Found Deceased UT-5 -Year-Old Elizabeth Shelley Found Deceased (UNCLE ARRESTED) #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ae147c3736

A man holds his head in his hands as police search for Elizabeth Shelley, 5, in the backyard of a home on Center Street in Logan, on Wednesday, May 29, 2019. Shelley was last seen on Saturday morning, May 25, 2019.
ae147c3736

39ea7d2631

LOGAN — The uncle of a missing 5-year-old girl finally broke his silence Wednesday.

Hours after he was charged with capital murder, he agreed to tell his attorney where his niece's body was hidden in exchange for an agreement that prosecutors would not pursue a potential death sentence against him.

Defense attorney Shannon Demler said he contacted Logan police about 1 p.m. Wednesday and led them to an area just half a block away from Lizzy's home where her remains were recovered behind a shed, covered by dirt, sticks and other debris.
[...]
The site is in an overgrown, heavily-wooded area near where other evidence had been found earlier in the week. "It's hard to believe that we'd been through that area and were unable to find her," Jensen said.

The remains have not yet been positively identified, but "we feel strongly that Lizzy has been found," the police chief said.
Missing girl's body recovered 1/2 block from her house

Thank you and everyone else for posting the photos and details of the case. I have the attention span of a gnat and don’t contribute much.

I’ve been trying to figure out why his attorneys name sounded familiar. Mr Demler represented one of the teenage boys who shot a female classmate in the back & head and left her to die.

Can I add to something that was talked about a little earlier (this is a very close to the heart subject for me) and I just think it's important for the future:

In most of these instances the women are victims as well. Threats, control, assault and battery. Even if one party has made poor choices, to blame the actual violent actions of the aggressor on the victim - it takes away the blame on the actual predator/perpetrator. Gaslighting is an actual thing and it happens to many people. I am willing to bet it happens in 9 out of ten of these cases. I wonder if AW had shown signs of mental health problems. I don't make much of his FB because it's so easy to post things we haven't thought through and it's a quick way to look for some attention of any kind. AW is a lot younger than most of us and younger generations use social media in a way that is hard to understand if you didn't grow up with it. Posting like he did is detached. It's passive. Not many people call on the phone anymore. They text and post. It's so hard to read properly when it's happening and so easy to read into a persons social media after something happens. A lot of people miss signs because they don't want to see them. I hope mental healthcare improves in the US and around the world very soon. The stigma still lingers.

That said, AW is 100% responsible for his actions and I don't see any reason he shouldn't have to face responsibility for them. I just wish for the victims sake, both Elizabeth and her family (losing a child at the hands of another family member?!) that AW wuld have had the opportunity and had access to mental healthcare. I don't know how I would deal if I were to go through this ordeal.

He had access to mental health treatment, but he stopped attending his court ordered substance abuse treatment. If a client in drug court classes appears to need more intensive treatment, he/she is offered services. In Salt Lake City, it is usually services from Valley Mental Health, that has comprehensive services for mentally ill, and substance abuse treatment. I am not sure of the providers in Cache Valley, but it is fairly similar.

AW made his own choices.

And because of Utah State University located in Logan, there are many graduate students in counseling, social work, doing internships and practicum hours, under a licensed provider. Logan probably has more access to mental health treatment for free per a person, than many other cities that size in the United States.

Last edited:
I wondered about that too but maybe it just means the rooms were close together and her bed was next to her bedroom door, which was close to her mom's door also. I'm not sure, though.
To me, ES bed located next to mom's bedroom door reads more like close proximity -- like she could see her if door was open. I don't believe ES slept in parent's bedroom. MOO

Ugh, heartbreaking, but I knew in my gut from the first post, that this is where we were headed. :( I don't understand. I don't understand blaming drugs, alcohol, blackouts. . . . I mostly keep company with healthy/wholesome people but I've known a couple of alcoholics, and one drug addict/alcoholic. They had plenty of blackouts. They have to date, never murdered anyone, let alone a small, helpless child.

He is a monster. There is no excuse for his behavior, his murder of this child. I don't care about any of his possible defenses - low IQ. Addiction. Bad childhood. *rolls eyes* Ok I'll need to stay quiet - but - while I'm proud that WS is a victim friendly site - this particular monster is not a victim. So I think I can say that I hope he receives a punishment that is sufficient to his monstrous actions. A little tiny girl. I have two daughters. I can't imagine staying out of prison if anyone had done something even close like this, to one of my beloved daughters. I'd be locked up, for sure - for assault of a monster.

I think they pressed him hard on that as far as leverage.

I don't think his new reality has sunk in yet.

His friends and family will be nothing as to what he knew previously.

If he felt rejection and pain before.... so much more is coming.

And once he tastes the life of 4 walls and solitude, I don't think he will be able to handle it.

MOO

Yes, if he hated his life before, where he had family and freedom. let him see what lies ahead.
He walked everywhere, now he will walk around his cell, and contemplate WHY.
Soon, I think, we'll have a report, that indicates, he did not handle this.
MOO.

Me too. I purposefully force myself to imagine/believe these children are surrounded by angels who take away all their fear and pain during their last moments.
That's very comforting. I followed a case years ago, the parent of the murdered child posted your same thought. Every day during the trial she would visualize her child surrounded by angels. It got her through some of the ugliness and heartbreak. I'll have to see if her FB posts are still up on the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson