Identified! FL - Suwannee Co, WhtMale, 25-40, Remains on I-75 near CR 136, Apr'90 - n/a

JasonFutchLakeCityFL

Former Member
Reaction score
GetImage.asp
GetImage.asp

SUWANNEE COUNTY, FLORIDA JOHN DOE
Found April 26th, 1990
Near White Springs, FL
On April 26th, 1990 a motorist on I-75 contacted the Columbia County Sheriffs Office to report a dead body that had been seen laying on the side of the road, while an officer with the Florida Agricultural Law Enforcement was standing over it. The same Ag Officer that was seen observing the body had also called in to report the dead body of a male lying on the side of the road. The body had been located just a half mile south of County Road 136, near White Springs, which is located in Columbia County.

The Suwannee County Sheriffs Office reported to the scene due to jurisdiction rights, as well as the FDLE, and saw the body laying on its back with his head propped up against a fence that bordered some property.

Few details are available in this case, however what is known is that he was wearing a pair of blue jeans and a pair of blue shoes with a gray shirt. He a $2 in his pants pockets, but no form of identification. There was traces of blood found in his nose and mouth. He was estimated to have been dead between 12-18 hours.

he FBI currently have possession of a good quality fingerprint card on the John Doe, whereas Suwannee County Sheriff's Office has a poor quality copy. His teeth appeared to be in good condition, though tooth #17 and #32 appeared to be tilted mesially.

He is estimated to have been 5'10", weighed 166 lbs, and was between the ages of 25-40 years old.

Individuals with information about this John Doe is asked to contact Investigator Chris Lee of the Suwannee County Sheriffs Office at 386-688-1751 or at Chris.Lee@SuwanneeSheriff.com. Additionally, one can also contact the FDLE Missing Persons Clearinghouse at 1-888-FL-MISSING (356-4774).

MEDICAL EXAMINER CASE #1990-00509
SUWANNEE COUNTY SHERIFFS CASE NUMBER: 90-0855
NCIC: U310000448

Hi, I see that we've talked already.

I did not know that blood was found in his nose and mouth. I am not sure what could have caused that, considering no signs of trauma were found and no drugs were found in his system. However, abuse of inhalants (like everyday aerosols you can find in any store) can be fatal, is difficult to track via drug testing and can cause nosebleeds.

In my opinion, I'm leaning towards the idea that died of natural causes, but I'm assuming that the autopsy failed to show any sort of respiratory or other diseases like tuberculosis or severe bronchitis / pneumonia that could explain this.

Hi, I see that we've talked already.

I did not know that blood was found in his nose and mouth. I am not sure what could have caused that, considering no signs of trauma were found and no drugs were found in his system. However, abuse of inhalants (like everyday aerosols you can find in any store) can be fatal, is difficult to track via drug testing and can cause nosebleeds.

In my opinion, I'm leaning towards the idea that died of natural causes, but I'm assuming that the autopsy failed to show any sort of respiratory or other diseases like tuberculosis or severe bronchitis / pneumonia that could explain this.
Perhaps! I’ve been researching this case the last few days and am waiting on word from SCSO to proceed with a project involving this case. Redgrave Research intends to re-do this John Doe’s facial reconstruction and may also be a candidate for DDP should he have a good DNA profile.

Alan Keith Stanfill
  • alan_keith_stanfill_1.jpg
Stanfill, circa 1988

• Missing Since: 01/13/1988
  • Missing From: Jacksonville, Florida
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth: 06/05/1963 (55)
  • Height and Weight: 6'0, 120 - 140 pounds
  • Medical Conditions: Stanfill may be suffering from amnesia.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Stanfill has a scar on his left wrist.
Details of Disappearance
Stanfill was last seen in Jacksonville, Florida on January 13, 1988. He left Northeast Florida State Hospital, a state mental hospital, without authorization and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency
  • Baker County Sheriff's Office 904-259-2231
Source Information
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 12, 2014; name corrected, details of disappearance updated.

Alan Keith Stanfill – The Charley Project

-------------------------------
I did a search of NamUS with the following criteria:
Male
DOB 1944 - 1970 (20-46 at time of SCJD's recovery)
Missing from Florida or Georgia
Height 5'8 to 6'2
Brown, gray, or hazel eyes

I got 41 or so hits, and Alan Stanfill is the one I found to be the most likely.

• If I recall correctly, he went missing from the closest location to Live Oak / White Springs out of any of the people in the search results; Jacksonville is only about an hour away. NamUS states he disappeared from Macclenny in Baker County, very close to Suwannee County and bordering with Columbia County.
  • Height is not extremely off
  • Eye and hair color match
  • Age matches
  • Problems: no mention of scar on SCJD's wrist, weight is significantly off (although there is a 2+ year discrepancy)
However, I still think this is definitely a bit of a reach and that it's more likely that SCJD "fell through the cracks" and was never reported missing.

Here are the exclusions:

Name (last seen, state)
James Skelton (1986, TX)
Ricky Olsen (1975, FL)
Daniel Goldman (1966, FL)
Bobby Clyatt (1964, FL)
Kenneth Gautier (1975, FL)
Craig Alexander (1985, VT)
Walter Ackerson (1990, FL)
David Thomson (1979, MN)
John Davidson (1965, AZ)

Also, I'm not sure how accurate either of those reconstructions are, but he looks quite young in the second one, certainly a lot younger than 40.

Alan Keith Stanfill
Stanfill, circa 1988

• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Stanfill has a scar on his left wrist.
Details of Disappearance
Stanfill was last seen in Jacksonville, Florida on January 13, 1988. He left Northeast Florida State Hospital, a state mental hospital, without authorization and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 12, 2014; name corrected, details of disappearance updated.

Male
Height 5'8 to 6'2

I got 41 or so hits, and Alan Stanfill is the one I found to be the most likely.

• If I recall correctly, he went missing from the closest location to Live Oak / White Springs out of any of the people in the search results; Jacksonville is only about an hour away. NamUS states he disappeared from Macclenny in Baker County, very close to Suwannee County and bordering with Columbia County.
  • Age matches
  • Problems: no mention of scar on SCJD's wrist, weight is significantly off (although there is a 2+ year discrepancy)
However, I still think this is definitely a bit of a reach and that it's more likely that SCJD "fell through the cracks" and was never reported missing.

Very interesting! I think I will look into this a bit more, especially considering the circumstances. Even if it’s a reach, it’s still a possibility!

Here are the exclusions:

Name (last seen, state)
James Skelton (1986, TX)
Ricky Olsen (1975, FL)
Daniel Goldman (1966, FL)
Bobby Clyatt (1964, FL)
Kenneth Gautier (1975, FL)
Craig Alexander (1985, VT)
Walter Ackerson (1990, FL)
David Thomson (1979, MN)
John Davidson (1965, AZ)

Also, I'm not sure how accurate either of those reconstructions are, but he looks quite young in the second one, certainly a lot younger than 40.

As for the reconstructions, I think they may be a bit off. Thankfully, I should be getting a PM photo of this John Doe soon for Mr. Redgrave to do his reconstruction. I’ll def know how the photo looks compared to the sketches then.

UPDATE:

I spoke with Sgt. Chris Lee of the CCSO regarding this case earlier in the week. I was informed that they would not utilize Redgrave's services to redo the reconstruction of the SCJD. Additionally, I found out that this John Doe DOES NOT have DNA on file for this case.

UPDATE:

I spoke with Sgt. Chris Lee of the CCSO regarding this case earlier in the week. I was informed that they would not utilize Redgrave's services to redo the reconstruction of the SCJD. Additionally, I found out that this John Doe DOES NOT have DNA on file for this case.

I saw that you posted this announcement on UW as well. The lack of DNA in particular is a major roadblock. Very odd, considering he appeared to have died not long before being discovered.

The inability to create a new reconstruction directly using the postmortem is obviously a problem, too. The two reconstructions don't look that much alike, in my opinion, which is really strange, considering they are intended to depict someone who (once again) had just died. A reconstruction made using the PM as a base, rather than just a reference point, would be really helpful, in my opinion.

The hairstyles depicted in the two reconstructions are significantly different, and I wonder which hairstyle is closer to what SCJD was actually wearing when he died. It looks like he is wearing a mullet in the left reconstruction (the one that makes him look a little heavier).

One of the issues that an artist has to deal with when doing a reconstruction is trying to figure out whether the postmortem photo actually looked like the person might have looked in real life. Even if there's no facial trauma, there can be swelling and distortion from, for instance, the position the body was lying in or just the fact of death. So different artists can look at the same postmortem photo and come up with quite different results.

I took a class that covered some if this a while back. The instructor had us attempt a reconstruction. It was a humbling experience--and I consider myself a fairly decent sketch artist.

One of the issues that an artist has to deal with when doing a reconstruction is trying to figure out whether the postmortem photo actually looked like the person might have looked in real life. Even if there's no facial trauma, there can be swelling and distortion from, for instance, the position the body was lying in or just the fact of death. So different artists can look at the same postmortem photo and come up with quite different results.

I took a class that covered some if this a while back. The instructor had us attempt a reconstruction. It was a humbling experience--and I consider myself a fairly decent sketch artist.

He was found in a somewhat odd position. If I recall correctly, he was slumped up against a fence? Perhaps that had something to do with it. Nobody is sure how he died, but I agree that maybe the circumstances of his death could have altered his appearance, as well.

Edit: He was lying down next to a fence and his head was leaned up against it. That's strange.

He was found in a somewhat odd position. If I recall correctly, he was slumped up against a fence? Perhaps that had something to do with it. Nobody is sure how he died, but I agree that maybe the circumstances of his death could have altered his appearance, as well.

Edit: He was lying down next to a fence and his head was leaned up against it. That's strange.

Might have collapsed while trying to climb over it?

If his face was against the wires, that could have distorted his appearance considerably.

What would probably be helpful for people who want to assist in this case is if they can go ahead with releasing the PM photo. Perhaps, if what Sgt. Lee said is true, that the face was fresh and clean (minus some blood) then perhaps it would help. I know it’s a controversial position to take, but it could help in identifying him.

I know Florida has some laws regarding that, but I think it would be a good position to take.

If anyone lives in the Live Oak area, perhaps someone should put some flyers up around there and also in Columbia County. It could help! I've been doing that on another case much closer to my area in the Northwest and have been receiving positive feedback.

Alan Keith Stanfill
Stanfill, circa 1988

Details of Disappearance
Investigating Agency
Source Information

Male
Height 5'8 to 6'2

• Age matches

I have enough information to make this a possible match to the John Doe. I have submitted this case to SCSO, and hope to hear from them soon!

Good to hear about the Stanfill case. I wish we had better pictures of both him and SCJD so that a better facial comparison could be made.

I commute to university in Gainesville. I don't currently have classes and I do not live in Gainesville, but when classes resume for me in a few months, I'm planning on distributing a few fliers for this case at school. It's one of the few UID cases from that part of the state with a significant amount of information available online. It's not quite as close to Live Oak as Lake City, but I think it's close enough.

Speaking of which, I think that there's a good chance that SCJD could have ties to Gainesville, Lake City, Ocala, or Jacksonville. Southeast/south-central Georgia is a good possibility, too, in my opinion, but I

For some reason, I submitted the last post without finishing it. To continue what I was saying about southeast/south-central Georgia, I was gonna say that Live Oak isn't too far from the FL/GA border, but there really aren't any major cities in that I could think of in southern Georgia that SCJD might have known personally.

For some reason, I submitted the last post without finishing it. To continue what I was saying about southeast/south-central Georgia, I was gonna say that Live Oak isn't too far from the FL/GA border, but there really aren't any major cities in that I could think of in southern Georgia that SCJD might have known personally.
You gotta remember, South Georgia has Valdosta and Lake Park close to Live Oak. I grew up on the East Side of Live Oak ON C.R. 136 (or Duval Street in the city); where it was about a 35-40 minute drive to White Springs (but mainly that’s how we got ton Wellborn to see family). It was a straight shot and very rural. I personally think he has a connection to the area. Someone, unless you have obvious signs of foul play, don’t “just happen” to wind up in an area like White Springs. He either knew people there or had some familiarity with the area. I’ve been having a hard time thinking that he was a transient too for some reason. I don’t think he was

You gotta remember, South Georgia has Valdosta and Lake Park close to Live Oak. I grew up on the East Side of Live Oak ON C.R. 136 (or Duval Street in the city); where it was about a 35-40 minute drive to White Springs (but mainly that’s how we got ton Wellborn to see family). It was a straight shot and very rural. I personally think he has a connection to the area. Someone, unless you have obvious signs of foul play, don’t “just happen” to wind up in an area like White Springs. He either knew people there or had some familiarity with the area. I’ve been having a hard time thinking that he was a transient too for some reason. I don’t think he was

I do agree that the idea that he'd just ended up in the area is odd. If he wasn't native to the area, maybe he was looking for a long-lost family member or friend said to have been living there and ended up dying somehow in the process.

Speaking of dying, I know I've said it before, the lack of a cause of death or manner of death for SCJD is disconcerting and I feel like it limits how much we are able to say about him, his life, and what may have happened to him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back