Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is about an American tourist's death July 2018 at a Hard Rock resort in DR, with cause of death attributed to pulmonary edema and heart attack Charles Co. woman has new doubts about husband’s 2018 death in Dominican Republic | WTOP

Something is causing the pulmonary edema and heart attack in these people, IMO. I wonder about the thoroughness of the autopsies.

bbm
Yes -- and I wonder about more than that...
I surely hope that autopsies can be done in the US if the families or the US gov't. request one. Also, I hope that the necessary organs and bodily fluids will be there and that the US Medical Examiner(s) will have enuff of the organs or tissues or fluids, etc., to do what they need to do. If everything is on the up-and-up, then the DR should not be blamed. But if it turns out that pesticides or tampered beverages, etc., are to blame, people everywhere need to know. It may indeed be that the DR does not know of the dangers of whatever caused these deaths -- if that is how it turns out.

Folks, it's early in this case, so please stick to discussing the specifics of this case without discussing and linking to many other cases from all over the place that may not be related. It gets very confusing when members start discussing details of numerous cases when other member and guests are coming to read about this particular case.

Thanks.

Previous note from Moderator.

Please read!!

JMO the focus right now on this thread should be on the resort in question and related to at least 3 deaths and possibly 1 other a year ago as well as the Colorado couple who fell ill. Not what may have happened in Punta Cana or elsewhere in the DR and completely unrelated. Otherwise it’s going to get even more confusing than it already is.

Agreed Mom. The additional cases that have come to light related to that particular resort are fine to discuss.

What a bunch of BS that statement is.
Yep. Standard company PR. I just hope we can find out what really happened -- the cause(s).
I will say again, if something is indeed wrong, be it pesticides, cleaning materials, etc., people need to know, and the hotels need to make changes as necessary.

More notable quotes from article:

"'I was vomiting. I had stomach pains. The chemical burns were all over. I still don’t have sensation in my tongue,' she said.

"She said it started the day after she took a sip from the drink.

"'The next day I was nauseous. I was in pain, and all I could have was ice,' she said.

"A medical report from the clinic she visited said she had a 'pain in the dorsal and lateral region of the tongue, accompanied with vomiting'.

"She claims the hotel offered her a free dinner and a free couple's massage in exchange for her signing an NDA but that she refused."

If the symptoms didn't start until a day later then it definitely wasn't any sort of strong acid or base that you'd find in a household cleaner like bleach, which would cause an immediate reaction.

And then the hotel tries to bribe her not to talk? What the heck is going on?!

This all sounds quite nefarious.
A NDA -- now that really puts a light on it, doesn't it?! And of course she refused. Maybe I'm too suspicious-minded -- I can see them trying to be caring and generous, but coupled with a Non-disclosure agreement sounds paranoid and certainly like they are trying to keep things quiet, to say the least. Now what would make them do that? SMH. That, IMO, really says something, doesn't it?

Yeah. I like the part where the resort says it is "collaborating" with authorities (rather than "cooperating" with authorities).
I was bothered from the start by the use of “unfortunate events”. Unfortunate to who? Certainly he can’t be describing the deaths of 3 people on their property as “unfortunate”. Unfortunate is messing up their room requests. Unfortunate is the power being out or having no water on your 5 star resort vacation. Being sent home in a body bag is not unfortunate.

rbbm.
Rohypnol: Effects, Hazards & Methods of Abuse - Drugs.com
"The so-called “date-rape drug” was placed unknowingly in the drinks of victims, often at a bar or party (“club drug”). Due to the strong amnesia produced by the drug, victims would have limited or no memory of the assault."

"Amnesia is an expected pharmacologic effect of benzodiazepines. Rohypnol causes partial amnesia; individuals are unable to remember certain events that they experience while under the influence of the drug. However, this effect is particularly dangerous when Rohypnol is used illicitly to aid in sexual assault. Victims may not be able to clearly recall the assault, the assailant, or the events surrounding the assault."
Thank you for this

I was bothered from the start by the use of “unfortunate events”. Unfortunate to who? Certainly he can’t be describing the deaths of 3 people on their property as “unfortunate”. Unfortunate is messing up their room requests. Unfortunate is the power being out or having no water on your 5 star resort vacation. Being sent home in a body bag is not unfortunate.
Yah and how they says “two events”. Trying to downplay it even more by grouping the three deaths into two “events”.

This is another (possibly related) case. I'll flag this post if mods want to remove.

A 51-yr-old woman Yvette Sport died just hours after after drinking from the mini bar at Bahia Principe hotel in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in 2018. Death certificate gives heart attack as cause of death. Sport's sister states Sport was in good health at the time of her death.

"“She drank from the mini-bar, took a shower, and wanted to retire for the evening,” Nieves said.

"When Sport’s fiancé woke up the next morning however, he noticed she was unresponsive.

"“He tried to nudge her again and there was no sound and then she was gone,” Nieves said."

Sister of Pa. Woman Who Died in DR Last Year Speaks Out

IF the Bahia Principe Hotel in Punta Cana is the same chain as the Bahia Principe in La Romana, then it can be discussed. They are less than a one hour drive apart, so it is possible that a chain of hotels might be using the same products/chemicals (?) that could end up being at fault.

IF the Bahia Principe Hotel in Punta Cana is the same chain as the Bahia Principe in La Romana, then it can be discussed. They are less than a one hour drive apart, so it is possible that a chain of hotels might be using the same products/chemicals (?) that could end up being at fault.

It appears they are in the same chain per the company's website:

Our Resorts - Bahia Principe Hotels&Resorts

This is another (possibly related) case. I'll flag this post if mods want to remove.

A 51-yr-old woman Yvette Sport died just hours after after drinking from the mini bar at Bahia Principe hotel in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in 2018. Death certificate gives heart attack as cause of death. Sport's sister states Sport was in good health at the time of her death.

"“She drank from the mini-bar, took a shower, and wanted to retire for the evening,” Nieves said.

"When Sport’s fiancé woke up the next morning however, he noticed she was unresponsive.

"“He tried to nudge her again and there was no sound and then she was gone,” Nieves said."

Sister of Pa. Woman Who Died in DR Last Year Speaks Out

Here's another article I found related to Yvette Monique Sport: What’s going on? A 4th American died at Dominican Republic resort

Yep. Standard company PR. I just hope we can find out what really happened -- the cause(s).
I will say again, if something is indeed wrong, be it pesticides, cleaning materials, etc., people need to know, and the hotels need to make changes as necessary.
Is that really standard? If so that’s crazy! If I was doing damage control I would A) Acknowledge the events as tragic not unfortunate and send condolences to the families B) Acknowledge the public’s concern and express concern as well to provide answers as quickly as possible C) Attempt to regain the public’s trust by listing what precautions have been put in place to ensure their visitors safety or at least what is being done to rule out anything that may have caused 3 sudden deaths in 5 days if in the event they were not natural deaths. D) and yes cooperate with both local and American investigations.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members