GUILTY AR - Former State Senator, Linda Collins-Smith, 57, found dead, June 2019 *ARREST*

Charlotte Douglas, the former state representative, posted a statement on Facebook early Wednesday in which she referred to her recent conversation with Collins-Smith.

"As I talked to her a week ago we discussed her optimism for a new opportunity in DC," Douglas wrote.

Douglas said Wednesday in an interview that Collins-Smith told her that she had an interview in Washington, D.C., and "was excited about it." Douglas said she doesn't know the position the interview involved.
Filing confirms former Arkansas senator's death;
reports under gag order after Collins-Smith’s body found

Who smells the possibility the ex will commit suicide?

That would explain away his death and also cover her murder?

I hope LE is digging deeply into what happened to her and him. It is AK.

I'm sure all this is absolutely devastating for their grown children/grandchildren, parents. etc.

Last edited:
Certainly looks like motive might be found close-ish to home.

Perhaps O/T, but wasn't she a (very conservative) Democrat who then switched parties? I seem to recall reading about her a few years ago in a piece about conservative lawmakers who switched from blue to red.

That's correct. She switched parties VERY shortly after being elected.

State Police confirms Linda Collins-Smith’s identity in Pocahontas death

The Arkansas State Police has received confirmation this morning from the state medical examiner that the remains discovered at a homicide scene in Randolph County late Tuesday (June 4, 2019) are those of former state senator, Linda Collins-Smith.

Special Agents of the state police Criminal Investigation Division along with deputies of the Randolph County Sheriff’s Department are continuing their work related to the case.

At this juncture in the investigation, the Arkansas State Police does not anticipate any further statements related to the case until an arrest may occur.

Note that the release provides no information about cause of death. Various unnamed officials have told reporters she was shot, but no one has been quoted by name to that effect. No suspects have been identified to date. Identification was delayed because she apparently had been dead and left outside for several days, leading to decomposition of the body. Dental records and fingerprints were checked in the identification process.

The state of the body also could complicate determining cause of death, which is being investigated as a homicide. That is, she died from an outside force. The body was found wrapped in some type of covering. Evidence of the crime also was reportedly found inside her home. She had owned her home with her ex-husband, retired Circuit Judge Philip Smith, but it had been awarded to her in a property settlement in their October divorce. She was contesting that property division before the Arkansas Court of Appeals.

Last edited:
State Police confirms Linda Collins-Smith’s identity in Pocahontas death

The Arkansas State Police has received confirmation this morning from the state medical examiner that the remains discovered at a homicide scene in Randolph County late Tuesday (June 4, 2019) are those of former state senator, Linda Collins-Smith.

Special Agents of the state police Criminal Investigation Division along with deputies of the Randolph County Sheriff’s Department are continuing their work related to the case.

At this juncture in the investigation, the Arkansas State Police does not anticipate any further statements related to the case until an arrest may occur.

Note that the release provides no information about cause of death. Various unnamed officials have told reporters she was shot, but no one has been quoted by name to that effect. No suspects have been identified to date. Identification was delayed because she apparently had been dead and left outside for several days, leading to decomposition of the body. Dental records and fingerprints were checked in the identification process.

The state of the body also could complicate determining cause of death, which is being investigated as a homicide. That is, she died from an outside force. The body was found wrapped in some type of covering. Evidence of the crime also was reportedly found inside her home. She had owned her home with her ex-husband, retired Circuit Judge Philip Smith, but it had been awarded to her in a property settlement in their October divorce. She was contesting that property division before the Arkansas Court of Appeals.

If I was interested in buying a home, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if a dead body had lain in there for days. MOO. It is odd that the body was outside and wrapped. It surely would have taken some extra time to do that unless she was outside at the time of her murder.

First, we should avoid conspiracy theories; most indicate only the death of critical thinking. But, interestingly, just next door, in OK, another former Republican state senator dies as a result of gun violence:

Norman police investigating death of former state lawmaker

I had never heard about this one. It wasn't suicide...gun was across the room on a table. I do hope they find out what happened and why.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you" ..Joseph Heller.

I had never heard about this one. It wasn't suicide...gun was across the room on a table. I do hope they find out what happened and why.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you" ..Joseph Heller.

I was looking for a thread on the former Norman lawmaker. I don't think suicide has been ruled out. It's possible death wasn't instantaneous. (sorry).

Nichols had close ties with the former long-term and very well-known president of the University of Oklahoma, who is now under multiple investigations for alleged sexual abuse of young men. It's unfolding to be a pretty serious scandal. (lots more in the news about that).

That being said, the Boren allegations and what they may uncover might well have nothing to do with this man's death.

Former University of Oklahoma President Faces Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Alleged sexual misconduct by OU's David Boren, Tripp Hall didn't prompt immediate Title IX inquiry, accusers say

Alleged sexual misconduct by OU's David Boren, Tripp Hall didn't prompt immediate Title IX inquiry, accusers say

What struck me was that the neighbors heard gunshots just a few days ago and yet the body was already decomposed. Even if the weather was warm, wouldn't it take longer to decompose than just a few days? Which opens the possibility that she was killed earlier, and then someone added gunshots later in order to confuse the investigative timeline. Unlikely but possible, I suppose.
They were my thoughts too and I have been to a. LOT of crime scenes with deceased bodies both suspicious and non suspicious and it’s highly unlikely that in my experience and opinion, that a body would be unrecognisable within a couple of days or so much so that decomposition would render it unrecognisable. A gunshot to the face however......

June 10, 2019 7:22 am [CDT]
A Facebook page has been created to spread word of a remembrance event Tuesday morning at the Capitol for former Republican Sen. Linda Collins, who was found dead at her home last Tuesday near Pocahontas.

Ken Yang, who had worked in Collins’ political campaigns, said the family would issue a statement as part of the event at 10 a.m. The notice encourages those who attend to wear red, as the former senator often did.

[SBM]

During her political career, she was known as Linda Collins-Smith, but her obituary notice identifies her as Linda Collins. She was divorced last fall from retired Circuit Judge Philip Smith and had begun using the name Linda Collins on social media.

[SBM]”
Remembrance set Tuesday for former Sen. Linda Collins - Arkansas Times

“Linda F. Collins of Pocahontas, Arkansas
| 1962 - 2019 | Obituary”

“Linda F. Collins, 57, of Pocahontas, Arkansas, passed away at her home. Linda was born on April 17, 1962, in Pocahontas, Arkansas, to Benny and Carolyn Vernice Hunnicutt Collins.

Linda was a loving mother, daughter, grandmother, sister, niece, co-worker, neighbor, and friend.

Linda loved God, her family, her state, and her country. She was a member of the Sutton Free Will Baptist Church, in Pocahontas.

Linda accomplished much good during her lifetime. She was a former Arkansas State Representative and former Arkansas State Senator. In addition, she was a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. She was a member of the following organizations: Gun Owners of America, Arkansas Hospitality Association, National Federation of Independent Business, Arkansas Chamber of Commerce, Randolph County Arkansas Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Arkansas Lodging Association, Lower Mississippi Delta Development Council, and the Arkansas Federation of Republican Women. Linda was also proud to be the founder of the Randolph County Tourism Association and a supporter of the Patriots of Act 746, in Arkansas.

[SBM]

All services for Linda F. Collins will be held at the Sutton Free Will Baptist Church, in Pocahontas, Arkansas. Visitation will be from 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm, on Friday, June 14, 2019. Linda’s funeral service will begin at 10:00 am, on Saturday, June 15, 2019; Kevin Barnett and Milburn Teasley, officiating. A private family burial will be held immediately following Linda’s funeral service.

[SBM]”
Obituary for Linda F. Collins at Fears Family Funeral Home

Updated Jun 8, 2019 at 12:59am
“Philip Smith, the ex-husband of former, now deceased Arkansas lawmaker Linda Collins-Smith, is a retired controversial judge who agreed to not serve on the bench anymore.

[SBM]

Here’s what you need to know:

[SBM]

[Collins-Smith and Smith] separated in 2016 before filing for divorce the following year, according to court records.

[The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette] alleges that the divorce was considered ‘bitter’ and involved disagreements over property and money. The divorce was finalized in 2018.

The divorce led to employment-related problems for Philip Smith. The retired judge was reprimanded by the Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission, the Arkansas Times reported in February 2019.

The already retired judge, who left the bench in 2017, ‘agreed not to serve in the judiciary in the future, including by temporary assignment,’ the newspaper reported, adding that the complaint ‘arose from testimony’ he provided during his divorce from Collins-Smith. He was accused of using office ‘computer equipment after hours for ‘extrajudicial activities’ that were not specified, according to The Arkansas Times.

You can read the press release announcing the reprimand here. It alleges that Smith admitted ‘under oath, during divorce litigation…that you improperly used court computer equipment after regular work hours at the office.’

[SBM]

The Smiths’ daughter-in-law wrote a heartbroken tribute to Linda Collins-Smith on Facebook. ‘This amazing woman is my mother-in-law, my children’s grandmommy, the love of my life mom. Linda Collins loved her family,’ wrote Jennifer McKenzie-Smith on Facebook.

‘Now, a monster has taken her away from us. My children can no longer make new memories with thier grandmommy, my husband doesn’t have his mom, I dont have my mother in law. This is the most hardest thing to go through, there are no words to describe the pain, and heartache.I want to Thank everyone for all the love, and support. She will be missed but never forgotten. Love you Grandmommy. #justiceforLinda.”

[SBM]

Philip Smith has been in the news before in a bizarre ways. In 2018, for example, he was allegedly assaulted in a grocery store.

According to NEA Report, a man was accused of ramming his shoulder into Smith during what started as a verbal dispute.

As for his ex-wife’s death, the Arkansas State Police, which is handling the case, has said very little. ‘The Arkansas State Police was contacted late yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, June 5, 2019), and requested to provide investigative assistance at a residence in Pocahontas (Randolph County).

[SBM]

Special Agents of the department’s Criminal Investigation Division were met at the location by Randolph County Sheriff’s Department personnel who reported individuals, familiar with the person who resided at the home, had discovered human remains outside the home.’

[SBM]

According to the Areawide Media story, Phil Smith once worked as a journalist. That career was fairly short-lived, though.

He worked for the Jonesboro Sun and Arkansas Democrat, positions he held while in college and after leaving the Army, the site reported, adding, ‘He and his wife own and operate the Days Inn and Suites in Pocahontas.’

[SBM]” (BBM)
Philip Smith, Linda Collins-Smith’s Husband: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

What We Know About Deaths of 2 State Senators Within Days Last Week
Two former state senators were found dead in their homes within a span of two days last week, prompting investigations in two states

June 10, 2019

"....On Thursday night, former Oklahoma state senator Jonathan Nichols was discovered dead inside his Norman, OK., residence from an apparent gunshot wound, according to a press release from Norman Police Department.

The former lawmaker’s death came two days after former Arkansas state senator Linda Collins-Smith was found dead in her home, also from an apparent gunshot wound.

Here are four things to know about the cases...."

What We Know About Gun Deaths of 2 State Senators Within Days Last Week

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla