Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about the competency or lack thereof of the SDSD. But to be fair, there are a few of us critical thinkers who believe Rebecca's death may indeed have been a suicide despite the elaborate way she was tied (which could be done by a person to themselves as I saw demonstrated in a video).

It's odd. I've seen a couple of those now. Here is another where two women duct taped themselves together somehow in bizarre suicide.

Deaths of Saudi sisters found bound together in New York river ruled to be suicide

There have also been a few cases where people aren't tied up but staged their deaths to look like a suicide:

My Father Staged His Suicide to Look Like a Murder

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...ged-his-suicide-to-look-like-murder-cops/amp/

'Hero' cop staged suicide to look like murder, embezzled from youth program

I've analyzed the RZ case pretty thoroughly and think it could indeed have been a suicide.

And I don't know if the SDSD dropped the ball here. Didn't a family member initially tell them that it was the McStay family in the border crossing footage?

But I do know that CM was charged and has been tried. So they did well enough that the DA felt it was a viable case to prosecute.

And after analyzing this case it seems clear to me that CM killed the McStay family.

My son unexpectedly committed suicide a few days after he turned 15. It was so unexpected , not just by us but by his close friends , some visiting with us at the time, that we questioned the possibility of foul play.
I still can’t figure out how he knew what to do or why he decided to do it . He was at a high point in his life with so many positive things going on & we did not witness depression .It was NYE & he had plans for that night.
There was a CSI team at our house while I was at the ER when he was brought in. I had no idea law enforcement was there, but I’m glad it was done . After the autopsy it was ruled a suicide , nothing found in his system.
Just something we have come to live with , setting questions aside , but knowing our son was the only one responsible .
I can’t imagine being in the position of Rebecca’s family . So much turmoil surrounding the circumstances of her death.
A lot of families cannot accept a ruling of suicide . Even if they do , there’s so much stigma attached , they try to hide it.
My son committed suicide .

My son unexpectedly committed suicide a few days after he turned 15. It was so unexpected , not just by us but by his close friends , some visiting with us at the time, that we questioned the possibility of foul play.
I still can’t figure out how he knew what to do or why he decided to do it . He was at a high point in his life with so many positive things going on & we did not witness depression .It was NYE & he had plans for that night.
There was a CSI team at our house while I was at the ER when he was brought in. I had no idea law enforcement was there, but I’m glad it was done . After the autopsy it was ruled a suicide , nothing found in his system.
Just something we have come to live with , setting questions aside , but knowing our son was the only one responsible .
I can’t imagine being in the position of Rebecca’s family . So much turmoil surrounding the circumstances of her death.
A lot of families cannot accept a ruling of suicide . Even if they do , there’s so much stigma attached , they try to hide it.

I am so sorry. Big hugs to you.

Since you can't think of, or discuss a scenario that doesn't include Chase, I see no reason in continuing this conversation.
It's Merritt on trial, not anyone else.

Present a logical suggestion to discuss another scenario.

Chase is all over the radar in this. Checks, DNA on the driver's side of the Trooper, checks; pings the tower near the graves; checks; phone is off for extended periods, CHECKS; zero alibi along with witness tampering.

Did I mention checks? Oh yeah, all back dated and CASHED to go gamble.

Last edited:
Praying for a guilty verdict-1st degree x4 today.
If there’s a hung jury this t
Well Chase is on trial for the murder of this family and it’s pretty concrete that he was at the home trying to forge and then delete a cheque at around 8pm.

So it’s a logical assumption to ask did Chase see these Mexican mafia laying in wait for the family.

MOO
Or did he know they’d been kidnapped so he was free to be at their home & to write himself checks from EIP’s accounts ?
It will always come back to Chase because he did things that implicate him .

How do we really know it was bunk? I recall hearing about multiple sightings, I believe with one of them there was an attempt to lift fingerprints from the restaurant menu but the attempt was unsuccessful.
It was not unsuccessful but determined not to be their prints.

Do you have links for any other sightings? TIA

My heartfelt sadness and condolences to you. Sometimes this life leaves us with more questions than answers, (((Hugs))).

"As I asked you to post proof yesterday and I am still waiting."
The hypothesis is they were being held hostage, so there would be little proof available, after all, hostages are seldom allowed to be seen or make phone calls, credit card purchases etc...

Held hostage for what purpose? Usually hostages are held for their kidnappers to make demands - money, political leverage, freed prisoners. Which was it since no one was contacted in their families?

OR they would have had Joey withdraw money from an ATM...which would've resulted in...dum-dum-dum - transactions! With evidence!

My heartfelt sadness and condolences to you. Sometimes this life leaves us with more questions than answers, (((Hugs))).

@Karinna I couldn’t agree more. Live long enough and there are way more questions than answers.

@MissJames it is my opinion that it took great strength on your part to share your family story. I also send hugs to you.

Held hostage for what purpose? Usually hostages are held for their kidnappers to make demands - money, political leverage, freed prisoners. Which was it since no one was contacted in their families?

OR they would have had Joey withdraw money from an ATM...which would've resulted in...dum-dum-dum - transactions! With evidence!

Also why would you kidnap the family in Mexico and risk bringing them back to the U.S and killing them all here?

It simply makes zero sense!!

IMO

A lifetime of hugs and blessings to you and your family. You are a brave and strong Mother, who has endured more than anyone should experience. Thank you for sharing and offering additional insight.

My gosh Miss James. My heart goes out to you. I'm sure you have a pit in your stomach even writing about it.

Thank you for sharing about the loss of your beautiful son.

New Years Eve is always super depressing for me. I wonder if that's the same for others.

Hugs to you.

It will happen at 2:20pm MDT. Because that is when my dentist appointment is.

This happened to me in Laci and Connor's case. I missed my apppointment. :rolleyes:

Today we have to go to the barn, the farrier comes and other things but nothing that takes me from my phone.

Now, if a verdict does come in where do we think we will be able to watch it? Or will we?

You are supposed to be busy so that verdict will come in . That’s how it works !! A watched pot...

I know! I am really not thinking it will be today anyway. There was just so much for them to go over and over 1000 exhibits, IMO they would want to look at some of them, not all, but some, I think. I have watched enough trials and enough verdicts to know that we probably know nothing about what they are doing or discussing right now, I do wish we had someone giving us updates about their "mood" as they are coming and going though, I think that does provide some insight, but of course, we aren't getting that :confused:

So sorry about your son MissJames :(

This happened to me in Laci and Connor's case. I missed my apppointment. :rolleyes:

Today we have to go to the barn, the farrier comes and other things but nothing that takes me from my phone.

Now, if a verdict does come in where do we think we will be able to watch it? Or will we?

I got the impression from Cathy Russon that they have a camera close because she said they were not allowed to take it into the hearing the other day. If they don't, maybe a local news station?

I know! I am really not thinking it will be today anyway. There was just so much for them to go over and over 1000 exhibits, IMO they would want to look at some of them, not all, but some, I think. I have watched enough trials and enough verdicts to know that we probably know nothing about what they are doing or discussing right now, I do wish we had someone giving us updates about their "mood" as they are coming and going though, I think that does provide some insight, but of course, we aren't getting that :confused:

So sorry about your son MissJames :(

Are they able to listen to recordings and view videos and such without coming out of the deliberation room? Do they pass notes to the judge if they want to see something?

Sorry to read about your son. I wouldn't know how to function if this happened to me.

Having watched mistrials happen over exactly this, I try to ignore it even if it's a gut feeling right now.

I couldn't imagine what it be like watching a retrial in 5 years or so. I also can't imagine how the family is feeling during deliberations right now.

Let's hope 12 people will agree. Then again, just by looking at our poll and all the support and advantage he has had, I can see one or two jurors voting not guilty.

I sure hope I'm wrong and he doesn't get away with this. 4 and half something years in jail is not enough time for this.

He deserves to take his last breath in a cell.

Will he go to San Quentin? They seem really lenient there. Scott Peterson playing basketball and tanning?

Speaking of SP, we had quite a few people who thought he was innocent in websleuths. It's like that in every case.

Including virtually all circumstantial cases where the jury finds the perp guilty.

Jodi Arias. Brad Cooper. Justin Ross Harris. Jason Young.

Significant and passionate minorities on the thread believed these people were innocent.

It's different when you're on the jury.

Maybe this one will hang but several days of deliberation is not a sign of that necessarily:

SP's case -7 days.

JA's case- 26 hours spread over several days.

JRH case - 4 days.

BC - 3 days.

But it could be:

JY - 6 hours. But the first one was hung.

Are they able to listen to recordings and view videos and such without coming out of the deliberation room? Do they pass notes to the judge if they want to see something?

hmmm the recordings and video's that have been entered into evidence should be available to them (interviews, video's of truck, etc.), if that's what you mean? But they would need a computer or something to play them on. As for the notes to the judge, I am not sure we will know how those things are going to be handled until it happens. I do think there are a few people around the court house that should get word out, but not 100% sure.

Ok then. They went to Mexico - what did they do? Where did they stay? What did they eat? Did they spend any money, use CCs? No evidence whatsoever that they were there - no credit card use, motel or hotel stays, restaurant receipts, etc. There is not one iota of evidence that they were there - and that is one place where SDSO did look and try to find out if they were there, and there was also a PI. Nothing was found.

And then what? A drug cartel killed them in Mexico, piled the bodies in the car, and (likely being non-US citizens) somehow snuck into the US in the Trooper, then drove to Victorville and buried them in the desert when they could have dumped them in the Mexican wilderness? Beyond highly implausible.

And don't forget that they had to get the paint from long before to throw in the grave on their clothes with it after they had gone to Mexico. P f f t.

y'all have been so great helping the newbie OP understand Occam's razor and logical thinking when they came in just a month ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member