Found Deceased CA - Jennifer Michelle Lorber, 30, (from Colorado) Malibu, 23 May 2019

I agree with you and think it is both premature and inappropriate to make assumptions about the relevance of her depression. The fact that every news story is leading with that potentially irrelevant "clue" is troubling. See below what I wrote in a missing thread about a young man Matthew Weaver who disappeared in Malibu last year. In my opinion, the lost hills sheriff's department has a pattern of making "victim blame"-themed statements that are counterproductive to soliciting the public's help. They did the same thing in the Elaine Park case two years ago and as a result, most locals (myself included) didn't hear about it until last summer during the tragic Malibu Park shooting of Tristan Beaudette. This is the same unit that was sued for making a mess of the Mitrice Richardson case and is now being sued because last 4th of July they responded to the scene of a brutal mugging along the PCH of a long time local resident and artist. The deputy *assumed* the beat up disoriented victim was homeless and dumped him off at the labor exchange where he would have died if not for good samaratins. See: Family Of Beaten Artist Sues Sheriff's Department - Canyon News As far as I know, no one has been arrested for that crime which occurred in the same area on a holiday weekend.

One of the challenges Malibu faces in terms of investigations is that it is a popular holiday and summer destination but has limited accommodation options so it can be hard to find witnesses after the fact. These early Press Releases do matter! People are more likely to pay attention and recall unbiased information if they aren't presented with a hopeless, forgone conculsion. Ubers, taxis, and cell reception are limited and drunk/high driving is a huge problem along the PCH. She could have been hit by a drunk driver and pitched into the brush, mugged walking to her car or accidentally drowned among other scenarios. In sum, regardless of whether Ms Lorber was depressed, there are still a range of possible dangers she may have encountered. My advice as a "local" to her family and friends is to be cognisentof the Lost Hills Sheriff's Department limitations and political motives. Since Jennifer is technically a resident of another state, perhaps the FBI can assist as well.

Quoting myself FROM Matthew Weaver's thread: "Another missing person in Malibu? Age 28-30. Possibly depressed but keep in mind that is the Malibu / LA County Sheriff department's default strategy to diminish public concern and cover their *advertiser censored**es. LE's focus should be on raising maximum awareness and locating the person - not steering their investigation according to potentially irrelevant assumptions using all capital letters...especially considering how often they have been wrong! Locals please spread the word on Jennifer Michelle Lorber."
I agree! Noticed the same thing about the "Depression" in every headline. Im not buying that she went there to die. My gut says, just the opposite. Agree about LE too.

I agree too. Jennifer was planning to meet two close friends (as per those friends' FBs, coincidentally I have a couple of mutual friends with one)) and she knows the area. I believe I also read that her grandparents live near Paradise Cove in one of the articles.

I would think, knowing the area, and having a car, she would go to a more secluded familiar place along the Malibu coast, or elsewhere, if she had thoughts of harming herself. I know one never knows what is in someone's mind, but at this point I don't believe it.

I also thought about tides, if she walked further along the beach, but it's said that she was seen coming up from the beach, right?
Where I live, on the other side of the South Bay (PVP), we've had a few drowning accidents, and falls, along the rocky coastline below (or off the cliffs) due to getting trapped in high tides or being thrown off rocks by unexpected waves. I'm not all that familiar with the areas within walking distance from Paradise Cove, but I don't think that's the case over there.

Hoping very much that Jennifer is found safe, and that there will be some sort of reasonable explanation for her disappearance. She appears to be a lovely young woman with close friends.

@whitelilac Her grandparents lived in Paradise Cove for more than 30 years however do not live there any longer. You are correct that she had plans to visit/stay with friends sometime in the weekend and early this week.
Yes, she walked the beach and cove for a time but was last seen coming up from the beach and going up a set of stairs just beside the Paradise Beach Cafe(if you come my posts you'll see a picture and description) this was more than an hour before her final phone contacts that night. Thank you we are as well and yes she is a very lovely and kind young woman. This is the new flyer her family made and that will begin to circulate tomorrow and for the time being.
61392043_691674661290641_8485483267988914176_n.jpg

My gut tells me that she did not purposefully go off into the Malibu surf to die. Details about her state of mind could be useful. People she knows in the immediate area. And the things she liked to do there? My immediate impression is that she is well liked and has friends in Malibu or may have talked to someone. I grew up nearby, live elsewhere, but return to that area periodically. It becomes part of you. There are various types of risky people that she may have encountered. Did Malibu beaches have any specific meaning for her? Thank you
I agree with you. I personally think its absurd that police thought she'd wander off into the ocean as a suicide strategy. The water is freezing and it might just toss you back up on the beach. It would be a very impractical plan with a high degree of discomfort, scariness and chance of failure vs finding another means in privacy of a hotel room. All my years in Malibu I have not heard of anyone committing suicide that way. Whereas accidental injuries, drownings and overdoses are more common as are (increasingly) suspicious disappearances, home invasions and muggings/assault incidents.

& I know exactly what you mean by various types of "risky people'. I got a knot in my stomach when I first saw the news alert for exactly that reason - there are quite a few unsavory characters to choose from and some do not stand out as threats. People tend to let their guard down in places where they feel at home.

They should check the surveillance of Ralph's (plus the CVS and Starbucks etc there to see if there is anyone who pops up later in the Paradise Cove footage. Its an unpleasant thought but maybe someone spotted Jennifer in the parking lot or store and decided to follow her and wait for an opportunity.

Another suggestion is making the rounds to the businesses that would have been open around there to see if anything stands out from that night. Gas stations in particular might be useful as that is a common stop (its a long drive to/from LA and ventura. The duck & dive (bar)'s parking lot is in the same lot as two banks. They should have good footage of any activity happening near there. The convenience mart across from Zuma gets interesting late night traffic since they sell alcohol. I'd ask them to save any surveillance footage they have too so it doesn't get taped over.

And crowd-sourcing to collect photos taken around the Paradise Beach area too.

Is there a go fund me account to assist the family with investigation expenses?

Last edited:
@hardeeboy @whitelilac nothing really out of the ordinary, she wasn't in a great emotional state but nothing alarming, no threats of selfharm or overtly woeful prose. We are having difficulty with LASD but are working to turn the tide of their focus away from the ocean, have been arranging media interviews and the like and are functionally starting our own investigation and media campaign. A Go Fund Me will be discussed once the other members of our camp get some shut-eye, was a long long day. Thank you folks again, you're invaluable!

The McStay Family brought me to WEBSLEUTHS. All cases here are important. Some happen to pull at my heartstrings more than others - I don’t know why - this is one such case.

From all appearances JML had plans in place to meet with friends. The “depression” angle doesn’t sit well with me either. Just wanted to add my 2 cents on that.

Someone out there HAS to know something. Local video has to be reviewed. Clearly she had her phone with her - need to get info from the phone.

@hardeeboy has shared some valuable local info - tbank you for that.

@hardeeboy @whitelilac nothing really out of the ordinary, she wasn't in a great emotional state but nothing alarming, no threats of selfharm or overtly woeful prose. We are having difficulty with LASD but are working to turn the tide of their focus away from the ocean, have been arranging media interviews and the like and are functionally starting our own investigation and media campaign. A Go Fund Me will be discussed once the other members of our camp get some shut-eye, was a long long day. Thank you folks again, you're invaluable!
Stay on the backs of the police! Keeping the case in the media is the best way to keep the authorities on their toes. This is another heartbreaking case. Jennifer’s car was found 3 miles from where Elaine Park’s car was found. It’s been over 2 years since Elaine has gone missing we know about as much now as we did on February 2, 2017. The circumstances surrounding both cases are so similar, it’s chilling. I pray for answers for Jennifer and her family.

I think her car was found in the same location as a few recent missing women. I cannot remember one woman's name right now. But she was on security video leaving her boyfriends home, who lived with his parents, who were big in the rap industry. She left their compound in Calabasas/Malibu hills area around 2 am and her car was found on PCH, near Paradise Cove too. She has never been found.

I wish I could remember her name. Jennifer Kim or something like that?
Her name is Elaine Park . Her car was found abandoned with all her personal belongings inside, on PCH on February 2,2017 near the intersection of Corral Canyon, 3 miles from where Jenny’s car was found. It was a battle to get the police it agree she was not “voluntary missing”. Something is very wrong. I hope the police take it seriously, we still have zero information on the whereabouts of Elian’s the family is going through hell not knowing. Someone knows something!

Hoping she is found soon and is safe. There are so many similarities in this that remind me of Elaine’s case. I don’t think she committed suicide by drowning herself, plus isn’t there video footage of her walking away from the beach?? And then an hour after that was when she was last heard from?

I don’t think that Paradise cove is an unusual spot to visit during that time of night over a holiday weekend. The walk back on to PCH however, is very dark, long, and isolated. I’m afraid that something might have happened along that route back to her car. Do we know if Paradise Cove has any cameras at the top of that road? You would think that they do considering the area and how much traffic goes thru. Plus, don’t they have security ? Anyone working the valet in the parking lot should be questioned

It was mentioned in a previous post that it is possible she had her phone on her (we know that it turned off as of last Friday), do we know if she had her wallet/keys on her too? Or was that left in the car

30 May 2019

Searchers looking for a missing Colorado woman found the remains of an unidentified woman Thursday near the shoreline in the Malibu area.

Positive identification of the remains will be determined at later date.

"After an exhaustive search for missing person Jennifer Lorber, (sheriff's) divers located the remains of a female adult near the Paradise Cove shoreline," the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement released early this afternoon.

Searchers Looking for Missing Colorado Woman Find Body Near Malibu Shoreline

There was news of finding female remains near shore of paradise cove this morning. They have not ID’d the individual.
Any information must be supported by a link, please do so, or your post will be removed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back