TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Just to add:
The area where Andy parked was not the so called "Lovers Lane" where everyone hung out to party.
It was down the street some, in the cul-de-sac.
This is another reason I don't believe anyone was lying in wait. The chances of someone knowing they'd park there instead of the party spot would have been slim imo.
Yes, all of the pictures I posted are of the cul-de-sac where they were parked. You can see how someone would have to turn specifically down Enclave Round St., the cul-de-sac road, to see where Andy and Cheryl were parked. It was a very undeveloped area with few roads. It was not well-lit at all.

I tend to believe they were followed there from Bayou Mama’s.

Just to add:
The area where Andy parked was not the so called "Lovers Lane" where everyone hung out to party.
It was down the street some, in the cul-de-sac.
This is another reason I don't believe anyone was lying in wait. The chances of someone knowing they'd park there instead of the party spot would have been slim imo.

I think you are right particularly well you add in the previous strip club connection with the rape. It is my opinion that this crime may be connected to others throughout the US and the ones I have looked at is the Colonial Parkway Murders. Here though I believe the killer trawled an area for victims whereas in this case the club was where he searched for his victims then followed or stalked them to the location in my opinion like some kind of twisted military operation:

Houston police release sketch of 'Lover's Lane' suspect

New podcast episode about the case: Ep63 - Andy Atkinson and Cheryl Henry
Wow Morf. That was quite the podcast.
I have questions.
Please explain to me how in your words "Andy was forced to look on while Cheryl was raped."
How can a person see 100 yards through thick trees in total darkness on a night with no moonlight, seeing as the night of Aug 21st, was a night of a new moon?
If Andy's father is now 70ish, and the murders happened 29 years ago, that would make him 40ish at the time of the murders. If he spent 19 years in prison, that means he went to prison when he was in his early 20s.
Please explain to me in your words how "Andys father had spent decades managing clubs in the Houston area?" How is this even possible?
In the preface of your Podcast, you write "There was even a letter writer who claimed to be the murderer."
Where did this come from? Can you please post the letter, or the link that claims this?

Entertaining Podcast... Great sensationalism, but with all due respect, IMO loaded with things that make no sense what so ever.

Wow. That podcast was awful. A lot of sensationalism, untruths, and things that nobody could possibly know except Andy or Cheryl. Mixed in with a few facts found from online articles.

Just for starters, Cheryl did not work for Garland. Cheryl worked in an office the summer she died. They did not meet at Rick’s.

So much B.S., I can’t even. There are also two glaring mistakes on your podcast written introduction, by the way.

Wow Morf. That was quite the podcast.
I have questions.
Please explain to me how in your words "Andy was forced to look on while Cheryl was raped."
How can a person see 100 yards through thick trees in total darkness on a night with no moonlight, seeing as the night of Aug 21st, was a night of a new moon?
If Andy's father is now 70ish, and the murders happened 29 years ago, that would make him 40ish at the time of the murders. If he spent 19 years in prison, that means he went to prison when he was in his early 20s.
Please explain to me in your words how "Andys father had spent decades managing clubs in the Houston area?" How is this even possible?
In the preface of your Podcast, you write "There was even a letter writer who claimed to be the murderer."
Where did this come from? Can you please post the letter, or the link that claims this?

Entertaining Podcast... Great sensationalism, but with all due respect, IMO loaded with things that make no sense what so ever.
Exactly. Throwing a bunch of gobbledygook together does not a podcast make.

Wow. That podcast was awful. A lot of sensationalism, untruths, and things that nobody could possibly know except Andy or Cheryl. Mixed in with a few facts found from online articles.

Just for starters, Cheryl did not work for Garland. Cheryl worked in an office the summer she died. They did not meet at Rick’s.

So much B.S., I can’t even. There are also two glaring mistakes on your podcast written introduction, by the way.
I couldn't agree more.
They were not found on the 24th of August either, as was stated on the podcast.
If Cheryl was working at Ricks at the time of the murders, LE would have known about that within a few days, even if she hadn't worked there for a few years because they would have had her entire work history. Even if that information was withheld (which imo I doubt) they would have known by 2008.
Podcast time stamp 26:40, Garland's all over the place with his statements. First he's not sure if the family knew she worked there or not because he states that Cheryl may have told her mother, (but he's not sure). Chris told the cold squad in 2008 that she worked at Ricks, yet LE didn't find out til 25 years later when her sister told them? Which is it?
Who's to say that it was Cheryl's idea to drive to the cul-de-sac? Nobody knows that. They could have went there before that night, and Andy may have known the way there.
IMO, it's one thing to state untruths here on this thread, where someone can be corrected, but will those same untruths be corrected on a podcast that possibly thousands of people have listened to and now have bad, misleading and untruthful information?

I couldn't agree more.
They were not found on the 24th of August either, as was stated on the podcast.
If Cheryl was working at Ricks at the time of the murders, LE would have known about that within a few days, even if she hadn't worked there for a few years because they would have had her entire work history. Even if that information was withheld (which imo I doubt) they would have known by 2008.
Podcast time stamp 26:40, Garland's all over the place with his statements. First he's not sure if the family knew she worked there or not because he states that Cheryl may have told her mother, (but he's not sure). Chris told the cold squad in 2008 that she worked at Ricks, yet LE didn't find out til 25 years later when her sister told them? Which is it?
Who's to say that it was Cheryl's idea to drive to the cul-de-sac? Nobody knows that. They could have went there before that night, and Andy may have known the way there.
IMO, it's one thing to state untruths here on this thread, where someone can be corrected, but will those same untruths be corrected on a podcast that possibly thousands of people have listened to and now have bad, misleading and untruthful information?
God, don’t even get me started. You are spot on. I held back in my earlier post. I was making a list of every untruth and fabrication but gave up.

Do people really think Cheryl’s distraught family would intentionally lie to the police about where she worked? Or that the police don’t know where she worked at which time?

If she worked for Garland, why would he hold back that bombshell for 28 years? Do these podcasters even think about what they spew?

So much made up stuff to make it a sexier story. A year. She hadn’t worked there for a year before her murder. Saying stripper in aghast tones over and over doesn’t make your podcast true or interesting. Not one mention of the office where she worked, or that she was a college student. Saying office worker in hushed tones isn’t as sexy.

I’m sorry for Garland’s loss, but he needs to think about what he says. His son’s latest squeeze?

Ha! Thousands? Maybe tens. I regret giving it my listen.

Last edited:
Let’s not get sidetracked and forget who we’re here for. These two beautiful young people.

21kl5dh.png

do3qyb.png

Last edited:
This is the composite sketch of the murderer drawn in 2008. The article says it was aged from 1990, but the guy in the sketch still looks in his 30’s so I don’t know. He is probably in his 60’s now? It needs to be aged again.

s3jyj6.png

She said he was a white man in his mid-30s, about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds with brown hair, brown eyes, a possible mustache and olive skin.

Andy’s car the night it was found.
vzu7wp.jpg

Missing Pieces: Police using new technology to help solve 'Lovers Lane murders'

This is the composite sketch of the murderer drawn in 2008. The article says it was aged from 1990, but the guy in the sketch still looks in his 30’s so I don’t know. He is probably in his 60’s now? It needs to be aged again.

s3jyj6.png

Andy’s car the night it was found.
vzu7wp.jpg

Missing Pieces: Police using new technology to help solve 'Lovers Lane murders'

Interesting to me a few clues are the guy was described as having an olive complexion, cocked the gun with his left hand and had a military demeanour and told the rape victim she should have been more careful and locked her windows.

Remind me, at what point did they part ways with the couple who was with them?

I’m wondering if perhaps the initial abduction was not the location where the car was found. Maybe it was the perp who knew about this isolated culdesac.

I just want to make a couple of statements to clear up some things on the podcast and move on. Billy Belk was one of the primary detectives on the case. He is well known and well respected and has since retired. He has kept in touch with my family ever since. He would have known exactly where Cheryl had worked and when. My family did not intentionally hold back any information. Everyone would have told anything we knew to help solve this. I lived with Cheryl that summer (1990) and she was excited about her job at an eye doctor where she was making good money. Cheryl and Andy were introduced by a mutual friend of ours. Our friend met a guy that worked at Gold's Gym with Andy and that guy and our friend introduced Cheryl and Andy at Yucatan Liquor Stand which was a bar close to the Galleria area. We had lots of fun had there back in the day! Other items I will hold back on as Rocky1 and Snoods made alot of good points and have good questions. The area where they were parked was not a known "Lovers Lane" area. This area was down a bit from a spot that teenagers/college kids from the area would meet up, listen to music and drink. When the detectives first spoke with me and my stepsister we indicated it was close to place we went to "hang out" and through media and headlines that turned into a "Lovers Lane". The most important point is that there are two families that want justice for the brutal murder of their loved ones.

Interesting to me a few clues are the guy was described as having an olive complexion, cocked the gun with his left hand and had a military demeanour and told the rape victim she should have been more careful and locked her windows.

Interesting! I don’t know about anyone else, but I somehow glossed over the fact that he is left-handed. The rape victim says he held the gun in his left hand.

I’m a lefty myself so I’m not leftist? but are there any other lefties here who notice how many left-handed serial killers there are? (Also an inordinate amount have the middle name Wayne, which is strange.)

This study is interesting.

According to a Yale University study people who are left-handed are at greater risk of psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. When researchers polled patients at a mental-health clinic, 40% of those with schizophrenia or schizoaffective said they wrote with their left hand; that's considerably higher than the 10% of lefties found in the general population. me mood disorders.

Studies have also shown links between left-handedness and dyslexia, ADHD, and some mood disorders.

Edit to add: Only 10% of the population are left-handed. This narrows down any suspect list.

20 things you didn't know about being left-handed - CNN

Last edited:
Thank you for setting things straight, @mocity.

Yucatan Liquor Stand was so much fun. Also Sam’s Boat, and while we’re dating ourselves, do you remember the Lizard Lounge?

Remind me, at what point did they part ways with the couple who was with them?

I’m wondering if perhaps the initial abduction was not the location where the car was found. Maybe it was the perp who knew about this isolated culdesac.
They parted ways at the Bayou Mama.
The abduction happened where the car was found.

Interesting! I don’t know about anyone else, but I somehow glossed over the fact that he is left-handed. The rape victim says he held the gun in his left hand.

I’m a lefty myself so I’m not leftist? but are there any other lefties here who notice how many left-handed serial killers there are? (Also an inordinate amount have the middle name Wayne, which is strange.)

This study is interesting.

Edit to add: Only 10% of the population are left-handed. This narrows down any suspect list.

20 things you didn't know about being left-handed - CNN

Good post. I know DNA is the way a killer in this type of case is likely to be identified eventually but as an amateur sleuth if you do not have access to the DNA I have always found it best to concentrate on the description and mannerisms of the offender to look for commonalities. These are horrible crimes but of course the rape victim lived and therefore she has good witness testimony that unfortunately the other two victims cannot provide. People cannot change who they are including Serial Killers they can only disguise certain things. I tend to think about the same things and sometime say the same thing and phrases until picked up on it and I would bet this offender had a habit of telling his victims they should have been my careful with their security arrangements. Here is some of it:

Details still fresh
The victim reported she had left her job at GiGi's about 2 a.m. June 20, 1990, and returned to her boyfriend's house at 7826 Terra Cotta. Her boyfriend, a commercial pilot, was traveling, so she ate takeout alone in the living room.
"Then she walked upstairs heading towards the bedroom and a man popped out of her bedroom door," Miller said.

The man wore a fishnet stocking over his face, black gloves, and a dark shirt and pants that matched, possibly a uniform. He held a long-barrelled handgun in his left hand. "Where's Randy?" he asked, referring to her boyfriend by name.

The man taunted her, putting the gun to her head and cocking it. He bound her hands behind her back with gray duct tape before taking cash from her purse. Then he duct-taped her eyes and mouth shut, threw her on the bed and shoved a bag or pillowcase over her head.

"He became very vulgar with her while he was raping her, and he told her she wasn't very observant, that he had a military uniform, which was probably him trying to throw her off the fact that he might've had a security guard uniform on," Miller said.

After he finished, the man ordered the woman to lie on the floor and not move. "I may be in the house for an hour or for five minutes," he said.

The woman later discovered he'd disconnected the phone and put the receiver under the mattress.

When Miller tracked the woman down in Galveston County, she still remembered her attacker's features through the fishnet stocking. On Friday, she described him for Lois Gibson, HPD's forensic artist.

She said he was a white man in his mid-30s, about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds with brown hair, brown eyes, a possible mustache and olive skin.

Miller hopes someone will recognize the sketch. He also wants to hear from other women the man might have raped.

"We know there are other victims," he said. "I still think he's out there, and he is who he is — a rapist and a killer. He still could be doing this today."

DNA may help break notorious 'Lover's Lane' murders

Thank you for setting things straight, @mocity.

Yucatan Liquor Stand was so much fun. Also Sam’s Boat, and while we’re dating ourselves, do you remember the Lizard Lounge?

Yes! Cheryl also waited tables at Sam's Boat and had a lot of friends there. When this happened Sam's Boat personally put up their own award for $10K and had that posted in the bar/restaurant for years.

Yes, all of the pictures I posted are of the cul-de-sac where they were parked. You can see how someone would have to turn specifically down Enclave Round St., the cul-de-sac road, to see where Andy and Cheryl were parked. It was a very undeveloped area with few roads. It was not well-lit at all.

I tend to believe they were followed there from Bayou Mama’s.
True, not lit well at all. A while back, I looked at pictures of the cul-de-sac, and if I remember right, there were no light poles.
I can't say for sure, but I doubt anyone would have seen the car driving down Enclave Round St and past the cul-de-sac on a night with no moon. If it's true about the cassette player still playing when the car was found the next day, that means the dome light was not on. If it was, the battery would have been dead by then.
Add no lighting from light poles, along with it raining, and many mosquitos, and to me anyway, says Andy was not out of the car hitting golf balls.

I would say of course the $29 dollar bill at the crime scene was some kind of vile insult by the killer towards to the victim. To him this is what her life was worth. Does anyone know where the balloons came from:

There were also four partially deflated balloons found tied to the tree above Cheryl's body, and a crisp $20 bill was lying next to her.

Houston's Creepiest Unsolved Murder Mysteries

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20