The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was when the Queen rose to her feet, not once but twice, that it became clear just who were the honoured guests at this commemoration. Not the presidents or the prime ministers, not the military brass nor the servicemen and women who made the ceremony snap and sing.

The Queen said that when she attended the 60th anniversary of D-Day some thought it might be the last such event. But, she said, the wartime generation - my generation, she emphasised - is resilient. All true. But the men who stepped forward to bathe in the applause of the audience today are looking ever more frail. And one by one they are leaving us.

And so the Queen stood, twice - to honour them for the nation, and to thank them, from her heart.

Queen praises D-Day 'courage and sacrifice'

Critics back home sneer she’s icy and remote - but as she dazzles in London, one new admirer says: Stop being so mean to Melania!

Interesting article from the DM.
Stop being so mean to Melania! | Daily Mail Online

Our last two First Ladies have gotten raked over the coals. I attribute much of it to social media advancing and becoming huge.

Some of us are a little confused with Melania’s anti cyber bullying campaign.

Melania is a European woman. She must have felt at home on this trip. I think things like navigating a state visit like this come very naturally to her. She actually lends some stability to our president, imo. She’s like the calm in the middle of a hurricane. She’s really unflappable. There have been some salicious revelations that have come out.

Meliana is also a bit of a mystery. She is hard to understand when she speaks. She does light up around children, though. And that’s very sweet to see. It really softens her.

It also takes a while to come into one's own in this role. It’s only been two years, even though it feels like a hundred, sometimes! :confused:

It think Meliana kept the state visit boat cruising, and also helped to pace her husband.

-jmo

Actually the way I understand it, we're supposed to stick to discussion of the trip within MSM parameters and not post old articles criticizing his hair.

He's certainly not the only one who has received hairstyle criticism on here, we've discussed William's baldness and Meghan's messy hair and nobody batted an eyelid.

Anyway, he's gone now. To cite a very British phrase, today's news will be tomorrow's fish & chip wrapping.

Our last two First Ladies have gotten raked over the coals. I attribute much of it to social media advancing and becoming huge.

Some of us are a little confused with Melania’s anti cyber bullying campaign.

She is hard to understand when she speaks. She does light up around children, though. And that’s very sweet to see. It really softens her.

Melania has certainly looked the First Lady part this trip. Interesting you say she's hard to understand as I don't think I've ever heard her speak - does she still have a Slovene accent?

Not sure Michelle Obama got raked over the coals in the UK, they are fairly popular over here. I'd quite like one of them to take over from Theresa :D

Actually the way I understand it, we're supposed to stick to discussion of the trip within MSM parameters and not post old articles criticizing his hair.

I guess I missed that part of the memo about not posting old articles that discuss his hair. :) His hair is not political. We were discussing the trip and his hair came up in an article regarding the trip. My post was just some harmless fun to give the Brits here some background. We critique Meghan’s hair all the time. That’s the sort of thing we talk about here on this thread. I had no idea Trump’s hair could be inflammatory to some.

It must be miraculous. Somehow we’ve managed to go through seven threads with a wonderful group of posters. And, we’ve been really respectful. Imo.

Posting hairstyles from msm is about fashion... as in the spirit of the title of the thread.

It’s kind of current too, as our president surprised us with a never seen before slicked back hairstyle at a church service right before he got on the plane to the U.K.

There are too many articles to mention that are trying to figure out our presidents hairstyle. But I have read a fun ribbing account from his daughter, Ivanka.

It is my feeling the spirit on this lovely thread is lighthearted.

I’d like to say it’s been so much fun learning all about the BRF, history, and to feel a kinship during this important royal state visit. ❤️

Anyway, he's gone now. To cite a very British phrase, today's news will be tomorrow's fish & chip wrapping.
Mmmm ... Chips! With loads of salt 'n vinegar :)
grid-cell-10676-1422905782-4.jpg

I’d like to say it’s been so much fun learning all about the BRF, history, and to feel a kinship during this important royal state visit. ❤️

I totally agree. I've learned a lot more about your President and his family, too.

It's at times like this (Brexit, new leader, political in-fighting, playground tactics) that I am glad we have the Royal Family to focus on instead.

Could do with some Archie pics soon though please!!

I totally agree. I've learned a lot more about your President and his family, too.

It's at times like this (Brexit, new leader, political in-fighting, playground tactics) that I am glad we have the Royal Family to focus on instead.

I am patiently waiting! I want to see Archie too.

It'll just be a picture of a baby. I'm looking forward to seeing the commemoration tomorrow from Normandy, it should be very moving.

Montreal is one place that I would to visit!

I might be coming to Canada soon (ish) as we have family in Toronto and Vancouver and one aunt is now too old to visit the UK again. Montreal also really appeals to me, but oh the distances involved from one side to the other, it won't be a quick trip!!

It must be miraculous. Somehow we’ve managed to go through seven threads with a wonderful group of posters. And, we’ve been really respectful. Imo.

Posting hairstyles from msm is about fashion... as in the spirit of the title of the thread.

It’s kind of current too, as our president surprised us with a never seen before slicked back hairstyle at a church service right before he got on the plane to the U.K.

There are too many articles to mention that are trying to figure out our presidents hairstyle. But I have read a fun ribbing account from his daughter, Ivanka.

I suppose we have a different definition of lighthearted. Some of this is just mean spirited and an opportunity for some to take jabs at the President and his family. IMO of course.

Yeah - Totally!
;) & more environmentally friendly, re-cycling paper, not use-once oversized 'PLASTIC' boxes.

I refuse to have fish and chips in styrofoam boxes. Fortunately, the chippies round here all use paper, but not newspaper (I swear the ink added to the taste!)

A quick google tells me newspaper stopped being used in around 1985 when food regulations got an overhaul.

Yeah - Totally!
;) & more environmentally friendly, re-cycling paper, not use-once oversized 'PLASTIC' boxes.

Are the fries with vinegar in paper a British original? A couple of times I’ve found them in NYC. —O.m.g., yum! And in Montreal they added mayonnaise with the vinegar. Double yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member