CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

No reason at all; just defaulting to the most likely, as far as I know. Maybe it is "Calib," or possibly it's a nickname for a man based on his last name. For example, Alibrandi or Alibay. Especially if he served in the military, as we have speculated, it's very common to use last names and to assign nicknames. All MOO.

I went to college with a dude known as Libby. It was short for Leiberman.

Question- is there any reason that we believe Lib is female, besides their name?
I know its traditionally a girl-s nickname, but maybe there was Caleb?

That's certainly possible, and I agree that you're right. Technically, there's no reason to assume Lib is female.

But since "Lib" is more often a nickname for a female name like Elizabeth, Olivia, or even Liberty, I tend to assume a female, at least until there's reason to think otherwise.

Actually, it seems like quite a few people who fit Doe's description aren't in NamUs. Not many details on any of them, that I can find at least. If you don't mind checking them out, I'd like to know if any are worth contacting their departments about!
Paul Michals: Paul Michals – The Charley Project

The height and age are within range.

But according to this Denver Post article, Paul Michals "was last seen a year ago [i.e., 2000] on the rocky south coast of Crete, the Mediterranean island where he explored ruins of early western civilization."

If that's true, then maybe the Charley Project says "Missing From Denver, Colorado" because that's his hometown, presumably from which he traveled to Greece, and it's unknown if he came back or not? Clearly, Paul was comfortable around ruins by himself so he might be equally comfortable camping alone.

The height and age are within range.

But according to this Denver Post article, Paul Michals "was last seen a year ago [i.e., 2000] on the rocky south coast of Crete, the Mediterranean island where he explored ruins of early western civilization."

If that's true, then maybe the Charley Project says "Missing From Denver, Colorado" because that's his hometown, presumably from which he traveled to Greece, and it's unknown if he came back or not? Clearly, Paul was comfortable around ruins by himself so he might be equally comfortable camping alone.

Fantastic find, thank you! I'm going to rule him out for now, because although it sounds like he's still alive, I wouldn't expect him to return. It sounds like he was looking at going international. Its not impossible, but I wouldn't expect him to use a fake passport just to go back home. Yeah, they might think he's missing in Greece, but getting caught with a fake passport in a foreign country, by the US government doesnt sound worth it.
It sucks though, because with him being so adventurous, it wouldn't be a leap for him to have flown on a glider!

Anyone able to find info on a man name Paul Hemming? I couldn't find any details at all, but maybe you'll have better luck than me
He's a 5'10", 63 year old caucasian, who went missing in 1998 from Adams Colorado.
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Paul Hemming

Sooooo... i found this grave
Paul D Hemming (1952-1998) - Find A Grave...
Do you think its a mistake with the department- he died in Missouri and some on ne else had published a report in Colorodo? Or do you think he went missing and they declared him dead... the same year??? Or a different person all together?
I am confusion
Edit: I emailed the CBI

Last edited:
Do you think its a mistake with the department- he died in Missouri and some on ne else had published a report in Colorodo? Or do you think he went missing and they declared him dead... the same year??? Or a different person all together?
I am confusion

Yes, it's quite possible his family did have him declared deceased even if he was still missing, and based on other cases I've seen, the place of death might be listed as the place he disappeared from, as his home, or sometimes as the place where the relative asking for the declaration lives.

It does need to be checked. Thanks for asking them!

BBM: That's a very good point! I hadn't thought about that, and it makes sense.

I don't know, though... looking some more, I think now that the bleed-through is from page 1 down. In the second pic you posted, the "ET" from "gET" looks much clearer to me on page 1 than page 2, where it looks faded. And when you factor in the "Y" or "9", which to me looks fully formed on page 1 and less so on the following pages, bleed-through from page 1 down is more likely to me.

Thanks so much by the way for the comparisons of the three letters you posted. The enlarged versions come out too pixelated on my desktop and smartphone, but I can still see the general gist of it.

I would say the reason the Y looks like a nine is from a bleed through from another page that was on top of page 1. There are some additional pages that investigators determined to be "illegible" but they said the same thing about some of these pages.

This one is more accurate

Wow! Yeah now I can see why the FBI deemed it "illegible"... even if you can make out letters or whole words, you can't tell what page they belong to!

Also, look at "THE BODY" from page 1, and you can see it in the same place on page 2.

So the bottom part of page 3 doesn't really exist. It's all just soak through from page 2 right?

I had wondered about that too... why it is that on page 3, you can see writing in odd places like the edges, but the page itself looks mostly blank. I think now we know why. Maybe page 3 has been blank all along!

Great work btw! It's great to see it all side by side like that.

In my opinion, I think it shows that page 1 is likely to be the most intact, and that the soak-through was from page 1 down, rather than the reverse. Page 1 is the most legible and also looks the most weathered, leading me to think it was exposed to the elements more than the rest. Of course, could it work like lividity on a corpse, where the liquid (blood or water) pools at the bottom due to gravity? But then I think page 1 would be a lot less legible since everything from pages 2-3 would've pooled onto it... unless there was nothing written on those pages!

I am confusion

Must be a different Paul Hemming. The birthday is different, and the Paul from Colorado went missing in 2001.

From Charley Project: Paul Michals – The Charley Project
Missing Since 01/24/2001
Missing From Denver, Colorado
Date of Birth 02/06/1953

From Find-a-grave: Paul D Hemming (1952-1998) - Find A Grave...
BIRTH 28 Jun 1952
DEATH 31 Jan 1998 (aged 45)

Last edited:
I suspect that the glider joke has nothing to do with gliders, as such, but simply refers to a known tendency toward airsickness.

Wow - yes, I think you are correct. It would seem we really only have one page. Was nothing written on the back of it?

I don't think he wrote on the back of any page because, for all of the letters/words that have apparently soaked through, not one looks "backwards" or "reversed" to me. I think if he had written on the back, especially covering a full page as he did with page 1, we would see more backwards or reversed letters.

This is what I was talking about. The first image is ONLY the bleed through on page 2 which would have gotten there by soaking through from page 1. The second image is the bleed through from page 2 super imposed over the same part of page 1. There's a few other places that this could be done.

Attachments

• background removed.jpg
    background removed.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 60
  • combinec.jpg
    combinec.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 70
  • superimposed.jpg
    superimposed.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 55

Members online

Online statistics