Found Deceased FL - Jenna Jacobsen, 20, Lake Worth Beach, Palm Beach County, 25 Apr 2019

gosh, this makes me SICK. i moved away from the US about 16 years ago, and now, every time i go home i have another friend/acquaintance/family member caught up in this epidemic. it's so widespread, and since i am only back home 1-2 times a year, it's super obvious to see how bad it's gotten and changed (for the worse) over the years. i really believe that so many of the cases we read about here on websleuths involve dealings with shady characters (dealers, buyers, cartels) because of this epidemic. that's just my opinion, and i'm certainly not saying i believe every missing person is a drug addict or is even drug adjacent. of course not. but i have witnessed with my own eyes some really shady dealings in small town america, and it's really scary and heartbreaking how out of control this opioid problem has become. (and that's on top of having to worry about fentanyl).

to think that you can be scammed when you are trying to get your life together makes me freaking furious! how disgusting. i believe the opioid epidemic is even bigger than people realize.

So her family didn’t know she was in a treatment center in NJ? Then she was lured to FL? When did they find out she was missing?

And a treatment center that closes suddenly?
Sounds sketchy....
How did her family learn she was missing is my top question. The police wouldn't have called anyone. Not clear that her boyfriend told them. Someone did.

The story we are getting is in bits and pieces and all over the place. The aunt's telling of it has them at a convenience store, and just when they are about to get picked up to go to yet another rehab place the police just happen on by - yet the closest thing that resembles a convenience store is two blocks south of where the police encounter was and in an alley (per police) that is known for drug dealing and it was 5:20 pm when the encounter with police occurs.

How did her family learn she was missing is my top question. The police wouldn't have called anyone. Not clear that her boyfriend told them. Someone did.

The story we are getting is in bits and pieces and all over the place. The aunt's telling of it has them at a convenience store, and just when they are about to get picked up to go to yet another rehab place the police just happen on by - yet the closest thing that resembles a convenience store is two blocks south of where the police encounter was and in an alley (per police) that is known for drug dealing and it was 5:20 pm when the encounter with police occurs.

Exactly

Cannot get a good read on this case at all and it makes you wonder if even the family really know what the truth is. JMO, but they don’t want to say she relapsed for some reason maybe? To me it seems that way and that is ok! They shouldn’t be ashamed with that. She was trying. It happens. It’s unfortunate she was with the BF that is an addict as well. She needed to do this by herself. That’s one of the main things they teach you in NA actually

This is all just so sad :(

Exactly

Cannot get a good read on this case at all and it makes you wonder if even the family really know what the truth is. JMO, but they don’t want to say she relapsed for some reason maybe? To me it seems that way and that is ok! They shouldn’t be ashamed with that. She was trying. It happens. It’s unfortunate she was with the BF that is an addict as well. She needed to do this by herself. That’s one of the main things they teach you in NA actually

This is all just so sad :(
When you read the arrest affidavit for the boyfriend, at no time is it described that they had any bags/backpacks for clothing and such with them. There wasn't any indication she even had a purse with her because he was carrying her Photo ID in his wallet. Surely these two didn't go to Florida without at least a change of clothes. So, there is more to this story but I don't think we are ever going to get the whole story. I have a feeling they were living on the streets or even possibly where she was found which was no doubt in the Latana Scrub Natural Area (news articles say off the access road to the Public Health building and that is what is off that road).

There is a reason that many rehab counselors and addiction experts suggest that people in a relationship together should never go to the same rehab, nor should people in rehab get together ("rehab romance"). The problem is that when people are in early recovery, it's very easy for them to feed off each others cravings and doubts and falsely believe that all they need is each other. I'm strongly in the camp that they left treatment AMA, relapsed, and then the unfortunate circumstances with her BF's arrest led to her being alone on the street, vulnerable, and possibly using. The odds for having a fatal overdose are the highest in the days after leaving treatment, because their tolerance is low after a period of being clean, albeit even a short one, and they think they can use again at the same levels they were using before. Whether she overdosed on her own or an unscrupulous rehab patient broker convinced her that using was the only way to get back into a rehab, I think the odds are high that this homicide was caused by a dealer, not a knife or gun.

Tragic story, but all too common in today's opioid epidemic.

This is so scary and so true. I also have a potential Jenna....18 years old but not ready for treatment. I know how hard it is, my sobriety date is 11/23/96 and only by the grace of God was I ready. All these addicts just break my heart....but even moreso if she was trying to get better. That's just all kinds of hurt.

I have one too. He will hopefully turn 24 this year.
I started a thread about loving someone with addictions. Great people over there. Gentle hugs. Thank you for being sober. Xo

I have one too. He will hopefully turn 24 this year.
I started a thread about loving someone with addictions. Great people over there. Gentle hugs. Thank you for being sober. Xo

Where is it?

It is true about body brokering, it's horrific and most of the rehabs are just purely about money. I disagree that while yes, drugs maybe a choice at first, not entirely true. I had a friend get prescribed pain pills, he had been 11 years sober from alcohol and ended up on the streets for 2 years after the prescription for a back pain injury. I've been sober for a while now, and no, some people seem to be able to handle alcohol and drugs while some of us cannot. I just lost 2 friends this week, one a high profile speaker here in CO. It's a combination of many factors. I'm starting to think that the simple truth is not all of us will make it, not because we don't want to, or don't try hard enough. RIP Jenna.

I don't think any autopsy results have been released yet, so discussing her cause of death is premature, IMO. She could've been clean/sober and been picked up by or run into the wrong person, who then murdered her. We just don't know yet. I hope the family is able to get the answers they seek.

She was only 20. Who knows when she stared suffering with addictions. Some kids really don’t want to be addicted. Don’t even know what addiction actually means. I know 12 year olds don’t just pick needles up but drugs happen and they happen earlier then ever before. Kids are addicted before their brains are fully formed. Just sad.

Respectfully, I think we should all return our focus back to Jenna instead of making judgements of assumed “flaws” in her character and her actions. We can hold her accountable for her actions and be mad (and by mad I mean angry at how drugs are such a struggle and lead people down paths we never dreamed for them) at her for engaging in activity that ultimately led to the circumstances that may or may have not caused her death. But simultaneously we can also have compassion, sadness and if not empathy, some sympathy. This young woman did not deserve to die.

ETA the rape comparison has absolutely no place here in my
Humble
Opinion

I also want to add that I agree that young people need to be more aware and more accountable with what they perceive is experimenting with drugs as it is a slippery slope that is often recognized once the damage has been done. But this is nothing new and has been espoused for years. So... I’m not sure what the answer is

Last edited:
THIS THREAD HAS REOPENED, WITH A WARNING TO STAY AWAY FROM DEBATING THE GENERAL TOPICS OF DRUG USAGE AND ADDICTION.

THIS THREAD IS FOR JENNA JACOBSEN. HER DEATH IS TRAGIC AND NOT FODDER FOR A BROAD DISCUSSION ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL PHILOSOPHY ABOUT DRUGS. SUCH POSTS ARE CONSIDERED OFF TOPIC AND MAY BE REMOVED WITHOUT EXPLANATION. PLEASE REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THE TOS GUIDELINES.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back