CA CA - Peggy Ann Reed, 15, Sonoma County, 28 March 1974

Well, if we go to CA - CA - Sonoma Co., WhtFem, ~19, red hair, contact lenses, hog-tied, Jul'79,
post #8 gives the physical dimensions of the remains I refer to as Calistoga Jane Doe. There is nothing there that can rule out Peggy, as the scanty details agree--with one exception. That one additional detail is given in the UID description--the healed fracture in a rib. Can we discover if Peggy had a healed broken rib? If so, can we find out if they were the exact same ribs in both cases? With that match, I should think we would have a pretty positive ID.

Given that NamUS and/or the investigating detectives probably have info they are not airing publicly, I would recommend that Lavender Moon submit this to NamUS. And I do believe this is a previously unlinked case in the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murder series. CA - CA - Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, 7 girls/young women, 1972-1973

In the Calistoga Jane Doe Namus file they are reporting a broken arm, not a healed broken rib. An arm could easily break falling from height considering the place this Jane Doe was found. They don't mention that it was healed. Also hair color has changed from auburn/brown-red to brown......Maybe this Jane Doe is Peggy, but I would describe Peggy's hair as reddish brown. Didn't compare the stats.

Well, if we go to CA - CA - Sonoma Co., WhtFem, ~19, red hair, contact lenses, hog-tied, Jul'79,
post #8 gives the physical dimensions of the remains I refer to as Calistoga Jane Doe. There is nothing there that can rule out Peggy, as the scanty details agree--with one exception. That one additional detail is given in the UID description--the healed fracture in a rib. Can we discover if Peggy had a healed broken rib? If so, can we find out if they were the exact same ribs in both cases? With that match, I should think we would have a pretty positive ID.

Given that NamUS and/or the investigating detectives probably have info they are not airing publicly, I would recommend that Lavender Moon submit this to NamUS. And I do believe this is a previously unlinked case in the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murder series. CA - CA - Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, 7 girls/young women, 1972-1973
I contacted NamUs via text, inquiring if I might register despite not having an email address. I was informed that an email address is required for registration

Just brainstorming here:

As we know, perpetrators quite often troll and dump bodies within their comfort zones. The SR Hitchhiker murderer was comfortable in the back roads of Santa Rosa, the foothills and canyons were a part of his comfort zone. Are there other clues that suggest the killer hailed from Santa Rosa? Are there clues that he drove from elsewhere?

I would think that if it were a well known local fact that young ladies were thumbing rides around the Coddingtown Mall /Redwood Empire Ice Rink area, it could have brought creeps/abductors from the towns surrounding Santa Rosa. "A 'honey pot' for sexual predators" (Burblestein I like that).

Expanding on that notion, if Peggy Reed and Francine Trimble and Kerri Graham were indeed abducted by the same person(s), he would likely be someone who knew well the stretch of Highway 20 connecting Fort Bragg, CA to Willits.

I could imagine that Hwy 20 late at night is a lonely road. Did this perp dump more bodies near where Trimble and Graham were left? Perhaps Peggy is not far away. I would like to know if that was a dumping ground of his.

But I did compare the stats before making the suggestion.

No offence, I don't doubt you did. I meant I didn't compare the stats. The thing is, the file of Calistoga Jane Doe is changed along the way. They report a broken arm now and not a broken rib as before. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

That doesn't exclude Peggy, though. Comparing the stats side by side for convenience.
  • UID found July 2, 1979 Santa Rosa, CA
  • Peggy, missing since March 1, 1974 (3/28 depending on the source)
  • UID Calistoga road/bottom of a canyon
  • Peggy Sonoma County area of Guerneville Road and Coddling Town Mall
  • UID Estimated PMI 3 years/Estimated year of death 1976 / Peggy went missing in 1974
  • UID Age 16 – 21
  • Peggy 15 when missing, would be ca.17 in 1976
  • Both White/Caucasian
  • UID Hair color: Brown
  • Peggy Light brown hair (brown, depending on the source) (in pictures seems to be reddish light brown)
  • Height, weight, eye color: unknown
  • Peggy Height 5.2, weight 110 lbs
  • UID Broken arm
  • Peggy Unknown
  • Found near the victim was a hard contact lens inside a metal candy tin with cherries on it/they add “on the body” (so was it on or near the body?)
  • Peggy Eyeglasses
I just wonder. If the PMI and estimated year of death are correct, where was Peggy in between missing and found date? There is so little to know about the circumstances and she is not in Namus until this day.

Last edited:
That's an excellent summary of the similarities. As for the respective fractures: These may not be the only bone breaks on either set of remains. And I have previously, on several occasions, found errors in NamUS listings. I still believe the comparison should be suggested to authorities. How about the detective investigating Peggy's disappearance?

MountainMama makes an excellent point about Coddingtown Mall. I would like to add that Snoopy's Home Ice is directly across Steele Lane from the the Mall. This ice rink is a social center for teens. Maureen Sterling and Maureen Weber were in the rink before leaving to hitchhike and vanish. It would not be surprising if other SRHHM victims hung out at the rink. Unfortunately, the rink could have been a "honey pot" for sexual predator(s).

Now that i think about it... I remember seeing somewhere that Kim Wendy Allen lived in a granny unit at a house on Guernvills Road. I cant site the source though.

I went ahead and submitted the question comparing Peggy Reed to the Sonoma County Jane Doe found on Calistoga Road to the Sheriff’s Department in Sonoma County. I will post again here, when and if, I get a response.

California - PEGGY REED - Missing Alert
1311886_1.jpg

Peggy Ann Reed – The Charley Project
  • peggy_ann_reed_1.jpg
  • peggy_ann_reed_2.jpg
  • reed_peggy3.jpg
  • reed_peggy_ap.jpg
  • Missing Since 03/01/1974
  • Missing From Sonoma County, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 01/09/1959 (60)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black windbreaker jacket, a blue scoop-neck shirt with a design of red, yellow and brown flowers, brown slacks and tan or gray shoes with two-inch heels.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Light brown hair, brown eyes. Peggy wears eyeglasses. She has a strawberry birthmark on her neck above the hairline.
  • Peggy was last seen in the area of Guerneville Road and Coddling Town Mall in Sonoma County, California on March 1, 1974. She may have been hitchhiking at the time of her disappearance. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

Peggy disappeared from the vicinity of Coddington Mall. So did Maureen Sterling and Yvonne Weber. Peggy's photo shows she shares the same general appearance as other Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders, and the time frame is right. In fact, there is more reason to consider Peggy as a Hitchhike victim than Jeannette Kamahele.

So why isn't Peggy thought of as a victim of the Coed Killer?
Thought I'd bring Burblestein's quote forward.

No offence, I don't doubt you did. I meant I didn't compare the stats. The thing is, the file of Calistoga Jane Doe is changed along the way. They report a broken arm now and not a broken rib as before. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

That doesn't exclude Peggy, though. Comparing the stats side by side for convenience.
  • UID found July 2, 1979 Santa Rosa, CA
  • Peggy, missing since March 1, 1974 (3/28 depending on the source)
  • UID Calistoga road/bottom of a canyon
  • Peggy Sonoma County area of Guerneville Road and Coddling Town Mall
  • UID Estimated PMI 3 years/Estimated year of death 1976 / Peggy went missing in 1974
  • UID Age 16 – 21
  • Peggy 15 when missing, would be ca.17 in 1976
  • Both White/Caucasian
  • UID Hair color: Brown
  • Peggy Light brown hair (brown, depending on the source) (in pictures seems to be reddish light brown)
  • Height, weight, eye color: unknown
  • Peggy Height 5.2, weight 110 lbs
  • UID Broken arm
  • Peggy Unknown
  • Found near the victim was a hard contact lens inside a metal candy tin with cherries on it/they add “on the body” (so was it on or near the body?)
  • Peggy Eyeglasses
I just wonder. If the PMI and estimated year of death are correct, where was Peggy in between missing and found date? There is so little to know about the circumstances and she is not in Namus until this day.
I would not expect perfect PMIs here given conditions UID was found. It's possible to easily be off by a year or two. The same with the estimation of 16-21 and it being a 15-year-old. All in realm of possibility.

It could be that if police are convinced the hitchhiker murders only lasted to 1973, they don't count this one a year later?

Also, regarding anxiety over whether someone's hair is reddish brown or brown and how it was documented, keep in mind the majority if not 100% entirety of people working on these files in the 1970s were men. I know too many men who can look at auburn hair and call it brown. I wouldn't become overly concerned about variances unless it's comparing black and blond. But if you have docs calling it "dark blonde" and "brown" then trust they might be talking about the same thing. I've seen docs calling a MP's hair "red" and it was really blonde with strawberry lowlights. You never know.

I went ahead and submitted the question comparing Peggy Reed to the Sonoma County Jane Doe found on Calistoga Road to the Sheriff’s Department in Sonoma County. I will post again here, when and if, I get a response.

@jackornaught Hi did you ever heard something back, guess not.

I wouldn't exclude Peggy from possibly being Calistoga Road Jane Doe, found in 1979.

http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com/articles/doe/bones_tell_tortured_tale_of_murder.pdf In the article about Jane Doe I found something about the broken rib, that is not mentioned in the Namus file.

"another clue that may help in identifying the victim is a rib that had apparently been broken some time before her dead and healed"

In the article is also mentioned that Dr. Haglers preliminary conclusion was that the remains were there 5 - 7 years, because they found a hard contactlens and soft contactlenses were developed relatively recently (at the time)

Peggy is excluded in this case
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
https://www.theunidentified.org/product-page/16314

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back