NH NH/CA - Terry Peder Rasmussen, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case, that she was told Marlyse was married to a man named Rasmussen, I'm surprised her family didn't look him up periodically on the internet. That's how I found my old college roommate after decades: once or twice a year I plugged in her name and did a google search. One day, she just popped up. Had they done that, eventually, TR would have, too.

If that's the case, that she was told Marlyse was married to a man named Rasmussen, I'm surprised her family didn't look him up periodically on the internet. That's how I found my old college roommate after decades: once or twice a year I plugged in her name and did a google search. One day, she just popped up. Had they done that, eventually, TR would have, too.
They may have done, just not in the time period between Rasmussen being named in August 2017 and the researcher making contact.

There wasn't any public info about him out there before then that could have linked him to Allenstown.

It sounds like one side of the family didn't know his first name and the other side didn't know his last name. Terry is a common first name. Rasmussen is a common surname. Last night I tried going through the list of all the girls born with the last name Rasmussen in 1975 and 1976 in California only, and then ruling out any that were clearly still living after 1981. I got overwhelmed at the number of Rasmussens-- there are way too many girls that have nothing more for records after their birth record. And California birth records only give mother's maiden name. They don't list the father. But if Rasmussen was using his real name when middle child was born and she was given his last name, that is one way we might find her name. JMO.

It sounds like one side of the family didn't know his first name and the other side didn't know his last name. Terry is a common first name. Rasmussen is a common surname. Last night I tried going through the list of all the girls born with the last name Rasmussen in 1975 and 1976 in California only, and then ruling out any that were clearly still living after 1981. I got overwhelmed at the number of Rasmussens-- there are way too many girls that have nothing more for records after their birth record. And California birth records only give mother's maiden name. They don't list the father. But if Rasmussen was using his real name when middle child was born and she was given his last name, that is one way we might find her name. JMO.

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is the way Google search works, it suggests the most popular search for what you're looking for, so chances are if they plugged in Rasmussen at some point, his face would have popped up first eventually, but it would have depended on the timing. Terry might have worked for a short time, too, if they searched for a Terry when he was in the news, but I understand what you're saying. The thought might have been so overwhelming, it wasn't attempted.
It's possible the middle child didn't carry his last name because TR wasn't married to her mother. She may have used her maiden name. I also know women, including my aunt, who used their ex-husband's last names for their kids with different fathers so they'd be the same as their older siblings. One woman did it because she didn't like the sound of the baby daddy's last name.
As I suspected long ago, there were many family members of each victim (Marlyse's family, Marie's paternal family and Sarah's paternal family) all holding different pieces of the puzzle, each looking for them, but hadn't connected.

In regards to the middle child who is still unidentified, I read on the Doe network that she could be of Native American descent. I think if there is something to that it could explain why we can't find the identity or any trace of the child's mother. It could be that her family if they are still around could be cut off from the outside world and they may have their own ideas and ways of solving the woman or girls disappearance. If she is in fact native american she could have been a victim of the sixties scoop and perhaps ran away from a foster or adoptive family who may not care that she went missing or just thought she ran away and would be fine on her own. I hope in the future there is a way we might be able to find out more about the middle child using what dna they have.

This is absolutely incredible! I can't believe I just saw pictures of their beautiful faces!

I am at work on break so can't read more articles.

"On Thanksgiving in 1978 in La Puente, Calif., Honeychurch, her two daughters and a man she identified as Rasmussen went to her mother’s house. The two were in a relationship at the time. Honeychurch’s daughter Marie was 6 at the time, and her daughter Sarah was just under a year old. Honeychurch had an argument with her mother, and she was never seen by the family again." Three victims found in barrels in decades-old Bear Brook murders cold case in New Hampshire identified, authorities say

Notice TR's daughter wasn't mentioned as being there. I wonder when she came into his custody, if Honeychurch was Elizabeth Evans, and what event lead them/him to change name(s). Parental abduction of his daughter maybe? Oh yeah, and when did he come back to California after being in Texa?

Marlyse, Marie, and Sarah. So incredible!

A daughter's anguish: Her father was the Bear Brook killer
"Andrea Stiers remembers visiting her father in New Hampshire in the mid-1970s, staying with him in a camper near a state park. She also remembers meeting an adorable little girl her father introduced as her sister.

Last year, police told Stiers that her father was a serial killer, the man who killed a woman and three children and disposed of their bodies in barrels hidden on property near Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown. And DNA tests have proved that the so-called “middle child,” the only one whose identity remains unknown, was her half-sister.

“It’s horrifying,” Stiers said in a telephone interview last week. “And even though it’s not my fault, I’m ashamed.”

Stiers lives in Claremont now, but she grew up Andrea Rasmussen in California, the youngest of four children. She was little when her parents split up and has only a few memories of her father, Terry Peder Rasmussen.

But she said she was never afraid of him. “I don’t remember my dad being violent or angry or mad ever,” she said. She does remember him drinking all the time and passing out on the couch. And she remembers that her mother was always angry at him for that."

From the article linked above: "Stiers believes her half-sister’s mother was Asian; she has a memory of her father showing her a map of Southeast Asia."
I don't have the timeline in front of me, but since Rasmussen was in the Navy at some point, I wonder if he was ever stationed in the Philippines (for example) or traveled there, or somehow met a woman from there who was temporarily in the US (after he was out of the Navy). If the child's mother was from the Philippines or another country in that area, this could help to explain the challenges of locating DNA matches.

Last edited:
They may have done, just not in the time period between Rasmussen being named in August 2017 and the researcher making contact.
There wasn't any public info about him out there before then that could have linked him to Allenstown.

BBM for focus.
That's why I said periodically. Until my college roommate created a FB account, she never came up in my internet searches. Eventually, she did, front and center.

"Andrea Stiers remembers visiting her father in New Hampshire in the mid-1970s, staying with him in a camper near a state park. She also remembers meeting an adorable little girl her father introduced as her sister.

Last year, police told Stiers that her father was a serial killer, the man who killed a woman and three children and disposed of their bodies in barrels hidden on property near Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown. And DNA tests have proved that the so-called “middle child,” the only one whose identity remains unknown, was her half-sister.

“It’s horrifying,” Stiers said in a telephone interview last week. “And even though it’s not my fault, I’m ashamed.”

Stiers lives in Claremont now, but she grew up Andrea Rasmussen in California, the youngest of four children. She was little when her parents split up and has only a few memories of her father, Terry Peder Rasmussen.

But she said she was never afraid of him. “I don’t remember my dad being violent or angry or mad ever,” she said. She does remember him drinking all the time and passing out on the couch. And she remembers that her mother was always angry at him for that."

Wow! New pieces of information!

Andrea Stiers remembers visiting her father in New Hampshire in the mid-1970s, staying with him in a camper near a state park. She also remembers meeting an adorable little girl her father introduced as her sister.

She also remembers her mother was very angry about the child and said she wasn’t really their sister. And she wonders if there are others out there. “With my dad’s history, I wonder how many kids he had with how many women,” she said. “I wonder if I have a sibling somewhere. I hope I do.”

Stiers said she has “happy memories” of that camping trip, which she figures must have been in 1975 or 1976, when she was just 3 or 4 years old. Her dad was staying in a camper on property adjacent to Bear Brook. The man who owned the property ran a general store there, she said, and she remembers going to the store to get cigarettes for her father.

Authorities say the last time Rasmussen visited his family was in December of either 1975 or 1976, and there was a woman with him at the time.

Stiers remembers that visit, although she doesn’t remember a woman. The family was living in a trailer, she recalled, and it had snowed overnight. She does recall making snowcones with her dad. “We used coffee cups and put Kool-Aid in it,” she said. “I think that’s the last time we saw him.”

Her mother being angry about her ex-husbands daughter is weird to me. Could their marriage have fallen apart due to an affair with the child's mother? If the ex-wife is still alive I hope she does an interview. The article also mentions she wouldn't let her children talk about their father. My grandmother has a similar story, my mom's birth father was a alcoholic and also suffered from schizophrenia. He was violent towards her and she cut all ties after their divorce after a few run-ins (one involved an attempted parental abduction). When I asked about him as a teen she almost didn't even want to tell me his name. Through Ancestry I found my mom has a half-sister from him that my mom didn't know about and they met for the first time in their 50's a few years ago.

As for the timeline, this is very interesting! If TR was in New Hampshire in the mid-70s it adds some questions.

Wasn't he in Texas during the time of his last family visit in 1975/76?

Did he really jump around that much? New Hampshire to Texas to California (met Marlyse at some point in 1978) and back to New Hampshire under a new name?

About the alias, why would he return to an area that he used to live with an alias? What if someone recognized him?

Who was his daughter staying with when he was in Texas and at Marlyse's familys Thanksgiving?

PastTense thank you for posting this article!

I'm blown away that this thread is only 1 page deep from the time the announcement took place of the identification of the 3 until now. I thought I'd be sifting through 10+ pages.

As awesome that it is that they have names, I'm more confused than ever about this case.

The timeline now is really giving me troubles as it appears his time in Texas seems to have shrunk. Was he not there in 1978? We had hard information putting him there working on a rig and leaving in the summer of 1978. Did he go straight to CA after leaving that job where he met Marlyse? That's a pretty short window to become acquainted enough to be invited to a Thanksgiving dinner.

I've always speculated that the middle child had ties to Texas and to the woman who Terry brought with to AZ for the Christmas visit.

I was also hoping to hear AG Strelzin mention the infant that was with Lisa a few times as a potential victim along with the middle child, her mother and Denise. I feel not enough has been mentioned about this child, who would also have had a mother.

I'm blown away that this thread is only 1 page deep from the time the announcement took place of the identification of the 3 until now. I thought I'd be sifting through 10+ pages.

As awesome that it is that they have names, I'm more confused than ever about this case.

The timeline now is really giving me troubles as it appears his time in Texas seems to have shrunk. Was he not there in 1978? We had hard information putting him there working on a rig and leaving in the summer of 1978. Did he go straight to CA after leaving that job where he met Marlyse? That's a pretty short window to become acquainted enough to be invited to a Thanksgiving dinner.

I've always speculated that the middle child had ties to Texas and to the woman who Terry brought with to AZ for the Christmas visit.

I was also hoping to hear AG Strelzin mention the infant that was with Lisa a few times as a potential victim along with the middle child, her mother and Denise. I feel not enough has been mentioned about this child, who would also have had a mother.
There’s a good conversation going on in the victims’ thread.

NH - NH - Allenstown, Adult Female & 3 Children, found Nov'85 & May'00 #2

It seems like he was traveling back and forth to all those places for several years. Lots of traveling, but some people do that.

But you're right, it doesn't seem to fit very well.

This article has another picture from the party. A little blurry but it's a group photo of the children in the living room. IMO the child to the left of Marie in the photo where she's blowing out the candles looks like our unidentified 4th victim. She looks to be toddler aged.

Bear Brook killings: An old photo raises more questions

Bear Brook killings: An old photo raises more questions

Now authorities are asking the public to look closely at the photos they released showing Marie Vaughn at her 7th or 8th birthday party. Believed to be in 1978 or 1979, the party could have been somewhere on the East Coast, perhaps even in New Hampshire.

“If anyone recognizes any of the children in that photograph, or the location, we would certainly be interested,” State Police Sgt. Matthew Koehler from the cold case unit said at Thursday’s briefing.

The holes in the timeline are driving me crazy. A large national media blitz could generate tips to fill in those holes. Something much broader than what they did a few years ago when they sent press releases to the places he possibly had ties to.

Using this article as a reference point just because it’s the one I have open on my iPad just now: True ID of ‘Chameleon’ Killer Revealed: Terry Peder Rasmussen. “Gaps remain in the timeline and the narrative of Rasmussen’s marathon ... the time periods 1974 to 1978, 1981 to 1984, and 1986 to 1988.”

When using the known aliases he was charged with things like traffic violations and stealing electricity. I find it hard to believe that he wasn’t also arrested for this sort of stuff between 1974-1978, 1981-1984 and 1986-1988. The questions are: Where was he? What name was he using?

The media blitz should include pictures but also highlight the most notable things - his brilliant blue eyes, a drifter, heavy drinker, talkative, intelligent, charming, manipulative, etc. Is there an official profile of this guy? Clips of his voice would also be good - his voice and speech pattern are distinctive.

Ideally, this would start from the FBI at the national level - top 10 most wanted. Did You Ever Know Him? Sent to every media outlet, police station, post office, etc. in the country. Blast social media, maybe working with Facebook and Twitter to get every person using those platforms to see it. Set up a webpage and toll free number to capture the tips. Ideally create a platform (like a Facebook page) to let the public help sort through them. Let people talk about it, get people motivated to discuss and share the tips, etc. I really think the public is the key to filling in the gaps.

Considering they have a hard address for him in Texas they should be able to come up with some residents who were sharing a neighboring apartment with him.

Considering they have a hard address for him in Texas they should be able to come up with some residents who were sharing a neighboring apartment with him.
I’m sure they’ve done some of that, but it is very labor intensive to track down people that lived in an apartment building 40 years ago. LE resources are better used elsewhere. Besides, they know about the name and location he was using at that time. I’m suggesting a way to start filling in the blanks in the timeline, without draining the resources from LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam