Niki Lauda, Austrian Formula 1 legend, dies at 70

Keine Engel

Former Member
Reaction score
Niki Lauda, Austrian Formula 1 legend, dies at 70
690.jpg
"Three-time Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda has died at the age of 70.

Lauda, who underwent a lung transplant in August, "passed away peacefully" on Monday, his family said.

The legendary Austrian, one of the best-known figures in motor racing, took the title for Ferrari in 1975 and 1977 and McLaren in 1984.

skysports-niki-lauda-obit-obituary_4674895.jpg

Austrian F1 legend Niki Lauda dies at 70

As a spectator, I first saw Niki Lauda race at the Long Beach Grand Prix in 1977. He was newly recovered from his horrific crash and gave Mario Andretti a great battle. Niki went on to win the F1 championship that year.

Years later as a professional sports car racing official I saw him at the US Grand Prix in Phoenix, where he was still popular, though retired from racing. He was always a class act and an inspiration to many.

RIP Niki. A life cut short too soon.

:rose:

Last edited:
As a spectator, I first saw Niki Lauda race at the Long Beach Grand Prix in 1977. He was newly recovered from his horrific crash and gave Mario Andretti a great battle. Niki went on to win the F1 championship that year...

:eek: OH WOW !!
How supa-cool is that.
giphy.gif

That really was the 'Golden Age of Racing'
(I'm so jealous ;) lol)

...I saw him at the US Grand Prix in Phoenix, where he was still popular, though retired from racing. He was always a class act and an inspiration to many.

He was still hugely popular & very much actively involved in F1*
(thou unfortunately not behind the wheel ;))
He was 'Non-Executive Chairman' at Mercedes.
"And the Mercedes man had a key role to play in bringing Lewis Hamilton to the team from McLaren back in 2013.
Hamilton has since gone on to become a household name and is a five-time F1 world champion."
Niki-Lauda-and-Lewis-Hamilton-430x277.jpg

"Niki Lauda is not only a racing legend but the no-nonsense Non-Executive Chairman of Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd.

A three-time Formula One World Champion behind the wheel in 1975, 1977 and 1984, Niki has added a four more titles to his tally since his appointment to the position of Non-Executive Chairman of Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd. in September 2012."

*for US non-motorsport fans - F1 racing is HUGE here in Europe
Smiley%2BWink%2BEmoji.jpg

Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes car to honour Niki Lauda at Monaco Grand Prix with special livery

"The Mercedes cars of Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas will lead the tributes to Niki Lauda at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix..."
"'We haven't just lost a hero who staged the most remarkable comeback ever seen but also a man who brought clarity and candour to modern Formula One.

'Our Mercedes team has also lost a guiding light. As a team-mate over the past six and a half years, Niki was always brutally honest and utterly loyal.'"

- Toto Wolff
(Mercedes Team Principal)
Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes car to honour Niki Lauda at Monaco Grand Prix | Daily Mail Online

For those of you with access to Netflix, there's a great series called Formula One: Drive to Survive. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'm glad they're going to honor Lauda at Monaco this weekend.

I'm glad they're going to honor Lauda at Monaco this weekend.
F1 will pay tribute to late Niki Lauda at Monaco GP
"Formula One will honour Niki Lauda at this weekend's showcase Monaco Grand Prix, with teams and drivers on Wednesday still coming to terms with the triple world champion's death...

A Formula One spokesman said a tribute was in the works, with details to be confirmed. Others said a minute's silence was planned for before the race."

"Photographs and television footage of Lauda's famous 1976 duel with rival and eventual champion James Hunt were being played constantly on screens in the Ferrari and Mercedes hospitality units."

F1 will pay tribute to late Niki Lauda at Monaco GP

;) This is a great movie for anyone interested.
RUSH
"Rush is a 2013 biographical sports film centred on the Hunt–Lauda rivalry between two Formula One drivers, the British James Hunt and the Austrian Niki Lauda during the 1976 Formula 1 motor-racing season."
latest

Niki-Lauda-and-Ron-Howard.jpg

Rush (2013 film) - Wikipedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member