Looking for info on how to research murders

Shannonmw71

Reaction score
If anyone out there can help me by telling me if there is a way to research murders in a certain time period and place I would greatly appreciate it. And if there is a way can I get enough info to see if they may link up? Please let me know I have tried to start convos on this and no response so I assume that is not the way.
I thank you in advance for any help.

Newspaper archive for the area.

There is probably a university in the state that has an extensive collection of newspapers published in that state, often a paper copy of every edition published & at least a few copies of every newspaper known.

Find out which one & correspond. One or two librarians will oversee the collection & probably be delighted that someone is interested.

It's easy for you to check maps for appropriate years & know which towns are adjacent or nearby, to find those papers. Even towns we see as small had 2 or more competing newspapers, sometimes until the 1980's. The Kansas City Times became part of the Kansas City Star in 1990, for example.

Sometimes papers were published as a county-wide paper, too. Towns do change names as well.

Visit, and page through the papers closest to the crimes that interest you. You may notice a pattern in social columns or in factory/business lay offs for retooling or seasonal shut-downs, who knows?

Genealogists do this, looking for marriages, obituaries, school graduating classes, business ribbon-cuttings, county fair trophy winners, scraps of information about families....

Where are you looking, who are the deceased?

Best, Laughing

Hi Laughing, Thank you. I am wondering why I cannot find Teryl Orcutt murder on web sleuths, I thought it had been there before. Is there another way to look it up aside from putting in the name in search? Could it have been deleted?

I have used google to find threads on websleuths: From the google search box, type "websleuths" and the name of the person/case you are seeking.

Thank you. I am wondering if this is the same person who killed Rosebud Kelly. and if there were any others in the area around those years. I will look at these.

If anyone out there can help me by telling me if there is a way to research murders in a certain time period and place I would greatly appreciate it. And if there is a way can I get enough info to see if they may link up? Please let me know I have tried to start convos on this and no response so I assume that is not the way.
I thank you in advance for any help.

Hi! Have you tried Murderpedia.org? You can't select a specific place, only the state. But once you're there, if you click cmd+f and 1990 it will give you the murderers for that year or the time period a muredered committed crimes (before/after that year).

I did a quick search, there are at least 3 with the same method of murder:

Oscar Ray Bolin | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Danny Rolling | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Paul Rowles | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Blessings,

Pat

One of Oscar Ray Bolin's murder cases is very similar to Teryl's... Teri Lynn Matthews, 26 was also a bank employee and was killed on her way home after visiting her boyfriend... i know there's a 4 year gap between the two crimes (1986, 1990) but there are also a lot of other similarities and Oscar was only arrested in July 1990. Who knows how many other victims he may have had?

Last edited:

There is probably a university in the state that has an extensive collection of newspapers published in that state, often a paper copy of every edition published & at least a few copies of every newspaper known.

Find out which one & correspond. One or two librarians will oversee the collection & probably be delighted that someone is interested.

It's easy for you to check maps for appropriate years & know which towns are adjacent or nearby, to find those papers. Even towns we see as small had 2 or more competing newspapers, sometimes until the 1980's. The Kansas City Times became part of the Kansas City Star in 1990, for example.

Sometimes papers were published as a county-wide paper, too. Towns do change names as well.

Visit, and page through the papers closest to the crimes that interest you. You may notice a pattern in social columns or in factory/business lay offs for retooling or seasonal shut-downs, who knows?

Genealogists do this, looking for marriages, obituaries, school graduating classes, business ribbon-cuttings, county fair trophy winners, scraps of information about families....

Best, Laughing
I am looking for

Best, Laughing
Hi Laughing, I am getting started thank you so much! I am looking at the Teryl Orcutt 1990 murder in Middleburg and if it could be linked to Rosebud Kelly murder in Middleburg in 1988. They were along the same road, cr218. I had a scary experience along that same road. I was ok but never forgot the man. I want to see if there were any more in that region and if there are similarities to them. Also disappearances etc. Could they be linked when the ages were so different? I have an idea on the man but I could be wrong.

Hi! Have you tried Murderpedia.org? You can't select a specific place, only the state. But once you're there, if you click cmd+f and 1990 it will give you the murderers for that year or the time period a muredered committed crimes (before/after that year).

I did a quick search, there are at least 3 with the same method of murder:

Oscar Ray Bolin | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Danny Rolling | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Paul Rowles | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Blessings,

Pat
Thank you I will try this tonight

I am looking for

Hi Laughing, I am getting started thank you so much! I am looking at the Teryl Orcutt 1990 murder in Middleburg and if it could be linked to Rosebud Kelly murder in Middleburg in 1988. They were along the same road, cr218. I had a scary experience along that same road. I was ok but never forgot the man. I want to see if there were any more in that region and if there are similarities to them. Also disappearances etc. Could they be linked when the ages were so different? I have an idea on the man but I could be wrong.

Shannon, hey there. <modsnip> I'm looking into some Middleburg homicides and Teryl's is one I plan to cover in an upcoming season along with one in Lake City - Darlene Messer's abduction/murder from the Suwanee Swifty food store in 1989. They both have Middleburg ties, in that Darlene lived and worked off CR218 before she moved to Lake City. I also know that some of the suspects in Darlene's case were from Middleburg, based on the reports I have. But as far as the Teryl Orcutt homicide, I'm checking into whether there could be a link, as well. I have Darlene's casefile, and have sent a records request for Teryl's, but I've already interviewed her sister about her case so I have some info on it - although I always wait on facts from the actual police file. I'd love to talk with you and get your thoughts and hear about the Rosebud Kelly murder and your scary experience. <modsnip> Maybe if we compare notes, something might pop up that'll help us both! ~Jeni

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to gather some information here:

Murder Accountability Project

It will take a bit of work to figure out how to suss out the data you are looking for, but there is a lot of good info to be had there.

I have just interviewed Lt. Rob Schoonover for my podcast on this case and I think they really are hoping for some new leads. He also said this plea was still valid, so I'm posting it here and the other Teryl Orcutt threads in case it rings a bell with anyone.

If you or someone you know was driving in Clay, Duval, St. Johns or Putnam counties (FL) between December 1989 and January 1990 (or even in the months to follow) and someone tried to pull you over or force you off the road, please call Lt. Rob Schoonover at 904-213-6703 and report this information.

Hello all
I’m totally knew to this and i wanted to source some advice

Let’s for example there was a killing in a smaill rural location, and the wrong person was sent you jail for the murder.

It’s common knowledge in the village that the murderer got away with the crime

Can anyone give me advice on how i can attempt to approach solving this miss carriage of justice

Thanks

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back