Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those dirt mounds that eventually became graves were visible on google maps. Perhaps, google maps was used by the killer to locate pre-dug holes.
When was the google maps picture taken? There should be a satellite photo of before & after the incident - were there mounds or graves dug prior to February 4th?

She says 14 hours. If 5/30 was 4 1/2, 6/3 was 4 1/2 & yesterday 6/4 was 3 hours (1:30 to 4:30) - that would be roughly 12 hours....

?? Anyone?? Just wondering "where" she got that extra 2 hours....

I think 6/3 was longer than 4 1/2 hours. They left the courthouse around 4:15, but I am not sure we really know when they started deliberating.

ETA: from tweets yesterday...

Richard K. De Atley‏Verified account @RKDeAtley
That's it for the hearing. The 12 regular jurors, not part of any of this, are back to deliberating the case. #mcstay #chasemerritt

10:38 AM - 3 Jun 2019 <<<< Not sure if they were already deliberating when the hearing was going on or not, but they were by this time.

Just one more thing.
I do not think that there is one lawyer, including the defence, that thinks that Chase Merritt is innocent.
Not one of them.
Not one.
But, that does not matter to them.
It's just a game.

The problem is, they haven't had any good long deliberation sessions yet. Four hours is not enough time to really get into deep, meaningful discussions that make huge progress.

I hope they are on the same page, because if not, this may take awhile longer. JMO

Last edited:
Just one more thing.
I do not think that there is one lawyer, including the defence, that thinks that Chase Merritt is innocent.
Not one of them.

Not one.
But, that does not matter to them.
It's just a game.

I agree.
I dont think there is anyone here who is 100% sure of this innocence either. Some may have doubts, but no one can know he is innocent, for certain.

also saw this when looking at tweets from today...

JD Crighton‏ @JDCrighton
#McStay: Jurors have resumed deliberations at 1:40 pm. Nine female, three male jurors.

I thought we had 8 female, 4 male before the one juror was released, so it looks like he was replaced by a female alternate. So I believe we have 1 male and 1 female alternate left (these were the 2 approached by Wallace).

miss1974 said:
I think 6/3 was longer than 4 1/2 hours. They left the courthouse around 4:15, but I am not sure we really know when they started deliberating.

ETA: from tweets yesterday...

Richard K. De Atley‏Verified account @RKDeAtley
That's it for the hearing. The 12 regular jurors, not part of any of this, are back to deliberating the case. #mcstay #chasemerritt

10:38 AM - 3 Jun 2019 <<<< Not sure if they were already deliberating when the hearing was going on or not, but they were by this time.

So from 10:38am to 4:15pm say - that's 5 1/2 hours - 1 hour for lunch UNLESS they had lunch while deliberating.... and no one is telling if they did.

and you are correct missy on the number of alternates and gender of the jurors. I noticed that tweet too. I think I changed it on my post this morning, but didn't change the alternates. I do recall someone - sorry - don't remember - but they said there should be 2 alternates left.

They’re not doing as many hours per day as I expected them to. Silly me!

One day of deliberation for every month of testimony would be 25 hours—if you had 5 hour deliberation days.

That was my thought as far as about how long they would take. One day for every month of testimony. But if everyday is a different length then I have no freaking idea. I was right on the Jones trial but I have no guess on this one. It's a kerfuffle.

So from 10:38am to 4:15pm say - that's 5 1/2 hours - 1 hour for lunch UNLESS they had lunch while deliberating.... and no one is telling if they did.

and you are correct missy on the number of alternates and gender of the jurors. I noticed that tweet too. I think I changed it on my post this morning, but didn't change the alternates. I do recall someone - sorry - don't remember - but they said there should be 2 alternates left.
June 3rd tweet:
JD Crighton on Twitter

eta - sorry just realized you meant if they deliberated while they were out for lunch.

Morning all.

I hope we are very close to seeing justice finally come.

I have questions for anyone who knows the answers. As all of you know I didn't follow this case closely until the trial began.

Anyway, once the bodies were discovered did CM immediately come to give his deepest condolences to the grieving families?

Did they have a memorial service for them or a graveside service when they were properly buried? If so did CM, and his family attend since Joey had done so much for CJ as well? Did she come even if CM did not?

If none came, did CM ever say why they didn't come since Joey was his very best friend?

Maybe the documentary will answer those questions, but since I will not be watching any of it, I trust, and rely on our trusted posters for the answers.

Has CM ever shed any tears over losing his best friend or has shown any normal emotional response on knowing his best friend had been murdered along with everyone in Joey's family?

TIA, its just some things I've thought about as we wait.

Imoo

A poster mentioned earlier that McGee, and Maline will not want to be the lawyers if it has to be retried.

Imo, they may not have a choice in the matter.

I have seen judges refuse to release the first DT trial attorneys when the case ended in a hung jury resulting in a retrial.

In fact at the moment I'm drawing a blank on any retrial that resulted in totally new lawyers for the defense even in those who weren't death penalty cases.

Iirc, the judges said they would not be released since it delays the retrial from going forward when other attorneys would have to start over from scratch. It not only causes unnecessary delays it isnt cost effective either.

So, imo, even if M&M doesn't want to be his lawyers in case of a retrial JS will refuse to release them, and will clearly layout why in his ruling to not dismiss.

So, imo, we will be stuck with these two circus barkers once again if it is retried because of a hung jury.

I remember in the Guy Heinz jr death penalty trial his lead defense attorney moved to Atlanta hundreds of miles away from Brunswick.

When the trial was close four years after his arrest.. the attorney wanted to be released since he was then located in Atlanta. The judge refused to release him since he had been his attorney for years, and knew the case better than anyone.

Imo

Last edited:
Yes. I am with you both on this. I live here.
God forbid I am ever murdered in San Diego, Ca.
Keystone Cops operate here.
Perhaps they are too busy dealing with the homeless to do real detective work, as the San Bernadino detectives did?
It was All right there, in front of their faces.
Bank account raided by Chase Merritt. No cell phone, bank activity after the 4th of February and forever more by either Summer or Joey.
A brand new home abandoned?
Planned get togethers with family members ignored?
Tens of Thousands of dollars of business income for this family ignored by Joey, who we can all see by his phone records, was working his business ill or not.

Joey was dedicated to making his business successful. For himself, his wife and his little children. One person, put the brakes on all of Joey and Summer's dreams.
Then decided to torture them before finally finishing all of them off.
The torture part kills my very soul.

By all accounts, the little McStay family were close and loving.

Who had to watch their loved ones die first?
They could not possibly be all murdered at the same time. So, yes, without a doubt, they watched hopelessly, as their loved ones were slaughtered before their eyes.
That. Is Torture.

A thousand likes for this! Can I add that Dugal is an idiot?

So they went to Tijuana, met their killers there, and the killers decided to go back into the USA with their hostages, and dispose of them there, instead of the Mexican desert?

And buried them practically in Chases back yard, his phone pinging the towers within eyesight of the graves.

Wow, Chase sure has some bad luck.

Yep, and they could have started before that tweet, I got the impression they were there already when that hearing was going on because of one of the tweets saying the judge was wondering if the alternates were in the courthouse somewhere (they would be there if the other 12 were deliberating, we heard this at the end where they were questioning about work/being on call for jury), and then shortly after they were being questioned by the judge.

Yep, and they could have started before that tweet, I got the impression they were there already when that hearing was going on because of one of the tweets saying the judge was wondering if the alternates were in the courthouse somewhere (they would be there if the other 12 were deliberating, we heard this at the end where they were questioning about work/being on call for jury), and then shortly after they were being questioned by the judge.

I asked Kit at L&C on Monday when they started, she checked with Cathy and said "mcstay jurors started approx 10:30 am local time today. 4 1/2 hours from last thursday".

I think JD Creighton also had a tweet about them coming back from lunch so don't think they deliberated through lunch. Do we know if they're only taking an hour, or if it's the 1 1/2 they had been doing during testimony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288