Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you pm me your cell number I can text you when I find out there is a verdict. I promise I won’t call you and breathe heavily into the phone, lol. It would be cost-prohibitive to call you anyway! I think a text would be not too much though.

Can one of you like me in too? And @Frankie Hellis, if it’s a guilty verdict, you can heavy breathe all you want! Lol.

The fact that the jury is predominantly female makes me think they are much more likely to convict than not...

Wow! I don't know what to think about that!

I dont think we should think anything about it one way or the other.

The same reports have been said about other jurors leaving for the day. They have come to know each other well so of course they are going to laugh when saying goodbye for the day.

Imo, it means nothing as if it is saying they dont care about the seriousness of the case. Imo, they do.

Jmho

There is no way 11 out of 12 can't find guilt here. I think its way more likely its 11 guilty with one holdout. I'm thinking they will not be able to issue a verdict. I just wonder how long until they tell the judge that it is hopeless.

imo.

I'm just tossing out worst case scenario. The jury may be as lackadaisical as the trial system. Who knows?

JD Crighton (@JDCrighton) | Twitter
Not in courtroom but alternating between the cold, hard bench in the hallway and my vehicle :) Jurors just left, presumably for 90 min lunch. Too far for me w/ traffic so I must stick around in case of verdict
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 4m4 minutes ago
#McStay - Report from our producer at the courthouse: Most jurors were laughing/joking as they left the courthouse today. One male juror "appeared somber". That could mean nothing or something. Just an observation.

View attachment 187839
I don't like it.
Death penalty case.
2 parents.
2 young children.
Family anxiously waiting for justice after 9 long years.
Do they even grasp the gravity of this case?
Makes me ill.

The fact that the jury is predominantly female makes me think they are much more likely to convict than not...

Interesting. I was doing some reading last night, wondering if there were studies about female vs male jurors, from what I found, there really isn't. There may be differences in how they look at the evidence or analyze the evidence, or in how vocal/not vocal they are, but other than sexual assault crimes where they were more likely to convict than a male juror, there are really no noticeable differences. JMO Something that I had forgotten or didn't even know was that George Zimmerman had an all female jury ( only 6 jurors though), he was found not guilty.

You could be right. Even if they came up with a unanimous guilty (or not guilty) verdict immediately, it’s been a long trial with lots of evidence and distractions. They would be wise to review the evidence to be sure they are basing their decision on the evidence rather than feelings. I know that if I were on a jury, I’d want to be sure of my vote and be able to defend my vote if asked.
They would have to be there to review evidence.

Interesting. I was doing some reading last night, wondering if there were studies about female vs male jurors, from what I found, there really isn't. There may be differences in how they look at the evidence or analyze the evidence, or in how vocal/not vocal they are, but other than sexual assault crimes where they were more likely to convict than a male juror, there are really no noticeable differences. JMO Something that I had forgotten or didn't even know was that George Zimmerman had an all female jury ( only 6 jurors though), he was found not guilty.
The OJ women jurors loved him. "You want to claim domestic violence? Take that down the hall to the other court room". Then several went back to his house to celebrate with champagne. I'm so disgusted. Thinking it's time for me to take a break from all of this. Never ending.

I dont think we should think anything about it one way or the other.

The same reports have been said about other jurors leaving for the day. They have come to know each other well so of course they are going to laugh when saying goodbye for the day.

Imo, it means nothing as if it is saying they dont care about the seriousness of the case. Imo, they do.

Jmho
Agree about their demeanor . Not happy about the time put into deliberations.
I just strongly believe this should be taken very seriously & putting in a few hours a day does not give the appearance that it IS being taken seriously.
Maybe there’s a good explaination but I can’t imagine what that would be.

I'm just tossing out worst case scenario. The jury may be as lackadaisical as the trial system. Who knows?

Maybe we could send in Wallace to find out? :D :D

It's nice to finally hear "something" about them. And it's good if it appears they are still getting along, who knows, maybe they haven't even taken a vote yet, maybe they are just going through the evidence/comparing notes, clarifying things that they haven't been able to talk about for 5 months. With only 17 hours in, it's really not that long. As for the guy that looked "somber"... maybe he is frustrated, maybe he didn't get a lot of sleep last night, maybe his lunch was sitting well, maybe he was stuck in a room with 9 women all day, maybe he didn't want to leave so early, maybe he was dreading heading out in the traffic... who really knows!

#McStay - Report from our producer at the courthouse: Most jurors were laughing/joking as they left the courthouse today. One male juror "appeared somber". That could mean nothing or something. Just an observation.

View attachment 187839
One male juror: "Hey guys, does anyone think DK is the real killer?"
(Jury room explodes in laughter)
Jury Foreman: "on that note why don't we break for the day? I think someone here needs some rest."

The OJ women jurors loved him. "You want to claim domestic violence? Take that down the hall to the other court room". Then several went back to his house to celebrate with champagne. I'm so disgusted. Thinking it's time for me to take a break from all of this. Never ending.

hmmm I'm not sure that is comparable, OJ was well known, that whole trial was a media circus. The media left this circus on Jan 8th, they returned for a bit of the closing arguments, some didn't even stay for all of that lol

One male juror: "Hey guys, does anyone think DK is the real killer?"
(Jury room explodes in laughter)
Jury Foreman: "on that note why don't we break for the day? I think someone here needs some rest."
Hey! Don't. Even. Joke. About. This! You may not realize, but there are posters who would read your post and take it as fact. I'm not even going to get into the seriousness of these deliberations for fear it will be lost on many.

They would have to be there to review evidence.

Well you’re right about that! :) But not having sat through this trial for months, I’m going to assume the best. They could be tired and possibly shorter days work better at the moment to avoid brain overload. Sometimes, if you work smart you can accomplish a lot in a short time. Last on my list of possibilities is that they aren’t taking this seriously. They’ve sacrificed a lot and I have faith they aren’t going to do a sloppy job now.
JMO

Maybe we could send in Wallace to find out? :D :D

It's nice to finally hear "something" about them. And it's good if it appears they are still getting along, who knows, maybe they haven't even taken a vote yet, maybe they are just going through the evidence/comparing notes, clarifying things that they haven't been able to talk about for 5 months. With only 17 hours in, it's really not that long. As for the guy that looked "somber"... maybe he is frustrated, maybe he didn't get a lot of sleep last night, maybe his lunch was sitting well, maybe he was stuck in a room with 9 women all day, maybe he didn't want to leave so early, maybe he was dreading heading out in the traffic... who really knows!
At this point Missy I could care less if they get along.

View attachment 187839
There is nothing to be assumed by the jurors demeanor. They know they are being watched by media. They may have agreed in advance to put on smiley faces when leaving the courthouse.

I don't think any of us are going to forget how this trial was run. Such a pitiful joke.

I don't think we will be able to forget. I think we will be hearing about it in the appeals for years to come.

At this point there should be a serious effort to deliberate . I’m not feeling very confident about the outcome right now. Hearing they took another long lunch & left early is unsettling .

It is very unsettling. I mean I understand leaving when you've reached a good stopping point. But I can't imagine it deliberating through lunch or taking a shorter lunch. Then again I am used to 30 minute lunches and no breaks during trial.

This is a serious question . I’m not trying to be funny :
Are they allowed to have alcoholic drinks at lunch in the middle of deliberating ?

I know I'd certainly want one! But no. Not allowed.

You could be right. Even if they came up with a unanimous guilty (or not guilty) verdict immediately, it’s been a long trial with lots of evidence and distractions. They would be wise to review the evidence to be sure they are basing their decision on the evidence rather than feelings. I know that if I were on a jury, I’d want to be sure of my vote and be able to defend my vote if asked.

This is a huge thing for me, defending your vote. I feel like if you can send a man to prison for life you should absolutely be willing to explain your reasoning.

When jurors don't want to talk after a verdict, I wonder if that means they aren't certain about it. (Not to the media, to investigators.)

I've wondered if that shouldn't be part of the requirement for jury service. A 10 question survey after the trial? Something like that.

It's something that could really be useful to the justice system. Understanding how to do jury instructions and where things can be clarified.

This is what I'm worried about. That nobody is taking this seriously. This is a capital murder case. Not a shoplifting trial. I've seriously seen misdemeanor cases handled more professionally.

There is nothing to be assumed by the jurors demeanor. They know they are being watched by media. They may have agreed in advance to put on smiley faces when leaving the courthouse.

Yes and that one juror just didn't follow the pack. Very possible. However it bothers me anyway, this is serious. Did a false accusation case once. The accuser left court laughing when the jury went to deliberate, as the defendants children walked in crying. It made me sick.

I just wish someone would take this seriously. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb