Police say Elizabeth Jessica Shelley and her uncle, 21-year-old Alexander Whipple, were reported missing at about 10 a.m. Saturday morning. Whipple, who was detained by Cache County Sheriff's deputies just after 3 p.m. that day, is not cooperating with the investigation, and for now, he has been booked into jail on a probation hold, Capt. Tyson Budge said.

“We will work tirelessly through the night and more officers will replace us in the morning — we will not stop until we find Elizabeth,” Budge said. “We will maintain hope for her safety and use everything in our power to locate her.”
Suspect apprehended in Logan girl's disappearance; police search neighborhood for child

I suppose so. It makes more sense that he returned home thinking about predatory sex, so he targeted his niece - but why was she wearing blue jeans?

She was a 5 year old who was put to bed at 2AM.
Where was she before that time? Obviously 5 year olds should be in bed at 7PM.

Trying to make my way through all the posts so excuse me if this has been addressed...

Mother of 3 here. Never had my 5 year olds in bed by 7pm unless one of them conked out by some act of God. Not even by 8. Sometimes we were lucky if they were IN bed by 9. There's no rule book that says a child of that age HAS to be asleep by a certain time. There is advice out there, and you can choose to follow it or not. Many do not. We didn't.

And re: the blue jeans. I remember how, in the first few years, it was all cute pajamas with matching tops and houseshoes. Once 4 and 5 rolled around, though, it was a grab something blindly out of the drawer and hope you got both a top and a bottom and if you didn't, well, there's always tomorrow. And if one of our kids fell asleep before they went to bed then the whole house shut down: nobody wakes the kid. Put them to bed as is. Jeans aren't comfortable to sleep in, though. I can't see even a kid sleeping in them by choice, although my daughter wore the same purple Wellies, including in bed and in the shower, for 5 months straight when she was 3.

Please watch for any suspicious items on your property. If anything is found do not touch it and call dispatch immediately.

Also any residences or businesses with outdoor cameras please review footage for suspicious activity between the hours of 10am and 4pm.

Dispatch: (435)753-7555

Logan City Police Department

Last edited:
https://www.ksl.com/article/46559827/search-continues-for-5-year-old-girl-after-uncle-located

Information about where and how Whipple was found was not immediately available. Budge said Whipple is "not being that cooperative" but police found items of clothing with him that lead them to believe Elizabeth was with him.

"The unfortunate thing is that we have all the adults accounted for so obviously (the) conclusion is that she's in a lot of danger," Budge said.

Uncle of missing girl booked into jail on warrant; 'main suspect' in girl's disappearance

The girl’s disappearance coincides with when he left the home, sometime between 2 a.m. and 9 a.m. on Saturday.

He is a convicted felon who was sentenced to prison after engaging in a police pursuit in a stolen truck while intoxicated, Sept. 17, 2017.

His prison sentence was suspended and he was placed on probation for 5 years. The FTA warrant was issued on April 29, 2019, for his failure to comply with probation.

Searchers did find clues of “evidentiary value” near the girl’s home that police say indicate she’s likely nearby

Officials are asking the public to stay out of the area, which is between 300 South and 100 North and 300 West and 600 West in Logan.
It's hard to believe he was able to avoid going to prison and was instead given probation without even having to go to rehab. or do any community service. Imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members