OH - Large, destructive tornado strikes Dayton as severe storms slam state

blankenship

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ohio DOT uses snow plows to remove debris after tornado hits

DAYTON, Ohio — The Ohio Department of Transportation is using snow plows to remove debris off an Ohio highway after a “large and dangerous” tornado hit the area late Sunday.

Transportation spokesman Matt Bruning said its crews are using several plows to scrape debris off to the side of southbound Interstate 75, trying to get the highway reopened as soon as possible.
---
Trying to clear the debris in the middle of the night is a difficult task, complicated by darkness and downed power lines, Bruning said.

The National Weather Service confirmed Sunday night that a “large and dangerous tornado” hit near Trotwood, Ohio, outside of Dayton.

In Montgomery County, which includes Dayton, Sheriff Rob Streck is asking people to stay off the roads in areas affected by the storm. His office said many roads in those areas are impassable because of damage.
---
Trotwood is about 8 miles (12 kilometers) northwest of Dayton.​

Last edited:
Here’s a screenshot of the radar. I have never seen this before, and I watch a lot of tornadoes on radar. It was terrifying!
Me either! I listened to the scanner all night long and cannot believe there haven’t been any casualties. So many people were trapped and emergency vehicles couldn’t get through until the roads were cleared of debris.

It was a very dangerous situation for rescue workers also as there were live electrical wires down everywhere.

I'm 30 miles northeast of Dayton. We had 3 tornado warnings at one time. 2 until 11:15 and 1 until midnight, then the tornado watch until 2. We had no serious damage here. Thank God no fatalities reported so far.

BTW we live close to railroad tracks and a few minutes before the midnight warning expired, a train came through and I couldn't tell if it was a train or tornado. That train whistle never sounded as good as it did last night.

We had ominous skies here in NE Colorado early last evening and multiple funnels, I knew that to the East there was going to be damage. If there was no deaths that is a miracle. Looking at the radar image posted above, I agree, I live watching radar year after year during tornado season (April thru Sept) and I have never seen it like that, must have felt like the gates of hell opened up. My thoughts go out to those that lost everything yesterday, but feel blessed if no one perished. IMHO

Me either! I listened to the scanner all night long and cannot believe there haven’t been any casualties. So many people were trapped and emergency vehicles couldn’t get through until the roads were cleared of debris.

It was a very dangerous situation for rescue workers also as there were live electrical wires down everywhere.
I listened too, and will be again today. I’m afraid of what they’re finding now that it’s light out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back