Recovered/Located Canadian students kidnapped while on exchange in Ghana, 6 June 2019

dotr

Reaction score
June 6, 2019
2 Canadians kidnapped while on exchange in Ghana
image.jpg

Ghana officials say two Canadians have been abducted from the country’s second-largest city while they were on exchange.

According to police and local media, the two students were attending Kumasi Technical University.

A spokesperson for Global Affairs Canada confirmed to CTV News that Canadians have been kidnapped in Ghana and they’re providing assistance to the individuals’ families. The department didn’t specify how many Canadians were abducted.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canadians-kidnapped-in-ghana-global-affairs-canada-says-1.5164413

"Local media have reported that two women were abducted in Kumasi, a major city in central Ghana.

GAC did not confirm specifics or offer information about the number of people abducted, citing security concerns."

"Kidnappings in this area are not commonplace but analysts suggest this latest incident is more likely linked to criminal gangs seeking a swift ransom payoff than more militant groups.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been adamant that his government will not facilitate payments to such groups, while his predecessor Stephen Harper publicly denied paying any ransoms."

Two Canadian women kidnapped in Kumasi, Ghana, say authorities
"Three local girls are still missing, after vanishing between August 2018 and January 2019.

President Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo addressed the spate of kidnappings last month.

“We are all concerned about this phenomenon of kidnappings which we have not known,” he said. “I am very, very determined on the issue and decisions are being taken as we seek what will be a clear manifestation of the determination I have to deal with this matter.”

There will be long, long "negotiations" probably. With the families having to pay enormous sums to the "negotiators" (who are in cahoots with the kidnappers). In the meantime, the victims will likely be transported around to various groups for safekeeping (who gain clout for this) and are subjected to less than proper treatment.

There will be long, long "negotiations" probably. With the families having to pay enormous sums to the "negotiators" (who are in cahoots with the kidnappers). In the meantime, the victims will likely be transported around to various groups for safekeeping (who gain clout for this) and are subjected to less than proper treatment.
About to say the same thing..smh.. Ghana, no thanks..

Yes, I remember the Amanda Lindhout kidnapping, (Somalia) they were scrambling to come up with money. She was moved around, and in captive over 1 year.

June 6, 2019
2 Canadians kidnapped while on exchange in Ghana
image.jpg

Ghana officials say two Canadians have been abducted from the country’s second-largest city while they were on exchange.

According to police and local media, the two students were attending Kumasi Technical University.

A spokesperson for Global Affairs Canada confirmed to CTV News that Canadians have been kidnapped in Ghana and they’re providing assistance to the individuals’ families. The department didn’t specify how many Canadians were abducted.

What were they thinking! Who lets their 19 and 20 year old children go to such a dangerous part of the world to teach local youth how to be successful?

"The 19-year-old and 20-year-old women were abducted from the Ahodwo district in the country’s second-largest city on Tuesday evening.

CTV News has confirmed the women were volunteering for Youth Challenge International, a Toronto-based non-governmental organization operating in Ghana."
2 young Canadian women kidnapped in Ghana
Many of the links in the original website redirect to other similar named websites. From the organization website:

"Funded by the Government of Canada under the Canada Service Corps program, Innovate MY Future brings together the GTHA’s leading social innovation organizations to inspire youth civic engagement in local climate change-related issues and needs."​

I personally think that the government should stop funding any organization that sends 19 and 20 year old girls into dangerous environments so they can mentor local youth. It is so incredibly irresponsible and ill conceived. What makes a 19 year old qualified to mentor an 18 year old in another country? It's completely illogical.

Names initialed bm.
Photos of kidnapped Canadians pop up
"IMAGES of the two kidnapped Canadian women have popped up in Kumasi as the security agencies up their game to rescue them.

L T, 19, and B C 20, both students working as volunteers in Ghana for an international development organisation, Youth Challenge International, were allegedly abducted on Tuesday night and taken to unknown destination by some gun-wielding men.

The captors had ambushed the young women on a driveway at Ahodwo-Nhyiaeso near the Royal Gulf Club in Kumasi, whilst returning from a food joint in an Uber car.

They were bundled into a Toyota Camry saloon car and whisked away after stepping out of the car to go to their hostel at the Silver Spring avenue.

Meanwhile, the Travel information guide of Canada has cautioned Canadians in Ghana about violent crimes in the country.

In a June 5, 2019 tweet, the guide warned Canadians that they could suffer violent crimes such as kidnapping and armed robbery while in the country, urging them to be aware of their surroundings and avoid walking alone or displaying signs of wealth."

I wonder if all the volunteers for YCI have to find their own accommodations in hostels. Other than putting these young women on a plane and telling them where to show up to work for free, what does YCI do? How much money do volunteers have to have in order to be accepted as volunteers?

"Lauren Patricia Catherine Tilley, 19, and Bailey Jordan Chitty, 20, both students working as volunteers in Ghana for an international development organisation, Youth Challenge International, were allegedly abducted on Tuesday night and taken to unknown destination by some gun-wielding men."​

Photos of kidnapped Canadians pop up

I was curious about the people who run YCI and, no surprise, they've removed the page that identifies who is responsible for putting those girls in Ghana:

upload_2019-6-7_12-39-16.png

They removed the information from their website on June 5, but a cache copy is usually available for a few days. I can understand why they would want to hide their identities. I'm wondering if this organization is affiliated with any religious organization.

I can understand 19 and 20 year olds wanting an adventure and being oblivious to dangers, but why would their parents agree to this? Did they have no choice because their daughters are headstrong, or did they actually think it was a great humanitarian adventure?
What were they studying as students. Maybe journalism? I know it' not the same, but my son went to Guam for work for 6 months (all expenses paid) during college. They promote these kinds of adventures to college kids. Moo

What were they studying as students. Maybe journalism? I know it' not the same, but my son went to Guam for work for 6 months (all expenses paid) during college. They promote these kinds of adventures to college kids. Moo

Was he living in a hostel and taking ride share to restaurants for meals?

These 19 and 20 year old women were volunteers, not students. "CTV News has confirmed the women were volunteering for Youth Challenge International, a Toronto-based non-governmental organization operating in Ghana."

Two Canadian Aid Workers Kidnapped at Golf Club in Ghana: Police
"The pair were volunteering for the Youth Challenge International NGO in Ghana, the statement said.

Kidnapping for ransom is common across West Africa. In northern parts of the region, on the edge of the Sahara, it is associated with Islamist terrorists and allied gangs who often hold hostages incommunicado for years. But in southern or central cities like Kumasi, it is normally the work with regular criminals and often swiftly resolved."

Was he living in a hostel and taking ride share to restaurants for meals?

These 19 and 20 year old women were volunteers, not students. "CTV News has confirmed the women were volunteering for Youth Challenge International, a Toronto-based non-governmental organization operating in Ghana."

It was posted up-thread they were students. Also, I was just giving an example of how they were recruited to YCI.
"Lauren Patricia Catherine Tilley, 19, and Bailey Jordan Chitty, 20, both students working as volunteers in Ghana for an international development organisation, Youth Challenge International, were allegedly abducted on Tuesday night and taken to unknown destination by some gun-wielding men."

Edit to add: my son stayed at the resort and meals were provided, but would go outside the resort with other workers to other locations around the area.

Last edited:
It was posted up-thread they were students. Also, I was just giving an example of how they were recruited to YCI.
"Lauren Patricia Catherine Tilley, 19, and Bailey Jordan Chitty, 20, both students working as volunteers in Ghana for an international development organisation, Youth Challenge International, were allegedly abducted on Tuesday night and taken to unknown destination by some gun-wielding men."

Edit to add: my son stayed at the resort and meals were provided, but would go outside the resort with other workers to other locations around the area.

I think reports about them being students might be correct, but in Ghana they were volunteering with YCI, living in a hostel and eating at restaurants. That gives me the impression that the organization did little more than tell them were to spend their time to volunteer.

Given that this organization is all about empowering youth, how were two 19 and 20 year old girls from Canada going to mentor or empower 17 and 18 year old girls in Ghana? What's the thinking, that because they are from Canada they have something more than similar aged women in other countries? I don't think so.

What were the board members and employees of YCI thinking when they decided that a 19 year old girl should fly to Ghana, live in a hostel, eat at restaurants and what exactly is her mission for YCI? What was she supposed to achieve and what is the scope of the project? How many other children between the ages of 18 and 21 are part of this program?

They removed the information from their website on June 5, but a cache copy is usually available for a few days. I can understand why they would want to hide their identities. I'm wondering if this organization is affiliated with any religious organization.

I can understand 19 and 20 year olds wanting an adventure and being oblivious to dangers, but why would their parents agree to this? Did they have no choice because their daughters are headstrong, or did they actually think it was a great humanitarian adventure?
19 and 20 year olds are considered adults. They don't need permission from parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back