Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this earlier...

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton 3h3 hours ago
No word yet. Did see jurors come back from lunch but that’s about it.

So I'm going to go with they did NOT work through lunch today lol I thought they would have ordered in lunch to just keep deliberating... guess not.
Well normally in most trials I've followed that's the case...lunch is brought in for the jurors so they can keep deliberating. As we know in this trial though, almost everything's done differently. :mad:

It's going to be a mission trying to figure out exactly how long the jurors deliberated for ...I mean, exactly how long did they have for lunch? 1hr, 90 mins, 2hrs ?? I feel a migraine coming on already!! :eek:

I don't even know if the guy has worked in or around a court room before LOL I think he was added as a "media liason" or whatever so he could hang with the defense to film the documentary JMO

I suspect that we won't get to see or hear the affidavit's that will be filed, which is a shame, I kinda want to know now, who this guy was, what the heck he was thinking approaching the alternates before the case is concluded, why he thought it was okay to do so...
bbm
No kidding. What a crazy way to run a trial. The only people who should be allowed anywhere near the jurors while in court are the lawyers.

I don't even know if the guy has worked in or around a court room before LOL I think he was added as a "media liason" or whatever so he could hang with the defense to film the documentary JMO

I suspect that we won't get to see or hear the affidavit's that will be filed, which is a shame, I kinda want to know now, who this guy was, what the heck he was thinking approaching the alternates before the case is concluded, why he thought it was okay to do so...
If you scroll back you’ll find posts that include when he was hired as part of this defense team (2016) & that one of the defense attorneys has confirmed to JS that Wallace IS part of the defense team.
They can’t play dumb & say he didn’t know he couldn’t approach jurors or alternates ,who may still be required to participate in deciding a verdict.
This is a huge deal.

I read the article, but thanks LOL My point is that this guy is not a media guy, at least not IMO. He is part of the documentary and IMO they called him the media liason so he could hang with the defense team and get the behind the scene shots. I can't find anything about this guy, which would be strange if he really is a media consultant, but again, JMO.
You don’t think the defense would have distanced themselves from him if that’s all he was ?
After the pre-trial hearing in 2016 he was listed as one of the newest hires for the DT .
We aren’t even arguing the guilt or innocence of CM.
This would be just as egregious if it was someone working with the Prosecution . It wasn’ . It was a defense team member . Huge ! YUGE!!

You don’t think the defense would have distanced themselves from him if that’s all he was ?
After the pre-trial hearing in 2016 he was listed as one of the newest hires for the DT .
We aren’t even arguing the guilt or innocence of CM.
This would be just as egregious if it was someone working with the Prosecution . It wasn’ . It was a defense team member . Huge ! YUGE!!
I get what Missy is trying to say. The DT said Wallace is a part of their team so he would be able to have the same access to Merritt as the attorneys have. As we all know attorneys have certain privileges and access at the courthouse, with their client, etc. and by Wallace being a "member" of the DT the special privileges extend to him, to a degree anyway.

I don't know if IMDB is credible or always factual but it says here:

Joseph McStay was born as Sr Joseph Mateo Martelli McStay. He was previously married to Summer McStay.

Joseph McStay - Biography - IMDb

[ why does it say he was 'previously' married to Summer?]
That is very strange. Martelli is a name that Summer used at one point. I never heard that it was connected to Joey at all. Joey was adopted. I once knew his birth father's name, but have forgotten it. However, it was a generic-type American name - certainly not Martelli. Interestingly, Patrick has said that he "has some Italian in him."

As for previously being married to Summer McStay - that's ridiculous.

I read the article, but thanks LOL My point is that this guy is not a media guy, at least not IMO. He is part of the documentary and IMO they called him the media liason so he could hang with the defense team and get the behind the scene shots. I can't find anything about this guy, which would be strange if he really is a media consultant, but again, JMO.

And my point is that if he is the Executive Producer of the documentary, which follows the defense team throughout the trial, then he is the ultimate media guy. IMO

The purpose of this documentary, in my opinion, is to have the next Steve Avery type media hit, and to portray Chase as the helpless victim of railroading by the evil DA.

Which puts Robert Wallace in the driver's seat of the ultimate media spin.

I don't know why some are trying to dismiss this guy as some low level hapless employee, too inexperienced to know his way around the courthouse. He was the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER of the documentary. You don't get an expensive project like that off the ground without some money and power. Especially considering you need to get everyone onboard with filming during a quadruple murder trial. This guy is no dummy.

I am not sure what his motive was, but it wasn't an innocent mistake, in my opinion.

Last edited:
That is very strange. Martelli is a name that Summer used at one point. I never heard that it was connected to Joey at all. Joey was adopted. I once knew his birth father's name, but have forgotten it. However, it was a generic-type American name - certainly not Martelli. Interestingly, Patrick has said that he "has some Italian in him."

Yes, this is very strange. I have no idea where this rumour got started.

Bio dad's name was Ashley.

Joey was born in a big city in Ohio, - I can't remember which one - But Akron sounds familiar. His birth name was Joseph Brian Ashley. Summers real name is Virginia - I can't remember her last name.

I get what Missy is trying to say. The DT said Wallace is a part of their team so he would be able to have the same access to Merritt as the attorneys have. As we all know attorneys have certain privileges and access at the courthouse, with their client, etc. and by Wallace being a "member" of the DT the special privileges extend to him, to a degree anyway.

So, they can’t have it both ways. They can’t give him special privileges and access as ‘a member of the defense team,’ but claim that he’s just some hapless civilian, totally unconnected to them, when he commits egregious misconduct.

If you scroll back you’ll find posts that include when he was hired as part of this defense team (2016) & that one of the defense attorneys has confirmed to JS that Wallace IS part of the defense team.
They can’t play dumb & say he didn’t know he couldn’t approach jurors or alternates ,who may still be required to participate in deciding a verdict.
This is a huge deal.

seriously LOL I posted this morning that I found an article (which was in 2015 btw) that he was a media advisor for the defense. VERDICT WATCH - Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2 Some days I truly believe that if I posted black, I would get a ton of responses that would say nope, nuh uh, it's white LOL Having different opinions is just that, but it doesn't mean that EVERYTHING has to be a differing opinion. JMO

I am fully aware of what was stated in court, what I am saying is that IMO they gave this guy a title so he could hang with the defense and do his thing for the documentary. I am not saying that what he did wasn't wrong. As for playing dumb, I am sure he will, he will say he is not a lawyer or an officer of the court and didn't know any better blah blah blah. But no one, regardless of whether they are on the defense team, the prosecution team, a journalist, or a member of the public should have approached them, and especially not for an interview. What the guy did was wrong. I hope that he is held responsible in some way. Also JMO.

True. But isn't it kind of a conflict of interest?

Wallace is part of the defense team, and at the same time, he is the Executive Producer of the 'documentary.' So that right there tells us that it is not an unbiased, impartial film. It is defense driven in every respect.

That seems unfair that it is being shot throughout the trial. It is being produced by the defense team, essentially.

Exactly! It's the way he got unrestricted access. I can't recall where I read it, maybe it was in some court stuff very early on, but the documentary people have been recording all of the pre-trial hearings as well. I will actually be more interested to see some of that footage than anything else from any documentary that is made!

Joey was born in a big city in Ohio, - I can't remember which one - But Akron sounds familiar. His birth name was Joseph Brian Ashley. Summers real name is Virginia - I can't remember her last name.
Wouldn't it have been Aranda? That's her mother Blanche's name. But then, I've read that Blanche has been married more than once.

Exactly! It's the way he got unrestricted access. I can't recall where I read it, maybe it was in some court stuff very early on, but the documentary people have been recording all of the pre-trial hearings as well. I will actually be more interested to see some of that footage than anything else from any documentary that is made!

But they are not going to put all the raw footage up there for their audience. It will be edited and trimmed to fit a very narrow narrative, honed by the defense team. We will only see parts of the hearings that fit into that specific pro-defense narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie