Found Deceased UT-5 -Year-Old Elizabeth Shelley Found Deceased (UNCLE ARRESTED) #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A public viewing?

It is a cultural thing in Utah, probably closed casket, but with lots of pictures of Elizabeth. Funerals are a big deal in Utah, with dinners at church after the service at the cemetery. I am not sure how things go outside of Utah, but there is usually a viewing at night for people to attend, no formal service.

Then, a few days later, a service at church, then everyone goes to the cemetery for a service, and back to church again for dinner. Not to be ghoulish, but the food is always excellent. The menu is usually ham, "funeral potatoes", salads, casseroles, lots of cake.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/funeral-potatoes-utah-potato-casserole-2108116

Last edited:
Elizabeth Jessica Shelley

December 10, 2013 - May 25, 2019

Our sweet Lizzy, Elizabeth Jessica Shelley, received her sparkly rainbow wings on May 25, 2019. In her short and amazing 5 years, Lizzy was able to touch so many lives. Her spunky, curious, polite, selfless nature would light up a room.

Lizzy made the world a more beautiful place. She could often be found picking flowers, cleaning up litter she would find, or protecting worms. Our sweet girl wanted to share her love with people she knew, and even those she didn't. Lizzy would often blow kisses to ambulances as they drove by, something she learned from her mom, who thought people in the ambulances needed the love.

Lizzy never could pick just one favorite color and decided that her favorite color was rainbow. She adored all of life's small wonders such as these, and got so excited whenever she would see one. She always dreamed of growing wings and flying to her own special rainbow.

snip

View Elizabeth Shelley's Obituary on HJNews.com and share memories

This made me cry. Everything about this case does.

Elizabeth Jessica Shelley

December 10, 2013 - May 25, 2019

Our sweet Lizzy, Elizabeth Jessica Shelley, received her sparkly rainbow wings on May 25, 2019. In her short and amazing 5 years, Lizzy was able to touch so many lives. Her spunky, curious, polite, selfless nature would light up a room.

Lizzy made the world a more beautiful place. She could often be found picking flowers, cleaning up litter she would find, or protecting worms. Our sweet girl wanted to share her love with people she knew, and even those she didn't. Lizzy would often blow kisses to ambulances as they drove by, something she learned from her mom, who thought people in the ambulances needed the love.

Lizzy never could pick just one favorite color and decided that her favorite color was rainbow. She adored all of life's small wonders such as these, and got so excited whenever she would see one. She always dreamed of growing wings and flying to her own special rainbow.

snip

View Elizabeth Shelley's Obituary on HJNews.com and share memories

I am playing catch up here on this thread but I have to stop here and say that this is absolutely beautiful and entirely heartbreaking.

Every time I see a rainbow, I think I will picture Lizzy painting it.

This made me cry. Everything about this case does.

Me too. The whole family was a mess. I am actually glad that the death penalty is off the table, because it drags everything out forever with the appeal process. And this family didn't need that drama on top of everything else.

I hope that this will be a transactional moment for this family, to move forward in a positive outcome. I hope that this doesn't make Jessica spin in a negative direction. She has another little girl to raise.

Petition calls for death penalty for man accused of killing his five-year-old niece | Daily Mail Online

Thousands sign petition demanding prosecutors seek the death penalty for Lizzy Shelley's uncle after authorities agreed to take capital punishment off the table if he revealed the location of the five-year-old's body
They can petition all they want, it's not going to change a thing.
Not to mention it's probably putting more stress on the family. They haven't even processed all this yet but I doubt they would want to put a family member to death. Imo

I am playing catch up here on this thread but I have to stop here and say that this is absolutely beautiful and entirely heartbreaking.

Every time I see a rainbow, I think I will picture Lizzy painting it.
The photo used in her obit is my favorite-- the larger one appeared early during the investigation. It appears to be taken at a family restaurant that gives kids a crayon packet, and she seems overjoyed at that moment. Drawing rainbows...:)

It is a cultural thing in Utah, probably closed casket, but with lots of pictures of Elizabeth. Funerals are a big deal in Utah, with dinners at church after the service at the cemetery. I am not sure how things go outside of Utah, but there is usually a viewing at night for people to attend, no formal service.

Then, a few days later, a service at church, then everyone goes to the cemetery for a service, and back to church again for dinner. Not to be ghoulish, but the food is always excellent. The menu is usually ham, "funeral potatoes", salads, casseroles, lots of cake.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/funeral-potatoes-utah-potato-casserole-2108116

I think that holds for LDS in Utah, but this appears to be a non-LDS family, so would the routine be the same with the dinner at church afterwards?

I think that holds for LDS in Utah, but this appears to be a non-LDS family, so would the routine be the same with the dinner at church afterwards?

I am pretty sure that the LDS church will step up and provide this for the family, and the community. And usually, even if folks are not LDS, this is "Utah culture". Logan is a very tight community, and I hope Lizzie's family members will welcome the love offered to them at this time, to help them heal and move forward.

Not to mention it's probably putting more stress on the family. They haven't even processed all this yet but I doubt they would want to put a family member to death. Imo

I'd kill him with my bare hands if my brother ever did this to my daughter

BBM This is so many of us.
Unfamiliar with acronym BBM:rolleyes: (noob around here)
Hoping no offense taken, I intended this as a parallel to my own preoccupation to the case and frankly to my career where I steep in the many ways humans traumatize one another. I see my defenses at work. My mother’s (and my own) fondness for intellectualization lends a breath of distance between human suffering and the emotions said suffering evokes.

I was also thinking about that- why Lizzy, how did he grab her, what set him off...
Maybe- just my opinion, not a fact- she got up from her room to go to the toilet or something, and he was still (as he said in the affidavit) there, finishing his beer. Maybe he saw the opportunity then.
Also, it would be much easier to grab her there than to grab her asleep in her bedroom- she would probably wake up and scream, thus waking the infant up and their parents would have heard and intervened.
Agree...crime if opportunity. As NG said, these types of people are not to be trusted, ever.

That news gives me hope that Lizzy did not suffer horribly.
Unfortunately, after reading the arrest affidavit there is absolutely no doubt that this monster inflicted incredible pain and torture on this innocent baby.

I wish the DP wasn't off the table, but I am relieved for her family that Lizzie's remains have been found and she can be laid to rest. She sounds like she was such a sweet girl.

These child killers need an express line straight to the needle IMO. Maybe that might be a deterrent to future child rapists and killers. I just cannot comprehend the evil in these people.

ETA: JMO

...I wish the DP wasn't off the table, but I am relieved for her family that Lizzie's remains have been found and she can be laid to rest. She sounds like she was such a sweet girl.

These child killers need an express line straight to the needle IMO. Maybe that might be a deterrent to future child rapists and killers. I just cannot comprehend the evil in these people.

In the long run it is probably best that they took the DP off of the table to get her location. If Lizzy hadn’t been found for weeks to months, or longer, it might have been more difficult to determine exactly what this monster had done to her.

They have what they need to match with other forensic evidence and hopefully put him away forever.

MOO

Unfortunately, after reading the arrest affidavit there is absolutely no doubt that this monster inflicted incredible pain and torture on this innocent baby.

I wish the DP wasn't off the table, but I am relieved for her family that Lizzie's remains have been found and she can be laid to rest. She sounds like she was such a sweet girl.

I agree with every word of this. The needle is too easy. Bring back the electric chair.
As far as the suffering this innocent baby girl endured, I can't bear to think about. It's horrific beyond words. I'm so glad her little body was found and she can be properly laid to rest. My thoughts and deepest sympathy are with her poor mother and family. Their lives are changed forever.
Fly high little angel girl.

There is an article in which the D.A states he had permission from the family to take the DP off the table,Jessica needed her baby home:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge