MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

As expected, letters (44 of them) speaking of the kindness and compassion that Noor has exhibited are pouring into the courthouse.

One would hope that Justine's friends and family will be given the same consideration ... of all the kindness and compassion they and the world have now lost since Justine was murdered.

Before sentencing, Noor supporters speak of his kindness and compassion

And no surprises here .... "Some family members and others who know him also questioned the impact of a long sentence for Noor, arguing that it could complicate police recruitment efforts in the Somali American community."
I'm embarrassed for anyone who would think that police recruitment efforts should be considered in his sentence.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who would think that police recruitment efforts should be considered in his sentence.

We had a murderer here who was given a ridiculously low sentence for killing his wife, Karen Ristevski. Part of the reason was the character letters put forward. Prosecution are appealing his absurdly low sentence.

I hope something similar doesn't happen in this case.

Former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor, who shot dead Australian life coach Justine Ruszczyk Damond in an alley, has received a 12.5-year prison sentence.

Emotions ran high inside the downtown Minneapolis courtroom on Friday with victim impact statements from Ms Damond's family read and they continued outside when Noor's supporters shouted an injustice had been delivered.

https://7news.com.au/news/crime/us-cop-gets-125-years-for-aussies-murder-c-155109

A former US police officer has been jailed over the death of an unarmed Australian woman who had been trying to report a crime when he shot her dead.

On Friday, Judge Kathryn Quaintance sentenced him to 12 years and six months behind bars.

“The act may have been based on a miscalculation, but it was an intentional act,” Ms Quaintance said. “Good people sometimes do bad things.”
Former US cop jailed over Australian woman’s death

When I read the Aussie articles about this sentencing, they are so different from the US articles. A massive difference in our two cultures about the way we look at things, and the things that we want to hear. Justine's Aussie family did not travel there for the sentencing.

Judge Kathryn Quaintance said the jury members who convicted Noor had asked when the US police culture would change.
"Will there be changes? Change is needed," she said.
"Will some of the supervising officers be fired? Why should a civilian be afraid of approaching a squad car? What about the motto on the car to serve with compassion?"

The judge said Noor had expressed remorse for the consequences of his actions but not the murder itself.
"He does not take personal responsibility for making an erroneous decision to fire a gun at her," she said.
"He has not acknowledged that he could have handled the situation in any other way."

Noor's lawyers Tom Plunkett and Peter Wold had filed a court motion seeking no prison time in which they noted Noor "was never late for court". :rolleyes:

In Australia it seemed inexplicable — a woman fulfils her civic duty by calling police because she thinks someone is being raped only to end up dead herself.
The case was nowhere near as surprising to Americans, who are used to seeing roughly 1,000 deaths from police shootings a year.

US police officer jailed for shooting Australian woman after she called 911

" The judge said Noor had expressed remorse for the consequences of his actions but not the murder itself.
"He does not take personal responsibility for making an erroneous decision to fire a gun at her," she said.
"He has not acknowledged that he could have handled the situation in any other way.""

This is very interesting and insightful. I bet that Noor was told over and over to express sorrow for the death, but stay with the line that he did the right thing...in order to continue to stay with his justification that he was protecting his partner from being shot. Aside from the fact that he never saw a gun.

Noor continues to defend his position that he did the right thing. And refuses to admit anything else. Glad he received 12.5 years.

I hope police departments around the country paid close attention to this situation. If an officer in training isn't suitable, it doesn't matter what their race or culture is...

" The judge said Noor had expressed remorse for the consequences of his actions but not the murder itself.
"He has not acknowledged that he could have handled the situation in any other way.""

This is very interesting and insightful. I bet that Noor was told over and over to express sorrow for the death, but stay with the line that he did the right thing...in order to continue to stay with his justification that he was protecting his partner from being shot. Aside from the fact that he never saw a gun.

Noor continues to defend his position that he did the right thing. And refuses to admit anything else. Glad he received 12.5 years.

I hope police departments around the country paid close attention to this situation. If an officer in training isn't suitable, it doesn't matter what their race or culture is...

Yes. I have to admit I was a little upset to see a pic of the protest outside the courtroom during the sentencing.
He murdered one of our Aussie girls, one who did absolutely nothing wrong. We don't care what colour or race he is. He is a murderer.

Yes. I have to admit I was a little upset to see a pic of the protest outside the courtroom during the sentencing.
He murdered one of our Aussie girls, one who did absolutely nothing wrong. We don't care what colour or race he is. He is a murderer.

I thought the protest was disgusting---those protestors are ignorant

Appeal process has probably already started.
One thing I’ve learned following true crime cases is that the appeals process starts in the first trial...many of the “objections” constantly being inserted by defense lawyers are to “preserve the record” so they can try to find legal technicalities on which to appeal the verdict.

One thing I’ve learned following true crime cases is that the appeals process starts in the first trial...many of the “objections” constantly being inserted by defense lawyers are to “preserve the record” so they can try to find legal technicalities on which to appeal the verdict.

Right, and appeal on the sentencing as well. It is a bit confusing, because some criminals have managed to get "house" arrest during the appeal process, and others don't. I am not sure how it is determined. Even people who killed someone were eligible for this...but Noor went directly to prison.

YES! I think it is a fair sentence. Now, let's hope it sticks.[/QUOTE

What does 12.5 years really mean?
I am regularly shocked when some violent killer gets 50 years but is
Eligible for parole in 20 years-- and is actually released after only 20 years.
I have come to realize for example
That a life sentence, unless it is without parole, means nothing--the killer
Could get a lot less time than one would think so 12.5 years.
He could be out in 5 years with so called good behavior

We should send Borce Ristevski's judge to America. These protesters might appreciate a judge who gives a few years to a killer whom he praised as "good character" and has "good prospects" of rehabilitation. Maybe he would actually entertain the symbolic probatory sentence as requested by Noor....

Mohamed Noor's statement at his sentencing:

'I can't apologize enough': Noor expresses remorse at sentencing

Public view of Noor's Dept of Corrections info:

Current Status:
Incarcerated as of 05/02/2019. Currently at MCF Oak Park Heights.
Anticipated Release Date:
08/30/2027
Expiration Date:
10/26/2031

Details

Justine Damond Tribute video played at Mohamed Noor's sentencing. Such a lovely soul. Truly a beautiful part of so many people's lives.

Justine's duckling rescue is beautiful-- she makes sure the mother duck has cover and security in a shrub and flowerbed when returning the ducklings.

Watch: Justine Ruszczyk Damond tribute video played at Noor sentencing

Former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor, who shot dead Australian life coach Justine Ruszczyk Damond in an alley, has received a 12.5-year prison sentence.

Emotions ran high inside the downtown Minneapolis courtroom on Friday with victim impact statements from Ms Damond's family read and they continued outside when Noor's supporters shouted an injustice had been delivered.

https://7news.com.au/news/crime/us-cop-gets-125-years-for-aussies-murder-c-155109

From your link--it's all about him. Poor pitiful him. He's gross.

"The process of the courts and the lawyers (are) so cruel in the way it makes us behave to each other.

"The system is de-humanising."

ETA I just read his full statement and want to vomit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back